Conquer Club

Three Kingdoms of China - v10.1 [2015-02-01] p15 [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Three Kingdoms of China - v6.4 [2013-03-24] p12

Postby Oregon Gamer on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:29 am

Do Fou-Ling and Wuling connect? Can't quite tell if the mountains separate them.
Corporal 1st Class Oregon Gamer

Postby Seamus76 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:07 pm

Oregon Gamer wrote:Do Fou-Ling and Wuling connect? Can't quite tell if the mountains separate them.
Thanks for taking a look, your feedback is much appreciated. They do, and actually in the next update I've already changed that to be more apparent.

I had lost 4 days worth of work in a rookie "save" instead of "save as" move, so I had to go back to an earlier version and redo from there. I'm finished with the mountains again, including that change, but had to take a break to fix up tribal war - Israel. I should have this up shortly, so let me know if you see anything else.
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

Postby RedBaron0 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:38 am

Just wanna make sure file corruption didn't destroy the map before I stamp here Seamus. Soon as you get another update up, and there isn't any more issues, you'll be good to go.
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby Seamus76 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:12 am

RedBaron0 wrote:Just wanna make sure file corruption didn't destroy the map before I stamp here Seamus. Soon as you get another update up, and there isn't any more issues, you'll be good to go.
Nah, no corruption. Just had to go back to a backup version, but I'm already fought up to the current version and working on the small.
ImageImageImage

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:40 am

What's the status on this seamus??? We would like to get this stamped very soon!! ;)
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Seamus76 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:43 am

isaiah40 wrote:What's the status on this seamus??? We would like to get this stamped very soon!! ;)
Trust me, so would I. :lol: Just finished up redoing all of the region text, now just need to do the mini-maps and should be able to post later this evening.
ImageImageImage

Postby Seamus76 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:01 pm

CURRENT UPDATE INFO - 2013-04-06:
Posted are the current large and small versions, including 888 versions of both. These should be good to go, but if there is anything that needs tweeking let me know, but once we get the stamp I'll kick V.J.'s ass to get the xml asap.

CURRENT MAP VERSION

v7.0 - Large (840x800)
Click image to enlarge.

v7.0 - Small (630x600)
Click image to enlarge.

v7.0 - Large (840x800)-with 888's and starting neutrals
show

v7.0 - Small (630x600)-with 888's
show
ImageImageImage

Re: Three Kingdoms of China - v7.0 [2013-04-07] p13

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:24 pm

Gee that was a very long evening seamus!! :lol:

Anyways get the CB tests posted, and please remember to update the OP with everything if you haven't done so already.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Seamus76 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:02 am

isaiah40 wrote:Gee that was a very long evening seamus!! :lol:

Anyways get the CB tests posted, and please remember to update the OP with everything if you haven't done so already.
OP has been updated with all CB tests, and everything else should be included as well. Let me know if I am missing anything.
ImageImageImage

Postby squeaks_is_mine on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:32 am

Ugh...I know I am being impatient but please get this map up ASAP!
Cook squeaks_is_mine

Postby Seamus76 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:47 am

squeaks_is_mine wrote:Ugh...I know I am being impatient but please get this map up ASAP!

:lol: I'm with you for sure. I think this one should be pretty quick once we get the xml going, which should be shortly I guess.
ImageImageImage

Postby RedBaron0 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:34 pm

Seamus76 wrote:
squeaks_is_mine wrote:Ugh...I know I am being impatient but please get this map up ASAP!

:lol: I'm with you for sure. I think this one should be pretty quick once we get the xml going, which should be shortly I guess.

Perhaps... ;)

ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby Gilligan on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:47 pm

Seamus76 wrote:

Sounds good to me!
Captain Gilligan

Postby Seamus76 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:05 pm

Gilligan wrote:
Seamus76 wrote:

Sounds good to me!

:lol: I've never seen a retiree work so hard in my life.
ImageImageImage

Postby Gilligan on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:22 pm

Seamus76 wrote:
Gilligan wrote:
Seamus76 wrote:

Sounds good to me!

:lol: I've never seen a retiree work so hard in my life.

Tell me about it...thanks tnb. :| O:) :lol:
Captain Gilligan

Postby P4Ssoa on Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:09 am

Very nice map you made there seamus. I only read some posts on the first page, so it could be I missed something and what I say may already have been said.

I think it is pretty good this one doesn't have rails connecting regions and nukes and all the hassle. Many players enjoy a normal map too from time to time. If you choose to play random games, it's nice to see a normal map every now and then.

Some things I think are strange:
Central Wei: 9 territories, 7 borders: Bonus = 5
Jing: 5 territories, 4 borders: Bonus = 5
Riverland: 7 territories, 4 borders, bonus = 4
Yang: 6 territories, 3 borders: bonus = 3
Southern Yi: 5 territories, 3 borders: bonus = 2
Jiao: 5 territories, 2 borders: bonus = 2

Maybe I missed something, I don't think the bonusses are distributed very well.

The riverlands have 2 more territories, the same amount of borders and a smaller bonus then jing.
Central wei has almost double territories and borders, but the same bonus then jing.
Yang has one territory more then jing, but 1 border less, though it has only a bonus of 3.
Southern Yi has the same amount of territories as Jing, but 1 border less, though the bonus of Jing is 5 and Southern Yi only 2.
Jiao has also 5 territories, just like Jing and Southern Yi, but 2 borders less. It has only a bonus of 2.

I would make the jing bonus smaller and the central wei bonus bigger. Something is just not right here.
I guess Central wei could be 6, while jing 4. Riverland 4 and Yang 4 too. Southern Yi 3 and Jiao 2 or 3.

Nice map. I can't wait to see it in bĆØta :-)
Captain P4Ssoa

Postby Seamus76 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:50 pm

P4Ssoa wrote:Very nice map you made there seamus. I only read some posts on the first page, so it could be I missed something and what I say may already have been said.

I think it is pretty good this one doesn't have rails connecting regions and nukes and all the hassle. Many players enjoy a normal map too from time to time. If you choose to play random games, it's nice to see a normal map every now and then.

Some things I think are strange:
Central Wei: 9 territories, 7 borders: Bonus = 5
Jing: 5 territories, 4 borders: Bonus = 5
Riverland: 7 territories, 4 borders, bonus = 4
Yang: 6 territories, 3 borders: bonus = 3
Southern Yi: 5 territories, 3 borders: bonus = 2
Jiao: 5 territories, 2 borders: bonus = 2

Maybe I missed something, I don't think the bonusses are distributed very well.

The riverlands have 2 more territories, the same amount of borders and a smaller bonus then jing.
Central wei has almost double territories and borders, but the same bonus then jing.
Yang has one territory more then jing, but 1 border less, though it has only a bonus of 3.
Southern Yi has the same amount of territories as Jing, but 1 border less, though the bonus of Jing is 5 and Southern Yi only 2.
Jiao has also 5 territories, just like Jing and Southern Yi, but 2 borders less. It has only a bonus of 2.

I would make the jing bonus smaller and the central wei bonus bigger. Something is just not right here.
I guess Central wei could be 6, while jing 4. Riverland 4 and Yang 4 too. Southern Yi 3 and Jiao 2 or 3.

Nice map. I can't wait to see it in bĆØta :-)

Thanks so much for the feedback, I can tell you really took a lot of time to analyze the bonuses, and I appreciate your time.

Let me start by saying I am the first to admit that I am no gamplay guy, unfortunately I usually defer to the mods and my map partner V.J. on bonus issues and things. For this map I don't think you missed anything as most of the bonuses were hammered for the original, abandoned map by gimil. If you read through that thread in my original post you'll see the bonuses were worked out over good period of time, and then recently it was thoroughly reviewed by the gameplay mods prior to the gameplay stamp.

I want the map to be fair, balanced, and most of all fun, so if some of the mods can check this out and let me know if things need to be changed I'd be happy to do that.
ImageImageImage

Postby P4Ssoa on Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:15 am

I'm no gameplay guy either and I have made no maps. I'm not very often in the foundry (or even in the forums) so I can be totally wrong here. :D
It was just something that caught my attention when I scanned the map. :-)
Captain P4Ssoa

Postby iancanton on Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:36 pm

nolefan5311 wrote:Strictly speaking for the territorial bonuses, the only one I would recommend changing is increasing Central Wei to a +6, but this probably isn't going to matter.

nolefan did suggest that +6 for central wei was more appropriate, so we can try that. we need to ensure that the kingdom bonuses are worth having, therefore kingdom of wei has to be at least +10 or +11 if this happens. in light of both this and ur useful comments above, i'll take another look at the bonuses.

most names are in modern chinese pinyin, while some are in an older system of chinese romanisation (the obvious ones to me are chien an and yueh-sui). i'll try to find the pinyin names for those two regions.

it will add to the chinese flavour of the map, without compromising playability, for north to be replaced by bei, south by nan and west by xi where they appear in region names.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Seamus76 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:02 pm

iancanton wrote:
nolefan5311 wrote:Strictly speaking for the territorial bonuses, the only one I would recommend changing is increasing Central Wei to a +6, but this probably isn't going to matter.

nolefan did suggest that +6 for central wei was more appropriate, so we can try that. we need to ensure that the kingdom bonuses are worth having, therefore kingdom of wei has to be at least +10 or +11 if this happens. in light of both this and ur useful comments above, i'll take another look at the bonuses.

most names are in modern chinese pinyin, while some are in an older system of chinese romanisation (the obvious ones to me are chien an and yueh-sui). i'll try to find the pinyin names for those two regions.

it will add to the chinese flavour of the map, without compromising playability, for north to be replaced by bei, south by nan and west by xi where they appear in region names.

Thanks for the time Ian. Not to rush you or anything, but I know VJ has started on the xml, so once you can get me some concrete info to update I'd be happy to make the changes.
ImageImageImage

Postby Seamus76 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:24 pm

Seamus76 wrote:
iancanton wrote:

Thanks for the time Ian. Not to rush you or anything, but I know VJ has started on the xml, so once you can get me some concrete info to update I'd be happy to make the changes.
Also, regarding nolefan's comment on the Central Wei bonus, he did say that changing it to +6 might be a good idea, but that it really wouldn't matter. At that time we went ahead and kept it as it is, which is what I would like to do now, instead of change it. I think if it's a problem it could be worked out in beta, no?
ImageImageImage

Postby iancanton on Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:23 pm

if possible, please increase kingdom of wei from +9 to +11 to balance wei against shu, which is an easier bonus. central wei can be fixed in beta if necessary, while i'm happy with nolefan's decision on the other zonal bonuses. southern yi can be less disadvantaged by letting nanman start with n2 instead of n3 neutrals.

change the n3 from bei ping west to an n2 on bei ping port to reduce the chance of starting with a cities bonus. in fact, now i look at it some more, what's to prevent player 1 from using his own cities bonus to knock out player 2's cities bonus, then continuing with 1 or 2 extra troops per turn to secure a decisive advantage? rather than +1 for every 2 cities, +4 for any 5 cities will eliminate this problem.

by the way, i'm away for the next week. however, koontz will be around if u need to ask any questions about gameplay.

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Seamus76 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:00 pm

iancanton wrote:if possible, please increase kingdom of wei from +9 to +11 to balance wei against shu, which is an easier bonus. central wei can be fixed in beta if necessary, while i'm happy with nolefan's decision on the other zonal bonuses. southern yi can be less disadvantaged by letting nanman start with n2 instead of n3 neutrals.

change the n3 from bei ping west to an n2 on bei ping port to reduce the chance of starting with a cities bonus. in fact, now i look at it some more, what's to prevent player 1 from using his own cities bonus to knock out player 2's cities bonus, then continuing with 1 or 2 extra troops per turn to secure a decisive advantage? rather than +1 for every 2 cities, +4 for any 5 cities will eliminate this problem.

by the way, i'm away for the next week. however, koontz will be around if u need to ask any questions about gameplay.

the first part is easy, I'll update that.

With regard to the second, I want to make sure you're taking into consideration that no matter how many players per game, each player will only start with 1 city. So player 1 in your example won't have a city bonus to start. As neither will player 2, etc. The other non distributed cities start 2n. That is also why being ping west can stay as is.

Other than the above are the names fine as is?
ImageImageImage

Postby iancanton on Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:12 pm

i thought i remembered reading something about a maximum of one city, but couldn't find it. does this mean each player starts with 12 regions in 2-player and 3-player games? u'll need to solve that one too, possibly by giving a starting maximum of 2 cities and changing the bonus to +2 for every 3 cities.

as for the names, chien an appears to be kuaiji, while yueh-sui is spelt yuesui these days and yueh-sui south corresponds most closely to jianning.

https://digitalcollections.anu.edu.au/h ... n_maps.pdf

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Seamus76 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:32 pm

iancanton wrote:i thought i remembered reading something about a maximum of one city, but couldn't find it. does this mean each player starts with 12 regions in 2-player and 3-player games? u'll need to solve that one too, possibly by giving a starting maximum of 2 cities and changing the bonus to +2 for every 3 cities.

as for the names, chien an appears to be kuaiji, while yueh-sui is spelt yuesui these days and yueh-sui south corresponds most closely to jianning.

https://digitalcollections.anu.edu.au/h ... n_maps.pdf

Can you take a quick look at the OP and let me know if we have those set up correctly? Right now we have 2 player games starting 10 each, and 3 players 8 each.
ImageImageImage

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas