Conquer Club

Comics

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Comics

Postby ender516 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:54 pm

Still another good bunch, but I call BS on the first one. Anyone geeky enough to make that self-promise would have learned about aglets long ago.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:07 am

The first one gets an automatic +1 from me because he used "grok." I grok.

-TG
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:10 am

Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:31 pm

Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:52 am

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby 2dimes on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:31 am

Haggis_McMutton wrote:
Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

here's the links outside quotes so the big image code works. I brought them to this page to be with my inane comments.

As an iPad user I thank you for the use of bigimg, much better for us.
Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Very good.

It does bother me the guy saying the "get me out of this." grace. Doesn't know the difference between a "prod" and a stun gun.

I guess being from the city and not working with enough cows the author should be excused.

Regardless of why, cows and people are physically quite different. Even if you used a taser on a cow, it would not stun it. It would hurt and make it freak out but I doubt you could harm it much apart from a skin burn, which would be super minor compared to a red hot branding iron.

The prod which he described is just used to make them go up the chute. In order to stun them they need to use a steel rod forced into their brain. It runs on compressed air and is called the "stun gun." I see where the confusion comes from if you've never checked out the equipment though. Reading is great but sometimes to really understand things it helps to get up close.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:46 am

How many vicious cows have you eliminated, 2dimes?
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:04 pm

BMO
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby 2dimes on Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:05 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:How many vicious cows have you eliminated, 2dimes?

You spell delicious funny.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby macbone on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:03 am

I saw this one today and grinned.

Dumbing of Age by David Willis:

Colonel macbone

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:27 am

@2dimes So is the thing about 30% of them bleeding to death accurate?

Anyway
Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby 2dimes on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:35 am

Haggis_McMutton linked,
Click image to enlarge.

Epic, no wait horrible, no wait ep... It's funny because it's so bad.

Haggis_McMutton wrote:@2dimes So is the thing about 30% of them bleeding to death accurate?

Anyway

In the most common process used for cattle very nearly 100% bleed to death.

That is intentional for two reasons. Many Vets, doctors and animal rights people claim that is the most painless way to kill them. The cows didn't tell me. There are sometimes diseases in the blood that do not affect the meat because after they stun it with the spike it is hung by a chain from a back leg alive but essentially brain dead. The next guy slits it's throat, carotid arteries (google) and the jugulars, the blood is almost entirely pumped out of the body by the cow in less than two minutes.

Someone I was talking with once said Pigs know what is going on and flip out. Cows just kind of move up the ramp for the most part and get surprised at the end.

Having said all that.. It was still a good comic.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:16 am

Number 2-

Joke
-----------------
My head

-TG
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:45 am

@2dimes: That's interesting.
I guess the main point of the comic was the "writhing in pain" thing. So are any of them "writhing in pain" or does the stun gun = brain dead thing always work and they're pretty much just hanging there till they bleed out?

@TG: I think you're overthinking it. The joke is just that he was going to write some impressive bit of math but got totally nerd-sniped by the simple but somehow surprisingly odd fact that 10^2+11^2+12^2 = 365 = 13^2 + 14^2

Also:
Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby macbone on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:04 am

The "relative sizes" part was cool, but I'm not smart enough to get the math jokes.

I don't get this xkcd one, either:

Meanwhile, Time goes on at xkcd:

Colonel macbone

Postby ender516 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:47 am

I had forgotten about that slowly evolving picture at xkcd. I should go review the story so far...

Postby 2dimes on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:52 pm

Haggis_McMutton wrote:@2dimes: That's interesting.
I guess the main point of the comic was the "writhing in pain" thing. So are any of them "writhing in pain" or does the stun gun = brain dead thing always work and they're pretty much just hanging there till they bleed out?

I just re-read it and noticed we somehow took a wrong turn at the 30% also.

Again the cows can't tell us how they feel but the spike goes right through the brain. I have discussed it with people, "Wonder if it ever misses the part of the brain is is supposed to hit? Does it really stun them?.." etc. Most of the cattle go limp once they're stunned, their eyes change and they're quiet. Others seem to continue to stare, some let out air from their lungs but it's mostly a huff not vocal a sound.

Sometimes they're going so fast that there can be a problem. I have never seen it but heard some stories about the guy missing or not managing to get the stun gun to the cow. Either it's hanging by one back leg or gets away from the chain and is loose on that part of the floor. If it's hanging they will try to slit it's throat but the knife is kept as sharp as possible to make the cut both easier and less painfull. If a two thousand pound animal is thrashing while hanging from one leg you can't just run over to it with the knife safely.

They typically process up to 1000+ animals per 10 hour shift with no out of the ordinary issues, so the 30% if that's what they are talking about is way high. I don't know if someone has proposed some data on a theory that 30% of them are not actually stunned by the spike.

One very strange thing is that between when the spike hits them and they are a fully processed side of beef, (half a hanging cow with no organs, head, hooves, etc.) is twenty minutes. The muscles are still twitching while it hangs there, moving along the line towards the chiller.

Here's a youtube link, you have to sign in with your age to watch it so I suspect it's intact. Debate follows in the comments.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaWajdBEuy8
Corporal 2dimes

Postby 2dimes on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:05 pm

macbone wrote:The "relative sizes" part was cool, but I'm not smart enough to get the math jokes.

I don't get this xkcd one, either:

I think this is similar to the main problem I have with pure math.

The f and g are representing something in the formula. Possible examples I'll make up here are Force and Gravity. That's cool to me because it's things that exist.

If it's pure math though they are just letters and since (x) is where you put the number you could just swap them out with the other arbitrary letters representing an unknown variable. I can't keep up with why sometimes and then I get lost in the formula and miss a step and next thing I have a smaller letter grouping but mine is missing a part so then it's wrong but I can't figure out why and finally, (RAGE!).
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Army of GOD on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:02 pm

It's a sort of technique that helps you integrate otherwise difficult functions. What it's saying, and I totally agree with it, is that integration by parts is fucking confusing.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:05 pm

ender is also my authorized representative in this thread, with the proviso that I do not understand nor do I read the math-related comics.

Just wait... I'll find some nerdy law-related or tax-related comics and you guys will be all like "What? Dude... I don't even..."
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby 2dimes on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:09 pm

I should do the right thing and assign enders to represent me. I've ruined an entire page almost.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby crispybits on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:21 pm

I was wondering where all the cow stuff came from - didn't Serbia start a thread more appropriate for that stuff? :-P
Major crispybits

Postby ender516 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:29 pm

Hey, guys, don't leave me to carry this alone!

Geek link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integration_by_parts

Observation: Army of God nailed it.

Postby rdsrds2120 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:54 pm

thegreekdog wrote:ender is also my authorized representative in this thread, with the proviso that I do not understand nor do I read the math-related comics.

Just wait... I'll find some nerdy law-related or tax-related comics and you guys will be all like "What? Dude... I don't even..."

Like this one?

Actually, that one's pretty clear.

BMO
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:59 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:ender is also my authorized representative in this thread, with the proviso that I do not understand nor do I read the math-related comics.

Like this one?

Actually, that one's pretty clear.

BMO

I found some. Unfortunately, not only would non-lawyers not find them funny, I also don't them funny.

http://www.lawcomix.com/
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,