Conquer Club

the longest thread, thread - Occasionally NSFW

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: the longest thread, thread - Occasionally NSFW

Postby jonesthecurl on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:14 am

That banana looks a bit chewie.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:14 am

**Munches on a banana**

Hm, mid week. And no rain in sight.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Quirk on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:57 am

jonesthecurl wrote:That banana looks a bit sacred.

Be not dismayed. I was called to post that pic.
Image Image

"Zungguzungguguzungguzeng"
-Yellowman
pancakemix wrote:Quirk, you are a bastard. That is all.
Major Quirk

Postby 2dimes on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:24 pm

strike wolf wrote:
A workable scale how about:

---------------------------------------------1--4------
--------------------------------------1--4------------
----------------------------1--3--4-------------------
--------------------1---3------------------------------
---------1--2--3--------------------------------------
-1--4--------------------------------------------------

Or is that too devilish? I could always remove the 2 and one of those 4s.

I played it. I'm trying to decide where the highest four notes should be since I used my bass. Not sure how develish it is.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:36 pm

I've revised the scale to be more devilish

---------------------------------------------1!--4!------
--------------------------------------90Ā°--45Ā°------------
----------------------------Ļ€--2Ļ€r--4-------------------
--------------------ā™Ŗ---ā™«------------------------------
---------1--āˆš2--3--------------------------------------
-ā…“--ā…--------------------------------------------------

**Munches on a banana**

--Andy

Postby strike wolf on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:01 pm

2dimes wrote:
strike wolf wrote:
A workable scale how about:

---------------------------------------------1--4------
--------------------------------------1--4------------
----------------------------1--3--4-------------------

Or is that too devilish? I could always remove the 2 and one of those 4s.

I played it. I'm trying to decide where the highest four notes should be since I used my bass. Not sure how develish it is.

Likewise im not sure how it would look in Bass. Thats the Blues Pentatonic scale (fun fact not technically a pentatonic scale) in two octaves. The difference between the blues pentatonic and the block pentatonic are the added "devil note"
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby 2dimes on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:34 pm

If I'm not completely off here, as written it should be this on bass. 5 is your next open string so 1 on that string would be 6...

----------------------------1--3--4--6--9--11--14---

Those notes, are F G# A# B C D# F G# A# B C# E F# A.

Provided the high strings on them regular guitars are tuned to C and F. Close?

Since that isn't two Octaves of that scale it could be.

----------------------------1--3--4--5--8--10--13---
Corporal 2dimes

Postby 2dimes on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:55 pm

Ok, because I was completely off and standard tuning for a six string is
E A D G B E, The fingering as you wrote it will be this because the first fret will be a half step higher than I thought.

----------------------------1--3--4--5--8--10--13---

Just another reason six strings don't make sense to me.
At least my ears knew what was supposed to be going on there.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:44 pm

Three Years of the Sun in Three Minutes -- NASA Video

**Munches on a molten banana**

--Andy

Postby strike wolf on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:54 pm

I am not sure of all reasons for it but i believe it is to cover the full octaves. Low E to high e. I should probably look into that. It actually falls into the same pattern as the 5 string bass. B-E-A-D-G
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Cadet strike wolf

Postby strike wolf on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:02 pm

From low string down i believe the notes are F G# A# B C D# F G# A# B C D# F G#

Also yes it didnt take me long to realize that if something diesnt sound right to my ear that im probably not playing it right.

Cadet strike wolf

Postby 2dimes on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:51 am

strike wolf wrote:I am not sure of all reasons for it but i believe it is to cover the full octaves. Low E to high e. I should probably look into that. It actually falls into the same pattern as the 5 string bass. B-E-A-D-G

But you won't have a low B on a six string. The fifth fret on low B is E the next string down.

This is why I presumed but suspected the possibility I could be wrong that the two higher missing strings would be. C the note of the fifth fret of a string tuned to G open and an F the note on the fifth fret of a string tuned to C open.

Instead, and I'll ask my bud the theory guy why if I remember, in standard tuning they are tuned a half step low.

Did you check into that musician's social group? I don't know why but it ran out of energy, the never formed.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby strike wolf on Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:51 am

I see your point. As I said I'm not really fully sure why they have it that way beyond what I already said and it does appear inconsistant.

6th string (Low E)
1. F
2. F#
3. G
4. G#
5. A (next string)

5th string (A)
1. A#
2. B
3. C
4. C#
5. D (same as next string)

4th string:

1. D#
2. E
3. F
4. F#
5. G (Next string)

3rd

1. G#
2. A
3. A#
4. B (next string)

2nd

1. C
2. C#
3. D
4. D#
5. E (Next string)

That one string breaks the pattern.

As for the musician's group. When was this? I don't really pay much attention to the clan/user group forum. I was in a classic rock group but that was more the songs and bands than playing instruments.

Cadet strike wolf

Postby 2dimes on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:31 am

I like the way the bass is tuned because I play notes instead of chords. So as I move through any scale I know where to go for the next note I want and only have to stretch one fret up or down ever to get the next half step (fret position). It's super simple to change keys also because with the right fingering (using no open string notes) I just move whatever pattern makes the song and I'm golden.

I suspect the six string guitar is tuned so it's easier to make common chords on the high strings. I know making chords on the bass can be a real pain.

strike wolf wrote:As for the musician's group. When was this? I don't really pay much attention to the clan/user group forum. I was in a classic rock group but that was more the songs and bands than playing instruments.

I can't find it maybe they had the thread removed because whom ever was thinking of starting it changed their mind. They were debating a leader.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:05 pm

2dimes wrote:I like the way the bass is tuned because I play notes instead of chords. So as I move through any scale I know where to go for the next note I want and only have to stretch one fret up or down ever to get the next half step (fret position). It's super simple to change keys also because with the right fingering (using no open string notes) I just move whatever pattern makes the song and I'm golden.

You can do the same for 6 string. It's just a matter of a different pattern. It's easier to go up the two or three steps on the same string and then move down a fret and over one or two.

-TG
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby strike wolf on Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:22 pm

Honestly adnt considered that. D woulfd just look like A minor moved down one string higher for each finger. not difficult. G would be 320022 or 320002 depending on the variation you prefer. That first version might be a bit tricky but not impossible. But other chords particularly C, A E and barre chords would become tricky. Youd have to completely refinger the C A and E chords for the bottom two strings and i dont even want to try to figure out how you would ned to rearange various barre chords.

Cadet strike wolf

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:34 pm

I was just saying that if you're playing notes or even arpeggios you just have a different pattern to follow (regarding to 2dimes style to play notes rather than chords). You shouldn't have to change anything. Each string is tuned 4th-4th-4th-3rd-4th, so moving up and down on whatever scale you want is just sorta a staggered step pattern, depending on what scale you're in. Barre chords don't have to change at all. In fact, your barre chords would probably change drastically if you try and mess with weird tunings.

-TG

Postby strike wolf on Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:44 pm

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:I was just saying that if you're playing notes or even arpeggios you just have a different pattern to follow (regarding to 2dimes style to play notes rather than chords). You shouldn't have to change anything. Each string is tuned 4th-4th-4th-3rd-4th, so moving up and down on whatever scale you want is just sorta a staggered step pattern, depending on what scale you're in. Barre chords don't have to change at all. In fact, your barre chords would probably change drastically if you try and mess with weird tunings.

-TG

Yes i was referring to tuning the bottom strings C and f rather han B E. Nothing to do with scales. Scales are your friends.

Cadet strike wolf

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:55 pm

I suspect we were talking past each other. Yes, if you tuned to "bottom" two to C and F you would totally mess up most of your chord patterns.

-TG

Postby 2dimes on Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:58 pm

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:You can do the same for 6 string. It's just a matter of a different pattern. It's easier to go up the two or three steps on the same string and then move down a fret and over one or two.

-TG

Do you play alternate tunings? One I noticed when I was looking it up was where you tune to a chord with open strings so you can play with a slide. This is common on the steel guitar used in Hawaiian music.

The last band I was trying to be in had a song in an alternate tuning. http://www.bandmix.ca/403/ They said it was the tuning that Jimi Hendrix used. Only problem was we never ended up playing it because they would have had to re-tune. I think they canned me for sucking but they did tell me a long story about the lead guitarist quitting to make me feel ok about it. Or I'm being paranoid and

Nice guys, I really like their material.
Corporal 2dimes

Re:

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:05 pm

2dimes wrote:
TA1LGUNN3R wrote:You can do the same for 6 string. It's just a matter of a different pattern. It's easier to go up the two or three steps on the same string and then move down a fret and over one or two.

-TG

Do you play alternate tunings? One I noticed when I was looking it up was where you tune to a chord with open strings so you can play with a slide. This is common on the steel guitar used in Hawaiian music.

The last band I was trying to be in had a song in an alternate tuning. http://www.bandmix.ca/403/ They said it was the tuning that Jimi Hendrix used. Only problem was we never ended up playing it because they would have had to re-tune. I think they canned me for sucking but they did tell me a long story about the lead guitarist quitting to make me feel ok about it. Or I'm being paranoid and

Nice guys, I really like their material.

I'll fiddle with 'em but don't really use them much. Yeah there's all sorts of tunings you can use for slide guitar (I'm a big fan of slide guitar-- check out Elmore James if you like old blues). I've always wanted to get my hands on a Dobro to try slide guitar but I've never found one locally.

-TG

Postby strike wolf on Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:12 pm

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:I suspect we were talking past each other. Yes, if you tuned to "bottom" two to C and F you would totally mess up most of your chord patterns.

-TG

Not to mention how easily those bottom two strings break and maybe even long term strain on the neck though that is more the bass strings that can mess up the neck.

Important thing to remember about scales is which goes with what. When you might want to use Minor or Major and making sure to pick a song that goes with the key t is in like C major scale if in key o C major. Or an A minor scale if the key is Am...which is the relative minor of C. In that matter it is important to know the half step fret intervals for each string. Also particularlt for rhythm players which chord goes with which key. Such as if you are playing in key of C you might want to use D minor variants rather than D major variants or G major variants rather than G minor Variants.

Ive experimented a bit with alt tuning but constantly retuning can reek havoc ob your strings. In have an electric and accoustic and i generally keep the accoustic in standard and the electric in open D, partly if i want to play Allman Brothers (they actually play open E usually but it is easy to capo) thats a good tuning. I have also tuned it to Open g before. Romeo and Juliet (CAPO 3RD) aby Dire Straits and Wild Horses by the Rolling Sones both have guitara in that tuning.

Overall though, different tunings are a hassle both memorizing new chord positions and notes.

Cadet strike wolf

Postby 2dimes on Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:13 pm

Maybe, I was kind of into Sammy Hagar's first post VanHalen CD. I don't know who the guy was that played on it but he was a hot Dobro player. I'll look him up.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby strike wolf on Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:18 pm

Heh if i had room/money for all the guitars i want. First of all i want 3 acoustics. One for open D, one for open G, and one for standard tuning. Two electrics. The one i play and one for show. Ialways have liked the burnt and/or tiger maple look on Electrics. A dobro. A twelve string. An 8 string and a double neck electric.

Cadet strike wolf

Postby 2dimes on Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:28 pm

The guy was Roy Rogers appearently. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marching_To_Mars

Little White Lies also has Slash on it. That guy... ~nods~ know what I mean?
Corporal 2dimes

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,