Conquer Club

[GO] Fog Confirmation Round

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Enforce 12h fog rule

Postby Finsfleet on Sat May 11, 2013 3:18 am

greenoaks wrote:a better one would be a snap is taken when a game commences. play is not delayed and it is available for everyone, even those without bob.

Yes. But I don't see a way to implement it, other than having Bob as a part of CC, not a plugin, and I don't see it happening. And developing snapshot functionality from the beginning would be pointless.
Major Finsfleet

Postby greenoaks on Sat May 11, 2013 8:10 am

Finsfleet wrote:
greenoaks wrote:a better one would be a snap is taken when a game commences. play is not delayed and it is available for everyone, even those without bob.

Yes. But I don't see a way to implement it, other than having Bob as a part of CC, not a plugin, and I don't see it happening. And developing snapshot functionality from the beginning would be pointless.

both would require development but yours is for a very limited group so not going to happen
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Finsfleet on Sat May 11, 2013 8:21 am

greenoaks wrote:
Finsfleet wrote:

both would require development but yours is for a very limited group so not going to happen

Like I said and explained before, I don't think it's here for a limited group.

I`m all for incorporating Bob into CC, this is a great tool. However, why wasn't this done before? I think that 90%+ users of CC that are on the site for more than 6 months (I don't have the stats, just guessing) use it. So if there is a chance of having it as a part of CC, why wasn't this done before?
Major Finsfleet

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat May 11, 2013 12:37 pm

Finsfleet wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote:I would want some programmer input on how long this would take to implement. I imagine it would be fairly easy, but I have been wrong before.

Estimation is the most difficult part of developers job and it is almost never accurate. You can only predict order of magnitude, not an actual time. It is difficult enough when you are working on the site, without looking at the code it is impossible to say anything.

I see a limited number of users actually using this

However, there are more users that use an unofficial version of this than there are that used an unofficial version of Trench, and that got implemented. However, that was a radical change in gameplay, whereas this is more of a tune-up.

I don`t see it that way. 12h fog rule is now almost a regular rule in tournament and clan games, whether in casual or strict ways. And it is usually casual for two reasons: because people forget (like I do) and because people don't have time to wait (like Gillian and jghost7 pointed out).

I would never join a tournament with 12h fog rule on principle and my clan does 3/4 of wars without the rule, so I guess it depends on perspective.

I like greenoaks idea much better actually.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Finsfleet on Sat May 11, 2013 1:36 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:
Finsfleet wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote:I would want some programmer input on how long this would take to implement. I imagine it would be fairly easy, but I have been wrong before.

Estimation is the most difficult part of developers job and it is almost never accurate. You can only predict order of magnitude, not an actual time. It is difficult enough when you are working on the site, without looking at the code it is impossible to say anything.

However, there are more users that use an unofficial version of this than there are that used an unofficial version of Trench, and that got implemented. However, that was a radical change in gameplay, whereas this is more of a tune-up.

I don`t see it that way. 12h fog rule is now almost a regular rule in tournament and clan games, whether in casual or strict ways. And it is usually casual for two reasons: because people forget (like I do) and because people don't have time to wait (like Gillian and jghost7 pointed out).

I would never join a tournament with 12h fog rule on principle and my clan does 3/4 of wars without the rule, so I guess it depends on perspective.

I like it better as well, like I said, but I don't think it will ever happen. This might.

Why don't you like the rule, by the way? Just curious.
Major Finsfleet

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat May 11, 2013 3:49 pm

The only downside to the rule is games can take longer to get started and you may be ready to take your turn when it starts but not 12 hours later. That and some people just like the advantage I suppose(assuming they go first).
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Finsfleet on Sat May 11, 2013 4:08 pm

Hmm, we can also add an option to allow the start for all of the opposing players. I`ll add this to the description as well.
Major Finsfleet

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat May 11, 2013 4:39 pm

Finsfleet wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote:
Finsfleet wrote:

I like it better as well, like I said, but I don't think it will ever happen. This might.

Why don't you like the rule, by the way? Just curious.

I don't like it because I think it is a type of strategy to get in there fast before they can snap. The whole point of fog is that players have minimum information.

Added to this Suggestion
it will need exceptions for maps that already have 12 hr fog rule exceptions (city mogul, Age of Realms etc.)
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby greenoaks on Sat May 11, 2013 4:48 pm

Finsfleet wrote:
greenoaks wrote:
Finsfleet wrote:

Like I said and explained before, I don't think it's here for a limited group.

I`m all for incorporating Bob into CC, this is a great tool. However, why wasn't this done before? I think that 90%+ users of CC that are on the site for more than 6 months (I don't have the stats, just guessing) use it. So if there is a chance of having it as a part of CC, why wasn't this done before?

i didn't suggest incorporating Bob. my suggestion is a snap is taken at the beginning of every single game. yes, that is a feature of Bob but 1 of many. your suggestion only relates to Fog games which have a 12 rule agreed to. so almost none. that is why i say this won't happen. it impacts too few & requires a lot of coding.

also your guess on the number of Bob users is way off. hardly anyone uses it. those that do are far more likely to be found in the forums so it seems like a greater percentage ;)
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Finsfleet on Sat May 11, 2013 5:04 pm

greenoaks wrote:i didn't suggest incorporating Bob. my suggestion is a snap is taken at the beginning of every single game. yes, that is a feature of Bob but 1 of many.

I know, but again, why coding something (snapshots) that is already implemented, and it's implemented very well. That's why I'talking about conquerclub-bob merger. ;) But, by all means, open a thread for this.
your suggestion only relates to Fog games which have a 12 rule agreed to. so almost none.

Again, I disagree. ;) And now I see that it's mandatory in CC4.
also your guess on the number of Bob users is way off. hardly anyone uses it. those that do are far more likely to be found in the forums so it seems like a greater percentage ;)

Could be. However, those that do visit forums are a core group of players, and most loyal. Community that keeps this site up and running.
Added to this Suggestion
it will need exceptions for maps that already have 12 hr fog rule exceptions (city mogul, Age of Realms etc.)

I don't think it's necessary? We can simply not to create those kind of games. :) By the way, what happens if I create 8 player AOR2 game?
Major Finsfleet

Re: Option to enforce 12h fog rule

Postby WILLIAMS5232 on Sat May 11, 2013 10:27 pm

i didn't know what bob was until i joined up with a clan.

i think the only ones that would really care to have this is the super serious top level clan players that masturbate while playing the game. i for one don't really care about fog rules. most players with decency will post their move if they forget, or just don't forget. if they do forget it's not a problem for me. i just play the turn like a man.

but really i have no loss/gain for having this implemented or not. so maybe i shouldn't even post my opinion? but i guess that's what the suggestion box is for. opinions?

i can think of a few better suggestions to work on than this.
Major WILLIAMS5232

Postby greenoaks on Sun May 12, 2013 2:50 am

WILLIAMS5232 wrote:i didn't know what bob was until i joined up with a clan.

i think the only ones that would really care to have this is the super serious top level clan players that masturbate while playing the game. i for one don't really care about fog rules. most players with decency will post their move if they forget, or just don't forget. if they do forget it's not a problem for me. i just play the turn like a man.

but really i have no loss/gain for having this implemented or not. so maybe i shouldn't even post my opinion? but i guess that's what the suggestion box is for. opinions?

i can think of a few better suggestions to work on than this.

that is a great opinion. i think the vast majority of the site is like you. what is Bob? or 12 hour rule - meh. very few of us would be passionate about this.

pop into some of the other suggs. providing feedback of for/against or somewhere inbetween is always welcomed.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby WILLIAMS5232 on Sun May 12, 2013 7:20 pm

greenoaks wrote:pop into some of the other suggs. providing feedback of for/against or somewhere inbetween is always welcomed.

i suppose i will. feedback is very valuable. subway agrees, they give you free cookies.

..... which gives me an idea for a suggestion myself. :D
Major WILLIAMS5232

Re: 12 hour lock-out

Postby spiesr on Thu May 30, 2013 4:29 pm

Captain spiesr

Re: Activate Button for Fog games

Postby spiesr on Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:58 pm

Captain spiesr

Postby t4mcr53s2 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:15 pm

a nice advatage of any automatic solution would be the end of invited players jockeying to see who can be last to join fog games without 12 hour rule
Colonel t4mcr53s2

Postby squishyg on Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:40 pm

I am fine with automatic snapshots or an added 12-24 hours for everyone to see the board as long as it permanent ends the conversation about the fog "rule", which I still consider to be the most irritating conversation on CC.
There is no fog rule and I am no gentleman.
Robinette wrote:
Kaskavel wrote:Seriously. Who is the female conqueror of CC?

Depends on what metric you use...
The coolest is squishyg
Captain squishyg

AutoMatic Snap Shoots

Postby smegal69 on Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:05 am

Auto Matic Snap Shoots

Automatic Snap take at the start of the game

as soon as a game starts a snap shoot is taken

Makes it fair on all players in the game to see where everyone was at the start

1, save people waiting 12 hours to take a turn when they playing the unofficial 12 hour rule.
2, lets people see who was where before other players take there turn and they never get to see what/who was where.
Corporal smegal69

Location: Doing Hard Time on "The ROCK", in the southern ocean

Re: AutoMatic Snap Shoots

Postby Armandolas on Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:17 am

That would be a nice feature.Looks simple
Colonel Armandolas

Postby smegal69 on Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:10 am

Oh and give a suggestion medal to people who's suggestion is implemented :D

Chicks Dig Medals
Corporal smegal69

Location: Doing Hard Time on "The ROCK", in the southern ocean

Postby DoomYoshi on Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:04 pm

Already suggested in the Tools Suggestions forum.

I can't merge this with that, but I can show you the link. Since BOB is third-party software, this would have to be a third-party suggestion.

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=528&t=192073
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Automatic Snapshot at the Start of a Fog Game- 12 Hour Rule

Postby Kid Moe on Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:27 pm

So I am the last to join a game and I am the first to take my turn but guess what? you guessed it.....there is a 12 hour rule. I cannot take my turn until the other team snaps or 12 hours have passed. As a father of three little ones who works three jobs this rule does not affect me to much. There have been occasions though where I knew that if I could just take my turn instead of waiting it would have made things a lot easier on my life. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I am suggesting that an automatic snap be taken for all to see at the start of all fog games. Every player can then see, if they wish, what the map looked like at the start of the game and the person who may have been the last to join his game but first to play can do so without having to wait hours upon hours.

What do you guys think?
Cook Kid Moe

Re: Automatic Snapshot at the Start of a Fog Game- 12 Hour R

Postby DoomYoshi on Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:49 pm

I think this has been suggested before and when I get to my real computer in the morning i will merge it for you.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Metsfanmax on Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:47 am

The 12 hour rule is one of courtesy, not an actual rule. If you would have to go out of your way to arrange your schedule so that you only play the turn in the second half of the round, then just take the turn when you can. People may be upset but they'll have to deal. Of course, the latest change does mean you'll have to wait an hour, but that's not as bad as 12.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby greenoaks on Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:38 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:The 12 hour rule is one of courtesy, not an actual rule. If you would have to go out of your way to arrange your schedule so that you only play the turn in the second half of the round, then just take the turn when you can. People may be upset but they'll have to deal. Of course, the latest change does mean you'll have to wait an hour, but that's not as bad as 12.

when was a 1 hour wait implemented for Fog games?
Sergeant greenoaks

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions