Conquer Club

General Rest in Peace thread

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re:

Postby Dukasaur on Mon May 13, 2013 8:31 am

2dimes wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:If our existence is just the dream of a madman, then our death is just another phase in the dream.

Is it madness or something we can't understand, most easily explained away with the term?

A modern variation of the dream paradox suggests that we're avatars in a MUDD, a simulation being run by a superior intelligence. So, yes. If I get you correctly, you could run the argument completely around the atheist track and come back to a deist part of the stadium, where "superior intelligence" is a type of god.
ā€œā€ŽLife is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.ā€
ā€• Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Re: General Rest in Peace thread

Postby Dukasaur on Mon May 13, 2013 8:38 am

Gillipig wrote:I can't believe I have to say this but the feeling of relief is a feeling, and if there isn't an afterlife how are you supposed to feel anything? That cherished feeling of not feeling anything is an illusion. You don't know what it's like to feel nothing, you've felt something all your life, you don't die when you go to sleep, if you think being dead is like resting you will.......I was about to say "be disappointed" but that's the thing, you won't be that either. Feeling nothing is not the same as resting, you don't die when you go to bed.

Possibly. Or, if it's the last thing that you ever feel, perhaps it subjectively feels like an eternity.

Time dilation is a common effect as brain activity is reduced. Perhaps as brain activity approaches zero, time dilation approaches infinity. Sort of the "falling into a black hole" effect. So, while your death (time from failure of macrofunction to loss of all local brain function) might take only a few seconds, it might subjectively feel like it takes forever.

In any case, you didn't address the other two possibilities.
ā€• Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby 2dimes on Mon May 13, 2013 8:51 am

Gillipig wrote: Just because you're not conscious doesn't mean you don't feel anything.

That is exactly what it means. My back hurt all the time while awake. When I slept, I rested peacefully away from all the effects of the pain. When I woke up the pain was still there.

I explained the difference between rest and distraction. You either deny it or don't understand. Rest was the time when there is no pain.

Most pain killers have no effect on me. When I took the narcotic that did it altered my mind and gave me something to do mentally instead of noticing the pain. The pain was there, I just did not mind it, at times I would find it amusing or something else. Some prefer the pills because the pain never interrupts them. As they wore off it was near the time to take one again.

Some sleeps are deeper than others.
Corporal 2dimes

Re: Re:

Postby 2dimes on Mon May 13, 2013 8:56 am

Dukasaur wrote:
2dimes wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:If our existence is just the dream of a madman, then our death is just another phase in the dream.

Is it madness or something we can't understand, most easily explained away with the term?

A modern variation of the dream paradox suggests that we're avatars in a MUDD, a simulation being run by a superior intelligence. So, yes. If I get you correctly, you could run the argument completely around the atheist track and come back to a deist part of the stadium, where "superior intelligence" is a type of god.

What's MUDD?

I was questioning the "mad" part of "madman".
Corporal 2dimes

Re:

Postby Gillipig on Mon May 13, 2013 9:39 am

2dimes wrote:
Gillipig wrote: Just because you're not conscious doesn't mean you don't feel anything.

That is exactly what it means. My back hurt all the time while awake. When I slept, I rested peacefully away from all the effects of the pain. When I woke up the pain was still there.

I explained the difference between rest and distraction. You either deny it or don't understand. Rest was the time when there is no pain.

Most pain killers have no effect on me. When I took the narcotic that did it altered my mind and gave me something to do mentally instead of noticing the pain. The pain was there, I just did not mind it, at times I would find it amusing or something else. Some prefer the pills because the pain never interrupts them. As they wore off it was near the time to take one again.

No, it's you who either don't understand or are in denial. Do you think you are just one aspect of your brain? Just because the conscious part of your brain is temporarily turned off doesn't mean you are not feeling anything. Your conscious part and your unconscious part are two parts of you, one of them never shuts down until you die, that is the unconscious part. You claim to know how it's like when both parts are shut off. No matter how packed with painkillers you've been you've never managed to turn off your brain anymore than I have. You are not just your conscious part, you are your unconscious part as well. Or is it someone else dreaming for you during the night?
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon May 13, 2013 10:19 am

2dimes wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
2dimes wrote:

What's MUDD?

Well MUD is Multi User Dungeon, which I'm familiar with from text based games: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MUD

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Dukasaur on Mon May 13, 2013 10:31 am

AndyDufresne wrote:
2dimes wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
2dimes wrote:

What's MUDD?

Well MUD is Multi User Dungeon, which I'm familiar with from text based games: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MUD

--Andy

MUD< MUDD> MUCK>
I get lost in all the acronyms. The goddamn internet is worse than the Pentagon.

Basic point remains.... if we are not ourselves, but just characters that have been programmed to run around in some virtual world, for the amusement of the spoiled children of a latter-day Zeus, then naturally we "believe" that our little virtual sandbox is "real."
ā€• Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby 2dimes on Mon May 13, 2013 11:34 am

Cool concept duk.

Is it worse than the Pentagon... or better!
Gillipig wrote:
2dimes wrote:

No, it's you who either don't understand or are in denial. Do you think you are just one aspect of your brain? Just because the conscious part of your brain is temporarily turned off doesn't mean you are not feeling anything. Your conscious part and your unconscious part are two parts of you, one of them never shuts down until you die, that is the unconscious part. You claim to know how it's like when both parts are shut off. No matter how packed with painkillers you've been you've never managed to turn off your brain anymore than I have. You are not just your conscious part, you are your unconscious part as well. Or is it someone else dreaming for you during the night?

One of us has gone to sleep drug free and not dreamed about back pain. In fact he had pleasant peacefull dreams, he was "resting in peace." Since you're acting smart, I'll wait for you to tell us which one.

So you have a sub concious part of your brain until you're dead? Do you have a "back from the other side" story to tell us?
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Mon May 13, 2013 3:10 pm

Not to derail what may well be the most pointless debate in the history of the Off Topics (and that's saying something), but do you guys think Westboro will actually have the balls to go through with their threat of boycotting Jeff Hanneman's funeral?

I'd like to see that.
Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Army of GOD on Mon May 13, 2013 3:14 pm

Gillipig is a troll and I'm going to report anyone who responds to any more of his posts in this thread.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Dukasaur on Mon May 13, 2013 3:35 pm

Haggis_McMutton wrote:Not to derail what may well be the most pointless debate in the history of the Off Topics (and that's saying something), but do you guys think Westboro will actually have the balls to go through with their threat of boycotting Jeff Hanneman's funeral?

I'd like to see that.

I googled Westboro and Jeff Hanneman funeral and found only one small article on some really obscure ("Stabley") website. Is this really a likely event or is it something that's purely some blogger's wet dream?
ā€• Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby 2dimes on Mon May 13, 2013 9:37 pm

Army of GOD wrote:Gillipig is a troll and I'm going to report anyone who responds to any more of his posts in this thread.

:( I'll try to give it a rest.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby jonesthecurl on Mon May 13, 2013 11:29 pm

RIP Ray Harryhausen.
He didn't really die, but his motion has stopped.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby Gillipig on Tue May 14, 2013 1:02 am

Army of GOD wrote:Gillipig is a troll and I'm going to report anyone who responds to any more of his posts in this thread.

Report away AoG, at this point I'm pretty sure the moderators don't even look at your complaint before they dismiss it.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Re:

Postby Gillipig on Tue May 14, 2013 1:11 am

2dimes wrote:Cool concept duk.

Is it worse than the Pentagon... or better!
Gillipig wrote:
2dimes wrote:

One of us has gone to sleep drug free and not dreamed about back pain. In fact he had pleasant peacefull dreams, he was "resting in peace." Since you're acting smart, I'll wait for you to tell us which one.

So you have a sub concious part of your brain until you're dead? Do you have a "back from the other side" story to tell us?

You're not making any sense 2dimes. And you're starting to repeat yourself. This post of yours offered nothing new to the argument. I already explained that resting and dying isn't the same thing, and that your subconscious isn't turned off when you sleep otherwise there would be no way for you to wake up. If your brain is completely turned off then you will have zero chance of coming back into consciousness. Not even someone in a coma, who is unable to wake up, has had their brain completely turned off. So it's very silly of you to claim to have experienced something that you need to be dead to have experienced. I guess you just can't admit you are wrong. I think you will survive that, you won't die just because you admit to losing an argument.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby nietzsche on Tue May 14, 2013 1:15 am

Relax Gillipig.

Here, have some fun:

el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby Gillipig on Tue May 14, 2013 1:19 am

I'm perfectly calm dude!
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Tue May 14, 2013 2:58 am

Dukasaur wrote:
Haggis_McMutton wrote:Not to derail what may well be the most pointless debate in the history of the Off Topics (and that's saying something), but do you guys think Westboro will actually have the balls to go through with their threat of boycotting Jeff Hanneman's funeral?

I'd like to see that.

I googled Westboro and Jeff Hanneman funeral and found only one small article on some really obscure ("Stabley") website. Is this really a likely event or is it something that's purely some blogger's wet dream?

Apparently they tweeted that they're gonna show up. But apparently they didn't actually go to the last few places they said they were gonna boycott, so I'm betting they don't actually show up.
Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Gillipig on Tue May 14, 2013 5:51 am

Oh and this is more my taste:

Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby 2dimes on Tue May 14, 2013 9:43 am

In English rest is when something, pain in this case, stops. Carry on explaining how that won't happen when a person dies. I'm obviously not getting it.
Corporal 2dimes

Re:

Postby Gillipig on Tue May 14, 2013 11:30 am

2dimes wrote:In English rest is when something, pain in this case, stops. Carry on explaining how that won't happen when a person dies. I'm obviously not getting it.

Yeah, I'm probably wasting my time arguing with you. But so are everyone else here really. I can't remember the last time I saw someone on CC admitted to being convinced by another users arguments. It doesn't even matter how wrong he is, he just won't listen to the arguments, or he's too busy trying to think of ways to counter the argument to stop and consider whether the other guy is actually right. That's why I rarely engage in long discussions on the internet. The setting doesn't allow for intelligent and meaningful arguments. Peoples ego get in the way.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby nietzsche on Tue May 14, 2013 3:56 pm

nietzsche wrote:Relax Gillipig.

Here, have some fun:

You mean the dress? Because they both look the same to me.
General nietzsche

Postby Gillipig on Tue May 14, 2013 4:02 pm

nietzsche wrote:

Here, have some fun:

Do you think all skinny people look alike as well?
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby nietzsche on Tue May 14, 2013 4:02 pm

Gillipig wrote:
nietzsche wrote:

Here, have some fun:

Lol that's silly. Only fat people and asian people look alike!
General nietzsche

Postby Gillipig on Tue May 14, 2013 4:15 pm

nietzsche wrote:
Gillipig wrote:
nietzsche wrote:

Here, have some fun:

Lol that's silly. Only fat people and asian people look alike!

You forgot black people as well. Now that I think of it, everyone with brown hair look alike to me.
Lieutenant Gillipig

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,