Conquer Club

[Abandoned] Homeworlds

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[Abandoned] Homeworlds

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:25 pm

HOMEWORLDS - BATTLE ROYALE
Mapmaker: Dolomite13
Number of Players: 20 (Possibly 40)
Number of Territories: 256 map locations
Special Features: Battle Royale, Over-Sized, Conditional Borders, Autodeploy, One Way Borders, Bombardment.
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made: I don't know if there is another Battle Royale style map in the works however I feel that space conquest would make a great setting and with only 22 players it keeps the game a bit smaller than the 40 person battle royale.

157 map locations.
94 homeworld/starbase/hypergate/research.

Nebula
- Nebula sectors are impassible
- Nebula sectors are Killer 5

Wormholes
- Wormhole sectors are impassible
- Wormhole sectors are adjacent
- Wormhole sectors are killer 5

Bonuses
- Any 3 system sectors or space sectors grant +1 bonus
- Homewords +1 bonus each

Nebulon
- Nebulons Homeworld is bonus 5
- Nebulons system sector killer 5 per turn
- Nebulons system sector may assault any wormhole when you have a hypergate there
- Alien artifact bonus is double when you control nebulons research

General
- Homeworlds are adjacent to their own system sector, starbase, hypergate, and research
- Starbases may bombard and be bombarded by their system sector

Researches (All bonuses are cumulative)
1 - Improved Sensors: Starbases may bombard regular sectors up to a range of 1 (provided conditional bombardments are implemented. Otherwise will become standard)
2 - Terraforming: Each homeworld grants a +1 deployable bonus.
3 - Hyper Jump: Each system sector where you control the hypergate may assault other system sectors up to 2 away.
4 - Improved Sensors: You may assault wormhole sectors (they are no longer impassible)
5 - Clone Facility: Each starbase grants a +1 deployable bonus.
6 - Alien Artifact: You are granted +6 deployable bonus every turn.
7- Improved Sensors: You may assault nebula sectors (they are no longer impassible)
8 - Terraforming: Each homeworld grants a +1 deployable bonus.
9 - Hyper Jump: Each system sector where you control the hypergate may assault other system sectors up to 4 away.
10 - Clone Facility: Each starbase grants a +1 deployable bonus.
11 - Improved Sensors: Each system sector where you control the hypergate may assault wormhole sectors up to 4 away.
12 - Alien Artifact: You are granted +12 deployable bonus every turn.
15 - Hyper Jump: Each system sector where you control the hypergate may assault other system sectors up to 6 away.
16 - Terraforming: Each homeworld grants a +1 deployable bonus.
18 - Alien Artifact: You are granted +18 deployable bonus every turn.

v0.3.1 1000x800

Sample of what the small map might look like (750x600)

Older Maps
0.3.0 - http://imageshack.com/a/img40/1566/f27k.png
0.2.1 http://imageshack.com/a/img163/8091/6ucx.png
0.1.7 http://imageshack.com/a/img16/3424/xquo.png
0.1.6 http://imageshack.com/a/img11/7528/mqzg.png
0.1.5 http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/791/gphc.png
0.1.4 Not Available
0.1.3 https://imageshack.com/a/img198/5615/r9zn.png
0.0.2 http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/886/hw002.png
0.0.1 http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/6621/hw000lg1200.png

The Copyright Agreement

The author retains copyright on their work, and gives Conquer Club permission to use the imagery free of charge, for as long as Conquer Club sees fit on the Conquer Club website. Conquer Club cannot sell, lease, or lend the right to use the images to anyone else. The author swears that their map is their own work, or a legal derivative work and by submitting it, do hereby claim all responsibility for that being true.
Last edited by dolomite13 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:57 pm, edited 21 times in total.
Cook dolomite13

Re: Homeworlds - Battle Royale

Postby waauw on Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:39 am

I like it, however isn't it gonna be a lot harder to kill anyone in contrast to the last battle royale? I love that you won't die in the first round though.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:39 pm

waauw wrote:I like it, however isn't it gonna be a lot harder to kill anyone in contrast to the last battle royale? I love that you won't die in the first round though.

It might seem that way. This map would probably start slow, possibly with people making alliances for their survival. I would expect a bloodbath around turn 4 or 5 and then the game to settle down into a regular game of CC once 2/3 of the players were eliminated. At least thats my thoughts on it thus far.

=D=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby waauw on Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:09 pm

dolomite13 wrote:
waauw wrote:I like it, however isn't it gonna be a lot harder to kill anyone in contrast to the last battle royale? I love that you won't die in the first round though.

It might seem that way. This map would probably start slow, possibly with people making alliances for their survival. I would expect a bloodbath around turn 4 or 5 and then the game to settle down into a regular game of CC once 2/3 of the players were eliminated. At least thats my thoughts on it thus far.

=D=

in that case, GREAT WORK =D>
Lieutenant waauw

Postby MagnusGreeol on Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:37 pm

I must say, Quite impressive, I love outer space stuff,, Looks inviting to Me-- Very Nice I say--LOL--
Colonel MagnusGreeol

Postby ViperOverLord on Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:28 am

Why limit this to a battle royale map? Seems like it could work as a regular map.
High Score: #76 3053
Major ViperOverLord

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:10 am

ViperOverLord wrote:Why limit this to a battle royale map? Seems like it could work as a regular map.

If dolomite decides to apply for having it as BR map, then the map must be just BR as per our guidelines.

I've sent a PM to dolomite and I'm waiting an aswer from him, in the meanwhile I move this map to the drafting room.

[Moved]

Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby dolomite13 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:01 pm

ViperOverLord wrote:Why limit this to a battle royale map? Seems like it could work as a regular map.

I have a 8 player sized version that is a bit different and could be part of a "Homeworlds" two part map series "Homeworlds: Battle Royale" for 26 players and "Homeworlds: Sector Space" for 2-8 players. In any case I was really wanting to try this as a Battle Royale map first and if it is rejected I will certainly rework it as a regular map.

Thanks for the feedback =)

=D=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby dolomite13 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:09 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:

If dolomite decides to apply for having it as BR map, then the map must be just BR as per our guidelines.

I've sent a PM to dolomite and I'm waiting an aswer from him, in the meanwhile I move this map to the drafting room.

[Moved]

Nobodies

Done =)
Cook dolomite13

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:56 pm

Great work dolomite on the map concept, I've been patiently waiting for another space type map to show up for years. I personally don't think we have nearly enough of them. I hope you this map design goes through and I very much look forward to playing it during CC's next birthday bash next January :)

For what it's worth, I think it would pretty nifty if there were a couple more research like things added if possible, though I think what's there is great for a basic space conquest map. It woudl probably be a lot easier space wise to get a few extra researches into the 2-8 player version if you ever get around to designing that version, which I would encourage you to design to handle up to 12 players just in case they ever get around to supporting up to 12 players :)
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby dolomite13 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:26 am

-=- Tanarri -=- wrote:Great work dolomite on the map concept, I've been patiently waiting for another space type map to show up for years. I personally don't think we have nearly enough of them. I hope you this map design goes through and I very much look forward to playing it during CC's next birthday bash next January :)

For what it's worth, I think it would pretty nifty if there were a couple more research like things added if possible, though I think what's there is great for a basic space conquest map. It woudl probably be a lot easier space wise to get a few extra researches into the 2-8 player version if you ever get around to designing that version, which I would encourage you to design to handle up to 12 players just in case they ever get around to supporting up to 12 players :)

Originally I had also added "Jump Gate" that let you assault a sector 4 hexes away (in straight line) from any homeworld sector that had that tech. And I was toring with "Mining" and adding asteroids to the map that would yield additional bonuses when you had mining. I was also looking at making the edge hexes of the nebula just hostile and -1 or -2 forces per turn but still having the core of the nebula impassible (I may still do this).

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:01 am

dolomite13 wrote:
-=- Tanarri -=- wrote:Great work dolomite on the map concept, I've been patiently waiting for another space type map to show up for years. I personally don't think we have nearly enough of them. I hope you this map design goes through and I very much look forward to playing it during CC's next birthday bash next January :)

Originally I had also added "Jump Gate" that let you assault a sector 4 hexes away (in straight line) from any homeworld sector that had that tech. And I was toring with "Mining" and adding asteroids to the map that would yield additional bonuses when you had mining. I was also looking at making the edge hexes of the nebula just hostile and -1 or -2 forces per turn but still having the core of the nebula impassible (I may still do this).

=D=

I like the Mining idea and had thought of it myself later last night. I think it would provide an interesting dimension to the game and allow for some more strategy. The Jump Gate idea I like as well, but wonder if removing the straight line restriction would make it more useful for some of the outlying homeworlds. The more central ones would fine a lot of use for it, since they could directly assault other homeworld sectors. Also, there's some homeworlds in the bottom right that would also gain that ability as well if the restriction was lifted. I think having the outlying regions of the nebula reduce troops would be another interesting feature, though I would consider raising the penalty to encourage people to go around when there's an option.
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby iamkoolerthanu on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:19 am

Looks pretty good, and if it gets approved for a BR map I would be very happy! Only having one map constantly in the BR section makes me not play BRs ever! lol
Corporal 1st Class iamkoolerthanu

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:38 pm

Just checking in to see where we stand with this one.

Haven't heard if its been approved for Battle Royale status.

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:29 pm

Good looking map!

Would be a nice map for up to 60 players, I think. I would like everyone to start with some extra terts and not just have a sea of neutrals. Made the appropriate selections in your poll.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:07 pm

Dukasaur wrote:Good looking map!

Would be a nice map for up to 60 players, I think. I would like everyone to start with some extra terts and not just have a sea of neutrals. Made the appropriate selections in your poll.

I'm not sure how you would fit up to 60 players on the map, short of maybe squeezing on another 4 stars and having two planets per star. Thanks for pointing out the poll, I didn't even notice there was one up. I've also made my selections. I'm surprised that I'm the only one so far to suggest more unlockable techs though. I think there's potential for at least another one or two to be added in easily to enhance the gameplay. Though maybe I'm just biased, having spent years helping with Research & Conquer and patiently waiting for it to hit beta :)
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Re: Homeworlds - Battle Royale (POLL)

Postby koontz1973 on Wed May 08, 2013 10:25 pm

dolomite, I have been looking at this map and I keep saying to myself one thing, and this overrides all others for me.

Size: The map is bloody large and scrolling will become a huge annoyance for some players to the point they will not play it. This is one of the problems with the first battle royale map and it alienated some players. Also, the amount of regions, 306 is a lot. When you consider that BR games are mainly played freestyle, what would be your guess on the amount of rounds played. Remember, BR games tend to be played between flat and escalating spoils (escalating is going to be OK) but sometimes nukes as well. Spacing on the small map, mainly around the home worlds will become a problem. As soon as you hit double digits and you have the colour code on (BR game players tend to have these on to help) the small maps numbers on the home worlds will overlap.

So for me at the moment, I would like to see three things done:
  • Reduce the size of the map, width mainly.
  • Reduce the amount of regions on the map.
  • Spacing on the small map needs to be looked at.

koontz
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Homeworlds - Battle Royale (POLL)

Postby dolomite13 on Wed May 08, 2013 11:41 pm

Will do
Cook dolomite13

Postby dolomite13 on Fri May 10, 2013 5:36 pm

I think I have an idea to decrease the number of total territories. It will change the map somewhat in that it will probably do away with the hex based map concept and instead introduce a system connection based map similar to these two existing space based maps but still different enough to not be simply a clone of them.

I will have a new concept this weekend sometime.

=D=

Cook dolomite13

Postby isaiah40 on Fri May 10, 2013 6:41 pm

NOOOOOOOO! Please keep the hex based system! You would just have to reduce the number of hexes.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby dolomite13 on Fri May 10, 2013 8:17 pm

isaiah40 wrote:NOOOOOOOO! Please keep the hex based system! You would just have to reduce the number of hexes.

Okie dokie I'll start by doing that first and if that doesn't take us in the right direction we can examine other possibilities.

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby dolomite13 on Mon May 13, 2013 2:34 pm

I am still working on a new map but currently I have map reduced to almost half of the spaces. I have increased the number of wormholes and removed the "orbit" space from the system. Currently the system is homeworld, starbase, hypergate, and advanced tech...

Here are my current thoughts...

=D=

MAP

Non System Spaces: Each starts with 3 neutral units.

System Space: This is the space on the main map where your home system resides. (starts with 3 of your forces)

Wormhole Spaces: Are adjacent to all other wormhole spaces. Each starts with 3 neutral units.

HOMEWORLD

Homeworld: Your starting planet. Autodeploys 2. (starts with 3 of your forces)

Starbase: adjacent to homeworld. Can bombard system space of this system and up to 2 spaces away. Autodeploys 2. (starts with 15 neutral)

Hypergate: adjacent to homeworld. System space where you have built a hypergate can lock onto any system up to 4 spaces away. System space where you have a hypergate are adjacent to other system space up to 4 away. This does not include space that does not have a star system in it. Does not work through wormholes. (starts with 30 neutral)

Advanced Tech: You gain access to all of these advancements. (starts with 45 neutral)
- Terra-forming: Homeworlds you control grant a +3 bonus.
- Advanced Hypergates: You may travel through wormholes via hypergates and Hypergates may lock onto systems up to 5 away.
- Long Range Sensors: Starbases can bombard up to 3 away from their home system.
Cook dolomite13

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Tue May 14, 2013 3:30 pm

dolomite13 wrote:I am still working on a new map but currently I have map reduced to almost half of the spaces. I have increased the number of wormholes and removed the "orbit" space from the system. Currently the system is homeworld, starbase, hypergate, and advanced tech...

Here are my current thoughts...

=D=

MAP

Non System Spaces: Each starts with 3 neutral units.

System Space: This is the space on the main map where your home system resides. (starts with 3 of your forces)

Wormhole Spaces: Are adjacent to all other wormhole spaces. Each starts with 3 neutral units.

HOMEWORLD

Homeworld: Your starting planet. Autodeploys 2. (starts with 3 of your forces)

Starbase: adjacent to homeworld. Can bombard system space of this system and up to 2 spaces away. Autodeploys 2. (starts with 15 neutral)

Hypergate: adjacent to homeworld. System space where you have built a hypergate can lock onto any system up to 4 spaces away. System space where you have a hypergate are adjacent to other system space up to 4 away. This does not include space that does not have a star system in it. Does not work through wormholes. (starts with 30 neutral)

Advanced Tech: You gain access to all of these advancements. (starts with 45 neutral)
- Terra-forming: Homeworlds you control grant a +3 bonus.
- Advanced Hypergates: You may travel through wormholes via hypergates and Hypergates may lock onto systems up to 5 away.
- Long Range Sensors: Starbases can bombard up to 3 away from their home system.

At first glance this looks good to me. Sorry if I missed it, but what part of the system would connect to the main map, would it be the homeworld or the starbase? Also, just to clarify, the homeworld bonus for advanced tech is an additional one per homeworld you own, correct?
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby dolomite13 on Wed May 15, 2013 12:08 am

Quick Clarification

- homeworld would connect to the sector as being adjacent.
[Sector A] <==adjacent==> [Homeworld A]

- homeworld is adjacent to hypergate.
[Homeworld A] <==adjacent==> [Hypergate A]

- homeworld is adjacent to advanced tech.
[Homeworld A] <==adjacent==> [Advanced Tech A]

- starbase could bombard and be bombarded by the sector its homeworld is in.
[Starbase A] <==bombard==> [Sector A]

- starbase and homeworld are adjacent.
[Homeworld A] <==adjacent==> [Starbase A]

You only need one hypergate and one advanced tech (although having more is ok) but the effects do not stack,

=D=

Work in progress map....

130 map locations.
104 homeworld/starbase/hypergate/advanced tech locations.

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/886/hw002.png
Last edited by dolomite13 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cook dolomite13

Re: Homeworlds - Battle Royale - Map & Graphics Update 5/15

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Mon May 20, 2013 1:05 pm

It's taken a while for me to be able to get to this, but here's a few comments:

* The over all design I think works nicely and does help to cut down on unneeded territories for those who were concerned about it being an issue

* I like the two techs that are there, I think they both provide a good incentive to research them.

* Hyper Navigation - I think the text here could be a bit more clear in its wording, though I can't think of suggestions atm myself. I think you're trying to say if you own a Hypergate tech on any one homeworld, you can attack from any homeworld sector to any wormhole?

* Hyperwarp - "Increased" is misspelled as "intreased"

* Nebula - "themap" should be "the map"

* Might be worthwhile to put a (HG) beside Hypergate on the top right, (AT) beside Advanced Tech on bottom left, and (SB) beside Starbase on the bottom right, just to add some extra clarity for the abbreviations in the homeworlds list section

I think that covers everything that jumped out at me. Overall I think it's looking really great and I look forward to playing it soon :)
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Next

Return to Recycling Box