Conquer Club

escalating is just wrong

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

escalating is just wrong

Postby gordon1975 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:55 pm

escalating is a crap game setting,just dont get it!no point in territories..what am i missing here,flat rate or no spoils is just such a better game,is it just to get the game over more quickly?
God can judge my enemies, i will arrange the meeting.
Lieutenant gordon1975

Re: escalating is just wrong

Postby NoSurvivors on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:57 pm

gordon1975 wrote:escalating is a crap game setting,just dont get it!no point in territories..what am i missing here,flat rate or no spoils is just such a better game,is it just to get the game over more quickly?

There is this magical thing called "options".. you can "choose" not to play "escalating spoils" by looking when you create/join games. ;)
Colonel NoSurvivors

Postby gordon1975 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:02 pm

NoSurvivors wrote:
gordon1975 wrote:escalating is a crap game setting,just dont get it!no point in territories..what am i missing here,flat rate or no spoils is just such a better game,is it just to get the game over more quickly?

There is this magical thing called "options".. you can "choose" not to play "escalating spoils" by looking when you create/join games. ;)

witch i choose to do,just asking wits good about it?
Lieutenant gordon1975

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:06 pm

Yeah I don't really like escalating that much either, too much math involved for me to really enjoy it. It's pretty popular though. I think it was invented to make games go faster but it's got it's own brand of strategy as a result.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Bones2484 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:06 pm

It reduces the extreme amount of luck involved in Flat Rate and the boredom of No Spoils.
Major Bones2484

Postby gordon1975 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:07 pm

will we ever get a cc cup flat rate or no spoils do u think?
Lieutenant gordon1975

Postby gordon1975 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:09 pm

Bones2484 wrote:

It reduces the extreme amount of luck involved in Flat Rate and the boredom of No Spoils.

i love the the whole patience thing of no spoils,winning a game that takes a year is the best buzz
Lieutenant gordon1975

Postby betiko on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:15 pm

gordon1975 wrote:
Bones2484 wrote:

i love the the whole patience thing of no spoils,winning a game that takes a year is the best buzz

Great idea for the cc cup. Make games that last for ages each round. My cc cup already lasted like 5 month with escalating 20 round limit.

Escalating is the best. All about preparing your momentum. You need to calculate loads of things. I like any spoil option personally but escalating is probably my favorite.
Major betiko

Postby Bones2484 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:19 pm

gordon1975 wrote:
Bones2484 wrote:

I do love No Spoils, but my problem with it is that the games are generally won in the first 2-3 rounds and then the final 90% of the game is tedious cleanup.

At least with Escalating, you could be down to 1 territory and 1 army, and still win. You can never rest and think you have a game won or lost (especially with teammates).
Major Bones2484

Postby gordon1975 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:25 pm

maybe il get get someone to show me the ropes and give it another shot,or could be to much counting involved for my simple head to comprehend
Lieutenant gordon1975

Postby Armandolas on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:26 pm

Its just a different strategy , instead of going for bonus, u must "read other players mind", trace imaginary routes, defend enemies , know when to strike the final blow, etc,etc...and off course just hope dice dont ruin your unbeatable plan :)

Also , escalating is not CC invention, its part of the original Risk boar game rules
Colonel Armandolas

Postby jsnyder748 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:34 pm

standard escalating games actually take much more skill than standard flat rate or no spoils. Flat rate and no spoils are mindless games that can take forever or be decided by an idiot move. Not that they aren't fun and can't be challenging.

To prove a point people who reach high ranks often play escalating games because if you know how to play them (pretty simple actually) it is way easier to win. Everyone is on even grounds playing flat rate or no spoils, but those who are more skilled in escalating will win more often.

I love the feeling of sweeping the entire board in one round and ending up with 300 troops :D
Colonel jsnyder748

Postby gordon1975 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:47 pm

jsnyder748 wrote:standard escalating games actually take much more skill than standard flat rate or no spoils. Flat rate and no spoils are mindless games that can take forever or be decided by an idiot move. Not that they aren't fun and can't be challenging.

To prove a point people who reach high ranks often play escalating games because if you know how to play them (pretty simple actually) it is way easier to win. Everyone is on even grounds playing flat rate or no spoils, but those who are more skilled in escalating will win more often.

I love the feeling of sweeping the entire board in one round and ending up with 300 troops :D

if somthings way easier to win,why would it take more skill? :)
Lieutenant gordon1975

Postby jsnyder748 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:49 pm

gordon1975 wrote:
jsnyder748 wrote:standard escalating games actually take much more skill than standard flat rate or no spoils. Flat rate and no spoils are mindless games that can take forever or be decided by an idiot move. Not that they aren't fun and can't be challenging.

if somthings way easier to win,why would it take more skill? :)

It is easier to win vs people with less skill. In my opinion cooks are as good as anyone if you play flat rate. Obviously they miss turns and play irrationally but the skill required is attack, get bonus, attack others, get bonus. In escalating a cook will go for bonuses for 7 rounds and on round 8 you will sweep the board with cards.
Colonel jsnyder748

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:51 pm

The thing that doesn't really sit well with me with escalating is how little the map seems to come into play. Not that it doesn't enter into it but the little nuances tend to matter less. I like the intimacy and the advantage of knowing every little nook and cranny of a map with no-spoils. I don't play flat rate btw unless it's a clan game or an accident.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby gordon1975 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:00 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:The thing that doesn't really sit well with me with escalating is how little the map seems to come into play. Not that it doesn't enter into it but the little nuances tend to matter less. I like the intimacy and the advantage of knowing every little nook and cranny of a map with no-spoils. I don't play flat rate btw unless it's a clan game or an accident.

exactly! kills the idea of the map
Lieutenant gordon1975

Postby Armandolas on Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:58 pm

It does kill the idea of the map if u play the classic map. But then if u play classic i dont see also the big map strategy about it.

There are plelty maps where an escalating game can be a lot of fun and you really must know what you are doig in the map.
If you add fog to it, than you have a real challenge.

But again, its justa different game from no spoils, Diff strategy. I enjoy both and find flatties extremely boring. its just my opinion and my taste.
Also there is a big problem about escalating games. People that dont really know how to play it , usually are the reason why esc games are shorter.

Also jsnyder pointed soemthing that really satisfying. You start your turn and see...this is my round, im going to wipe this board. You just read every other option, go for it and succeed after an intense 20 minutes glued to the screen, like eating a big desert.
And the you have the moments when u just want to punch your table or even punch yourself,either because you couldnt kill the guy just for 1 troops, or just because you "accidentaly" forgot to kill that blue man hidden just in front of your eyes..llolol

So i think what people really like , is the adrenaline of it
Colonel Armandolas

Postby Crazyirishman on Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:14 pm

I personally think flat rate can be fun and challenging if played under non-team settings. It involves timing out what I call "mini-sweeps" so that you can gain momentum and position that you know you won't lose. If forces you to prepare for a situation in which somebody could get a temporary +10 boost to the deploy that can f*ck up all your plans.
Captain Crazyirishman

Postby vonraider on Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:31 pm

I miss the diplomacy as well as the feeling of hate I can get towards those who have aligned against me when I play escalating games. I confess I get a thrill out of trying to figure out just the right time to break a truce as well. Plus it's great fun for me when I see people making personal attacks on each other in chat. Escalating may or may not demand more skill, I don't know as I am not that good of a player, but it just lacks the people factor that flat and no spoils offer.
Private vonraider

Postby Gabriel13 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:42 pm

Crazyirishman wrote:I personally think flat rate can be fun and challenging if played under non-team settings. It involves timing out what I call "mini-sweeps" so that you can gain momentum and position that you know you won't lose. If forces you to prepare for a situation in which somebody could get a temporary +10 boost to the deploy that can f*ck up all your plans.

Flat rate works really well in the monthly BR's! I kicked ass in the one I'm in from it. I think I've eliminated 20 people o.0
Cook Gabriel13

Postby Begbie on Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:36 pm

Not that it particularly helps the discussion but escalating was the only card option in the original 1959 risk rules. It might be argued that the original is the best ie. original coca cola ingredients way more fun than now.....
'You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows' Robert Zimmerman
Colonel Begbie

Postby ManBungalow on Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:41 pm

Armandolas wrote:Also , escalating is not CC invention, its part of the original Risk boar game rules

For real?

I don't think my Risk set has enough armies to manage even a small escalating game.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby Armandolas on Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:47 pm

ManBungalow wrote:
Armandolas wrote:Also , escalating is not CC invention, its part of the original Risk boar game rules

For real?

I don't think my Risk set has enough armies to manage even a small escalating game.

never noticed?..lolol
When u get out of armies, u just have to write on little papers :)
Colonel Armandolas

Postby pickleofdoom on Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:39 pm

Escalating sets was introduced as the official rules for the original American Risk. Currently the official rules for European Risk is something very close to the flat rate that we have. If u buy a Risk set in the UK, escalating will be mentioned only at the end of the rulebook under optional rules variants.

The very first version of Risk was French. Not sure what the original card settings were for Conquete du Monde. I read somewhere that there were no cards, but not sure how reliable the source is. Does anyone know?
Colonel pickleofdoom

Postby jsnyder748 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:55 pm

pickleofdoom wrote:Escalating sets was introduced as the official rules for the original American Risk. Currently the official rules for European Risk is something very close to the flat rate that we have. If u buy a Risk set in the UK, escalating will be mentioned only at the end of the rulebook under optional rules variants.

The very first version of Risk was French. Not sure what the original card settings were for Conquete du Monde. I read somewhere that there were no cards, but not sure how reliable the source is. Does anyone know?

Ironic that the french invented risk :D

In the American version I think flat rate is mentioned somewhere in the rules but escalating is the preset
Colonel jsnyder748

Next

Return to Conquer Club Discussion