Conquer Club

Travian vs Conquer Club

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Travian vs Conquer Club

Postby greenoaks on Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:36 am

http://www.travian.com/

i've been doing some browsing and stumbled across this game site. what a beautiful page to entice newcomers.

i really like the 'Learn more about Travian' in the centre. we could easily adapt that to show off cool things about CC. above that is a 'Become a part of the Community' - a brilliant thing to emphasise. the Latest Gameworld could become Latest Map. plus some great graphics and layout.

CC looks quite drab by comparison.

are there any other site's introduction page we could learn from?
Sergeant greenoaks

Re: Travian vs Conquer Club

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:59 pm

Notes: Mention that registration is free and make it a clearly visible button instead of ~meh form. Also, more than 3 colors.

BMO
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby kentington on Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:26 pm

Maybe there are a couple of Graphics Design people among the fora and they can present a mock up of something? I think this would be effective.
Bruceswar ยป Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:59 pm wrote:We all had tons of men..
Sergeant kentington

Postby Symmetry on Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:26 pm

To be fair, the intro page for Travian looks good because it's kind of a con.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby kentington on Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:52 pm

True a lot of those sites are based that way. However, the point remains that it entices a lot of people.

I personally could care less about the appearance. It is more about content for me. If you get these kinds of looks you will have a lot more people, but the quality may be questionable.
Sergeant kentington

Postby Symmetry on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:02 am

I think their advertising entices, but, yeah, fair comment.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby greenoaks on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:16 am

kentington wrote:True a lot of those sites are based that way. However, the point remains that it entices a lot of people.

I personally could care less about the appearance. It is more about content for me. If you get these kinds of looks you will have a lot more people, but the quality may be questionable.

Travian has 68,000 members, over 5,000 online right now. we have under 14,000 members and 362 online right now.

if a revamp of the front page entices more people to take a look inside, i'm all for it.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby waauw on Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:43 am

have any of you ever played travian?
an aspect to keep in mind is that travian has a public that exists mostly out of kids and is therefor a lot more colourful and full of animations. Conquer club has a player base who is more mature than travian and a design a bit more sober is thus allowed.

That being said, I do think it might be a great idea to have the CC homepage become more attractive.
I would suggest something more of the like the following game:
http://www.hattrick.org/StartPage.aspx

This looks less childish than travian but still more decorated than CC.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby greenoaks on Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:50 am

waauw wrote:have any of you ever played travian?
an aspect to keep in mind is that travian has a public that exists mostly out of kids and is therefor a lot more colourful and full of animations. Conquer club has a player base who is more mature than travian and a design a bit more sober is thus allowed.

That being said, I do think it might be a great idea to have the CC homepage become more attractive.
I would suggest something more of the like the following game:
http://www.hattrick.org/StartPage.aspx

This looks less childish than travian but still more decorated than CC.

i like the 2 buttons on the left. "Available on the Apps Store" & "Get it on Google play"

With our official Hattrick Conquer Club iPhone app, you can manage your team take your turns anywhere!
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby AAFitz on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:09 am

If I personally saw that first page I would instantly not consider playing it, assuming it was for children, aimed at children, or adults that were still children.
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.
Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz

Postby Symmetry on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:14 pm

I played it once, never again. You have no chance of winning unless you pay, or the side you ally with pays.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:37 pm

kentington wrote:Maybe there are a couple of Graphics Design people among the fora and they can present a mock up of something? I think this would be effective.

Home Page Revamp Contest!

Fee fie foe fum! I smell the blood of a GC Medal!
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby ManBungalow on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:53 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Section #2 should be a live feed of games New Recruits can join, and redirect players to a registration page ("you must register first"). Existing members might also use it.

Section #3 is just an image to replace the .gif image we have at the moment. You know...the one which looks like it was made in the 1800's:

I suppose even my static image for section #3 could be animated (like 3 or 4 frames, with enough time to properly look at each one) to show off some other gameplay stuff.

EDIT:
Seems I missed a line of text when I cropped the registration box for section #1 :
"will be banned from Conquer Club"
Oops.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby iAmCaffeine on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:54 pm

I'd say that's no better, if not worse, than the current homepage. No offence. If there was an actual competition that would certainly give incentive to put something together. ;)
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby greenoaks on Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:48 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
kentington wrote:Maybe there are a couple of Graphics Design people among the fora and they can present a mock up of something? I think this would be effective.

i've already pm'd rds about it. he said no. :cry:
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:54 pm

greenoaks wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

i've already pm'd rds about it. he said no. :cry:

Ahem, but with reason :).

The whole sight needs to be reworked aesthetically. This goes beyond graphics and includes updating our code framework, etc to support more options for web design. While I'm certainly open to ideas, a competition might not generate exactly what we're looking for, and we'd certainly hate to review all of our options and have to turn them all down after everyone's put so much effort in!

However,

If you have mockup screenshots and suggestions that you believe could help the design process or give us ideas to make the site more efficient, I am certainly open-minded! In this sense, if your idea is truly unique and becomes implemented, a GC medal/premium isn't out of the question at all ;)

BMO
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby JBlombier on Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:00 pm

Haven't read the thread, but have played one game of Travian. Won the endgame, totally not because of me by the way, but it just took too much time. CC is great because of its slow-pace-mechanism.

I'll never join Travian again, too much time wasted on it. If you didn't, you wouldn't become a good player. On CC that's different and that precisely the sort of game I like.
Colonel JBlombier

Postby kentington on Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:02 pm

I wasn't really supposed to be showing this. Everyone will be upset that I posted this but...

Something like this to celebrate Treasure Hunting Maps. THM should be the latest most innovative map style yet. No one knows about it yet except me. There is even treasure involved. Also, there will be more changes to this mock up. A pirate ship for instance, can you believe that? Everyone loves pirates and it will entice a lot of people.
show
Sergeant kentington

Postby TheForgivenOne on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:08 pm

kentington wrote:I wasn't really supposed to be showing this. Everyone will be upset that I posted this but...

Something like this to celebrate Treasure Hunting Maps. THM should be the latest most innovative map style yet. No one knows about it yet except me. There is even treasure involved. Also, there will be more changes to this mock up. A pirate ship for instance, can you believe that? Everyone loves pirates and it will entice a lot of people.
show

That is a sexy map... um, picture... errr, thingy you got there.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Return to Conquer Club Discussion