Conquer Club

Yes, another one about dice

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Yes, another one about dice

Postby Lindax on Fri May 17, 2013 10:54 pm

Random or not, I don't give a f*ck, they suck. The amount of games I lost on this site because of bullshit dice is just ridiculous.

You know the feeling, you play every move perfect, the plan comes together, you're ready to strike and sweep the map.... kaboom!

27 vs 14 ends 3 vs 6, 53 vs 10 leaves you with 11, etc., etc.

And don't give me the bullshit that "you don't remember the good dice, you only remember the bad ones". FFS! If you play a decent game you never get the good ones. If you have 14 to take 20, you simply don't even try, even though that's when you might have gotten the good ones.

Unfucking random the dice and program it so that if you have double the amount of your opponent you win the fucking battle or something like that.

Bastards!

Lx
"Winning Solves Everything" - Graeko
Major Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Re: Yes, another one about dice

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat May 18, 2013 12:07 am

Lolz.

I always figure that the bigger the stack, the more that can go wrong. Another reason why not to play escalating I guess. Do you auto-assault by any chance?
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby HighlanderAttack on Sat May 18, 2013 5:24 am

Lindax wrote:Random or not, I don't give a f*ck, they suck. The amount of games I lost on this site because of bullshit dice is just ridiculous.

You know the feeling, you play every move perfect, the plan comes together, you're ready to strike and sweep the map.... kaboom!

And don't give me the bullshit that "you don't remember the good dice, you only remember the bad ones". FFS! If you play a decent game you never get the good ones. If you have 14 to take 20, you simply don't even try, even though that's when you might have gotten the good ones.

Unfucking random the dice and program it so that if you have double the amount of your opponent you win the fucking battle or something like that.

Bastards!

Lx

AMEN brother--Things changed about two years ago in my opinion. After countless heart breakers the love of this game was lost. Even after two months of no games my attempt to come back and play has been met with more heartbreakers and insane dice,
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
Lieutenant HighlanderAttack

Postby betiko on Sat May 18, 2013 7:23 am

Funkyterrance wrote:Lolz.

I always figure that the bigger the stack, the more that can go wrong. Another reason why not to play escalating I guess. Do you auto-assault by any chance?

Actually the bigger the stack, the better are the assault odds. But also the more dice battles..

But yeah, in 6-8 player escalating I try to have double troops on my target on each spot. Works almost all the time and when it doesn't I know the feeling. Now Lindax, you are focusing on your dice, but don t tell me you ve never benefited from someone screwing his sweep move, you play next and game is yours... It s not about trying a 14vs20 to even up your bad luck, it s about benefitting from someone else screwing up a sweep move..
Major betiko

Postby Lindax on Sat May 18, 2013 2:09 pm

betiko wrote:Now Lindax, you are focusing on your dice, but don t tell me you ve never benefited from someone screwing his sweep move, you play next and game is yours...

Yeah, I have benefited from somebody else's dice fucking up. :D

I know this whole discussion is useless and everybody has their own thought s about the dice. However, simply posting my rant in public yesterday made me feel a lot better. ;)

Lx
"Winning Solves Everything" - Graeko
Major Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby premio53 on Sat May 18, 2013 5:37 pm

The only question I have is what could the administrators do differently? Are there certain sites with dice generators that are proven to be more "random"? Is it even possible for real life computer generated dice? Instead of just complaining, what would be real suggestions or solutions to correct the perceived unrandom dice?
Lieutenant premio53

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat May 18, 2013 9:59 pm

betiko wrote:Actually the bigger the stack, the better are the assault odds. But also the more dice battles..

Right, but it makes me way less comfortable when myself and my opponent have equally big stacks as opposed to a nice spread across the board. I hate games that rely on one battle, probably why I don't like escalating. Bad dice hurt less when spread out over an entire game. :)

@ premio, I've suggested some pretty complex and convoluted ways to get the dice closer to "real" but most of them were kind of impractical and the real-ness probably would not be worth the effort. The thing about the atmospheric noise stuff is that it's a never ending supply of randomness since it's created by nature supposedly(lackattack's flatulence) which he is kind enough to continue to provide after leaving the site to new management.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby niMic on Sat May 18, 2013 10:18 pm

Lindax wrote:If you have 14 to take 20, you simply don't even try, even though that's when you might have gotten the good ones.

Of course you try. Particularly if the alternative is him having 23 to take your 14. Offensive dice is king.
Highest score: 3692
Highest rank: 17
General niMic

Postby HighlanderAttack on Sun May 19, 2013 7:50 pm

niMic wrote:
Lindax wrote:If you have 14 to take 20, you simply don't even try, even though that's when you might have gotten the good ones.

Of course you try. Particularly if the alternative is him having 23 to take your 14. Offensive dice is king.

I am sure Lindax is talking about an escalating game. You would not try 14v23 to screw up the 8 player esc game. If you tried that crap you would be called a bad name.

Postby niMic on Mon May 20, 2013 9:46 pm

Oh, okay. I only play teamgames, and most of those aren't escalating. Obviously no one would bank the game on a 14v20, that would be crazy time.
Highest score: 3692
Highest rank: 17
General niMic

Postby jefjef on Tue May 21, 2013 12:18 am

you don't remember the good dice, you only remember the bad ones.

I have had NOTHING to complain about my dice the last couple months. :)
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby Chariot of Fire on Wed May 22, 2013 1:46 pm

HighlanderAttack wrote:
Lindax wrote:Random or not, I don't give a f*ck, they suck. The amount of games I lost on this site because of bullshit dice is just ridiculous.

Bastards!

Lx

AMEN brother--Things changed about two years ago in my opinion. After countless heart breakers the love of this game was lost. Even after two months of no games my attempt to come back and play has been met with more heartbreakers and insane dice,

Yep, something sure did happen about that time. Don't know what they did but it definitely changed things (for the worse). Nowadays...get an early bonus, proceed to get shafted and lose more than your bonus is earning you. Get to the end of a game that is irrevocably lost and start to roll nothing but 5s & 6s (makes the dice stats look better you see). And don't get me started on 1s. When once upon a time a 4 would usually do the comfortably, now I find myself making sure I've a 6v1 to guarantee a card.

I guess it's the same for everyone of course, so in that respect it's equitable, but the notion of 'attacker's advantage' is a complete fallacy.
Highest position #5 (18 Nov 2010) General 4,380pts (11 Dec 2010)
Colonel Chariot of Fire

Postby Foxglove on Wed May 22, 2013 3:37 pm

Chariot of Fire wrote:I guess it's the same for everyone of course, so in that respect it's equitable, but the notion of 'attacker's advantage' is a complete fallacy.

Your 3v2 battle outcomes seem to indicate that you definitely kill more troops on offense than defense. Seems like an advantage to me!

(Unless I am totally misunderstanding how to interpret these numbers.)

Brigadier Foxglove

Postby Chariot of Fire on Wed May 22, 2013 3:53 pm

Oh, manage to isolate up my 2007-2011 stats did you?
Colonel Chariot of Fire

Postby Foxglove on Wed May 22, 2013 4:02 pm

Chariot of Fire wrote:Oh, manage to isolate up my 2007-2011 stats did you?

Ah, sorry. My comments were only directed toward your "'attacker's advantage' is a fallacy" comment. I didn't realize that you believe it did in fact exist from 2007-2011, and has ceased to exist since some time in 2011.
Brigadier Foxglove

Postby Chariot of Fire on Wed May 22, 2013 9:10 pm

No worries. And yes, I do believe that the advantage once held by the attacker is not as pronounced as it once had been. The old rule of thumb (add up all the armies of the terrs you plan to hit and add the number of terrs divided by 3) to calculate what size stack is required no longer seems to work very often. I see and experience far more failures than ever I used to.
Colonel Chariot of Fire

Postby Funkyterrance on Wed May 22, 2013 9:34 pm

A dice conspiracy theorist general? Now I've seen everything...
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Gillipig on Thu May 23, 2013 2:29 am

Bastards!

Lx

And yet there's no support for a "no dice" function. With so many dice haters on this site they should be flocking to a pure strategy, no luck function. Yet most seems to want the dice, they just don't want it to roll bad. Sorry but you can't have that, if you have a dice, you're going to draw the short straw sometimes.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby iAmCaffeine on Thu May 23, 2013 7:36 am

I honestly think it's a case of remembering the good and bad rolls. Of course everyone has genuinely lost a game because of the dice, but that works both ways. I remember losing 18v2 once, horrific. I've ranted about the dice many times, but I remember a couple of outstanding rolls as well. I have won 5v12, although granted it was too late, and just now won 15v15 with 13/14 left.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby boat4hire on Mon May 27, 2013 3:14 am

Yes they have changed for the worse. The whole game is not that much fun anymore. I am constantly let down by the dice. Cmon, how many time can the defender roll double sixes. I watch it happen all the time just like the last game I played. so disappointing
Cadet boat4hire

Postby boat4hire on Mon May 27, 2013 12:56 pm

Not only did the attacker advantage disappear a few years back but my attacking kill ratio is only so high because when I am getting my ass kicked and I just fight neutral to speed it up then I get all the 6's. the whole experience of CC has soured. I have personally bought more than a dozen premium memberships for friends let alone myself and recommended countless people to this site. Cant anymore though.
Cadet boat4hire

Postby jltile1 on Mon May 27, 2013 1:42 pm

Chariot of Fire wrote:No worries. And yes, I do believe that the advantage once held by the attacker is not as pronounced as it once had been. The old rule of thumb (add up all the armies of the terrs you plan to hit and add the number of terrs divided by 3) to calculate what size stack is required no longer seems to work very often. I see and experience far more failures than ever I used to.

I'm rather surprised to see your complaint about dice after you have destroyed any chance of us rolling anything great defense or offense. Your dice you have had in 2013 from at least what I have seen have been rather well. But on the flip side ( or my side ), Dice seem to have somehow favored to the side of the defender. I have as you were implying 5v1 and can't card on a regular basis. And speed games I think it is even worse for some reason. Just a thought
Major jltile1

Postby IanG7 on Mon May 27, 2013 2:27 pm

I played a version (Risk II for PC) where you're dice changed colour based on how many troops were in your army

for example

white dice for troops 1-5 (white dice prone to rolling more 1s)
yellow
orange
red
all the way up to black dice if your region had 30 or more troops (these had a much greater probability of rolling 6s)

Maybe CC could implement games where the dice worked like this, I know i'd like it?
Brigadier IanG7

Postby boat4hire on Mon May 27, 2013 8:23 pm

how in the hell do the defender dice roll 6 all the time and the stats say they don't. I watch it every game.
Cadet boat4hire

Postby HighlanderAttack on Thu May 30, 2013 7:58 am

iAmCaffeine wrote:I honestly think it's a case of remembering the good and bad rolls. Of course everyone has genuinely lost a game because of the dice, but that works both ways. I remember losing 18v2 once, horrific. I've ranted about the dice many times, but I remember a couple of outstanding rolls as well. I have won 5v12, although granted it was too late, and just now won 15v15 with 13/14 left.

the issue is not remembering the bad or even the good, but the issue is the insane dice that occur on a daily basis

Next

Return to Conquer Club Discussion