Conquer Club

Gun Control

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Background Checks/Gun Control: Do They Work?

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:35 pm

Woodruff wrote:
I grant that's true. Now my question...does it actually matter? Are your personal firearms actually going to make ANY DIFFERENCE if the government goes full-retard-totalitarian? The idea that they would be effective against the military now is ludicrous.

There was a time when they would. I don't believe they could now.

Let's brush past the typical totalitarianism in Uhmerica arguments that others hold.

Now, do you think Americans have generally become conditioned to higher taxes and more wars over the decades?
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Re:

Postby Night Strike on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:37 pm

Symmetry wrote:
Night Strike wrote:
muy_thaiguy wrote:So, tell me. What's wrong with background checks for purchasing firearms? Unless you're an ex-con (violent crimes) or something like that, I don't see why people would get their panties in a twist about it.

If the government is notified every time a gun changes ownership, then they would easily have the abilities to create a registry of gun owners. Even if they claim they would never actually build such a database. Does anyone actually believe them when they say that?

They have several such databases.

the ATF Firearms Tracing System (FTS) contains hundreds of millions of firearm tracing and registration records, and consists of several databases:
1. Multiple Sale Reports. Over 460,000 (2003) Multiple Sales reports (ATF F 3310.4 - a registration record with specific firearms and owner name and address - increasing by about 140,000 per year). Reported as 4.2 million records in 2010.[8]
2. Suspect Guns. All guns suspected of being used for criminal purposes but not recovered by law enforcement. This database includes (ATF's own examples[citation needed]), individuals purchasing large quantities of firearms, and dealers with improper record keeping. May include guns observed by law enforcement in an estate, or at a gun show, or elsewhere.[citation needed] Reported as 34,807 in 2010. [8]
3. Traced Guns. Over 4 million detail records from all traces since inception.[8]This is a registration record which includes the personal information of the first retail purchaser, along with the identity of the selling dealer.
4. Out of Business Records. Data is manually collected from paper Out-of-Business records (or input from computer records) and entered into the trace system by ATF. These are registration records which include name and address, make, model, serial and caliber of the firearm(s), as well as data from the 4473 form - in digital or image format. In March, 2010, ATF reported receiving several hundred million records since 1968. [9]
5. Theft Guns. Firearms reported as stolen to ATF. Contained 330,000 records in 2010.[8] Contains only thefts from licensed dealers and interstate carriers (optional).[8] Does not have an interface to the FBI's National Crime Information Center (NCIC) theft data base, where the majority of stolen, lost and missing firearms are reported

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_Owners_Protection_Act
Good old Ron Reagan.

Good to know....time to get rid of them. Except for the stolen guns and possibly the suspect guns.
Major Night Strike

Re: Re:

Postby Symmetry on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:03 pm

Night Strike wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
Night Strike wrote:
muy_thaiguy wrote:So, tell me. What's wrong with background checks for purchasing firearms? Unless you're an ex-con (violent crimes) or something like that, I don't see why people would get their panties in a twist about it.

If the government is notified every time a gun changes ownership, then they would easily have the abilities to create a registry of gun owners. Even if they claim they would never actually build such a database. Does anyone actually believe them when they say that?

They have several such databases.

the ATF Firearms Tracing System (FTS) contains hundreds of millions of firearm tracing and registration records, and consists of several databases:
1. Multiple Sale Reports. Over 460,000 (2003) Multiple Sales reports (ATF F 3310.4 - a registration record with specific firearms and owner name and address - increasing by about 140,000 per year). Reported as 4.2 million records in 2010.[8]
2. Suspect Guns. All guns suspected of being used for criminal purposes but not recovered by law enforcement. This database includes (ATF's own examples[citation needed]), individuals purchasing large quantities of firearms, and dealers with improper record keeping. May include guns observed by law enforcement in an estate, or at a gun show, or elsewhere.[citation needed] Reported as 34,807 in 2010. [8]
3. Traced Guns. Over 4 million detail records from all traces since inception.[8]This is a registration record which includes the personal information of the first retail purchaser, along with the identity of the selling dealer.
4. Out of Business Records. Data is manually collected from paper Out-of-Business records (or input from computer records) and entered into the trace system by ATF. These are registration records which include name and address, make, model, serial and caliber of the firearm(s), as well as data from the 4473 form - in digital or image format. In March, 2010, ATF reported receiving several hundred million records since 1968. [9]
5. Theft Guns. Firearms reported as stolen to ATF. Contained 330,000 records in 2010.[8] Contains only thefts from licensed dealers and interstate carriers (optional).[8] Does not have an interface to the FBI's National Crime Information Center (NCIC) theft data base, where the majority of stolen, lost and missing firearms are reported

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_Owners_Protection_Act
Good old Ron Reagan.

Good to know....time to get rid of them. Except for the stolen guns and possibly the suspect guns.

Get rid of the databases, or the guns?
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Baron Von PWN on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:05 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
Baron Von PWN wrote:I put not really. Mainly due to in the American context, guns being so readily available that anyone who really wants a gun can get one illegally. Either through theft or the black market.

I think the answer would be to reduce the supply of guns, which gun control laws might accomplish by reducing legitimate buyers,(legal hurdles ect) which in turn might reduce the amount of guns produced leading to a lower supply of guns available to the black market.

=D> I did too.

Fortunately, reducing arms is a restriction on our right to bear arms. It would be like reducing voting locations.

The overall answer is that we need to fix our culture. Why doesn't anyone want to seem to do that?

How do you "fix culture" what is it about american culture that needs fixing which would make an abundance of guns not a problem?
Sergeant 1st Class Baron Von PWN

Postby Night Strike on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:11 pm

Baron Von PWN wrote:How do you "fix culture" what is it about american culture that needs fixing which would make an abundance of guns not a problem?

The devaluation of human life and the removal of traditional, stable families are good places to start fixing.
Major Night Strike

Postby Phatscotty on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:12 pm

Baron Von PWN wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
Baron Von PWN wrote:I put not really. Mainly due to in the American context, guns being so readily available that anyone who really wants a gun can get one illegally. Either through theft or the black market.

I think the answer would be to reduce the supply of guns, which gun control laws might accomplish by reducing legitimate buyers,(legal hurdles ect) which in turn might reduce the amount of guns produced leading to a lower supply of guns available to the black market.

=D> I did too.

Fortunately, reducing arms is a restriction on our right to bear arms. It would be like reducing voting locations.

The overall answer is that we need to fix our culture. Why doesn't anyone want to seem to do that?

How do you "fix culture"

Well, for one and most pertinent to the discussion here, we can do a LOT better in teaching our children "thou shall not kill"....agree so far?
Major Phatscotty

Postby Baron Von PWN on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:15 pm

Night Strike/Phatscotty wrote:
Baron Von PWN wrote:How do you "fix culture" what is it about american culture that needs fixing which would make an abundance of guns not a problem?

The devaluation of human life and the removal of traditional, stable families are good places to start fixing.

Well, for one and most pertinent to the discussion here, we can do a LOT better in teaching our children "thou shall not kill"....agree so far?

Ok how do you do that? Shout "Don't kill people!" at children repeatedly? Ban divorce so couples are forced to stay together?

Postby Phatscotty on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:18 pm

Baron Von PWN wrote:

Ok how do you do that? Shout "Don't kill people!" at children repeatedly? Ban divorce so couples are forced to stay together?

We teach it, just like we would teach anything else. I'm sure there are ways to teach besides shouting.

Have you been drinking or something? Where is the tude coming from?
Major Phatscotty

Postby Woodruff on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:20 pm

Night Strike wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
Night Strike wrote:

I grant that's true. Now my question...does it actually matter? Are your personal firearms actually going to make ANY DIFFERENCE if the government goes full-retard-totalitarian? The idea that they would be effective against the military now is ludicrous.

So the answer is to just let them take away all the guns?

Boy, you jumped to full-retard quick. Where did I say anything of the sort, Night Strike? Would you like to discuss the issue rationally, or would you like to continue with your terror-induced coma for a while first?

Night Strike wrote:Your response just demonstrates why there should be fewer gun restrictions, not more of them.

No it doesn't. Please explain how my response demonstrates any such thing, Night Strike.

Night Strike wrote:Besides, as others have mentioned (on this site and others), the citizens only have to demonstrate they will fight if necessary in order for many members of the military to ignore such unlawful orders of turning against the citizens.

See, here's what you don't get. I know that. I was in the military, and there's no question in my mind that a portion of the military would go against such orders. That being said, it STILL DOESN'T MATTER. That military equipment is what would be necessary. As I said before, the idea that your personal firearms are going to be effective against the military using military equipment is ludicrous.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Woodruff on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:22 pm

Baron Von PWN wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:

=D> I did too.

How do you "fix culture" what is it about american culture that needs fixing which would make an abundance of guns not a problem?

1. Go back to Christian ideals.
2. Get rid of the homosexuals and liberals.
3. Profit.

Night Strike wrote:

Bingo.

Phatscotty wrote:
Baron Von PWN wrote:How do you "fix culture"

Imagine that.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby Woodruff on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:25 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
Baron Von PWN wrote:

We teach it, just like we would teach anything else. I'm sure there are ways to teach besides shouting.

I'm just curious as to why you believe our children aren't being taught not to kill. Is seems ludicrous on the face of it.

Postby Night Strike on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:56 pm

Woodruff wrote:I'm just curious as to why you believe our children aren't being taught not to kill. Is seems ludicrous on the face of it.

They're taught that abortion is perfectly acceptable. Doesn't seem so ludicrous.

Woodruff wrote:
Night Strike wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
Night Strike wrote:

Boy, you jumped to full-retard quick. Where did I say anything of the sort, Night Strike? Would you like to discuss the issue rationally, or would you like to continue with your terror-induced coma for a while first?

But that's where we end up, so why not just start the discussion there? More background checks are the "rational" step to do, yet it won't accomplish anything. The next "rational" step will be to ban semi-automatic rifles that look like military weapons, yet that won't accomplish anything. Then we'll ban large magazines, then we'll ban handguns, then we'll ban shotguns and long rifles, then we'll take away guns that are already owned.

What we truly need are harsh punishments for those who murder. Including removing all of this nonsense about the mass murderers being too mentally ill to stand trial. They were coherent enough to plan their attacks, that means they're coherent enough to answer the charges and go to jail if convicted (although I prefer death penalty). Let's focus on punishing the criminals, not all gun owners.
Major Night Strike

Postby Symmetry on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:12 pm

Night Strike wrote:What we truly need are harsh punishments for those who murder. Including removing all of this nonsense about the mass murderers being too mentally ill to stand trial. They were coherent enough to plan their attacks, that means they're coherent enough to answer the charges and go to jail if convicted (although I prefer death penalty). Let's focus on punishing the criminals, not all gun owners.

No, dude, that's not really how mental illness works.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby muy_thaiguy on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:59 pm

Night Strike wrote:What we truly need are harsh punishments for those who murder. Including removing all of this nonsense about the mass murderers being too mentally ill to stand trial. They were coherent enough to plan their attacks, that means they're coherent enough to answer the charges and go to jail if convicted (although I prefer death penalty). Let's focus on punishing the criminals, not all gun owners.

I'm really not sure where this is coming from. Sociopaths and psychopaths are put on trial for murders. Terrorists are put on trial for murders (if they can be brought in alive). People who have actual illnesses like schezophrenia and what not, actual diseases, are the ones who are found to be mentally ill. They are often sent to psychiatric hospitals in order to be treated for their illnesses. But otherwise, yes, mass murderers are put on trial.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:23 am

The Voice wrote:As an aside, TheGreekDog, your implication(s) that Woodruff is Juan_Bottom, and Woodruff, your implication(s) that TGD is Phatscotty only make you both look more like the person you're being labeled as. I guess what I'm saying is stop it. Neither of you are as nearly as bad as either of the others. Actually, I quite like reading your posts when they're not being used to egg on the another. I skip past the posts made by PS and JB and move right along to yours because I feel like I can learn something true.

I was not referring to Woodruff as Juan Bottom. I was indicated that he agrees with Juan Bottom and that seems stupid.

In any event... thanks! I have enjoyed this forum for more than a few years.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby patches70 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:11 am

Baron Von PWN wrote: Ban divorce so couples are forced to stay together?

Lordy, that would only triple, no quadruple the homicide rate!
Private patches70

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:16 am

Can someone explain to me how background checks would have stopped the Sandy Hook massacre? I would also appreciate an explanation of how the Assault Weapons Ban would have stopped the Sandy Hook massacre. I mean, Rachel Maddow did a good job describing how we could only have witnessed the killing of 20 kids instead of 40 if only the killer had less ammunition, but my understanding is that none of the currently contemplated laws have that.

Postby Baron Von PWN on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:58 am

Phatscotty wrote:
Baron Von PWN wrote:

The attitude is due to your proposed problems and solutions are silly.

I don't think telling people not to kill people will help prevent these things from happening. I think its already pretty well understood killing people is not acceptable.

Similarly I don't see how bringing back the "traditional" family would fix anything, or even how you would bring back the traditional family.

"Ok women you having jobs and careers has caused society to be all fucked up back to the kitchen with you!"

Finally violent crime is half what it was in 1991, and has continued to drop despite the recession. Maybe we are doing something right.

Postby muy_thaiguy on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:15 am

thegreekdog wrote:Can someone explain to me how background checks would have stopped the Sandy Hook massacre? I would also appreciate an explanation of how the Assault Weapons Ban would have stopped the Sandy Hook massacre. I mean, Rachel Maddow did a good job describing how we could only have witnessed the killing of 20 kids instead of 40 if only the killer had less ammunition, but my understanding is that none of the currently contemplated laws have that.

Not arguing about magazine size or anything like that (that's a whole different animal anyway), or that some crimes wouldn't happen. Or even assault rifle bans (though, unless a gun collector, or practice range, why have an assault rifle? Because some talk show hack said so?) But if done properly, background checks very well could prevent many crimes from happening otherwise. At the very least, it wouldn't hurt anything unless you are a high risk threat (mental disease or defect/violent (former) convict), in which case it would not be sold to you. In such cases, I don't see the problem here.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:42 am

muy_thaiguy wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:Can someone explain to me how background checks would have stopped the Sandy Hook massacre? I would also appreciate an explanation of how the Assault Weapons Ban would have stopped the Sandy Hook massacre. I mean, Rachel Maddow did a good job describing how we could only have witnessed the killing of 20 kids instead of 40 if only the killer had less ammunition, but my understanding is that none of the currently contemplated laws have that.

Not arguing about magazine size or anything like that (that's a whole different animal anyway), or that some crimes wouldn't happen. Or even assault rifle bans (though, unless a gun collector, or practice range, why have an assault rifle? Because some talk show hack said so?) But if done properly, background checks very well could prevent many crimes from happening otherwise. At the very least, it wouldn't hurt anything unless you are a high risk threat (mental disease or defect/violent (former) convict), in which case it would not be sold to you. In such cases, I don't see the problem here.

I'm in favor of background checks, I'm just concerned about the relative expectations of the general public with respect to any Congressional bills that are passed and signed. There should not be an expectation that if assault weapons were banned or bacgrkound checks strengthened, we'll all be safe from future Sandy Hooks.

Postby Woodruff on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:45 pm

Night Strike wrote:
Woodruff wrote:I'm just curious as to why you believe our children aren't being taught not to kill. Is seems ludicrous on the face of it.

They're taught that abortion is perfectly acceptable. Doesn't seem so ludicrous.

Your statement right there is ludicrous. I have NEVER (NOT ONCE) heard anyone say that abortion is "perfectly acceptable". In fact, I believe the most complimentary phrase I've heard regarding "abortion" would be "necessary in this case". That's hardly teaching someone to do it.

Night Strike wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
Night Strike wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
Night Strike wrote:

But that's where we end up, so why not just start the discussion there? More background checks are the "rational" step to do, yet it won't accomplish anything. The next "rational" step will be to ban semi-automatic rifles that look like military weapons, yet that won't accomplish anything. Then we'll ban large magazines, then we'll ban handguns, then we'll ban shotguns and long rifles, then we'll take away guns that are already owned.

What we truly need are harsh punishments for those who murder. Including removing all of this nonsense about the mass murderers being too mentally ill to stand trial. They were coherent enough to plan their attacks, that means they're coherent enough to answer the charges and go to jail if convicted (although I prefer death penalty). Let's focus on punishing the criminals, not all gun owners.

It would have been easier for you to just respond to my question with "I'd like to continue with my terror-induced coma for a while first, thank you".
Last edited by Woodruff on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Woodruff on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:48 pm

The simple answer is that they wouldn't have. But I don't believe anyone is advocating that gun control laws are some sort of a "golden bullet" (pardon the expression). It doesn't make sense to me that a solution must work in all instances or we can't implement it.

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:00 pm

Woodruff wrote:

The simple answer is that they wouldn't have. But I don't believe anyone is advocating that gun control laws are some sort of a "golden bullet" (pardon the expression). It doesn't make sense to me that a solution must work in all instances or we can't implement it.

I don't disagree.

Again, my concern here is twofold.

First, any gun control law that is passed show be at least marginally effective.

I think strengthening background checks will be marginally effective as it will ensure that those who have objectionable backgrounds cannot purchase weapons. However, those people can still get weapons illegally and therefore I use the term "marginally effective." For example, in Philadelphia in 2011, over 80% of murders were committed by gun and 60% were committed by people who had previous arrests for violent crimes (and who would thus fail a background check). The Mayor indicated that the biggest issue regarding violence in Philadelphia was the ability of people to purchase guns illegally.

http://www.thedp.com/article/2013/01/ef ... nce-abound

So, marginally effective.

I think banning the sale of assault weapons is ineffective, mainly for reasons already stated (i.e. only semi-automatics that look like automatics are banned).

Thus, we have two laws that, together, may be marginally effective (at best) and completely ineffective (at worst). So, we're getting our hopes up and spending money for no really good reasons (or, alternatively, arguing vociferously against these laws and spending money for no really good reasons).

Second, the politics of this entire issue are frustrating. On the one hand you have the president and members of Congress politicizing these bills as being effective. They aren't effective. On the other hand you have members of Congress politicizing these bills as being unconstitutional. They aren't unconstitutional (and aren't effective anyway). Frustrating.

Postby comic boy on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:43 pm

Night Strike thinks children need to be taught not to kill people , then he states that he supports the Death Penalty......... :roll:
Im a TOFU miSfit
Brigadier comic boy

Postby Woodruff on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:30 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

I don't disagree.

Again, my concern here is twofold.

First, any gun control law that is passed show be at least marginally effective.

Absolutely. As with any law, hopefully.

thegreekdog wrote:I think strengthening background checks will be marginally effective as it will ensure that those who have objectionable backgrounds cannot purchase weapons. However, those people can still get weapons illegally and therefore I use the term "marginally effective."

Sure, I agree with that. Basically, it makes things more of a pain in the ass for them to do, and MAYBE convinces some of them to not bother. I think that's a worthy goal.

thegreekdog wrote:I think banning the sale of assault weapons is ineffective, mainly for reasons already stated (i.e. only semi-automatics that look like automatics are banned).

I tend to think bans of any sort are ineffective. Prohibition, anyone?

thegreekdog wrote:Second, the politics of this entire issue are frustrating. On the one hand you have the president and members of Congress politicizing these bills as being effective. They aren't effective. On the other hand you have members of Congress politicizing these bills as being unconstitutional. They aren't unconstitutional (and aren't effective anyway). Frustrating.

Indeed.

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,