Conquer Club

Conquer Cup V

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Conquer Cup V

Postby greenoaks on Wed May 01, 2013 9:17 am

betiko wrote:i suggest that gilligan and the other guy get automatically qualified for round 3 on the CC6 because they've been screwed big time. so that means that if the format remains the same, there should be 632 participants instead of 640. I wouldn't be very happy if i were them!

that is a great suggestion. plug them into the tournament beyond R1 and less are required to fill it. especially if filling the tournament might be a problem.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby denominator on Wed May 01, 2013 10:28 am

Ouch. I'm glad I'm not one of the two guys getting dropped by this solution, because I would be very upset that I paid $5, followed the rules, won all of the games I had to, then got dropped due to an administrative hiccup.
Lieutenant denominator

Postby rdsrds2120 on Wed May 01, 2013 1:19 pm

betiko wrote:i suggest that gilligan and the other guy get automatically qualified for round 3 on the CC6 because they've been screwed big time. so that means that if the format remains the same, there should be 632 participants instead of 640. I wouldn't be very happy if i were them!

I don't imagine anyone that was about to advance would have been, but I think that this is the most fair solution that is also timely.

BMO
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby Uncle Loser on Thu May 02, 2013 3:36 pm

I'm with you betiko. Raw deal for sure.
Lieutenant Uncle Loser

Postby rdsrds2120 on Thu May 02, 2013 3:44 pm

Uncle Loser wrote:

This whole cup is a mess, and I understand that this whole situation isn't ideal. I agree, it's a bummer for everyone else involved, but I had to pick the least of the evils with this one. Nasty.

BMO

Postby Lindax on Thu May 02, 2013 4:01 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:
Uncle Loser wrote:

This whole cup is a mess, and I understand that this whole situation isn't ideal. I agree, it's a bummer for everyone else involved, but I had to pick the least of the evils with this one. Nasty.

BMO

Another screw-up in a long line of screw-ups since the change of ownership and management. Maybe you guys should sit down and think things through before acting.

Lx
"Winning Solves Everything" - Graeko
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby rdsrds2120 on Thu May 02, 2013 4:08 pm

Lindax wrote:
rdsrds2120 wrote:
Uncle Loser wrote:

BMO

Another screw-up in a long line of screw-ups since the change of ownership and management. Maybe you guys should sit down and think things through before acting.

Lx

That's harder to do with faulty information, but I promise you we're trying! :)

BMO

Postby denominator on Thu May 02, 2013 8:14 pm

In my opinion, this is not the best nor fairest solution.

2 players paid for a chance to win the cup, which has been taken away from them. Furthermore, they actually have won games to advance but never got to.

My suggestion would be that it's more fair to randomly select 3 players that lost in round 1 and add them back in, along with the one person who won round one. The winner advances to round 3 along with the additional player trapped in round 2. Randomly select 2 more people from that round, with the winner advancing. Again, add the trapped player and randomly select 2 players that lost in that round to fill the game. The winner advances to the finals with the 3 that have made it there.

This way, all of the players in the finals will be at the same number of wins. Each one will have earned it. A handful of select players will get a bonus chance, but all players will have at least had the same minimum number of opportunities to win the cup.

It's better to give an extra chance to a few players than to take away the chance from those deserving.
Lieutenant denominator

Postby Stigni on Fri May 03, 2013 9:08 am

I'm just registered on this site. I agree with denominator that is better give an extra chance to somebody, so it is better to have some lucky loser than have any winner.
Sergeant 1st Class Stigni

Postby betiko on Fri May 03, 2013 9:51 am

denominator wrote:In my opinion, this is not the best nor fairest solution.

2 players paid for a chance to win the cup, which has been taken away from them. Furthermore, they actually have won games to advance but never got to.

My suggestion would be that it's more fair to randomly select 3 players that lost in round 1 and add them back in, along with the one person who won round one. The winner advances to round 3 along with the additional player trapped in round 2. Randomly select 2 more people from that round, with the winner advancing. Again, add the trapped player and randomly select 2 players that lost in that round to fill the game. The winner advances to the finals with the 3 that have made it there.

This way, all of the players in the finals will be at the same number of wins. Each one will have earned it. A handful of select players will get a bonus chance, but all players will have at least had the same minimum number of opportunities to win the cup.

It's better to give an extra chance to a few players than to take away the chance from those deserving.

the problem with this is that the cup will take forever to finish, and the finals are already underway. if they are just taged back in the next conquer cup it's way faster and simple.

smegal has to win twice in the finals; if he loses the first one that's bronze; if he wins one it's silver and if he wins both it's gold. he'll have an advantage on the first one though because other players know that at the end of the day if they have no more chances and they let smegal win they have a second final comming up; which would've never happened normally. so if one is clearly leading he can imagine other players will screw him to make smegal win, but that's only speculations..
Major betiko

Postby denominator on Fri May 03, 2013 11:01 am

betiko wrote:
denominator wrote:In my opinion, this is not the best nor fairest solution.

the problem with this is that the cup will take forever to finish, and the finals are already underway. if they are just taged back in the next conquer cup it's way faster and simple.

smegal has to win twice in the finals; if he loses the first one that's bronze; if he wins one it's silver and if he wins both it's gold. he'll have an advantage on the first one though because other players know that at the end of the day if they have no more chances and they let smegal win they have a second final comming up; which would've never happened normally. so if one is clearly leading he can imagine other players will screw him to make smegal win, but that's only speculations..

That's all fine and dandy for smegal, but it is still incredibly unfair for the other two players.
Lieutenant denominator

Postby Swifte on Fri May 03, 2013 11:04 am

Speaking for myself here.... the other two players are getting a free entry into the next cup... all they lose is 1 game won... incredibly unfair seems like a reach to me.... they were still much closer to losing conquer cup V than they were to winning it.
Colonel Swifte

Postby Uncle Loser on Fri May 03, 2013 5:10 pm

Now that the mods have given us time to vent. Lets sit back and see how it unfolds.

Game # 12700072

They're in the third round.
Lieutenant Uncle Loser

Postby denominator on Fri May 03, 2013 9:42 pm

Swifte wrote:Speaking for myself here.... the other two players are getting a free entry into the next cup... all they lose is 1 game won... incredibly unfair seems like a reach to me.... they were still much closer to losing conquer cup V than they were to winning it.

Their odds of winning an iPad went from 1/210 to 1/640. That's unfair.
Lieutenant denominator

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sun May 05, 2013 4:56 pm

denominator wrote:
Swifte wrote:Speaking for myself here.... the other two players are getting a free entry into the next cup... all they lose is 1 game won... incredibly unfair seems like a reach to me.... they were still much closer to losing conquer cup V than they were to winning it.

Their odds of winning an iPad went from 1/210 to 1/640. That's unfair.

But they've incurred no loss (free entry into the next cup). While that isn't the be all end all of reasoning, the other options simply weren't timely enough to consider. One or two final games is all that we could muster, and they may not even be done by the time the next cup starts.

Why does/should one cup have to finish before the next one starts, rd?

That's a reasonable question. The cup software can't handle two cups running simultaneously to my knowledge, so we have to log a winner into this current setup and end it before the next one can begin. While it may be a unfair for those who got shortchanged in Conquer Cup V, that is small compared to making all of the pre-registered entrants to Conquer Cup VI wait even longer!

There wasn't a good/clear way to fix this erred Cup, but given the circumstances, I think the current solution is a nice compromise.

BMO

Postby Flow520 on Mon May 06, 2013 1:05 pm

No round limit on Game 12700072? :?
Major Flow520

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sat May 11, 2013 1:27 pm

Congratulations to Dusty21 for the win of the Conquer Cup V! Thanks everyone for the patience and dealing with the errors -- we made it!

BMO

Postby betiko on Sat May 11, 2013 2:00 pm

the probem was raised 2 month ago, of course if you wait for the whole tournament to be stuck to decide what to do you run out of time. I think the solution would ve ben fine if gilligan and the other guy got an entry to what they obtained by their own play.
Major betiko

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sat May 11, 2013 3:08 pm

betiko wrote:the probem was raised 2 month ago, of course if you wait for the whole tournament to be stuck to decide what to do you run out of time. I think the solution would ve ben fine if gilligan and the other guy got an entry to what they obtained by their own play.

I can't give anyone a headstart in future cups. It's best if we leave the issues with this cup to this cup and keep the future ones running smoothly.

BMO

Postby Gilligan on Sat May 11, 2013 3:25 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:
betiko wrote:the probem was raised 2 month ago, of course if you wait for the whole tournament to be stuck to decide what to do you run out of time. I think the solution would ve ben fine if gilligan and the other guy got an entry to what they obtained by their own play.

I can't give anyone a headstart in future cups. It's best if we leave the issues with this cup to this cup and keep the future ones running smoothly.

BMO

I still need to be registered. :geek:
Captain Gilligan

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sat May 11, 2013 3:28 pm

Gilligan wrote:
rdsrds2120 wrote:

BMO

On it! :D

BMO

Postby Gilligan on Sat May 11, 2013 7:16 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:
Gilligan wrote:
rdsrds2120 wrote:

BMO

On it! :D

BMO

Well that's embarrassing, I meant or that to be a pm.
Captain Gilligan

Postby smegal69 on Sun May 12, 2013 11:33 pm

So whom do i have to sleep with around here to get my medal? 8-[
Lieutenant smegal69

Location: Doing Hard Time on "The ROCK", in the southern ocean

Postby rdsrds2120 on Tue May 14, 2013 3:10 pm

smegal69 wrote:So whom do i have to sleep with around here to get my medal? 8-[

Awarded yesterday! Congrats to everyone! Prizes are on the way!

BMO

Postby jkraze on Tue May 14, 2013 5:12 pm

I hope you're able to fix it so that CC V shows "finished". Otherwise, it looks as if it may interfere with CC VI when it begins...
Private jkraze

Previous

Return to Announcement Archives