Conquer Club

Well-regulated militias

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Would you join the Troll Forest Bridge?

Total votes : 0

Re: Well-regulated militias

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:55 pm

fadedpsychosis wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:So moving past the irrelevant ooge and PLAYER comments,

what would the federal government's reaction be if a group of people took seriously the 2nd Amendment by forming their own well-regulated militia?

we already have that... it's called the national guard...

Those are state-mandated--not exactly what I'm talking about.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby notyou2 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:19 pm

Whatchoo talkin' bout Willis?
Captain notyou2

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:08 pm

notyou2 wrote:Whatchoo talkin' bout Willis?

Well-regulated militias that aren't under the discretion of the State nor Federal governments.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby muy_thaiguy on Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:11 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:

Well-regulated militias that aren't under the discretion of the State nor Federal governments.

City Police Departments?
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:54 pm

muy_thaiguy wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

City Police Departments?

Throw in "municipal government," and we might be getting closer.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:16 pm

Forget about trying to imagine what a militia might look like under today's circumstances. At the time when militias would need to be called upon, you will have long been going to bed hungry and a fight would already be well underway.

Major Phatscotty

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:29 am

Phatscotty, you're becoming a good example of a negative externality.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:38 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:Phatscotty, you're becoming a good example of a negative externality.

damnit...

I just thought that clip was a good example of how a militia would actually operate and what the conditions would be in order for them to be actually called upon
Major Phatscotty

Postby tzor on Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:24 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:So moving past the irrelevant ooge and PLAYER comments,

what would the federal government's reaction be if a group of people took seriously the 2nd Amendment by forming their own well-regulated militia?

Good question. Say what ever happened to those guys who banded together to protect the southern border?

Doing pretty good as of last year.

Arizona Militias Gain Momentum After Citizen Border Group Bill is Defeated

Not sure about 2013.
Cadet tzor

Postby ooge on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:45 pm

As long as the government does not view a few guys playing army with themselves, "a militia" as a threat, they will ignore it.Once they view it as a threat the government will squash it like a bug.It seems to me that millitia people when faced with a real situation will pee their pants and cry for their mommy's
Last edited by ooge on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain ooge

Postby tzor on Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:50 pm

It should be pointed out, if you really want to go with what the second amendment is supposed to be about, that "militias" are state entities. Not that the Federal Government cares a wit anymore what the states do or think these days, but militias were supposed to be the jurisdiction of the states at the time the Constitution was written. So if the state is cool with a "private" militia then that should be enough; if not, then they are illegal.
Cadet tzor

Postby ooge on Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:05 pm

tzor wrote:It should be pointed out, if you really want to go with what the second amendment is supposed to be about, that "militias" are state entities. Not that the Federal Government cares a wit anymore what the states do or think these days, but militias were supposed to be the jurisdiction of the states at the time the Constitution was written. So if the state is cool with a "private" militia then that should be enough; if not, then they are illegal.

that is how The guard ended up in Iraq.
Captain ooge

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:26 am

ooge wrote:As long as the government does not view a few guys playing army with themselves, "a militia" as a threat, they will ignore it.Once they view it as a threat the government will squash it like a bug.It seems to me that millitia people when faced with a really situation will pee their pants and cry for their mommy's

I'm actually not sure how the relevant bureaucrats view private militias within US borders, but there seems to have been a bad history for any militia which arms itself.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:27 am

tzor wrote:It should be pointed out, if you really want to go with what the second amendment is supposed to be about, that "militias" are state entities. Not that the Federal Government cares a wit anymore what the states do or think these days, but militias were supposed to be the jurisdiction of the states at the time the Constitution was written. So if the state is cool with a "private" militia then that should be enough; if not, then they are illegal.

Interesting, but I'll settle on the scholars' interpretation instead.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby ooge on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:43 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:
ooge wrote:As long as the government does not view a few guys playing army with themselves, "a militia" as a threat, they will ignore it.Once they view it as a threat the government will squash it like a bug.It seems to me that millitia people when faced with a real situation will pee their pants and cry for their mommy's

I'm actually not sure how the relevant bureaucrats view private militias within US borders, but there seems to have been a bad history for any militia which arms itself.

You could have just said you agreed with me :lol:
Captain ooge

Postby saxitoxin on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:53 am

Militias are banned under the Arizona constitution, I think ...

Arizona Declaration of Rights

The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself or the State shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain, or employ an armed body of men.

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp ... t/2/26.htm
ImageImage
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:44 am

saxitoxin wrote:Militias are banned under the Arizona constitution, I think ...

The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself or the State shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain, or employ an armed body of men.

Armed body of men? I think I spotted a loophole.
Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:55 am

ooge wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
ooge wrote:As long as the government does not view a few guys playing army with themselves, "a militia" as a threat, they will ignore it.Once they view it as a threat the government will squash it like a bug.It seems to me that millitia people when faced with a real situation will pee their pants and cry for their mommy's

You could have just said you agreed with me :lol:

I kinda want to agree, but that would be too easy. I must continue fighting for Justice.

(I want to say that the government will tend to view any well-regulated, private militia as a threat to its own hold on The People, so it'll find ways to justify crushing such forms of self-government).
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:56 am

Haggis_McMutton wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:Militias are banned under the Arizona constitution, I think ...

Armed body of men? I think I spotted a loophole.

I'd join that.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby patches70 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:04 am

I don't know why you are asking the question about militias that you are. How is it that you don't know anything about what you already are? You are an American citizen, BBS? Then you are part of the militia. Unless you are in the military, and for some reason you don't strike me as the professional soldier type. I could be wrong about that, but if I'm not, then you already belong to the militia. Whether you like it or not!
Private patches70

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:06 am

patches70 wrote:I don't know why you are asking the question about militias that you are. How is it that you don't know anything about what you already are? You are an American citizen, BBS? Then you are part of the militia. Unless you are in the military, and for some reason you don't strike me as the professional soldier type. I could be wrong about that, but if I'm not, then you already belong to the militia. Whether you like it or not!

I'm a proud, non-card-carrying member of the Troll Forest Brigade, but I don't recall signing up for "the militia."
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby patches70 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:24 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:
patches70 wrote:I don't know why you are asking the question about militias that you are. How is it that you don't know anything about what you already are? You are an American citizen, BBS? Then you are part of the militia. Unless you are in the military, and for some reason you don't strike me as the professional soldier type. I could be wrong about that, but if I'm not, then you already belong to the militia. Whether you like it or not!

I'm a proud, non-card-carrying member of the Troll Forest Brigade, but I don't recall signing up for "the militia."

You certainly didn't sign up, but you are a member of the militia regardless. Should I explain or are you going to take my word for it?
Private patches70

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:27 am

patches70 wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

You certainly didn't sign up, but you are a member of the militia regardless. Should I explain or are you going to take my word for it?

You're gonna hafta tease out your reasoning on this one.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby patches70 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:38 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:
patches70 wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

You're gonna hafta tease out your reasoning on this one.

Look, man, I gotta head out and do some work and won't be back until later tonight. I'll get more specific at that time. For now I'll leave you this to contemplate upon-

I want you to look at these pictures. Keep in mind that at the time these people were civilians who probably thought they weren't part of a militia either-

These poor fools didn't think they had any obligations either. They learned the folly of their thinking eventually. Though I grant you that each and everyone was put into very tough positions where certain choices had to be made, and every choice sucked.

But indeed, you are in the militia whether you think you are or not and if circumstances came around similar to what these poor saps had to deal with, then you'll find that your "I never signed a contract" argument won't be worth the rope that is used to hang you with. Each and every citizen of the US is in the militia, the unorganized militia. I'm not saying it's fair, but life rarely is fair as you well know yourself.

But I'll explain in detail later. Till then, Tooddle Loo and keep up the good fight.
Private patches70

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:00 am

patches70 wrote:But indeed, you are in the militia whether you think you are or not and if circumstances came around similar to what these poor saps had to deal with, then you'll find that your "I never signed a contract" argument won't be worth the rope that is used to hang you with. Each and every citizen of the US is in the militia, the unorganized militia. I'm not saying it's fair, but life rarely is fair as you well know yourself.

But I'll explain in detail later. Till then, Tooddle Loo and keep up the good fight.

According to the Wikipedia and the Militia Act of 1903, also known as the Dick Act (terrific name), "...every able-bodied man of at least 17 and under 45 years of age who is not a member of the National Guard or Naval Militia, are part of the 'unorganized militia'. [That is anyone who would be eligible for a draft.] Former members of the armed forces up to age 65 are also considered part of the 'unorganized militia' "

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,