Conquer Club

[GO] New Initial Deployment - Conquest

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Do you support the Conquest game option?

Yes
51%
No
41%
Yes, with restrictions.
8%

Total votes : 51

Re: New Initial Deployment - Conquest

Postby DoomYoshi on Mon May 20, 2013 2:05 pm

Well, we are acting as if balance is a huge issue. Computers can deal with multivariate calculations easier than I can type.

How about this:

Computer selects 1 Random Territory; red gets that territory. Then the computer quickly does some of the calculations to scatter the other players as far away as possible. This will mean the programmer will at least need some idea of topological math, but we could always recruit out-of-house if necessary.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon May 20, 2013 3:11 pm

Random or far away is not a good system. Maps have been built considering the drop, the bonuses and the number of regions. (not all cases, but mostly)
And yes, balance is a huge issue imo.

Click image to enlarge.
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby greenoaks on Mon May 20, 2013 5:37 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:Add an option to do something we can already do with maps? :-k
For what I can read in this thread, specially the latest agantcom's post, it seems a huge amount of work, high risk of mistakes and a long period to balance the option.
Imo too much for something we can already do balancing the map, while developing it.

I like greenoaks and mostly all his suggestions but this one is probably the weakest one to my eyes. (sorry O:) )
I prefer to have maps developed exactly for the conquest style instead of having it as an option.

Nobodies

P.s. On a similar note, a conquest/mission mode, with dedicated maps, is something that intrigues me more....

my feelings aren't hurt :lol:

this setting reminds me of my favourite pc game, Civ.

you start with 1 small village and there might be someone nearby, there might not. you just have to explore the fog if you want to conquer the world.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed May 22, 2013 7:15 am

Crazily enough, I really want this for standard Conquest maps, because I hate playing and starting with 5 castles in Clandemonium or with 8 buildings in City Mogul.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Fazeem on Wed May 22, 2013 2:59 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:Crazily enough, I really want this for standard Conquest maps, because I hate playing and starting with 5 castles in Clandemonium or with 8 buildings in City Mogul.

LOL Clandemonium and Hive are the 2 maps that inspired me most for the original suggestion.
Lieutenant Fazeem

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu May 23, 2013 2:46 pm

I would play it with both. In all honesty, I would probably switch almost exclusively to this setting for casual games.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Fazeem on Thu May 23, 2013 10:17 pm

You know it honestly shocks me when people argue and vote against having additional option available to play. Sorry had to randomly insert that after reading some posts and looking at the vote.
Lieutenant Fazeem

Postby greenoaks on Fri May 24, 2013 1:12 am

Fazeem wrote:You know it honestly shocks me when people argue and vote against having additional option available to play. Sorry had to randomly insert that after reading some posts and looking at the vote.

too many options makes games hard to fill as it spreads us too thin. only the best should be implemented. ;)

not only is this suggestion an awesome game changing, strategy changing option, it doubles our maps without doubling them.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby andyf23 on Fri May 24, 2013 4:42 am

I support this completely. It opens up a complete new experience as trench did when introduced to the site. I think it's quite simple for those people who don't like it then don't play it like greenoaks said it's an option for new gameplay. Although I imagine that everyone who is against it would have a change of heart once a conquest medal is introduced :roll:
Sergeant 1st Class andyf23

Postby kuma32478 on Fri May 24, 2013 11:06 am

I like it and I'd play it
Private 1st Class kuma32478

Postby Fazeem on Wed May 29, 2013 1:46 pm

greenoaks wrote:
Fazeem wrote:You know it honestly shocks me when people argue and vote against having additional option available to play. Sorry had to randomly insert that after reading some posts and looking at the vote.

too many options makes games hard to fill as it spreads us too thin. only the best should be implemented. ;)

not only is this suggestion an awesome game changing, strategy changing option, it doubles our maps without doubling them.

I disagree with he 1st part and agree with the 2nd. The more options the more people are likely to play and join games as it is the stagnation on the site that I feel kills it here. I have both a friend and younger sibling who just do not play here anymore as they do not like creating games and get tired of the same 50 games with the same crap options plus both rather play me in person so as to not have to wait for others to finish a game. But I do agree that this feature would create a whole new playing field and make some maps more enjoyable to many of us who avoid them currently. I am a firm believer in let the people choose and not be limited in their options lol.
Lieutenant Fazeem

Postby Fazeem on Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:43 am

this idea needs some site feedback Please?
Lieutenant Fazeem

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:01 pm

Have you taken into consideration dice... If you start with 1 and only 1, dice might shaft you. I know on maps like AOR and Kings Court, bad dice in the first few rounds leaves you behind.

Also, what if you get dropped next to your opponent? He goes first. The person would just attack you to eliminate you, game over. Where is the fun in that?
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby greenoaks on Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:39 pm

Jdsizzleslice wrote:Have you taken into consideration dice... If you start with 1 and only 1, dice might shaft you. I know on maps like AOR and Kings Court, bad dice in the first few rounds leaves you behind.
those 2 maps already are Conquest maps and are some of the most popular maps played.

Jdsizzleslice wrote:Also, what if you get dropped next to your opponent? He goes first. The person would just attack you to eliminate you, game over. Where is the fun in that?

if you are unsure of whether this would be fun, run a search on Doodle Earth
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby TheForgivenOne on Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:50 pm

greenoaks wrote:
Jdsizzleslice wrote:Also, what if you get dropped next to your opponent? He goes first. The person would just attack you to eliminate you, game over. Where is the fun in that?

I think what he's trying to say is, this could happen on almost any map. And 1v1 on Doodle, you can't be eliminated turn 1 (Well, barring a cook getting perfect dice as he suicides each roll). With this setting, it could happen turn 1 on 90% of CC maps. Not saying the percentages are high, but it's bound to happen as more players are in the game.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:51 pm

TheForgivenOne wrote:
greenoaks wrote:

I think what he's trying to say is, this could happen on almost any map. And 1v1 on Doodle, you can't be eliminated turn 1 (Well, barring a cook getting perfect dice as he suicides each roll). With this setting, it could happen turn 1 on 90% of CC maps. Not saying the percentages are high, but it's bound to happen as more players are in the game.

Thank you for the correct interpretation.
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby greenoaks on Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:37 pm

TheForgivenOne wrote:
greenoaks wrote:

i was aware of the point he was making - it has already been discussed.

as i kindly pointed out we already have that situation with Doodle Earth and it is VERY popular. people join those games knowing full well being eliminated before they take their first turn is a possibility.

what we'd like to do is bring the Realms or Feudal game-style to all maps (even though a R1 elimination is a possibility). the way we currently play maps will change. this change will breathe new life into all of those maps.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Fazeem on Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:37 pm

greenoaks wrote:
TheForgivenOne wrote:
greenoaks wrote:

as i kindly pointed out we already have that situation with Doodle Earth and it is VERY popular. people join those games knowing full well being eliminated before they take their first turn is a possibility.

what we'd like to do is bring the Realms or Feudal game-style to all maps (even though a R1 elimination is a possibility). the way we currently play maps will change. this change will breathe new life into all of those maps.

Bravisimo well said.
Lieutenant Fazeem

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:46 pm

greenoaks wrote:
TheForgivenOne wrote:
greenoaks wrote:

Why would you want to take away from the actual game itself though...
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby NoSurvivors on Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:55 pm

I think I'm gonna try this with my dad as we both play risk.. And see how it plays out.
Colonel NoSurvivors

Postby greenoaks on Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:05 pm

NoSurvivors wrote:I think I'm gonna try this with my dad as we both play risk.. And see how it plays out.

as great as it might be to play it at home, here we can do so with FoW.

has anyone played the Poker map with fog? you know the enemy is out there but you don't know where. imagine that uncertainty on every map.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:25 pm

greenoaks wrote:
NoSurvivors wrote:I think I'm gonna try this with my dad as we both play risk.. And see how it plays out.

as great as it might be to play it at home, here we can do so with FoW.

has anyone played the Poker map with fog? you know the enemy is out there but you don't know where. imagine that uncertainty on every map.

Is there any other way to play that map? It is a fun game. Except there are only a few different spots they can be and if they have a bonus you can narrow it down pretty quickly.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Beko the Great on Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:14 am

I voted no, because this would imply to re-code a great amount of maps to make things fair.

If deployments were random, it could happen a player starting at the side of the other... The player that starts has almost 77% chance of winning, it's a russian roulette and it has no strategy at all.
Even solving this problem by coding starting positions, I guess a lot of maps would be pretty unbalanced as well.
Major Beko the Great

Postby greenoaks on Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:26 am

Beko the Great wrote:I voted no, because this would imply to re-code a great amount of maps to make things fair.

If deployments were random, it could happen a player starting at the side of the other... The player that starts has almost 77% chance of winning, it's a russian roulette and it has no strategy at all.
Even solving this problem by coding starting positions, I guess a lot of maps would be pretty unbalanced as well.

i don't understand your concern. it is 1 territory.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Fazeem on Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:21 pm

Beko the Great wrote:I voted no, because this would imply to re-code a great amount of maps to make things fair.

why vote no to more options why not just play different options and let those who like it play on the maps and options they like? Voting yes would have 0 impact on you unless you choose to play the new game type.
Lieutenant Fazeem

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions