Conquer Club

The Conquer 500

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Conquer 500 [D GR GP XML Beta]

Postby dolomite13 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:35 pm

Gilligan wrote:I know. 8-)
And modest =D>
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby jmcm on Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:33 am

Question
(and I hope this hasn't already been asked - i just came in at the end trying to understand the pit equip bonus and why it seemed different than said)

For the pit equip bonus, do you have to have one of each in the same row or just any one of each?
eg, must you have fuel A, tires A, engine A? or can you have fuel A, tires B, engine C?

thanks! fun map
Colonel jmcm

Postby dolomite13 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:55 am

jmcm wrote:Question
(and I hope this hasn't already been asked - i just came in at the end trying to understand the pit equip bonus and why it seemed different than said)

For the pit equip bonus, do you have to have one of each in the same row or just any one of each?
eg, must you have fuel A, tires A, engine A? or can you have fuel A, tires B, engine C?

thanks! fun map

It should be "fuel A, tires B, engine C" or any combo like that ... one from each type ... currently its bugged and giving +3 for holding a single fuel or single tires or single engine ... this will soon be updated.

=D=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby scottp on Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:36 pm

hate to be a downer, but I tried this map with a few friends, and it seems like a really bad "if you go first, you win" map. Too easy to load up a ton of bonuses in round 1 (cars) and if the neutral 2s on fuel/tires/engine pit equipment put up any kind of a fight, Player 2 has very little chance to erase them, much less grab any bonus for himself.

my .02
Account sitters = MagnusGreeol, concrete, RKCVED
Major scottp

Postby dolomite13 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:36 am

scottp wrote:hate to be a downer, but I tried this map with a few friends, and it seems like a really bad "if you go first, you win" map. Too easy to load up a ton of bonuses in round 1 (cars) and if the neutral 2s on fuel/tires/engine pit equipment put up any kind of a fight, Player 2 has very little chance to erase them, much less grab any bonus for himself. my .02

Pit equipment bonuses are bugged and there are some tweaks to the map coming that will address those issues.

The only thing that still concerns me a bit is the neutrals on "pit row" and "winners circle" I almost feel that pit row is too high and winners too low but won't make any decision on that till we see how the changes we have in the pipeline work out.

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby thehippo8 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:43 am

I'm still concerned about dead ends
ImageImageImage
show
Corporal 1st Class thehippo8

Postby Gilligan on Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:56 am

thehippo8 wrote:I'm still concerned about dead ends

Still waiting for the update...
Captain Gilligan

Postby dolomite13 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:38 pm

Gilligan wrote:
thehippo8 wrote:I'm still concerned about dead ends

Still waiting for the update...

I am too a little ... but I really want to see how the dynamics change when you get no bonus for equipment unless you have the set. I pretty much think that the track will become the focus and the pit equipment wont become a pile of forces that are trapped persay.

However the amount getting stuck on pit equipment is concerning ... and we may still need to do something with conditional borders that lets you attack the pit row from pit equipment when you control all 3 of one type of equipment ... that would open it up a bit but only really be useful for escalating type games when it could help you get back in the race.

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby The Voice on Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:12 pm

Food for thought: On the subject of the name, "Conquer 500" might be better than "The Conquer 500" because it will then be ordered in the C's. I wish I had been present to recommend this with The Citadel. Or maybe I should lobby for any map with The at the beginning of the title will be ordered by the 2nd word in suggestions.
Major The Voice

Postby ender516 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:40 am

I would support that suggestion. Rarely does an index allow articles like "the", "a", or "an" affect the order of entries.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:35 pm

I agree, however I would still like it to appear on the map if that wouldn't be too confusing to anyone... but it's cool with me if its just "Conquer 500" for the index drop down.
Cook dolomite13

Postby Buffaloed on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:35 pm

Am in the middle of an 8 person standard game, chained, fog, trench. General consensus is that none of us will ever play this map again. I'm stuck with 3 regions - all on my car. Lost my Hat a couple of turns ago and as a result, I can't attack anybody - so I've reached a dead end. I'm waiting to die. I get 8 troops each turn, -1 in each territory so I'm building stacks I can't use. There are three of us in the Chat asking to be killed. Kind of sad really. That may be our own fault - it's no spoils, so there is no motivation to take us out of our misery, but I just can't get past the idea that I have troops and cannot attack.

This is map is overly complex & confusing. Maybe it's great for some people, but unless you simplify the rules it won't get much repeat play.

And keep in mind none of us that are playing it are newbies. . . . .

Cool idea, and a great looking map, just not playable. IMHO of course.
Lieutenant Buffaloed

Location: Way down, on the lone prairie, where the coyotes howl, and the wind blows free. . .

Postby Gilligan on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:12 pm

Buffaloed wrote:Am in the middle of an 8 person standard game, chained, fog, trench. General consensus is that none of us will ever play this map again. I'm stuck with 3 regions - all on my car. Lost my Hat a couple of turns ago and as a result, I can't attack anybody - so I've reached a dead end. I'm waiting to die. I get 8 troops each turn, -1 in each territory so I'm building stacks I can't use. There are three of us in the Chat asking to be killed. Kind of sad really. That may be our own fault - it's no spoils, so there is no motivation to take us out of our misery, but I just can't get past the idea that I have troops and cannot attack.

This is map is overly complex & confusing. Maybe it's great for some people, but unless you simplify the rules it won't get much repeat play.

A few things will be updated when the new XML is sent live, and hopefully can fix some of these problems. But remember: Not every map is playable with every setting. Trench might not be the greatest setting with this map, and with no spoils that might make it even tougher.
Captain Gilligan

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:08 pm

Gilligan wrote:
Buffaloed wrote:Am in the middle of an 8 person standard game, chained, fog, trench. General consensus is that none of us will ever play this map again. I'm stuck with 3 regions - all on my car. Lost my Hat a couple of turns ago and as a result, I can't attack anybody - so I've reached a dead end. I'm waiting to die. I get 8 troops each turn, -1 in each territory so I'm building stacks I can't use. There are three of us in the Chat asking to be killed. Kind of sad really. That may be our own fault - it's no spoils, so there is no motivation to take us out of our misery, but I just can't get past the idea that I have troops and cannot attack.

A few things will be updated when the new XML is sent live, and hopefully can fix some of these problems. But remember: Not every map is playable with every setting. Trench might not be the greatest setting with this map, and with no spoils that might make it even tougher.

I agree with Gilligan...

Although we may need another change to allow people to get the armies out of the pit equipment for the same reason we are changing the car gauges to assault your pit crew ... I wonder if all pit equipment should be able to assault pit row ... sort of makes sense and would give a way out although not back to you crew for armies stuck there.

This is a very complex map and may not see a lot pf repeat play on certain settings ... I find I am personally hating nukes ... also not a big fan of no spoils thus far.

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby Buffaloed on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:52 am

Ahhhh. Thank you obi-wan, this padawan learner is grateful for the guidance. ;)

I can appreciate that our experience would be substantially different if we lifted the fog. Trench is always challenging, but might be OK on this map. I don't think no spoils is an issue, and there are lots of opportunities to get spoils, and part of the fun could be figuring them out.

I think what prompted my email was the fact that I'm stuck in a place where I can't attack, and that seems to be a bug. I won't turn this in to a conversation about adding a "surrender" or "suicide" button, but it's pretty frustrating to be building stacks and not be able to use them. It will be interesting to see how many turns it takes for the winner to become strong enough to take out the stragglers - there are several of us in the same position.

As I said in my previous post, it's a cool map - just not my cup of tea. I'm sure there will be plenty of players that love it. We do, after all, tend to gravitate towards our favorites.
Lieutenant Buffaloed

Location: Way down, on the lone prairie, where the coyotes howl, and the wind blows free. . .

Postby thehippo8 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:28 pm

In the Trench Warfare map there is a central region which is special. If you play it in trench mode then you can scoot over the middle zone to the other side. I wonder if something like that could work for the racetrack (obviously without the decay)?

Click image to enlarge.
ImageImageImage
show
Corporal 1st Class thehippo8

Postby Gilligan on Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:36 pm

thehippo8 wrote:In the Trench Warfare map there is a central region which is special. If you play it in trench mode then you can scoot over the middle zone to the other side. I wonder if something like that could work for the racetrack (obviously without the decay)?

Click image to enlarge.

Nope. Trench is trench and you can only attack again if it's a killer.
Captain Gilligan

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:28 pm

Files have been sent!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:10 pm

isaiah40 wrote:Files have been sent!

Excellent ... I am only still a bit concerned about the troops getting trapped on pit equipment and how the bonus changes will affect "No Spoils" games. I think the changes in the current xml will fix alot of the other issues and criticisms.

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby Gilligan on Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:13 pm

Baby steps. :D
Captain Gilligan

Postby Woltato on Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:05 pm

Great Map. I'm liking this one. Bit complicated to get the hang of at first but really good now I've just about figured it.
Sergeant Woltato

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:38 pm

Woltato wrote:Great Map. I'm liking this one. Bit complicated to get the hang of at first but really good now I've just about figured it.
I hope the changes we have coming make it even better =)
Cook dolomite13

Postby agentcom on Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:22 pm

I think there is a problem with the bonus titled: "A Pit Tool and A Pit Jack and A Pit Engine (3)" I believe that this is meant to refer to owning a pink diamond, circle and star (corresponding to fuel tires, engine respectively). However my opponent is being given that bonus despite only owning two of the three.

Game 12676962

Click image to enlarge.

Key - Yellow is standard bonus
Blue is correctly awarded bonuses
Red is the wrongly awarded bonus
Last edited by agentcom on Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brigadier agentcom

Postby waauw on Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:23 pm

agentcom wrote:I think there is a problem with the bonus titled: "A Pit Tool and A Pit Jack and A Pit Engine (3)" I believe that this is meant to refer to owning a pink diamond, circle and star (corresponding to fuel tires, engine respectively). However my opponent is being given that bonus despite only owning two of the three.

Game 12676962

Key - Yellow is standard bonus
Blue is correctly awarded bonuses
Red is the wrongly awarded bonus

yah it's a bug
Lieutenant waauw

Postby ender516 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:39 pm

I'm not sure when the revised XML dealing with this bug will go live, but it should be soon.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas