Conquer Club

User Controlled Change-able Fonts

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

User Controlled Change-able Fonts

Postby AdamKeith on Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:26 am

The comic sans (temporary) change brings up the following question: Why doesn't CC allow users to choose what font they view the website in? I don't believe it would be that difficult to program and it would constantly allow users to refresh the look of the site.

Concise description: A script that would allow users to change how they view the site by allowing them to choose and freely change between a (limited) number of fonts.

Specifics/Details: Administrators add 10-20+ different fonts for users to choose between. Maybe the forums would remain in the standard CC font, but users could choose their font when posting. It's all about adding another dimension to the site.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments: It would give the site a facelift, but customized to every user's liking. And when they get tired of one font, the user can just change to another font he/she likes. Post what you think.
Click image to enlarge.
Cadet AdamKeith

Re: User Controlled Change-able Fonts

Postby clangfield on Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:52 am

AdamKeith wrote:The comic sans (temporary) change brings up the following question: Why doesn't CC allow users to choose what font they view the website in? I don't believe it would be that difficult to program and it would constantly allow users to refresh the look of the site.

Concise description: A script that would allow users to change how they view the site by allowing them to choose and freely change between a (limited) number of fonts.

Specifics/Details: Administrators add 10-20+ different fonts for users to choose between. Maybe the forums would remain in the standard CC font, but users could choose their font when posting. It's all about adding another dimension to the site.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments: It would give the site a facelift, but customized to every user's liking. And when they get tired of one font, the user can just change to another font he/she likes. Post what you think.

Agreed. Comic Sans was fun and jolly - about 10 years ago, but I think the novelty has worn off a bit now.
Lieutenant clangfield

Postby rdsrds2120 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:49 am

clangfield wrote:
Agreed. Comic Sans was fun and jolly - about 10 years ago, but I think the novelty has worn off a bit now.

Yeah, which makes it a great April Fool's joke. I chose it because it's the one no one likes, and is the scourge of graphic design typography!

As for the Suggestion, customizable stylesheets and themes is certainly something we've tossed around, and are not opposed to doing. I think, though, that we should wait until we have given the site the actual 'Facelift' it deserves so that they don't have to all be reformatted (or at least, it is my assumption that they'd need to be redone after a great aesthetic revamp).

BMO
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby Funkyterrance on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:28 pm

I want this suggestion to happen!!!
I like the comic sans font and I think it would be cool if I could turn it on any time I wanted.
Fully support this.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:45 am

Isn't there some add-on which automatically changes the fonts of websites you visit?
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:54 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:Isn't there some add-on which automatically changes the fonts of websites you visit?

My computer is so slow at it is I think this might be the straw that broke the camels back if I downloaded it.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby agentcom on Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:04 pm

RDS or blake (or anyone who knows), is there a published phpbb mod for this?
Colonel agentcom

Postby blakebowling on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:28 pm

agentcom wrote:RDS or blake (or anyone who knows), is there a published phpbb mod for this?

No. Also, a phpBB mod wouldn't work in this case (as it'd need to be site wide).
Private blakebowling

Postby agentcom on Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:32 pm

In that case, I'd say it's not worth the effort ...
Colonel agentcom

Return to Suggestions