Conquer Club

What video/computer game are you currently playing?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: What video/computer game are you currently playing?

Postby crazymilkshake5 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:03 pm

john9blue wrote:currently downloading civilization V gold edition.

never played a civilization game before

see you guys in a week i guess

civ 3 was the best i played.
highscore
Major crazymilkshake5

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:04 pm

GUITAR HERO!
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby Lootifer on Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:09 pm

Back to finishing off XCOM cause i have the attention span of a knat and give up easy. Might look at a little indie game "Dont start" next. Looks to have potential
I go to the gym to justify my mockery of fat people.
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby muy_thaiguy on Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:39 pm

Somewhat OT but also on topic;
Just got done watching a series called Ultra Hardcore Minecraft with the Mindcrack members. Very entertaining, and very funny as well!
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby Lootifer on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:43 pm

Belrgh I meant "Dont Starve" above.
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:57 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Torment: Tides of Numenera on Kickstarter has passed the 4 Million mark (with some extra funds coming in through paypal directly to them as well). It is now the highest funded game on Kickstarter, and continues to climb with about 2ish hours left. Looks like a decent fun game to play when it comes out...18 some months from now. Ha. But I figured it was worth a token $20 to get a copy of the game that will supposedly be so reactive and interesting from an RPG perspective. I'll just cut back on bananas for few weeks.

Torment on Kickstarter. 2ish hours to go if you want to hop in.

--Andy

Crowdsourcing is interesting. I looked through the various Pledge levels, and none sell any stake of ownership in the game--yet many have paid >$100 for just... stuff. Gimmicks, novellas, recognition in credits, etc. It's weird how much some are willing to pay for these kinds of things. (Yet not ownership rights or royalties or anything--maybe those are for people who call in personally offering >$10,000).
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby GreecePwns on Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:16 am

Ehh, I (and I think most people nowadays) just do it to preorder stuff. Some companies usually release multiple things at once and allow a la carte purchases separately from Kickstarter while still maintaining a page. The gimmicky purchases ususally come from fanboys and people who have more money than they know what to do with.

I also think it may have to do with the ToS, which says you can't hold a kickstarter for funding for ongoing operations, only to start the product with funds that without which the idea would not have been made a reality.
Chariot of Fire wrote:As for GreecePwns.....yeah, what? A massive debt. Get a job you slacker.

Viceroy wrote:[The Biblical creation story] was written in a time when there was no way to confirm this fact and is in fact a statement of the facts.
Corporal GreecePwns

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:24 am

GreecePwns wrote:Ehh, I (and I think most people nowadays) just do it to preorder stuff. Some companies usually release multiple things at once and allow a la carte purchases separately from Kickstarter while still maintaining a page. The gimmicky purchases ususally come from fanboys and people who have more money than they know what to do with.

I also think it may have to do with the ToS, which says you can't hold a kickstarter for funding for ongoing operations, only to start the product with funds that without which the idea would not have been made a reality.

Either way, it's seem great for the producers, since they can get funding without having to open their future profits to new owners.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:38 am

Kickstarter, and many of the projects on there, try to make it clear you aren't really "purchasing" items like in a store, these are "rewards" for backing and investing in a project you'd like to see.

It's essentially like the PBS model. The tote bag and a Lawrence Welk DVD aren't really worth $75, but your "support" is supposed to fill in the gap between your reward and your pledge.

For Video games, I usually don't pledge beyond what I would pay for a game normally (so nothing greater than $20 usually). I also backed an album for $2 on another project, and got a digital download and updates regarding the making-of process. Some projects you get more bang for your buck definitely.

--Andy

BigBallinStalin wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Torment: Tides of Numenera on Kickstarter has passed the 4 Million mark (with some extra funds coming in through paypal directly to them as well). It is now the highest funded game on Kickstarter, and continues to climb with about 2ish hours left. Looks like a decent fun game to play when it comes out...18 some months from now. Ha. But I figured it was worth a token $20 to get a copy of the game that will supposedly be so reactive and interesting from an RPG perspective. I'll just cut back on bananas for few weeks.

--Andy

Crowdsourcing is interesting. I looked through the various Pledge levels, and none sell any stake of ownership in the game--yet many have paid >$100 for just... stuff. Gimmicks, novellas, recognition in credits, etc. It's weird how much some are willing to pay for these kinds of things. (Yet not ownership rights or royalties or anything--maybe those are for people who call in personally offering >$10,000).
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby jimfinn on Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:05 pm

I just scrolled through this whole thread and can't believe no one said League of Legends - one of the most popular MOBA/RTS games out there, and one that makes me say "ok... just one more game" far too often. If you do play on the NA server, my summoner name is "theelkspeaks" so you can add me! :D

On a slower paced, come and go as you please type game, I'm also a huge fan of Gemcraft Labyrinth, a tower defense RPG that has you clear fields in a big maze, and it's addictive as any other game I've ever played. It is the sort of game you take 5 minutes to clear one field, or sink a few hours into beating your existing endurance runs on 10 different fields and opening whole areas of the map, depending on the time you have.

I'm also a pretty big fan of Europa Universalis 3 and Crusader Kings 2, as many above me have linked - my girlfriend is a huge Paradox Gaming fan, and introduced me to both titles a couple months ago. Trying to form the HRE in EU3 is one of the most exciting challenges I've had in a game recently, and while I'm still very much a noob at CK2, it's fun to play around with history however you choose!

Finally, I'm going to put out a recommendation for Kingdom of Loathing, a bizarre, snarky, browser parody RPG, that I've recently gotten into. I'm looking to start a clan on CC soon, and I'm starting a KoL clan as well - look up the Shooting Stars (name will be the same on both) if you're interested!
Jimfinn is looking for regular doubles/triples/quads partners. Please contact him if you are interested!
Corporal 1st Class jimfinn

Postby Lootifer on Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:59 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Kickstarter, and many of the projects on there, try to make it clear you aren't really "purchasing" items like in a store, these are "rewards" for backing and investing in a project you'd like to see.

It's essentially like the PBS model. The tote bag and a Lawrence Welk DVD aren't really worth $75, but your "support" is supposed to fill in the gap between your reward and your pledge.

For Video games, I usually don't pledge beyond what I would pay for a game normally (so nothing greater than $20 usually). I also backed an album for $2 on another project, and got a digital download and updates regarding the making-of process. Some projects you get more bang for your buck definitely.

--Andy

BigBallinStalin wrote:

--Andy

Backing and Investing kind of implies you get some kind of payback for your support though.

Its much more of a donation rather than an investment imo.
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:58 pm

Investment might not have been the perfect word, but you get the jist, just like I explained above. Yo.

--Andy

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue May 07, 2013 3:31 pm

Humble Double Fine Bundle has been released:

I haven't played Brutal Legend, but I hear it is pretty amusing and fun. The games likely won't appeal to everyone, but Psychonauts is pretty fun and has a worthwhile story. Stacking has an interesting game mechanic, even if it is a bit simplistic, and Costume Quest is nice game to give to one of your kids or young relatives (though really any fit that mold).

--Andy

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri May 10, 2013 11:19 am

Machinarium (2009) is on GOG.com for $4.00, so if you are looking for some point and click adventuring and puzzling, and if you love robots (I do), check it out: http://www.gog.com/gamecard/machinarium ... rs_edition

--Andy

Postby rdsrds2120 on Fri May 10, 2013 11:24 am

AndyDufresne wrote:Machinarium (2009) is on GOG.com for $4.00, so if you are looking for some point and click adventuring and puzzling, and if you love robots (I do), check it out: http://www.gog.com/gamecard/machinarium ... rs_edition

--Andy

This is looking to be pretty fine.

BMO
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby muy_thaiguy on Fri May 10, 2013 11:36 am

Still doing ME3.

Random Fact: You can't get the Extended Endings if you use an old playthrough where you just imported an already saved and completed game in ME3 (pre-extended endings). You can do all of the other DLC, but not the extended endings.

I hate starting over, but ME3 is still pretty fun.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri May 10, 2013 11:40 am

Has anyone got into the BioShock series? I've heard quite a bit about the games over the years, but never picked any of the games up. I'm keeping my eye out for some decent steam deals.

--Andy

Postby muy_thaiguy on Fri May 10, 2013 11:41 am

AndyDufresne wrote:Has anyone got into the BioShock series? I've heard quite a bit about the games over the years, but never picked any of the games up. I'm keeping my eye out for some decent steam deals.

--Andy

I've only heard good things about it, but never had the chance to try any of them out.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

Postby rdsrds2120 on Fri May 10, 2013 12:15 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Has anyone got into the BioShock series? I've heard quite a bit about the games over the years, but never picked any of the games up. I'm keeping my eye out for some decent steam deals.

--Andy

The first and third I've been heard to be called a "work of art" as far as video games go. I think that you'd appreciate them especially, Andy! They're dark/dystopian and very 1960's ish all at the same time. Here's a synopsis for you:

The game's concept was developed by Irrational's creative lead, Ken Levine, and was based on the ideas of Objectivism as highlighted by Ayn Rand, while incorporating influences from other authors such as George Orwell. The game is considered a spiritual successor to the System Shock series, which many of Irrational's team including Levine had worked on previously.[14][15]
BioShock is set in 1960, in which the player guides the protagonist, Jack, after his airplane crashes in the ocean near the bathysphere terminus that leads to the underwater city of Rapture. Built by the business magnate Andrew Ryan, the city was intended to be an isolated utopia, but the discovery of ADAM, a plasmid which grants superhuman powers, initiated the city's turbulent decline. Jack tries to find a way to escape, fighting through hordes of ADAM-obsessed enemies such as the deadly Big Daddies, while engaging with the few sane humans that remain and eventually learning of Rapture's past. The player, as Jack, is able to defeat foes in a number of ways by using weapons, utilizing plasmids that give unique powers and by turning Rapture's own defenses against them. BioShock includes elements of role-playing games, giving the player different approaches in engaging enemies such as by stealth, as well as moral choices of saving or killing characters.

BMO

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri May 10, 2013 12:18 pm

Yeah, they seem like games I'd enjoy. Here's to hoping a Steam deal happens sometime, or an Amazon digital download deal...

--Andy

Postby Gillipig on Fri May 10, 2013 12:36 pm

What is the first video game you guys have memory of playing?
The first video game I have any memory of playing was Mortal Kombat II, on super nintendo, the year was probably 1994.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby rdsrds2120 on Fri May 10, 2013 1:11 pm

Gillipig wrote:What is the first video game you guys have memory of playing?
The first video game I have any memory of playing was Mortal Kombat II, on super nintendo, the year was probably 1994.

Frogger!

BMO

Postby muy_thaiguy on Fri May 10, 2013 1:17 pm

Gillipig wrote:What is the first video game you guys have memory of playing?

Super Mario Bros on the Super Nintendo.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri May 10, 2013 1:17 pm

There are two games I recall playing back in the day, but I can't recall for the life of a banana what they were named. One I have a better memory of, it was something like Rampage, but it wasn't Rampage I don't think. I just remember skyscrapers, lots of blue color, and maybe lots of yellow windows, and a gorilla I think.

Edit: Pretty sure this was the game: Gorillas (MS-DOS): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorillas_%28video_game%29

The second one I have even less of a memory of, but I am pretty sure it was some sort of spaceship shooter, but not Asteroids, on a monochromatic monitor (I remember everything being green).

--Andy

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri May 10, 2013 1:32 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:There are two games I recall playing back in the day, but I can't recall for the life of a banana what they were named. One I have a better memory of, it was something like Rampage, but it wasn't Rampage I don't think. I just remember skyscrapers, lots of blue color, and maybe lots of yellow windows, and a gorilla I think.

Edit: Pretty sure this was the game: Gorillas (MS-DOS): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorillas_%28video_game%29

The second one I have even less of a memory of, but I am pretty sure it was some sort of spaceship shooter, but not Asteroids, on a monochromatic monitor (I remember everything being green).

--Andy

Older than Wing Commander?

I recall playing a game which needed about 8 or so of the 5" floppies. It took place in space, and you had to manually type out commands (e.g. examine Body). I recall there being aliens which were in the ship killing your people, so you had to avoid them.
Major BigBallinStalin

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,