Conquer Club

The "Optional Carding" Game Setting

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

The "Optional Carding" Game Setting

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:55 am

Concise description:
Lately, there has been debate of imposing a rule which requires all players to obtain a spoils card after conquering a territory. Others disagree on the grounds that such a rule is not necessary for speed games, and running out of time to not card comes with a sacrifice (can't fort, can't card). I seek a compromise which would satisfy everyone in their particular games--whatever the settings.

Specifics/Details:
According to CC, "You earn spoils at the end of every turn in which you successfully conquer a region, just like reality!," which seems to insist that one must card after conquering a territory, but it's ambiguous.

To get around this, have a game setting which if checked allows players to not card after conquering a territory.

1. If this setting is activated, then you don't have to card (perhaps it would be like the current exploit).
2. If this setting is not activated, then automatic carding after conquering would occur--even if you ran out of time.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
More people would be happier since the game setting allows them to determine if the 'exploit' is kocher. If people like Doc Brown don't like it, then they don't have to join such games. If the speed gamers like the exploit, then they can join such games.

Since that button enables users to clearly establish particular rules for particular games, and since people are free to join any game they want, then the entire spectrum of players can be satisfied.

Tip of the Hat to Nicky15, Vid_FISO, and this thread in general.
Last edited by BigBallinStalin on Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Re: The "Optional Carding" Game Setting

Postby rdsrds2120 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:18 am

If I am not mistaken, we already have this with the "No Spoils" option, correct? I imagine this is different somehow, but might not be seeing it.

BMO
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby darth emperor on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:55 am

rdsrds2120 wrote:If I am not mistaken, we already have this with the "No Spoils" option, correct? I imagine this is different somehow, but might not be seeing it.

BMO

Yes, is a mixture between this two. Is just like a flat rate/escalating/nuclear with the difference that at end of the turn you can decide if you want a card or not (considering that you have made an attack).

In flat rate, people will always say yes, unless facing an elimination in a team game.

In nuclear, people will start saying yes, till we reach a point (depending on how large is the map), that people will say no making it a non spoils game, and that will last till a player reaches to a region, that other player can nuke. This can be interesting.

In escalating, they'll only say no, the first time facing with 4 spoils (as you don't want to be the first to cash). After that, unless we are talking of an elimination in a team game, people will say that they want a spoil.

In summary, the cases were you no, in flat and esc, are so concrete and small, that is not worth to make an option. But, in nuclear it can be very interesting, and more in a small map.
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:52 am

rdsrds2120 wrote:If I am not mistaken, we already have this with the "No Spoils" option, correct? I imagine this is different somehow, but might not be seeing it.

BMO

It's completely different. People like playing nuclear in speed games--instead of no spoils, and some also like letting the time run out for the turn after taking a territory, so they don't card. It's a tactic, which others disparage and wish to get rid of. That would be dumb, so obviously a compromise is needed, hence the "Optional Carding" setting.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby greenoaks on Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:48 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:

BMO

It's completely different. People like playing nuclear in speed games--instead of no spoils, and some also like letting the time run out for the turn after taking a territory, so they don't card. It's a tactic, which others disparage and wish to get rid of. That would be dumb, so obviously a compromise is needed, hence the "Optional Carding" setting.

or instead of this option spoils could be automatically given at the end of the turn
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:39 pm

greenoaks wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

BMO

or instead of this option spoils could be automatically given at the end of the turn

Whichever is easier to implement.

Which reminds me:

1. If this setting is activated, then you don't have to card (perhaps it would be like the current exploit).
2. If this setting is not activated, then automatic carding after conquering would occur--even if you ran out of time.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby greenoaks on Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:49 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote: 2. If this setting is not activated, then automatic carding after conquering would occur--even if you ran out of time.

yes,

a card is given when your turn ends regardless of the cause (you clicked end turn or the timer reached zero)
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby chapcrap on Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:21 pm

This idea kind of counterfeits the medal for nuclear games. You can basically change a nuclear game to no spoils with this option. Do you have any recourse for that?
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby BigBallinStalin on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:13 am

chapcrap wrote:This idea kind of counterfeits the medal for nuclear games. You can basically change a nuclear game to no spoils with this option. Do you have any recourse for that?

Benefits offset the costs. And, it's already happening anyway. People can play nuclear games and not card--due to the current exploit. Since that's the case, then we should at least improve this by implementing our suggestion ITT.

And look at the alternatives. They suck because they're divisive, thus will drive some customers away from paying for membership. This suggestion satisfies the main parties which oppose or support the current exploit.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby Doc_Brown on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:56 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:If people like Doc Brown don't like it, then they don't have to join such games.

I just thought I'd clarify that I don't have a real problem with people being able to time out in games. I do have a problem with the lack of clarity about whether it's an accepted tactic on this site (in which case it shouldn't be arbitrarily punished in clan games) or it's exploiting a loophole that should have been closed a long time ago. There have been at least two votes that I know of regarding timing-out: The one in the suggestion thread I started, and another in the clan forum. Both have seen overwhelming support for automatically awarding spoils.

My compromise suggestion:
Automatically award spoils earned in all sequential games. Allow timing out without receiving spoils in freestyle games.

From the comments I've seen, it appears that the majority of the people that favor being able to avoid spoils do so in speed freestyle games. I don't like the idea of a rules change between speed and non speed settings. However, freestyle already has different rules compared to sequential and allows for other types of tactics related to timing of turns. Also, freestyle games are not permitted in normal clan play, so this change would take care of all clan-related concerns about the rule.
Colonel Doc_Brown

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:10 pm

I'm fine with that too. Whichever is easier to implement.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby chapcrap on Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:39 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:
chapcrap wrote:This idea kind of counterfeits the medal for nuclear games. You can basically change a nuclear game to no spoils with this option. Do you have any recourse for that?

Benefits offset the costs. And, it's already happening anyway. People can play nuclear games and not card--due to the current exploit. Since that's the case, then we should at least improve this by implementing our suggestion ITT.

And look at the alternatives. They suck because they're divisive, thus will drive some customers away from paying for membership. This suggestion satisfies the main parties which oppose or support the current exploit.

I do not think the benefits out way the costs. And if it's happening anyway, that's a reason to implement Doc's suggestion. That way people have to card.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:59 pm

chapcrap wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

I do not think the benefits out way the costs. And if it's happening anyway, that's a reason to implement Doc's suggestion. That way people have to card.

Okay, as long as CC implements the Compromise Proposal, then they won't be unnecessarily isolating customers.
Major BigBallinStalin

Return to Suggestions