Conquer Club

We're going to Mars

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

We're going to Mars

Postby Juan_Bottom on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:30 am

http://applicants.mars-one.com/

Apply within.

Mars 2023: Inhabitants Wanted
Mars One will establish a permanent human settlement on Mars. We invite you to participate by sharing our vision with your friends, and, perhaps, by becoming the next Mars astronaut yourself.

Mars One is a not-for-profit organization whose goal is to establish a human settlement on Mars through the integration of existing, readily available technologies from industry leaders world-wide. Mars One intends to fund this decade-long endeavor by involving the whole world as the audience of an interactive, televised broadcast of every aspect of this mission, from the astronaut selections and their preparations to the arrival on Mars and their lives on the Red Planet.

But remember - this is a one-way trip.

Click image to enlarge.
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Re: We're going to Mars

Postby TeeGee on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:55 am

Just saw this on TV here.... wonder what speed internet they will have...
Major TeeGee
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Location: Traversing the Multiverse, looking for a Yak with 3 ears

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:35 am

Juan_Bottom wrote:Mars One intends to fund this decade-long endeavor by involving the whole world as the audience of an interactive, televised broadcast of every aspect of this mission, from the astronaut selections and their preparations to the arrival on Mars and their lives on the Red Planet.

Not sure how I feel about: Mars: The reality game show
Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:14 am

I'm concerned about the type of people that would be willing to take a one-way trip to Mars.

"Hey, smart scientist guy. Want to go to Mars?"
"Can I come back?"
"Nope"
"f*ck no!"

"Hey, crazy loner guy. Want to go to Mars?"
"Can I say there forever?"
"Yes."
"f*ck yes!"
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby patches70 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:16 am

I think Juan would be a great candidate to go to Mars! Toss Player and Woodruff in as well. Mets should definitely go too. It'd be an experience of a lifetime. To boldly go where no man has gone before. Hell, look at Woodruffs avatar, he most definitely should be going, Spock would.
Private patches70

Postby MegaProphet on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:29 am

TeeGee wrote:Just saw this on TV here.... wonder what speed internet they will have...

It'll be a six minute delay from Earth
Corporal MegaProphet

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:39 am

Haggis_McMutton wrote:
Juan_Bottom wrote:Mars One intends to fund this decade-long endeavor by involving the whole world as the audience of an interactive, televised broadcast of every aspect of this mission, from the astronaut selections and their preparations to the arrival on Mars and their lives on the Red Planet.

We should probably nominate a few people from the Off Topics.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:45 am

AndyDufresne wrote:
Haggis_McMutton wrote:

We should probably nominate a few people from the Off Topics.

--Andy

So that the resulting reality tv show will have daily abortion and gun rights debates? not a bad idea.

Also, wired article on this thing:
Announced in May, Mars One has an extremely aggressive goal: land a crew of four on the Red Planet by 2023. The company hopes to cut costs with a radical mission. They intend to send people on a one-way trip to set up a colony, with a new set of four settlers arriving every two years after the initial touchdown. Mars One said it intends to pay for the plan by creating ā€œthe biggest media spectacle in historyā€ with a reality TV show that will follow the astronauts.

While mentioning that the goal of expanding human civilization is worthy, our experts were not entirely convinced that Mars Oneā€™s business model is fully thought through. ā€œIt doesnā€™t strike me as as plausible as the others,ā€ said astronomer Jonathan McDowell.

ā€œIā€™m not sure thereā€™s enough money out there to fund something as complex and expensive as a human mission to Mars,ā€ said journalist Jeff Foust. ā€œThe best I can say is good luck.ā€

ā€œGoing to Mars is 100 times difficult than going to the moon,ā€ said space lawyer Michael Listner. Besides the fact that we donā€™t currently have the technology to put enough mass for a human mission on the Martian surface, there are many unknowns, including radiation and corrosive dust on Mars and the debilitating effects of long-term space travel, which could deteriorate the astronautsā€™ bones and eyes. Regulation from Earth governments looking to introduce safety measures could also delay or alter the mission.

Though Mars One estimates their first mission would cost only $6 billion, Listner said the entire plan, including future resupplies and crew, could be on the order of $1 trillion. Funding such a mission through ad sales sounds about as plausible as a Pinky and the Brain plan to take over the world.

ā€œI suspect it wouldnā€™t be that good for TV,ā€ said Foust. ā€œNASA televises their space activities, and Iā€™m sure almost nobody watches it. Itā€™s mostly tinkering with experiments, replacing an air filter.ā€ Sustaining interest once the novelty wears off could be a major challenge, he added.

Mars One recently converted itself into a nonprofit company, so it will likely have many of the same challenges at something like B612. Though they may be the least likely of the recent private space companies to achieve their goals, ā€œyouā€™ve got to dream big,ā€ said Listner. ā€œAnd they will certainly inspire a lot of people.ā€

Bottom line: Mars One has sky-high plans that will most likely struggle to get off the ground.

Link: http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/12/audacious-space-companies-2012/?pid=5747
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:01 am

Haggis_McMutton wrote:
Announced in May, Mars One has an extremely aggressive goal: land a crew of four on the Red Planet by 2023. The company hopes to cut costs with a radical mission. They intend to send people on a one-way trip to set up a colony, with a new set of four settlers arriving every two years after the initial touchdown. Mars One said it intends to pay for the plan by creating ā€œthe biggest media spectacle in historyā€ with a reality TV show that will follow the astronauts.

While mentioning that the goal of expanding human civilization is worthy, our experts were not entirely convinced that Mars Oneā€™s business model is fully thought through. ā€œIt doesnā€™t strike me as as plausible as the others,ā€ said astronomer Jonathan McDowell.

ā€œIā€™m not sure thereā€™s enough money out there to fund something as complex and expensive as a human mission to Mars,ā€ said journalist Jeff Foust. ā€œThe best I can say is good luck.ā€

ā€œGoing to Mars is 100 times difficult than going to the moon,ā€ said space lawyer Michael Listner. Besides the fact that we donā€™t currently have the technology to put enough mass for a human mission on the Martian surface, there are many unknowns, including radiation and corrosive dust on Mars and the debilitating effects of long-term space travel, which could deteriorate the astronautsā€™ bones and eyes. Regulation from Earth governments looking to introduce safety measures could also delay or alter the mission.

Though Mars One estimates their first mission would cost only $6 billion, Listner said the entire plan, including future resupplies and crew, could be on the order of $1 trillion. Funding such a mission through ad sales sounds about as plausible as a Pinky and the Brain plan to take over the world.

ā€œI suspect it wouldnā€™t be that good for TV,ā€ said Foust. ā€œNASA televises their space activities, and Iā€™m sure almost nobody watches it. Itā€™s mostly tinkering with experiments, replacing an air filter.ā€ Sustaining interest once the novelty wears off could be a major challenge, he added.

Ever seen a government agency turn a profit through television? Not quite sure that NASA TV is comparable to a private sector TV business (although Mars One is non-profit, it's still for profit).

Mars One recently converted itself into a nonprofit company, so it will likely have many of the same challenges at something like B612. Though they may be the least likely of the recent private space companies to achieve their goals, ā€œyouā€™ve got to dream big,ā€ said Listner. ā€œAnd they will certainly inspire a lot of people.ā€

Bottom line: Mars One has sky-high plans that will most likely struggle to get off the ground.

Link: http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/12/audacious-space-companies-2012/?pid=5747
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:06 am

This is a job title I'd like to get. It made me laugh.

ā€œGoing to Mars is 100 times difficult than going to the moon,ā€ said space lawyer Michael Listner

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:25 am

AndyDufresne wrote:This is a job title I'd like to get. It made me laugh.

ā€œGoing to Mars is 100 times difficult than going to the moon,ā€ said space lawyer Michael Listner

--Andy

Yeah, but you'd have to go to space law school first. I hear it costs a whole lot of space dollars.

@ this idea. isn't the whole "relying on the entertainment value of the mission in order to fund the mission" kind of a bad idea? As in a efficient mission with no hick-ups will likely not be entertaining.

Basically, you guys ever see The Apprentice? Now imagine that instead of half-competent lying scumbags the contestants would be honest, decent, smart and efficient. Can't imagine that show would last long.
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Woodruff on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:30 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:http://applicants.mars-one.com/

Apply within.

Unfortunately, it will never take off. I am sadly completely convinced that this is either a scam (as they take in funding) or a very misguided plan (as their timeline and such is not very sound).

That being said, my wife and I have applied.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Woodruff on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:31 pm

patches70 wrote:I think Juan would be a great candidate to go to Mars! Toss Player and Woodruff in as well. Mets should definitely go too. It'd be an experience of a lifetime. To boldly go where no man has gone before. Hell, look at Woodruffs avatar, he most definitely should be going, Spock would.

Oh, no question...it is absolutely my "cup of tea". For me personally (and my wife as well), it's a matter of the opportunity to stand on another planet.

I applied to be a Teacher In Space with NASA, but was never accepted. This is honestly a dream of mine.

I do think your choice of names as candidates is...uh...interesting, if illogical.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby tzor on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:37 pm

Not me, I prefer the Moon. It has a better view of the Earth.
Cadet tzor

Postby 2dimes on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:22 pm

Also don't start with the closest trip so you can actually try to make it possible to come back with what you'll learn in case in the process you figure out how to make it easier to do return trips to the next farther place.

Go to the moon. Go twice as far and come back. Go three times as far and come back. Go five times as far and come back. Eventually figure out how to make it to Mars and back.

The USA spends trillions of dollars and has a bunch of actuall proven space equipment. The fact that it has not returned to the moon probably is due to a reason. I question the "really smart scientists." involved in this plan.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:31 pm

Why Mars and not the more realistic Moon? It seems to me that in tackling the Moon we'd learn more about colonization and such that could be used for something like Mars later.

-TG
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby MegaProphet on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:15 pm

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:Why Mars and not the more realistic Moon? It seems to me that in tackling the Moon we'd learn more about colonization and such that could be used for something like Mars later.

-TG

Buzz Aldrin wrote a book about why Mars and not the moon and I think it boiled down to the fact that it'll be easier to establish a base on Mars than on the moon
Corporal MegaProphet

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:25 pm

MegaProphet wrote:
TA1LGUNN3R wrote:Why Mars and not the more realistic Moon? It seems to me that in tackling the Moon we'd learn more about colonization and such that could be used for something like Mars later.

-TG

Buzz Aldrin wrote a book about why Mars and not the moon and I think it boiled down to the fact that it'll be easier to establish a base on Mars than on the moon

Hm I'll have to check that out. It seems to me the energy expenditure would be far greater and with much less pay off. If we were to colonize the moon, we could more easily transport materials from drilling and mining operations back as it's a fall to earth (only energy being liftoff from the moon surface). The Moon is rich in iron iirc and has water-ice.

-TG
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby crispybits on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:34 pm

Once you get there though I'd imagine (without actually doing any research) that Mars offers greater potential for further expansion. Things like wider varieties of mineral deposits, etc, and there is water ice on Mars too. The more "normal" (compared to Earth) gravity may well be a positive factor too in that current equipment designs wouldn't need any modification, whereas lunar equipment may need to be adapted significantly due to the lower gravity. That's just off the top of my head though, and basically I do kinda agree that the moon should be step 1 and then look to move outwards from there.
Major crispybits

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:09 pm

My money would be on a space elevator being step 1.

Since it would reduce the cost of taking stuff up to space something like 1000X it would not only make the Moon/Mars colonization much more feasible, but would also completely open up the space tourism market.

Keeping in mind that there are currently people paying millions to go for a little while in orbit, I think a couple more advances in the technology will make the building of a space elevator quite economically feasible. Put a hotel at the top and you're set.
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby NoSurvivors on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:09 pm

TeeGee wrote:Just saw this on TV here.... wonder what speed internet they will have...

LOL Damn right, I wonder what my flag would be if I played CC from mars..
Colonel NoSurvivors

Postby Lootifer on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:11 pm

Haggis_McMutton wrote:My money would be on a space elevator being step 1.

Since it would reduce the cost of taking stuff up to space something like 1000X it would not only make the Moon/Mars colonization much more feasible, but would also completely open up the space tourism market.

Keeping in mind that there are currently people paying millions to go for a little while in orbit, I think a couple more advances in the technology will make the building of a space elevator quite economically feasible. Put a hotel at the top and you're set.

Your mums a geostationary orbiting platform tethered to the earth.
I go to the gym to justify my mockery of fat people.
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby Woodruff on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:19 pm

Here's my somewhat uneducated (but I'm a space-geek!) view of things:

We SHOULD establish a base on the Moon first, but ONLY for production. The Moon has vast resources that we could use as aid to manufacturing/launching capabilities, and since the Moon's gravity is significantly less than that of the Earth, we gain a tremendous amount in that regard as well.

So yes to a base on the Moon, but no to colonization on the Moon. Send that to Mars. Why Mars? Because it's fucking Mars, and I wanna be John Carter, dammit! (My absolute favorite series as a kid) Seriously, though...the gravity on Mars is much closer to the Earth, so you mitigate a lot of the health problems that will arise on the moon (kidney stones, osteoporosis, etc...).

Postby Woodruff on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:21 pm

Haggis_McMutton wrote:My money would be on a space elevator being step 1.

A space elevator to the Moon is, in my opinion, not worth the expense. Yes, it would definitely reduce what we need to take up by a massive amount, yet we can manufacture on the Moon (of course, we have to transport that initial equipment there). So I think the expense of the elevator doesn't pay off even with that massive initial savings.

Now, the idea of space tourism...I think that will be a reality in the not-too-distant future (it's already sort of started for the ultra-rich).

Re:

Postby tzor on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:33 pm

2dimes wrote:The fact that it has not returned to the moon probably is due to a reason.

Yes there was never a reason to do so. We only went to the Moon for two reasons; to really prove ICBM technology and to keep the Soviets from getting there first and doing nuclear testing on the dark side of the moon. Real space exploration was never an issue. Real space exploration wanted to build an orbiting station first and go from there.

Besides there was only one person in the entire history of US space flight; George M Lowe. Before him we had the disaster that was Apollo 1, After he left to become President of R.P.I. NASA slowly went to hell in a hand basket. We settled on near orbit stations that could be supplied by a shuttle that could only get to near earth orbit.
Cadet tzor

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,