Conquer Club

Philadelphia [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Philadelphia: BETA - image/xml updates

Postby cooldeals on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:25 pm

Besides the obvious changes to make the map more visibly readable and attractive, have you thought of getting rid of the bridge terts completely? You can even leave them named and the graphics the same but what if each region that connected to a bridge just connected to the liberty bell instead? That would make the liberty bell worth using and eliminate going verse a 2,3,2 (with a killer neutral in the middle) to get somewhere.

Take a look at the New Jersey map that was recently quenched. It's actually a fairly similar map. The killer neutrals there help connect the map from top to bottom for people who might get eliminated from an area at a cheaper cost of going through a single killer neutral 2. It's also more readable. I say keep the underdog bonus to make this map unique if you want, but make it more visually attractive (I've seen better looking graffiti, pun intended) and make the bridges and bell useable which take up a significant portion of the graphic. It just doesn't make sense to me for any gametype at this point. I mean imagine a trench game with the liberty bell....3 turns to attack someone through it.
Colonel cooldeals

Postby Bruceswar on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:29 am

Bruceswar wrote:The green, orange and pink are still very hard to read if you ask me.

Anybody else?
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Leehar on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:25 pm

Bruceswar wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:The green, orange and pink are still very hard to read if you ask me.

Anybody else?

Agreed, was gonna pop in to mention, and the orange is still particularly blended in with the new version as well.

Also, Oak Lane and Olney border gets a bit invisible around where the brick joining is. Can that border line be moved up a bit instead of being somewhat hidden?
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby ManBungalow on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:39 pm

I find the colours a little too intense.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby RedBaron0 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:49 pm

crap my bad, works been kicking my ass lately and I didn't even notice...

I've made some additional changes to address the bridges and the killer neutral. I'm taking the neutral start off the Walt Whitman, and the Tacony-Palmayra Bridges. The Betsy Ross and Ben Franklin will remain neutral to start, but only at 1. The killer neutral will be dropped to just 2.

I would have taken all the neutrals off, save the killer, but if I did that the territory count pool would be at 46 which is a bad split for 2 and 3 player games. (15 territories)

Should the current colors continue to make issues, I'll look to add army circles/ovals.

Link to thread: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=121613
Link to large image: http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc12 ... d2ae24.png
Link to small image: http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc12 ... 6b5ec7.png
Link to an image with neutrals and starting positions: http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc12 ... 1de07a.jpg
XML: http://www.fileden.com/files/2012/12/28 ... lyxml5.xml
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:11 pm

RedBaron0 wrote:crap my bad, works been kicking my ass lately and I didn't even notice...

I've made some additional changes to address the bridges and the killer neutral. I'm taking the neutral start off the Walt Whitman, and the Tacony-Palmayra Bridges. The Betsy Ross and Ben Franklin will remain neutral to start, but only at 1. The killer neutral will be dropped to just 2.

I would have taken all the neutrals off, save the killer, but if I did that the territory count pool would be at 46 which is a bad split for 2 and 3 player games. (15 territories)

Should the current colors continue to make issues, I'll look to add army circles/ovals.

Link to thread: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=121613
Link to large image: http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc12 ... d2ae24.png
Link to small image: http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc12 ... 6b5ec7.png
Link to an image with neutrals and starting positions: http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc12 ... 1de07a.jpg
XML: http://www.fileden.com/files/2012/12/28 ... lyxml5.xml

Files have been sent! :)

Nobodies

P.s. if players continue to have issues with colors you should consider to add circles or something like that.
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Re: Philadelphia: BETA - image/xml updates - 3/13

Postby ManBungalow on Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:22 pm

I had a little bit of trouble with the University City <-> Gray's Ferry connection on the main map. Could you flip that arrow vertically (eg. it's oriented the way I'd like in the inset) ?

EDIT: those regions don't connect, but it kinda looks like they do. At least on the small map.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby RedBaron0 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:31 pm

RedBaron0 wrote:Should the current colors continue to make issues, I'll look to add army circles/ovals.

I'm a step ahead of you there tnb. ;)

I'll take care of the arrow, Man.
ImageImage

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:54 pm

Updated! :)
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby RedBaron0 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:48 pm

Just the arrow then? No color blending issues???
ImageImage

Postby perchorin on Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:01 pm

Not sure if anyone's noticed this, or perhaps it's intentional for some reason, but the map legend states "The Liberty Bell reverts to 3 neutral" but I've just started a game on this map and the Liberty Bell is only 2 neutral in the first place. Confusing.
Silvanus wrote:perch is a North Korean agent to infiltrate south Korean girls
Major perchorin

Postby TheTrueNorth on Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:40 am

4th game on this map, sorry but liking it less & less each time. Just too difficult to read. Game play isn't bad but there can be too many neutrals to run through ( bridges & bell) & the under dog bonus is new. unless the color is rethought I'll be staying away from it.
Private 1st Class TheTrueNorth

Re: Philadelphia: BETA - image/xml updates - 4/17

Postby RedBaron0 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:52 pm

Large:
Click image to enlarge.

Image size: 900x800

Small:
Click image to enlarge.

Image size: 699x622

Link to large image: http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc12 ... 5b82b6.png
Link to small image: http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc12 ... e996fc.png

Fixed the arrow, added army ovals, and changed the 3 to a 2 on the maps.

Oh and map description:

This map represents the fighting spirit of the City of Brotherly Love: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The regions are sections of incorporated Philadelphia County. While each section has its own name all these areas have their own history and personality, but make no mistake they all come together to make the -CITY- of Philadelphia. The gameplay is pretty straight forward with 46 classic style territories and one killer neutral territory that allows swifter and pinpoint access north and south via the bridges across the Delaware River. The bonus structure is also classic in nature for the most part save 2 exceptions: the first is a collection bonus for the bridges across the Delaware, +2 for 3 bridges, and +3 for all 4 bridges. The second bonus exception is the most unique, called the "Underdog Bonus" for the underdog mentality well know in the blue collar city of Philadelphia. When you drop under 4 regions left on the board you will receive a bonus based on how many regions you have left: +1 for 3 regions, +2 for 2 regions, and +4 for just 1 region. You will always have a chance to win a game on this map, no matter how far behind you get!
ImageImage

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:52 pm

Sorry :oops: ! The files have now been sent!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby JustCallMeStupid on Tue May 21, 2013 5:49 pm

First game on this map and I dont understand the river connections graphically speaking from Pennypack to Penns landing in the teal area. I mean the territories arent even connected and it doesnt make sense to me logically and confuses me. Same thing with Foxchase to Pennsport the graphic of the river part makes it confusing to me.

Now I am not sure how geographically correct the map is supposed to be but the border and bonus structure could be modified for balance issues. If the bridge from tacony was instead connected to Holmesburg it would make the NE bonus a little bit harder to hold and when trying to expand from that NE bonus area one would have to leave behind defenses on Holmesburg. Currently one can advance all to Tacony and still hold NE bonus. THen they can eventually take Frankford bonus area and easily defend it with only 3 borders AND 2 of the borders defend each other, Tacony and Wissinoming.

The map looks pretty cool. I must say it is a little bit confusing and intimidating at first. Hopefully that top suggestion makes it less confusing.
Major JustCallMeStupid

Postby RedBaron0 on Sat May 25, 2013 10:40 pm

JustCallMeStupid wrote:First game on this map and I dont understand the river connections graphically speaking from Pennypack to Penns landing in the teal area. I mean the territories arent even connected and it doesnt make sense to me logically and confuses me. Same thing with Foxchase to Pennsport the graphic of the river part makes it confusing to me.

Now I am not sure how geographically correct the map is supposed to be but the border and bonus structure could be modified for balance issues. If the bridge from tacony was instead connected to Holmesburg it would make the NE bonus a little bit harder to hold and when trying to expand from that NE bonus area one would have to leave behind defenses on Holmesburg. Currently one can advance all to Tacony and still hold NE bonus. Then they can eventually take Frankford bonus area and easily defend it with only 3 borders AND 2 of the borders defend each other, Tacony and Wissinoming.

The map looks pretty cool. I must say it is a little bit confusing and intimidating at first. Hopefully that top suggestion makes it less confusing.

Huh? Pennypack and Penn's Landing don't connect, same with Fox Chase and Pennsport. And Tacony and Holmsburg DO connect. You need to defend both Fox Chase and Tacony to hold the NE. And you'd have to defend Fox Chase, Wissinoming, AND Tacony to hold +5 for both the NE and Frankford.
ImageImage

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:16 am

Last Call

If anyone has any other comments on tweaking the gameplay/graphics, now is the time to speak up! If there are no other concerns within the next few days, this map will be quenched!

isaiah40
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:48 am

Quenching

---The Beta period has concluded for the Philadelphia Map. All objections have had their time. The Foundry and I hereby brand this map with the Foundry Brand. Let it be known that this map is now ready to be released into live play.

Congratulations RedBaron0, your shiny new medal is well-earned =D>

Conquer Club, enjoy!

isaiah40
Lieutenant isaiah40

Re: Philadelphia [Quenched]

Postby oradej on Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:20 pm

No objections per se, and I don't know anything about the mapmaking/foundry process here, but in Game 13326601, with Trench settings, I was able to attack into and subsequently attack from (which shouldn't be possible when playing Trench) Manayunk, Tacony, and Pennypack in the same turns, respectively.

2013-09-09 17:45:52 - oradej assaulted Manayunk from Fairmount Park and conquered it from padsta
2013-09-09 17:46:02 - oradej assaulted Roxborough from Manayunk and conquered it from padsta

2013-09-10 15:59:13 - oradej assaulted Tacony from Tacony-Palmyra Bridge and conquered it from padsta
2013-09-10 15:59:53 - oradej assaulted Holmesburg from Tacony and conquered it from padsta
2013-09-10 16:00:06 - oradej assaulted Bridesburg from Tacony and conquered it from padsta
2013-09-10 16:00:09 - oradej assaulted Mayfair from Tacony and conquered it from padsta
2013-09-10 16:00:14 - oradej assaulted Wissinoming from Tacony and conquered it from neutral player

2013-09-10 16:18:05 - oradej assaulted Pennypack from Holmesburg and conquered it from padsta
2013-09-10 16:18:15 - oradej assaulted Woodhaven from Pennypack and conquered it from neutral player

I know the map is out of Beta mode, but it seems those are some glitches that made it into the code unnoticed. I did a quick search and it doesn't seem like that problem was raised before. Just thought I'd share my findings.
insert signature here
Lieutenant oradej

Postby Gilligan on Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:38 pm

oradej wrote:No objections per se, and I don't know anything about the mapmaking/foundry process here, but in Game 13326601, with Trench settings, I was able to attack into and subsequently attack from (which shouldn't be possible when playing Trench) Manayunk, Tacony, and Pennypack in the same turns, respectively.

2013-09-09 17:45:52 - oradej assaulted Manayunk from Fairmount Park and conquered it from padsta
2013-09-09 17:46:02 - oradej assaulted Roxborough from Manayunk and conquered it from padsta

2013-09-10 15:59:13 - oradej assaulted Tacony from Tacony-Palmyra Bridge and conquered it from padsta
2013-09-10 15:59:53 - oradej assaulted Holmesburg from Tacony and conquered it from padsta
2013-09-10 16:00:06 - oradej assaulted Bridesburg from Tacony and conquered it from padsta
2013-09-10 16:00:09 - oradej assaulted Mayfair from Tacony and conquered it from padsta
2013-09-10 16:00:14 - oradej assaulted Wissinoming from Tacony and conquered it from neutral player

2013-09-10 16:18:05 - oradej assaulted Pennypack from Holmesburg and conquered it from padsta
2013-09-10 16:18:15 - oradej assaulted Woodhaven from Pennypack and conquered it from neutral player

I know the map is out of Beta mode, but it seems those are some glitches that made it into the code unnoticed. I did a quick search and it doesn't seem like that problem was raised before. Just thought I'd share my findings.

This is a site bug, not a map bug
Captain Gilligan

Postby oradej on Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:36 am

Sooounds good haha. Like I said, I don't know anything about the mapmaking process, just figured because the Trench feature was working on every other territory/map I'm playing right now, it was specific to those regions on the Philly map.
insert signature here
Lieutenant oradej

Postby Gilligan on Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:40 am

oradej wrote:Sooounds good haha. Like I said, I don't know anything about the mapmaking process, just figured because the Trench feature was working on every other territory/map I'm playing right now, it was specific to those regions on the Philly map.

Maps can't have special trench features. The only exception to trench is that you can attack through killer neutrals.
Captain Gilligan

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:29 pm

It's odd that the map doesn't explain the underdog feature.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Gilligan on Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:13 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:It's odd that the map doesn't explain the underdog feature.

I...can see it on both sides?
Captain Gilligan

Philadelphia map

Postby ben79 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:20 pm

This is my fourth time writing in the map foundry forums, everytime it was for the same reasons : the colours on the map between different regions. Just played philadelphia map, actually i just look at it and forfeit the game ( yeah you can accuse me of point dumping on this one ), could not see a thing.

Please be aware that almost 10% of the population is colorblind. Is it that hard to NOT put a blue region next to a purple ( or whatever color looks like blue ), same thing for brown and green, yellow and green etc ...
Lieutenant ben79

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas