Vertex/Austrum [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

Postby puppydog85 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:40 am

Quick point on Austrum, once I figured out that it was not the last map I played (Vertex), I had a slight amount of trouble finding out what the exploratorum were (it might be that it was speed 1min. game). But perhaps it might be possible to make the ships in the legend a little bolder? They just looked like background decoration to me, but the whole thing could have been because I was confused about the map and then the time.
Major puppydog85

Medals: 75
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (9)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (7) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (6)

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:11 pm

puppydog85 wrote:Quick point on Austrum, once I figured out that it was not the last map I played (Vertex), I had a slight amount of trouble finding out what the exploratorum were (it might be that it was speed 1min. game). But perhaps it might be possible to make the ships in the legend a little bolder? They just looked like background decoration to me, but the whole thing could have been because I was confused about the map and then the time.

This has been brought up before. Will look into it but a new map, 1 minute speed and getting confused with Vertex is probably not the best thing to play. Now try playing both in a 1 minute speed while drinking. Every game you lose, you drink a pint. :oops:
Sergeant 1st Class koontz1973
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 116
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)
Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (9)

Postby perchorin on Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:56 pm

Beautiful map koontz. I do have to say though that I find the font you've used for the legend (while quite attractive) is terribly difficult to read. Enough straining and I figured out what it said, but I can guarantee you any players on this site who's native language doesn't use the Roman alphabet will be very hard-pressed to know what the legend says.
Silvanus wrote:perch is a North Korean agent to infiltrate south Korean girls
Major perchorin

Medals: 118
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (28) General Achievement (8)
Clan Achievement (11) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (1)

Postby ManBungalow on Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:14 pm

perchorin wrote:Beautiful map koontz. I do have to say though that I find the font you've used for the legend (while quite attractive) is terribly difficult to read. Enough straining and I figured out what it said, but I can guarantee you any players on this site who's native language doesn't use the Roman alphabet will be very hard-pressed to know what the legend says.

I also raised a point about the font of the legend about three pages back.
Brigadier ManBungalow

Medals: 84
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (10) Clan Achievement (12) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (6)

Postby betiko on Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:54 pm

Haven t tried austrum yet but I m playing a few vertex and I like it with its original bonus.
Brigadier betiko
SoC Training Adviser

Medals: 149
Conquer Cup Gold Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (30) Clan Achievement (7) Training Achievement (2)

Postby jigger1986 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:21 pm

Just want to say koodos on some great maps. Played several games on Vertex, only a couple on Austrum, but I think they are both great!

I would really like to see a third added to the set, and perhaps a supersize maps where they are all linked somehow?
Major jigger1986

Medals: 143
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30)
General Achievement (9) Clan Achievement (11) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (30) General Contribution (1)

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:09 pm

perchorin wrote: I do have to say though that I find the font you've used for the legend (while quite attractive) is terribly difficult to read.

As I said to ManB a few pages back as well, the font fits the map. If it is a choice of another font that is easier to read and lose some of the style, I will choose the font used. It may be hard, but not imposable.
jigger1986 wrote:I would really like to see a third added to the set, and perhaps a supersize maps where they are all linked somehow?

My plan has always been to do the next 2/3 maps running around the equator. I have started on the first one but wanted to see how these a liked first.
betiko wrote:Haven t tried austrum yet but I m playing a few vertex and I like it with its original bonus.

Great to hear. I am getting the same in games.
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)

Postby perchorin on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:24 pm

koontz1973 wrote:
perchorin wrote: I do have to say though that I find the font you've used for the legend (while quite attractive) is terribly difficult to read.

As I said to ManB a few pages back as well, the font fits the map. If it is a choice of another font that is easier to read and lose some of the style, I will choose the font used. It may be hard, but not imposable.

I have to disagree. I asked my wife to have a look. She's Korean but her English ability is quite high and it was impossible for her to read the legend. I realize it's likely a small percentage of CC players who's native language uses a a non-Roman alphabet but it seems to me quite unfair to write a legend on a map that isn't decipherable to all players. How is that particular font so integral to the map anyway?
Major perchorin

Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (28) General Achievement (8)
Clan Achievement (11) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (1)

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:30 pm

perchorin wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:

I have to disagree. I asked my wife to have a look. She's Korean but her English ability is quite high and it was impossible for her to read the legend. I realize it's likely a small percentage of CC players who's native language uses a a non-Roman alphabet but it seems to me quite unfair to write a legend on a map that isn't decipherable to all players. How is that particular font so integral to the map anyway?

Can your wife read the legend on the large map?
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby perchorin on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:32 am

koontz1973 wrote:
perchorin wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:

Not well enough to understand what it says. She can make out a few words but not enough of them to put it all together. When I told her the first word in the upper right was "Hold" she thought I was pulling her leg.
Major perchorin

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:41 am

perchorin wrote:Not well enough to understand what it says. She can make out a few words but not enough of them to put it all together. When I told her the first word in the upper right was "Hold" she thought I was pulling her leg.

:lol:

Will have a look for you then.
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby perchorin on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:44 am

koontz1973 wrote:
perchorin wrote:Not well enough to understand what it says. She can make out a few words but not enough of them to put it all together. When I told her the first word in the upper right was "Hold" she thought I was pulling her leg.

:lol:

Will have a look for you then.

I appreciate it!
Major perchorin

Postby Gilligan on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:11 am

perchorin wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:
perchorin wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:

Not well enough to understand what it says. She can make out a few words but not enough of them to put it all together. When I told her the first word in the upper right was "Hold" she thought I was pulling her leg.

Were you actually? :shock:
Captain Gilligan
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 190
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (29) Clan Achievement (7) Challenge Achievement (3)

Postby whakamole on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:50 pm

issue observed in Austrum Game 12647565... pretty sure i meet conditions for a bonus holding andros-sarnia-thasos-melite but the +1 does not show up? code problem or am i not interpreting the map correctly?

thx.
Sergeant whakamole

Medals: 68
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (14)
Training Achievement (1)

Postby nolefan5311 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:35 pm

whakamole wrote:issue observed in Austrum Game 12647565... pretty sure i meet conditions for a bonus holding andros-sarnia-thasos-melite but the +1 does not show up? code problem or am i not interpreting the map correctly?

thx.

It looks like this will need to fixed in the XML
Major nolefan5311

Medals: 108
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (29) General Achievement (5)
Clan Achievement (12) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (4)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas