Conquer Club

Czecho Slovak Fragmentation [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Fragmentation of CSFR - change ot the neutrals? pg 39

Postby Gilligan on Fri May 24, 2013 10:37 pm

I like ian's: czecho-slovak fragmentation
Captain Gilligan

Re: Fragmentation of CSFR - name change, page 41

Postby Oneyed on Mon May 27, 2013 2:42 pm

Gilligan wrote:I like ian's: czecho-slovak fragmentation

yes sounds the best. "Czecho-Slovakia, fragmentation" sounds better to me because it has complet names of both countries in...
but if this is too complicated or comma in name is bad thing I agreed with ianĀ“s idea.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Re: Fragmentation of CSFR - change ot the neutrals? pg 39

Postby Dukasaur on Mon May 27, 2013 5:05 pm

Jippd wrote:
Oneyed wrote:this is good notice, ian and thanks for it :)

well, what about "Czecho-Slovakia, fragmentation"?

Oneyed

I don't think the title should have a comma in it.

Name change to me doesn't matter one way or another but I think it should be without the comma.

Could also do "Fragmentation of Czecho-Slovakia"

The latter doesn't answer iancanton's original objection, that people searching alphabetically will be looking under "C" for Czechoslovakia, not "F".

Oneyed wrote:
Gilligan wrote:I like ian's: czecho-slovak fragmentation

yes sounds the best. "Czecho-Slovakia, fragmentation" sounds better to me because it has complet names of both countries in...
but if this is too complicated or comma in name is bad thing I agreed with ianĀ“s idea.

Oneyed

I don't like either. It has become fashionable to hyphenate "Czecho-slovak" in the years since the breakup, but it was NEVER hyphenated while Czechoslovakia still existed.

Here, from the Wikimedia Commons, an example of a Czechoslovak passport, in Czech, Russian, French, and English:
Click image to enlarge.

Czechoslovak Fragmentation sounds perfectly adequate. No comma, no hyphen, no partridge in a pear tree. Just Czechoslovak Fragmentation.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Gilligan on Mon May 27, 2013 9:39 pm

I agree with the no comma, but I think that the hyphen makes sense. Of course, I don't live there, and don't know the general rule of thumb about it there. But since that they are separated now, it might help to separate with a hyphen here.
Captain Gilligan

Postby Oneyed on Tue May 28, 2013 2:41 am

the hyphen was (is) used in Slovak Republic. here is more about this problem:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyphen_War

Oneyed

PS: must be name written on the map the same as official name of the map or it could stay as it is now (on map)?
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby Dukasaur on Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 am

Oneyed wrote:the hyphen was (is) used in Slovak Republic. here is more about this problem:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyphen_War

Oneyed

PS: must be name written on the map the same as official name of the map or it could stay as it is now (on map)?

Very interesting. That is something I did not know. So it is all your fault....:P

And I am not a blue nametag, but I think there is no need to change the map. There are plenty of maps out there (Conquer Club in Space, War of the Triple Alliance, etc.) where only a short form of the name appears in the list but the map keeps the whole thing.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby betiko on Wed May 29, 2013 3:56 am

Looks wierd with a hyphen. Would look ok if it was czech-slovak, but that s the name of an ex country that i ve always seen written in 1 word.
Major betiko

Postby thenobodies80 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:59 pm

I think the map was updated with the latest file. Also it is now listed as Czecho Slovak Fragmentation per mapmaker request.

Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Re: Czecho Slovak Fragmentation - name change, page 41

Postby chapcrap on Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:57 pm

I saw the name change went through. :)

Here's a tournament for this map, if anyone is interested: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=191739
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby iancanton on Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:05 pm

i confirm that new games are starting with n3 on both praha and bratislava. so far, of the 15 completed games on this map that have used the new xml, starting from Game 12833388, both capitals were attacked successfully in 4 games, praha was the sole capital taken in 3 games and neither capital was occupied in 8 games. there were no games where bratislava was the sole capital taken.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Oneyed on Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:37 pm

iancanton wrote:i confirm that new games are starting with n3 on both praha and bratislava. so far, of the 15 completed games on this map that have used the new xml, starting from Game 12833388, both capitals were attacked successfully in 4 games, praha was the sole capital taken in 3 games and neither capital was occupied in 8 games. there were no games where bratislava was the sole capital taken.

thanks ian.
what does this mean for you. was it good change?

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:19 am

It plays really good now. I think it was a good change.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Oneyed on Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:27 am

great. thanks Dukasaur :)

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby iancanton on Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:10 pm

players are often using the capitals now, instead of ignoring them, so that is certainly good.

i notice that players receive 4 troops for holding Kraje (CR), but -2 troops for holding Bratislava and (CR) Kraj (without an e on the end). did u deliberately use Kraj instead of Kraje?

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby melech14 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:01 pm

Oneyed: great map.
A couple of comments re the on-map instructions.
1) It may be better to switch the location of the SR and CR box (bottom left and top right) - since the instruction would then be closer to the area of the map; eg. CR instruction just below Czech Republic on map.
2) In the instruction at the bottom right, the rectangular Box titled REGION is a bit confusing since (I think) the term REGION is used in the CR and SR instruction as the coloured area which has 3 or 4 "towns" within.... so what is being called a REGION in the box at lower right is referred to as a "town" in the CR and SR instruction. Maybe the rectangular Box could be titled "________ town" to show that it is still a town but with special attack features.
Hope that makes sense.
Thanks for the game.
Sergeant melech14

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:43 pm

iancanton wrote:players are often using the capitals now, instead of ignoring them, so that is certainly good.

i notice that players receive 4 troops for holding Kraje (CR), but -2 troops for holding Bratislava and (CR) Kraj (without an e on the end). did u deliberately use Kraj instead of Kraje?

Oneye is on vacation for a week, but my guess is yes. Kraj is singular and Kraje is plural.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby iancanton on Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:22 pm

the bratislava text in the legend is -2 with every 2 kraje in the sr, with an e on the end.

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:36 am

iancanton wrote:the bratislava text in the legend is -2 with every 2 kraje in the sr, with an e on the end.

Yeah, that makes sense. 1 Kraj, or 2 Kraje. It would be the same as saying in English, "-2 with every 2 counties."
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Oneyed on Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:26 am

melech14 wrote:Oneyed: great map.

thank you.
melech14 wrote:1) It may be better to switch the location of the SR and CR box (bottom left and top right) - since the instruction would then be closer to the area of the map; eg. CR instruction just below Czech Republic on map.

there was this thought, but I left it as it is because space. and when you divide map on upper and lower part the legends are near "their" republics, I think.
melech14 wrote:2) In the instruction at the bottom right, the rectangular Box titled REGION is a bit confusing since (I think) the term REGION is used in the CR and SR instruction as the coloured area which has 3 or 4 "towns" within.... so what is being called a REGION in the box at lower right is referred to as a "town" in the CR and SR instruction. Maybe the rectangular Box could be titled "________ town" to show that it is still a town but with special attack features.

what is REGION (with rectangular box) is explained in lower right legend. in CR and SR instruction is explained what is Kraj. maybe I could change "Kraj - coloured area with REGION and 2/3 Towns inside its border". English is not my first language, so here I need any help.
melech14 wrote:Thanks for the game.

thank you for your comments. and thank you for playing :)

Dukasaur wrote:
iancanton wrote:the bratislava text in the legend is -2 with every 2 kraje in the sr, with an e on the end.

Yeah, that makes sense. 1 Kraj, or 2 Kraje. It would be the same as saying in English, "-2 with every 2 counties."

Dukasaur has it. kraj - singular (as county). kraje - plural (as counties).

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby chapcrap on Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:46 am

I haven't had any issues with the map or games I've played. I finished hosting a tournament and everything is going well.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby iancanton on Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:27 am

Oneyed wrote:
melech14 wrote:2) In the instruction at the bottom right, the rectangular Box titled REGION is a bit confusing since (I think) the term REGION is used in the CR and SR instruction as the coloured area which has 3 or 4 "towns" within.... so what is being called a REGION in the box at lower right is referred to as a "town" in the CR and SR instruction. Maybe the rectangular Box could be titled "________ town" to show that it is still a town but with special attack features.

what is REGION (with rectangular box) is explained in lower right legend. in CR and SR instruction is explained what is Kraj. maybe I could change "Kraj - coloured area with REGION and 2/3 Towns inside its border". English is not my first language, so here I need any help.

in the legend, replace region by land?

iancanton wrote:the bratislava text in the legend is -2 with every 2 kraje in the cr, with an e on the end.

from the log of Game 12979070: 2013-07-14 05:34:06 - RobNC17 received -2 troops for holding Bratislava and (CR) Kraj.

did u deliberately use Kraj in the xml, but Kraje in the legend?

chapcrap wrote:I haven't had any issues with the map or games I've played. I finished hosting a tournament and everything is going well.

update of results: of the 25 completed 1v1, auto-placement, sequential, escalating, chained, sunny, non-trench games on this map that have used the xml with n3 for the two capitals, starting from Game 12833388, both capitals were attacked successfully in 4 games, praha was the sole capital taken in 5 games, bratislava was the sole capital taken in 5 games and neither capital was occupied in 11 games. player 1 received a slovak kraj bonus once from the drop (4% of games). player 1 won 14 out of 25, so the map certainly passes the fairness test. the only thing "wrong" is thematic: in 16 games out of 25, praha is ignored and, in 16 games out of 25, bratislava is ignored, so the negative bonus is very rarely seen for these popular settings.

will reducing the praha and bratislava neutrals from n3 to n2 help the negative bonus to play a bigger part? should we risk damaging the successful tournament experience that chapcrap has had?

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Oneyed on Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:53 pm

iancanton wrote:in the legend, replace region by land?

sounds fine. you mean replace all names REGION with LAND?
iancanton wrote:did u deliberately use Kraj in the xml, but Kraje in the legend?

I did not make xml. I am looking at xml and for positive bonus in CR is used Kraje. but for negative bonus (hold every 2 Kraje in CR with Bratislava) is used Kraj. maybe here is problem?
iancanton wrote:will reducing the praha and bratislava neutrals from n3 to n2 help the negative bonus to play a bigger part? should we risk damaging the successful tournament experience that chapcrap has had?

I think we should risk this. I like the idea :)

thanks ian.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby iancanton on Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:54 pm

Oneyed wrote:
iancanton wrote:in the legend, replace region by land?

sounds fine. you mean replace all names REGION with LAND?

exactly!

Oneyed wrote:
iancanton wrote:did u deliberately use Kraj in the xml, but Kraje in the legend?

I did not make xml. I am looking at xml and for positive bonus in CR is used Kraje. but for negative bonus (hold every 2 Kraje in CR with Bratislava) is used Kraj. maybe here is problem?

yes, they're different from each other.

Oneyed wrote:
iancanton wrote:will reducing the praha and bratislava neutrals from n3 to n2 help the negative bonus to play a bigger part? should we risk damaging the successful tournament experience that chapcrap has had?

I think we should risk this. I like the idea :)

u can do this at the same time as u fix the negative bonus in the xml.

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Re: Czecho Slovak Fragmentation - updated xml, page 42

Postby Oneyed on Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:06 am

here is updated xml. thanks ian for advices :)

last updated xml. Praha, Bratislava start n2 instead n3. corrected Kraje instead Kraj in Bratislava negative bonus.

Oneyed
Attachments
Fragmentation_of_CSFR.xml
(15.87 KiB) Downloaded 500 times
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Re: Czecho Slovak Fragmentation - updated xml, page 42

Postby V.J. on Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:44 am

This bonus doesn't work, I didn't get +1 Praha and 4 Towns (1)
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class V.J.

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas