Conquer Club

General Rest in Peace thread

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

General Rest in Peace thread

Postby Army of GOD on Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:23 am

Alright, since I know Pedro gets an aneurism any time someone makes a dead celebrity thread, I'll make this thread so we can at least have condensed condolences.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to start it off with Michael Clarke Duncan. I know everyone else in the world remembers him mostly as the guy from the Green Mile but I'll remember him as the bouncer in Night of the Roxbury.

Good night, sweet prince.

mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Re: General Rest in Peace thread

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:30 am

His deep voice will forever echo throughout the fibers of my soul.

Also, I enjoyed his performance in The Green Mile.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:37 am

Army of GOD wrote:Unfortunately I'm going to have to start it off with Michael Clarke Duncan. I know everyone else in the world remembers him mostly as the guy from the Green Mile but I'll remember him as the bouncer in Night of the Roxbury.

Neither. To me he will always be Bear from the movie Armageddon.

And yes, a great guy by all accounts.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby whitestazn88 on Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:38 am

He sucked the sickness out of another man's body while grasping his penis. Can't beat that. #RIPMCD
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby Phatscotty on Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:38 am

Major Phatscotty

Postby Gilligan on Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:43 am

Watched Invasion of the Tinysauruses last night :(

RIP
Captain Gilligan

Postby isaiah40 on Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:55 am

And Gilligan died as well. Bob Denver that is!!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Gilligan on Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:58 am

isaiah40 wrote:And Gilligan died as well. Bob Denver that is!!

That was a day before!! And 7 years...
Captain Gilligan

Postby 2dimes on Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:14 pm

Gilligan wrote:
isaiah40 wrote:And Gilligan died as well. Bob Denver that is!!

That was a day before!! And 7 years...

http://blog.chron.com/hottopics/2012/09 ... till-dead/

http://storify.com/preovolos/bob-denver-is-still-dead
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Army of GOD on Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:02 pm

RIP Steve Sabol

NFL Films is awesome. He will be missed.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Army of GOD on Thu May 02, 2013 5:44 pm

RIP Jeff Hanneman, guitarist for Slayer.

Looks like it'll be raining blood tonight.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Thu May 02, 2013 5:56 pm

Raining Blood and Angel of Death are the only two Slayer songs I ever really cared for. Figures the good songwriter dies.

-TG
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby Gillipig on Sun May 12, 2013 4:06 pm

"Rest in peace" is a pretty empty saying if you don't believe in a diety. So atheists have to find some other cliche sentence to use in these circumstances.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Army of GOD on Sun May 12, 2013 4:50 pm

"Gillipig is a unimaginative dickbag"?
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Dukasaur on Sun May 12, 2013 5:12 pm

Gillipig wrote:"Rest in peace" is a pretty empty saying if you don't believe in a diety. So atheists have to find some other cliche sentence to use in these circumstances.

Incorrect. Rest does not require a diety, only a struggle to rest from.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Serbia on Sun May 12, 2013 10:37 pm

Army of GOD wrote:"Gillipig is a unimaginative dickbag"?

AN*

Bollocks.
CONFUSED? YOU'LL KNOW WHEN YOU'RE RIPE
saxitoxin wrote:Serbia is a RUDE DUDE
may not be a PRUDE, but he's gotta 'TUDE
might not be LEWD, but he's gonna get BOOED
RUDE
Captain Serbia

Postby Gillipig on Mon May 13, 2013 1:56 am

Dukasaur wrote:
Gillipig wrote:"Rest in peace" is a pretty empty saying if you don't believe in a diety. So atheists have to find some other cliche sentence to use in these circumstances.

Explain this to me. How are you supposed to "rest" if there is no afterlife? If you don't believe in an afterlife, then expressing your wish for a person to "rest" in it is obviously an empty expression. Because you don't think he can rest, be anxious, be in pain etc, and if you do you're not really an atheist. An atheist could say "may his memory rest in peace" or something like that, expressing the wish that people won't start viewing this person in bad light, but wishing he himself should rest in peace is quite silly if you don't believe in god.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby 2dimes on Mon May 13, 2013 6:26 am

Afterlife will not be rest. A person's memory will not be at rest until it is no longer used, that might be the memories death. We know who my great grandfather was but not his father.

Rest offered in death may be more significant for an atheist, especially if it follows a period of pain.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Dukasaur on Mon May 13, 2013 7:18 am

Gillipig wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

Explain this to me. How are you supposed to "rest" if there is no afterlife? If you don't believe in an afterlife, then expressing your wish for a person to "rest" in it is obviously an empty expression. Because you don't think he can rest, be anxious, be in pain etc, and if you do you're not really an atheist. An atheist could say "may his memory rest in peace" or something like that, expressing the wish that people won't start viewing this person in bad light, but wishing he himself should rest in peace is quite silly if you don't believe in god.

2dimes wrote:Afterlife will not be rest. A person's memory will not be at rest until it is no longer used, that might be the memories death. We know who my great grandfather was but not his father.

Rest offered in death may be more significant for an atheist, especially if it follows a period of pain.
That's the basic answer. If all of life is suffering and anguish, then death is a release, not a punishment...

Schopenhauer wrote:“If the immediate and direct purpose of our life is not suffering then our existence is the most Ill-adapted to its purpose in the world: for it is absurd to suppose that the endless affliction of which the world is everywhere full, and which arises out of the need and distress pertaining essentially to life, should be purposeless and purely accidental. Each individual misfortune, to be sure, seems an exceptional occurrence; but misfortune in general is the rule.”

Other non-deist answers are possible as well. There are numerous variations of spiritualist beliefs which allow for a soul and reincarnation without requiring a deity.

Beyond that, there are Platonic speculations, where life and death are equally illusory. If our existence is just the dream of a madman, then our death is just another phase in the dream.

So, there's at least 3 answers. I could go on, but I think three examples is enough to crush your dreams of building a successful hypothesis.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby 2dimes on Mon May 13, 2013 7:38 am

Dukasaur wrote:If our existence is just the dream of a madman, then our death is just another phase in the dream.

Is it madness or something we can't understand, most easily explained away with the term?
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Gillipig on Mon May 13, 2013 7:40 am

Dukasaur wrote:
Gillipig wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

2dimes wrote:Afterlife will not be rest. A person's memory will not be at rest until it is no longer used, that might be the memories death. We know who my great grandfather was but not his father.

That's the basic answer. If all of life is suffering and anguish, then death is a release, not a punishment...

Schopenhauer wrote:“If the immediate and direct purpose of our life is not suffering then our existence is the most Ill-adapted to its purpose in the world: for it is absurd to suppose that the endless affliction of which the world is everywhere full, and which arises out of the need and distress pertaining essentially to life, should be purposeless and purely accidental. Each individual misfortune, to be sure, seems an exceptional occurrence; but misfortune in general is the rule.”

Other non-deist answers are possible as well. There are numerous variations of spiritualist beliefs which allow for a soul and reincarnation without requiring a deity.

Beyond that, there are Platonic speculations, where life and death are equally illusory. If our existence is just the dream of a madman, then our death is just another phase in the dream.

So, there's at least 3 answers. I could go on, but I think three examples is enough to crush your dreams of building a successful hypothesis.

I can't believe I have to say this but the feeling of relief is a feeling, and if there isn't an afterlife how are you supposed to feel anything? That cherished feeling of not feeling anything is an illusion. You don't know what it's like to feel nothing, you've felt something all your life, you don't die when you go to sleep, if you think being dead is like resting you will.......I was about to say "be disappointed" but that's the thing, you won't be that either. Feeling nothing is not the same as resting, you don't die when you go to bed.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby 2dimes on Mon May 13, 2013 7:42 am

So you have never been injured?
Corporal 2dimes

Re:

Postby Gillipig on Mon May 13, 2013 7:45 am

2dimes wrote:So you have never been injured?

Never so badly I've died no. Do you have a "back from the other side" story to tell us?
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby 2dimes on Mon May 13, 2013 7:56 am

No but when I have had any bad injuries I don't feel them during sleep. It's the only time to "rest" from the pain. I took a generic Tylenol 3 copy that so far was the only narcotic that functioned on me. It was similar yet different. It offered distraction instead of rest. It did make it easier at times to go to sleep which then offered rest.
Corporal 2dimes

Re:

Postby Gillipig on Mon May 13, 2013 8:20 am

2dimes wrote:No but when I have had any bad injuries I don't feel them during sleep. It's the only time to "rest" from the pain. I took a generic Tylenol 3 copy that so far was the only narcotic that functioned on me. It was similar yet different. It offered distraction instead of rest. It did make it easier at times to go to sleep which then offered rest.

Yeah well you're not dead when you take some painkillers and go to bed. Just because you're not conscious doesn't mean you don't feel anything. I may be sleeping heavy on painkillers but if someone pours a bucket of water on me and starts beating me up, I wake up pretty quickly. I couldn't do that if I didn't feel anything.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,