Conquer Club

[Abandoned] Phantasia Altitudinis

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[Abandoned] Phantasia Altitudinis

Postby koontz1973 on Fri May 17, 2013 12:45 pm

Image :D

Map Name:Coelus - Phantasia Altitudinis
Mapmaker(s):koontz1973
Number of Territories: 29 start - 16 neutral - 45 all together.
Special Features:auto deploys, winning condition, funny bonuses, bombardments, one way attacks
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made:Cannot go bigger, so I will go smaller. :D

show: story

Map Image:
Click image to enlarge.

show: gameplay notes

show: Previous Drafts
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Phantasia Altitudinis

Postby Seamus76 on Sat May 18, 2013 11:31 am

Very nice. I really like all of the little details, especially the waterfall, which I love. I'll get you some more constructive thoughts shortly though.
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

Postby RjBeals on Sun May 19, 2013 11:08 am

this look nice - sort of like a fantasy role playing map rather than risk map. Looking forward to seeing this progress
Private RjBeals

Postby koontz1973 on Sun May 19, 2013 11:51 am

Seamus76 wrote:Very nice. I really like all of the little details, especially the waterfall, which I love. I'll get you some more constructive thoughts shortly though.

RjBeals wrote:this look nice - sort of like a fantasy role playing map rather than risk map. Looking forward to seeing this progress

Thanks guys, still trying to sort out my bonus types. Not sure if I want to go typical or give it a non typical flavour to it.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Teflon Kris on Sun May 19, 2013 8:42 pm

Looking good - you know I'm gonna want to create a spinning globe of the whole planet.

:D

Do the hills NE of Via need turning slightly?

I'm not sure what the decay symbols are?

Is there just one brown tower?

Great-looking map.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby koontz1973 on Sun May 19, 2013 11:58 pm

DJ Teflon wrote:Looking good - you know I'm gonna want to create a spinning globe of the whole planet.

That is what my plan was. I had planned a couple of new maps and do the equator regions. Vertex at the top and Austrum at the bottom. But the sizing was wrong and they have gone onto the drawing board again till I can figure that out.
DJ Teflon wrote:Do the hills NE of Via need turning slightly?

I see what you mean with those ones. Will turn.
DJ Teflon wrote:I'm not sure what the decay symbols are?

Destroyed castles.
DJ Teflon wrote:Is there just one brown tower?

Yes, for now.
DJ Teflon wrote:Great-looking map.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Thanks.

It might help if I tell the story behind this one then. Lord Corelio is the ruler of a beaten land. The three fallen castles where once the kings of this part of the realm. The difference in colours between the grey towers and castle and the brown tower and buildings are to symbolise the difference between oppressed and oppressor. So the map should be able to be played two ways when I figure out the mechanics. Ruler or rebel. This is why it is in ideas and not drafts. I needed to get some help with mechanics.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon May 20, 2013 1:38 pm

I think it definitely has some potential, minus the 'winning consitions' and 'auto seploys'. D's in that legend font are half nightmarish. But it is still readable. But, I mean, still. ;) Keep it up.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby charmir on Mon May 20, 2013 3:42 pm

very nice, it would nice to be able to create a safe spot to establish a strong hold. Is it going to be set rates.
Sergeant charmir

Postby koontz1973 on Mon May 20, 2013 11:46 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:I think it definitely has some potential, minus the 'winning consitions' and 'auto seploys'. D's in that legend font are half nightmarish. But it is still readable. But, I mean, still. ;) Keep it up.

--Andy

Thanks Andy, I understand about the font and will look at it this week.
charmir wrote:very nice, it would nice to be able to create a safe spot to establish a strong hold. Is it going to be set rates.

Safes pots can be added. But not to safe. What do you mean by set rates? Normal reinforcements?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby fixitman4 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:34 pm

interesting
Private 1st Class fixitman4

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:17 am

fixitman4 wrote:interesting

I think so. One day I will post the completed map. But it is a tad larger than this one.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Teflon Kris on Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:21 pm

Would be cool if the sea were the same shade as in Vertex/Austrum - maybe even a token boat? ;-)
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:13 pm

DJ Teflon wrote:Would be cool if the sea were the same shade as in Vertex/Austrum - maybe even a token boat? ;-)

Can be done.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Bruceswar on Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:13 am

This looks like a good start. I will be watching this one. :)
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:24 pm

Thanks Bruce, just waiting for my plate to clear before pushing ahead with this one.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Seamus76 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:18 am

koontz1973 wrote:Thanks Bruce, just waiting for my plate to clear before pushing ahead with this one.

Aren't we all. :D
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:22 pm

Seamus76 wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:Thanks Bruce, just waiting for my plate to clear before pushing ahead with this one.

Aren't we all. :D

Embrace the gorging, koontz. Dig your face into your place.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Re: Phantasia Altitudinis [25/8] Page 1/2 Drafting room plea

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:56 am

Thanks to everyone for your patience. Lets see where this one takes up then. Small updates made, mainly to graphics but a couple of GP tweaks.
Version 2.
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Aleena on Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:37 pm

Because of the coastal shading - the land seems to be flying over the water (or map) - not actually part of it...

Love the trees (even though you only seem to have one type) - but when you group them together as a forest - you seem to chop off all the stumps... wood look nicer - if the lowest range of trees with all the forests still have their trunks

water is a little flat - but guess it's ok since it's being used for the legend and you want to insure the legend is easily read...

Like the villages and the brown tower - but the grey castle seems to be dropped on like clip art - maybe a little shadowing by the base... (same thing with pasco and velie's huts..)

Like the wetlands near the coast and the farms around the border near the top and left side.... But the Farmland near mines (center of map) does not seem to have the same style or even the same slanted direction or feel as the rest of the map - these farmlands seem a little off...
Private 1st Class Aleena

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:11 pm

Aleena wrote:Because of the coastal shading - the land seems to be flying over the water (or map) - not actually part of it...

On my todo list to swap out the colours.
Aleena wrote:Love the trees (even though you only seem to have one type) - but when you group them together as a forest - you seem to chop off all the stumps... wood look nicer - if the lowest range of trees with all the forests still have their trunks

All the trees have thier trunks, just need to look closer. As for the one type, I have four different types of tree on the map.
Aleena wrote:Like the villages and the brown tower - but the grey castle seems to be dropped on like clip art - maybe a little shadowing by the base... (same thing with pasco and velie's huts..)

None of the map has shading on it. That will come (if it does) at a later date when gameplay is more final and graphics will need less of a change around. But none of the buildings (towers, castle, ruins, farms) are clip art.
Aleena wrote:Like the wetlands near the coast and the farms around the border near the top and left side.... But the Farmland near mines (center of map) does not seem to have the same style or even the same slanted direction or feel as the rest of the map - these farmlands seem a little off...

I understand this point, will look into slanting it in the other direction. As for the style of farmland, farms all grow different things and in different ways so the look will stay the same.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Aleena on Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:02 pm

Yes, your right the forest trees do have trunks, just hard to see... maybe every other one make darker... Sort of like this:
Click image to enlarge.

though even with my quick adjustment it seems lighter then I expected...
probably because of the shading - oh wait you have not done any shading yet... must be the darker grass that blends the trunks out..

just my opinion feel free to see what others think....

You have four different types of trees? I only see the one type with like a green ball top... I must be missing them.... If you mean the forests - well that is basically just blends of greens now, no actual trees stand out... I was referring to the spruce trees that litter the country side...

Did not think any was clip art - just that they look that way - sort of just sits on the map and does not seem to fit - but since you have not done your shading yet... I'm sure this issue will be fixed later on...
Private 1st Class Aleena

Re: Phantasia Altitudinis [25/8] Page 1/2

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:56 am

Fixed the shading problem on the buildings and also added to all the individual trees as well.
Swapped out the seas glow.
Made some trunks darker (not sure why but done anyway).
Fixed some text.
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Phantasia Altitudinis [26/8] Page 1/2

Postby Aleena on Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:24 am

ty and sorry about the extra effort on the forests...

for they still really are not that visible except for the ones in the tiny forest by Twins Duo - those ones I see well..
Not 100% sure why they are not that visible - think it's due to the darker ground - for all you sprucely layout out trees look great.... Well, guess there is no go fix to this issue and if no one else has an issue with it, then I'd just leave it alone....

In the most part it is a very attractive map...
Private 1st Class Aleena

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:55 am

Remember, the forests, when looking at them from distance, individual trunks are not really visible anyway. Also, looked at the central farm area as well. No go on swapping them out. Looks weird the other way considering they go the same way as the other farm land.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby cairnswk on Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:57 am

koontz, nice start :)
just something i noticed on the graphic side...
if you've got marshland on the coast...should there be an edge to the coastline there...the terrain would dip to the sealine wouldn't it?
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Next

Return to Recycling Box