Conquer Club

[EoA] [Rules] Limit Signature Image File Size!

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Limit Signature Image File Size!

Postby Night Strike on Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:50 pm

El_Jefe wrote:Do we have consensus? How about 100kb limit on signature images?

That seems way too small. My signature is relatively simple and it's still 225kb.
Major Night Strike

Postby Metsfanmax on Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:41 pm

Night Strike wrote:

That seems way too small. My signature is relatively simple and it's still 225kb.

One possible solution is that the file size should be determined by your desired dimensions. Create a typical JPEG of the maximum size you want (say, 600 x 400) and see what size it is. Not ideal, but it's a start.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby BGtheBrain on Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:42 pm

Last edited by BGtheBrain on Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain BGtheBrain

Postby EBConquer on Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:48 pm

i agree. 100k is WAY too small. if we were to pose a limit like that i'd say 300k. that way we can have an alpha channel (png) to blend w/ any colored background and make it look a touch more sexy.

personally, i don't care about the k weight as my internet connection is dynamite. also, when you see somebody's sig... it's already in your cache so no worries anymore if you see it again because it's already loaded.

if you guys want to get nasty, how about this: word of mouth saying "hey, you can't go over 300k" but limit it to the forums.

that way, when somebody visits your wall, and you want a cool video sig, people can see it. but the tricky 'you have to know' part would be a button you can click when you post in the forum to say "do not attach signature" vs. vice versa as it is now.

that way people that aren't paying attention will get warned to pay attention more in the future.

limiting sigs as a whole i feel is sort of ridiculous, especially w/ all the jabber-jaw freemiums who add nothing to the game-side of the site besides really good chatter.... you know who you are. :mrgreen:

also, you guys know that these video sigs aren't 'hosted' on CC but on other sites. therefore, CC is no slower than it always was. the exception being for those who haven't run across a video sig that they haven't seen before. (unless they delete their cache of course.)

EDIT:
many typos. :lol:

that's my 1 cent.
Colonel EBConquer

Postby greenoaks on Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:57 pm

do not limit sigs because some freeloaders have a problem with load time.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Maugena on Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:56 pm

300kB sounds reasonable.
Renewed yet infused with apathy.
Let's just have a good time, all right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjQii_BboIk
New Recruit Maugena

Postby EBConquer on Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:12 pm

Thanks and yes, 300k is a reasonable limit w/ sanctions to the forums only as i said in my previous post.

i think a blanket limit wouldn't be the best move here.

baby steps. it's the forums we're concerned about here right? most of the paying people w/ a +300k sig hardly even visit the forums so let's keep them out of this.
Colonel EBConquer

Postby greenoaks on Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:31 pm

Maugena wrote:300kB sounds reasonable.

so does paying $25 for membership
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby codierose on Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:38 pm

greenoaks wrote:do not limit sigs because some freeloaders have a problem with load time.

cool
Major codierose

Postby agentcom on Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:39 pm

EBConquer wrote:that way, when somebody visits your wall, and you want a cool video sig, people can see it. but the tricky 'you have to know' part would be a button you can click when you post in the forum to say "do not attach signature" vs. vice versa as it is now.

You already have the option of not attaching sigs. For example, see the lack of sig below.
Colonel agentcom

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:51 pm

First of all let me say that I'm fine also with 300kb as limit, but....

Night Strike wrote:

Your signature can be compressed without any visible loss with some free tools like PNGGauntlet (there are many others, just google it ;))

Your current sig is 255kb:

the compressed version I did in about 20 seconds is 80kb:

Now tell me if you can see the difference ;)
The weak point is that not everyone is aware about these compression tools, so if you want to go with 300kb I'm fine with it! O:)

Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby chapcrap on Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:03 pm

Ok, the real issue is sigs that take up MB, not our small kb signatures. So, you can even go higher than 300, but we don't need sigs this big:

Lieutenant chapcrap

Re: [Rules] Limit Signature Image File Size!

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:12 am

It's really gotten out of hand. My February bandwidth use on my laptop was 910 MB, and 95% of what I use my laptop for is Conquer Club. That's not counting the days when I managed to get home and use my home computer.

Now, I have no idea how much of that is from legitimate graphics like maps, and how much of it is from pointless bullshit on the forums, but definitely something needs to be done.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby spiesr on Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:19 pm

Captain spiesr

Postby rdsrds2120 on Thu May 02, 2013 2:22 pm

So this is what I found:
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... 5#p8460795

which makes me think that there's no good way to enforce this through technical means, so we can adopt a guideline and enforce it via moderation if we think this is a big enough issue (i.e., we'd have to have people flag signatures that were too big). So now, is there a consensus on what the max signature filesize should be?

BMO
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby EBConquer on Thu May 02, 2013 2:38 pm

This is what don't understand: if you don't want to see peoples sigs, can't you just turn that off in the preference panel?

Also, once you've seen a sig, it stays in your cache so it doesn't download it every time you come across it.

Seems to me the easiest way in which to keep everybody happy is just to have those who have the problem with big sigs, turn them off in the pref panel. done. case closed no? or am i missing something?
Colonel EBConquer

Postby rdsrds2120 on Thu May 02, 2013 2:50 pm

EBConquer wrote:This is what don't understand: if you don't want to see peoples sigs, can't you just turn that off in the preference panel?

Also, once you've seen a sig, it stays in your cache so it doesn't download it every time you come across it.

Seems to me the easiest way in which to keep everybody happy is just to have those who have the problem with big sigs, turn them off in the pref panel. done. case closed no? or am i missing something?

This is where I leaned at first, but Conquer Club does a lot of event promotion and tournament advertising, etc. No one should have to turn off their signatures and perhaps miss out on something!

BMO
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby EBConquer on Thu May 02, 2013 3:20 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:This is where I leaned at first, but Conquer Club does a lot of event promotion and tournament advertising, etc. No one should have to turn off their signatures and perhaps miss out on something!

well there ya go! that's what i was missing.

I personally love all the creative video sigs. Not sure what a good cap would be, something around 2-3 megs? figure, 10 seconds of video at 10-12 frames per second, roughly.
Colonel EBConquer

Postby SirSebstar on Sat May 04, 2013 4:22 am

correct me if i am wrong, but even if i disable the view sigs in my settings i think it will still be loaded in the background? effectivly making big sigs a pain in the behind, even if i dont have to look at it
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Postby Woodruff on Sat May 04, 2013 6:54 pm

SirSebstar wrote:correct me if i am wrong, but even if i disable the view sigs in my settings i think it will still be loaded in the background? effectivly making big sigs a pain in the behind, even if i dont have to look at it

If I remember right, way back when we were initially discussing this, that was the consensus, yes. The problem was that it still took a lot of time to load, even if you weren't seeing it.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby agentcom on Sat May 04, 2013 11:09 pm

I think the mods do an effective job of enforcing the pixel size limits. Once we set a rule and educate mods on how to read a file size, then I don't see this as a very big deal. I've dealt with a sig size complaint before and the PM to the user took me 30 seconds to write and the offending sig was down in a couple hours. Sounds like this same practice will be enforced in terms of file size.

However, I think even 2-3 MB might be a little big. I was thinking something more in the 1 MB range. I'm not sure we need videos in sigs as creative as they might be.
Colonel agentcom

Postby chapcrap on Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:23 am

agentcom wrote:I think the mods do an effective job of enforcing the pixel size limits. Once we set a rule and educate mods on how to read a file size, then I don't see this as a very big deal. I've dealt with a sig size complaint before and the PM to the user took me 30 seconds to write and the offending sig was down in a couple hours. Sounds like this same practice will be enforced in terms of file size.

However, I think even 2-3 MB might be a little big. I was thinking something more in the 1 MB range. I'm not sure we need videos in sigs as creative as they might be.

Yeah, according to some, even 1 MB is pretty big for a signature. If you save it in the correct format, it shouldn't take up that much space anyway.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:53 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:
EBConquer wrote:This is what don't understand: if you don't want to see peoples sigs, can't you just turn that off in the preference panel?

This is where I leaned at first, but Conquer Club does a lot of event promotion and tournament advertising, etc. No one should have to turn off their signatures and perhaps miss out on something!

BMO

+1
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Previous

Return to Suggestions