Conquer Club

Why Don't More People Take Up Freestyle?

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: Why Don't More People Take Up Freestyle?

Postby jsnyder748 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:16 pm

honestly I would spend more time on the computer if I were to play speed games.

8 person games take much less time. You can just check in for 10 seconds.....

As for the farming comment...I hate it...no one plays it because it has the same reputation as speed games. I would rather play private games with other good players, but no one joins.

Game 12449079 first das game in a long time where anyone has challenged me. Why? I don't know. the settings are only for medals. its not as if they scare people.
Colonel jsnyder748

Postby rhp 1 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:04 pm

jsnyder748 wrote:honestly I would spend more time on the computer if I were to play speed games.

As for the farming comment...I hate it...no one plays it because it has the same reputation as speed games. I would rather play private games with other good players, but no one joins.

Game 12449079 first das game in a long time where anyone has challenged me. Why? I don't know. the settings are only for medals. its not as if they scare people.

the farming comment wasn't meant to call anyone out bro.. hell I've been accused of it with the games I play (public 1v1 fs feudal speeders and such) but if you look at waiting games, you'll fine A LOT of quads snail fs games on challenging maps.. team 1? all +2500 point players.. team 2? noob festival... I just find it funny.... but i wasn't calling you out, I know you're legit....
Lieutenant rhp 1

Location: IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING, IT IS BEST TO DO IT....... QUICKLY

Postby jsnyder748 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:28 pm

rhp 1 wrote:
jsnyder748 wrote:honestly I would spend more time on the computer if I were to play speed games.

the farming comment wasn't meant to call anyone out bro.. hell I've been accused of it with the games I play (public 1v1 fs feudal speeders and such) but if you look at waiting games, you'll fine A LOT of quads snail fs games on challenging maps.. team 1? all +2500 point players.. team 2? noob festival... I just find it funny.... but i wasn't calling you out, I know you're legit....

I would gladly take on other quad teams since the maps I play now are not solely first turn based games. The only reason I play those games is for medals. not points. if I only played those like what ljex did with oasis I bet I could seriously climb the scoreboard, but I don't care enough lol its too much worrying and time spent on dumb stuff. I take no offense to the comments as long as people understand I am a very well rounded player :D
Colonel jsnyder748

Postby Mageplunka69 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:38 pm

Paddy The Cat wrote:mage, your such an assdoodle addict :lol: I never knew you ever played so many of them at one time o.O

7069 results on 71 pages: Doodle assassin games played Paddy ♥↑♥
Sergeant 1st Class Mageplunka69

Postby jsnyder748 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:08 am

Mageplunka69 wrote:
Paddy The Cat wrote:mage, your such an assdoodle addict :lol: I never knew you ever played so many of them at one time o.O

7069 results on 71 pages: Doodle assassin games played Paddy ♥↑♥

don't forget medal addict....and of course...jamaica addict
Colonel jsnyder748

Postby Mageplunka69 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:39 pm

Oh i sure L♥ve Jamaica ....best map hands down for overall fun and strategy

Postby Crazyirishman on Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:47 am

Part of the reason I don't play anymore is because I'm in another country which lags you like no other. The other part is I use my laptop to play, and using a touchpad for freestyle is a pain in the ass unless you play assdoodles or asslux's (both of which are virtually nonexistent these days in the club).

I play a game with killface a week or two ago and I'm pretty sure he wanted to kick a baby, because the only way it was competitive was me getting great dice to make up for Internet and touchpad lag.
Captain Crazyirishman

Postby ViperOverLord on Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:32 pm

The problem I have with freestyle, is quickly splitting a stack. It's fine for advancing 1-9 guys or the whole stack. But if I want to do 25 or 36 then I have to go through the scroll and it takes away the rhythm.
Major ViperOverLord

Postby Tenebrus on Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:12 am

xiangwang wrote:
Tenebrus wrote:
xiangwang wrote:
rhp 1 wrote:
jsnyder748 wrote:I am not talking about ass doodles mage! I know those are fast. Im talking about the games that take strategy and thinking,....not that ass doodles aren't fun....but classic and assassin fuedals and 1 v 1's take time to fill and stuff

Used to be able to to cash, attack, and end in fuedal in 2-3 seconds....too bad I never got into speed more

Pretty much every top freestyler can do that... which is prob part of the problem... imagine if ur unskilled at fs and jump into a game with a bunch of players with that type of speed... I imagine it would be quite intimidating and something u wouldn't be rushing in to do again....

I cannot do that. I just play casual 8 man standard freestyle, u don't really need speed. Just don't have to wait 24 hours for each player to go. Plenty of people still enjoy 8 player non-escalation standard games (u do get some stalemates). Only thing you need in freestyle in my opinion is mainly patience and time, not necessarily speed.

24 hour freestyle games are the devil's setting - all you need to win is no life, and an alarm clock.

Oh, and a room mate or three helps. BOOM! I wasn't sure I was going to go there, but I'm so glad I did /stewie

Why is 24 hour freestyle the devil's setting? Are you stating it's worse than quickest finger/clickies. An alarm isn't useful when u cannot predict when people take their turns.

It is much worse than "quickest finger". In a normal freestyle game, everyone is on a level footing. You can see the turn starting, and yes, there will be times when the quickest player will win but that's balanced by the many times when a slower player can frustrate that with better strategy or planning or a block because the take-out isn't a 1 second job but needs more time than that. In 24hr freestyle, whoever can game it so that they are there at the start of a turn (and there are ways to do that, let's not pretend otherwise by saying you "can't predict" when other people will take their turn). That's why playing 24hr fs with people you know is particularly pernicious - even knowing the likely time that one or two other players will take their turn can give you an enormous advantage.

In speed fs the playing field is, at least in theory, level. In 24 hr freestyle you add some factors that are either about luck or people gaming the setting which are large enough to swing the game. It's worse even than 2 player on a simple map because at least the dice/first turn advantages should (again in theory) level out over time. That setting unavoidably adds elements of luck/gamesmanship which can't be avoided. I hates it, I hates it.
Lieutenant Tenebrus

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:51 am

ViperOverLord wrote:The problem I have with freestyle, is quickly splitting a stack. It's fine for advancing 1-9 guys or the whole stack. But if I want to do 25 or 36 then I have to go through the scroll and it takes away the rhythm.

Click on the Troops Numbers, type in "2" "5" in quick succession. You now have 25 ready to go. You can also Tab to the troop numbers scrollable thinga-majig, so you don't have to scroll down in the browser.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby NoSurvivors on Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:57 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:
ViperOverLord wrote:The problem I have with freestyle, is quickly splitting a stack. It's fine for advancing 1-9 guys or the whole stack. But if I want to do 25 or 36 then I have to go through the scroll and it takes away the rhythm.

Click on the Troops Numbers, type in "2" "5" in quick succession. You now have 25 ready to go. You can also Tab to the troop numbers scrollable thinga-majig, so you don't have to scroll down in the browser.

Well put glorious leader.
Colonel NoSurvivors

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:03 pm

NoSurvivors wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

OPPA GANGNAM STYLE!! EYYYYYY, SEXY LADY!!!
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby maasman on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:16 pm

Playing a speed game with trench actually allows me to play freestyle. It slows down the massive sweep that can occur if I'm a bit slow. More testing is required though to see if I can actually compete long term like that.
Major maasman

Postby Mageplunka69 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:19 pm

as of tuesday i will have 104 mbps ...woot woot

Postby NoSurvivors on Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:30 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
NoSurvivors wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

OPPA GANGNAM STYLE!! EYYYYYY, SEXY LADY!!!

I'd love to see a video of Stalin doing gangnam style.. I'd pay for that video actually.
Colonel NoSurvivors

Postby KingRat on Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:48 am

I have to agree with many of the posters.
Connection speed is the biggest hurdle to overcome in fs games.
I usually have a decent connection and if I start to see any noticeable lag whatsoever I will stop playing.
Just a few 10ths of a second can often be the difference between a win or loss.
Once you have figured out clickies and have a few games under your belt it's all about the speed combined with some decent strat.
Some may disagree, and I know my strat is not well liked by all, but I also find fs strat to be much more player dependent.
I play maps very differently based on my opponents and if rhp joins I just pack up and go home. ;)

All that being said I've only played a few fs games and I certainly don't like them very much. :lol:

11,500 fs played so far 11,233 were speed - my wife thinks I have a problem.....
Highest Score: 3266

Cook KingRat

Postby Silly Knig-it on Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:10 am

Connection speed, getting mowed down by experience fs players, and then getting told in very unkind language things about by mental ability, my ancestry, or just sworn at. 24 hour freestyle, when you can only get to the computer once or twice a day is just a way to give points away.

I play CC for fun. Why do I need the crap? If I am going to play speed I will stick to private games with nice people.

I know the majority of people playing fs are nice normal people but their is a significant number who are not and I seem to run into them every other game or so. So I stopped playing except very, very, very occasionally.
Sergeant 1st Class Silly Knig-it
SoC Training Adviser

Postby rhp 1 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:33 pm

[quote="Silly Knig-it"]Connection speed, getting mowed down by experience fs players, and then getting told in very unkind language things about by mental ability, my ancestry, or just sworn at. 24 hour freestyle, when you can only get to the computer once or twice a day is just a way to give points away.

guilty.................................... sorry?
Lieutenant rhp 1

Location: IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING, IT IS BEST TO DO IT....... QUICKLY

Postby rhp 1 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:34 pm

KingRat wrote:I have to agree with many of the posters.
Connection speed is the biggest hurdle to overcome in fs games.
I usually have a decent connection and if I start to see any noticeable lag whatsoever I will stop playing.
Just a few 10ths of a second can often be the difference between a win or loss.
Once you have figured out clickies and have a few games under your belt it's all about the speed combined with some decent strat.
Some may disagree, and I know my strat is not well liked by all, but I also find fs strat to be much more player dependent.
I play maps very differently based on my opponents and if rhp joins I just pack up and go home. ;)

All that being said I've only played a few fs games and I certainly don't like them very much. :lol:

11,500 fs played so far 11,233 were speed - my wife thinks I have a problem.....

+1 more or less
Lieutenant rhp 1

Postby rhp 1 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:35 pm

Mageplunka69 wrote:as of tuesday i will have 104 mbps ...woot woot

I'm still faster.... sorry if that hurts your feelings... you know I have nothing but love for ya big dog... ♥

worse yet... I think my modem was made by Egyptian laborers in their spare time when they weren't busy dragging huge boulders around....
Lieutenant rhp 1

Postby NoSurvivors on Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:05 pm

rhp 1 wrote:

I'm still faster.... sorry if that hurts your feelings... you know I have nothing but love for ya big dog... ♥

worse yet... I think my modem was made by Egyptian laborers in their spare time when they weren't busy dragging huge boulders around....

I sometimes get tired of dragging my huge boulders around
Colonel NoSurvivors

Postby rhp 1 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:07 pm

NoSurvivors wrote:
rhp 1 wrote:

I sometimes get tired of dragging my huge boulders around

if by "boulders" you mean your unnaturally large kneecaps? then sure... I could understand that....
Lieutenant rhp 1

Postby aage on Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:10 pm

This is a strategy game. That means I actually like to think about what I do. Compare it to chess. You need to consider your options, possible retaliations, balanced offense-defense, and on top of that bonuses and alliances.
Yes, there are speed-chess games, but they're much less interesting because you only use a small part of your capacity to think about your next move, and therefore in hindsight you will regret it. I dislike that feeling and I tend to avoid it, and therefore I avoid freestyle.

I'm sure you enjoy it though.
Sergeant 1st Class aage

Postby rhp 1 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:31 pm

aage wrote:

This is a strategy game. That means I actually like to think about what I do. Compare it to chess. You need to consider your options, possible retaliations, balanced offense-defense, and on top of that bonuses and alliances.
Yes, there are speed-chess games, but they're much less interesting because you only use a small part of your capacity to think about your next move, and therefore in hindsight you will regret it. I dislike that feeling and I tend to avoid it, and therefore I avoid freestyle.

I'm sure you enjoy it though.

don't wanna be rude... but you're fkn clueless... you're analogy is right on but supports fs play, not your position.. in speed chess, do you no longer have any strat? or do you just employ that strat in a faster, more efficient manner.... maybe your brain just doesn't work.. who knows..
Lieutenant rhp 1

Postby Mageplunka69 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:21 pm

rhp 1 wrote:

Keep smoking pot, and when u wake up, you will know and always know, that i am faster than you...but I appreciate your optimism and l♥ve

PreviousNext

Return to Conquer Club Discussion