Conquer Club

Comics

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Comics

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Mon May 13, 2013 4:26 pm

Um... that sounds like the best movie ever. C'MON HOLLYWOOD GET IT TOGETHER!

-TG
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby Crazyirishman on Mon May 13, 2013 9:29 pm

Hey guys I finally found one, not sure if its been posted posted before but I got a good chuckle.

Captain Crazyirishman

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Tue May 14, 2013 4:06 am

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Wed May 15, 2013 3:11 am

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby ender516 on Wed May 15, 2013 11:52 am

All good, but the middle one made me LOL.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Thu May 16, 2013 6:02 am

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby ender516 on Thu May 16, 2013 11:53 am

1. Too true
  2. Too right
  3. To infinity and beyond!

Postby Army of GOD on Thu May 16, 2013 12:28 pm

It's closer to 2 times the speed of light (4.8*10^8).
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby thegreekdog on Fri May 17, 2013 7:23 am

I've always wondered about the second one when it comes to various products.

Pharmaceuticals, for example, are man-made, but the components exist naturally. Anyway, I thought - "Aren't all products natural or organic?" I think of weird stuff sometimes.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby ManBungalow on Fri May 17, 2013 10:00 am

I got pissed off with my schoolteacher when I was about 7 as she tried to tell me that a wooden rolling pin is a man-made object.

Colonel ManBungalow

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Fri May 17, 2013 11:21 am

thegreekdog wrote:I've always wondered about the second one when it comes to various products.

Pharmaceuticals, for example, are man-made, but the components exist naturally. Anyway, I thought - "Aren't all products natural or organic?" I think of weird stuff sometimes.

I think about stuff like that often, except I usually take it to far more ridiculous lengths.

For instance, based on the idea you mention I then thought about people's tendency to associated "not natural" with unhealthy. Of course this is bullshit, you can find many things as natural as they come (ie. growing out of the ground) that'll kill you and many thinks as artificial as they come (eg: most modern drugs) that'll save your life.

Then I though, if it's a bullshit and potentially harmful idea (especially when taken to extremes, such as not vaccinating your kids cause they'll get autism), then why does it persist? Is it just an unfortunate side-effect of some larger evolutionary system that provides enough benefit to overcome the disadvantage of that particular neurosis?

But, then I remembered about the many people who followed premature scientific advice, such as taking ridiculously high doses of certain vitamins or taking 2 aspirins a day and lately suffered because it turned out that taking that shit in such high quantitied causes more problems than it solves. (one example of this taken to extremes is futurist Ray Kurzweil, who is, to quote wikipedia, taking "250 supplements, eight to 10 glasses of alkaline water and 10 cups of green tea every day and drinking several glasses of red wine a week in an effort to 'reprogram' his biochemistry").
So maybe this irrational and ultimately bullshit belief is actually useful as some kind of a heuristic that incentivises you to stick with the stuff you've consumed from childhood(and which you therefore probably consider "natural")

I have no idea why I wrote all that out, but f*ck it, not gonna delete it now. Anywho:

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

@ 3rd one. My feelings exactly. God do I hate those fuckin commercials.

Edit:
Also, 50th page. Not bad.
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby thegreekdog on Fri May 17, 2013 12:15 pm

Haggis_McMutton wrote:I think about stuff like that often, except I usually take it to far more ridiculous lengths.

For instance, based on the idea you mention I then thought about people's tendency to associated "not natural" with unhealthy. Of course this is bullshit, you can find many things as natural as they come (ie. growing out of the ground) that'll kill you and many thinks as artificial as they come (eg: most modern drugs) that'll save your life.

Then I though, if it's a bullshit and potentially harmful idea (especially when taken to extremes, such as not vaccinating your kids cause they'll get autism), then why does it persist? Is it just an unfortunate side-effect of some larger evolutionary system that provides enough benefit to overcome the disadvantage of that particular neurosis?

That's precisely why I think of things like that.

My dad, my brother, and I once had a 4 hour debate (on a drive home from college) on math... not of a math concept but math generally. I think we were arguing about the arbitrary nature of the language and it's application to math. That movie Stargate (or one of those 1990s science fiction movies) talked about how aliens would be able to communicate with us through math, which generated the conversation.

Postby 2dimes on Fri May 17, 2013 5:00 pm

Haggis_McMutton wrote:the link I'm posting.

Click image to enlarge.

I laughed then showed it to my wife still laughing. I told her, "It would have to be pizza or something but I get it."
Corporal 2dimes

Postby jonesthecurl on Fri May 17, 2013 6:20 pm

When I told my first wife I was leaving she said "Eat all the bananas before you go, and take the pickled onions with you."
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby 2dimes on Fri May 17, 2013 6:35 pm

I would have followed those orders provided there were not too many bananas.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Sat May 18, 2013 5:23 am

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Sun May 19, 2013 5:25 am

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Mon May 20, 2013 3:50 am

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby ender516 on Mon May 20, 2013 2:44 pm

I am really liking the heavenly strips.

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Tue May 21, 2013 4:32 am

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Wed May 22, 2013 2:35 am

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby ender516 on Thu May 23, 2013 12:11 pm

Haggis_McMutton wrote:
Click image to enlarge.

In the last year, after decades of working in C and wishing I were working in C++, my company finally sent me for C++ training. So I was way past panel 4 (in C at least), went back to panel 2 for four days, then skipped ahead to panel 4 again. By the time I get to panel 5, I may not give a damn (I'll be pushing retirement). However this plan can be modified to "Teach Yourself Anything In 21 Days", so, there's that. It might be best just to start at panel 5 and keep your options open for panel ten.
Haggis_McMutton wrote:
Click image to enlarge.

Yeah, I hear dat. "I'm gonna pop some tags, got twenty dollars in my pocket..."
Haggis_McMutton wrote:
Click image to enlarge.

My library is just as bad. It is very disappointing to find the old atom/rocket sticker on the spine of a vampire book. It is also annoying to find a dragon sticker on something by Robinson (Kim Stanley or Spider, take your pick).

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Fri May 24, 2013 4:58 am

ender516 wrote:In the last year, after decades of working in C and wishing I were working in C++, my company finally sent me for C++ training. So I was way past panel 4 (in C at least), went back to panel 2 for four days, then skipped ahead to panel 4 again. By the time I get to panel 5, I may not give a damn (I'll be pushing retirement). However this plan can be modified to "Teach Yourself Anything In 21 Days", so, there's that. It might be best just to start at panel 5 and keep your options open for panel ten.

How do you like C++? I've heard horror stories about what happens to code bases when people switch to C++ and are just itching to try on all the "features".

Also:
Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby thegreekdog on Fri May 24, 2013 7:30 am

Click image to enlarge.

This comic illustrates (pun intended) my second biggest problem with the United States.

Postby ender516 on Fri May 24, 2013 11:35 am

Haggis_McMutton wrote:
ender516 wrote:In the last year, after decades of working in C and wishing I were working in C++, my company finally sent me for C++ training. So I was way past panel 4 (in C at least), went back to panel 2 for four days, then skipped ahead to panel 4 again. By the time I get to panel 5, I may not give a damn (I'll be pushing retirement). However this plan can be modified to "Teach Yourself Anything In 21 Days", so, there's that. It might be best just to start at panel 5 and keep your options open for panel ten.

How do you like C++? I've heard horror stories about what happens to code bases when people switch to C++ and are just itching to try on all the "features".

Well, generally, we are not converting C code to C++ code. If it ain't broke,...
We are doing some new development in C++ and I did get wound around the axle a bit trying to use templates when apparently inheritance would do the job. (I am not yet entirely convinced that templates weren't the way to go, but budget and schedule trump all.)
Haggis_McMutton wrote:Also:
Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

These are good, as always. I should probably go directly to http://abstrusegoose.com myself.
thegreekdog wrote:This comic illustrates (pun intended) my second biggest problem with the United States.

Okay, I'll bite: what is your biggest problem with the United States?

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,