Conquer Club

#GCCM - End Game - We have a Winner. ManBungalow

The arena for official Foundry competitions: the War of Art!

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

The winning map is?

Poll ended at Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:56 pm

Entry One
36%
Entry Two
19%
Entry Three
21%
Entry Four
12%
Entry Five
11%

Total votes : 341

#GCCM - End Game - We have a Winner. ManBungalow

Postby koontz1973 on Mon May 20, 2013 5:22 am

After the one week of voting, the three groups are now tallied and we can declare the winner (provisional that is).

The three groups of votes went like this.
Public voting.
Map 1 - 36%
Map 2 - 19%
Map 3 - 21%
Map 4 - 12%
Map 5 - 11%

Moderator voting.
Map 1 - 43%
Map 2 - 29%
Map 3 - 21%
Map 4 - 4%
Map 5 - 4%

VIP voting.
Map 1 - 28%
Map 2 - 32%
Map 3 - 28%
Map 4 - 5%
Map 5 - 7%

Total votes.
Map 1 - 36%
Map 2 - 26%
Map 3 - 23%
Map 4 - 8%
Map 5 - 7%

Winner - Map One by ManBungalow.
Click image to enlarge.

Remember, this is not the end of the competition, but only the end of the beginning. Manbungalow will be given a clear shot in the foundry, as per foundry guidelines, all advice must now be taken into account and followed unless a reasonable rebuttal by the map maker of a cartographer can be given.

Good luck in the foundry ManB. Best of luck and congrats to you.

The other maps where produced by:
Map 2 - koontz1973
Map 3 - dakky21
Map 4 - Seamus76
Map 5 - jonofperu

Well done to all of them. I have sent you all a PM.

show: voting phase

show: original post
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: #GCCM - End Game

Postby dakky21 on Mon May 20, 2013 6:22 am

I like it! Will try to draw something cool!
Captain dakky21

Postby dakky21 on Mon May 20, 2013 11:03 am

BTW I think the winner of this contest should also be allowed to have his name on the map (as a territory)...
Captain dakky21

Postby koontz1973 on Mon May 20, 2013 12:13 pm

dakky21 wrote:BTW I think the winner of this contest should also be allowed to have his name on the map (as a territory)...

The map maker can name all the regions and bonuses as they see fit. It is their map and will follow all CC norms when it comes to maps. The only two names that must be on it is Dako and RjBeals. How you put them on is up to you. ;)
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby ManBungalow on Tue May 21, 2013 2:05 pm

How fleshed out should the graphics of the submitted image be?

I mean, the best map isn't necessarily the one with the prettiest colours. Especially given that it will be put through the graphics stage if it makes it into the foundry, which gives the gameplay very little chance to change.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby dakky21 on Tue May 21, 2013 6:04 pm

I have some sort of a BIG dragon in my mind, and if you hold his young dragons, he can attack a region few territories away.

Guess that is Contidional borders + Long range attacks.

Can I put that into map since you said only 1 thing can map maker add.
Captain dakky21

Postby koontz1973 on Tue May 21, 2013 11:39 pm

ManBungalow wrote:How fleshed out should the graphics of the submitted image be?

I mean, the best map isn't necessarily the one with the prettiest colours. Especially given that it will be put through the graphics stage if it makes it into the foundry, which gives the gameplay very little chance to change.

Rule one - Create an awesome piece of art using the map criteria above.

The closer you make the map to final quality the better. No one will vote for this:
show

when they can vote for this:
show

But you are right, the winning map will get time in the foundry to sort problems out, not time to make it. ;)
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby koontz1973 on Tue May 21, 2013 11:42 pm

dakky21 wrote:I have some sort of a BIG dragon in my mind, and if you hold his young dragons, he can attack a region few territories away.

Guess that is Contidional borders + Long range attacks.

Can I put that into map since you said only 1 thing can map maker add.

The three game play features are described above in the OP(Winning Condition, Auto Deploys, Bombardments). You as a map maker are allowed one more. So your two (conditional borders + long range attack) are considered as two and would disqualify your map.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby dakky21 on Wed May 22, 2013 9:14 am

koontz1973 wrote:The three game play features are described above in the OP(Winning Condition, Auto Deploys, Bombardments). You as a map maker are allowed one more. So your two (conditional borders + long range attack) are considered as two and would disqualify your map.

But dragons fly and threfore there is no long distance for them? If this is a fantasy world, such thing should be allowed per se (it shouldn't be counted as a special feature if the flying creatures are involved)
Captain dakky21

Postby koontz1973 on Wed May 22, 2013 11:03 am

dakky21 wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:The three game play features are described above in the OP(Winning Condition, Auto Deploys, Bombardments). You as a map maker are allowed one more. So your two (conditional borders + long range attack) are considered as two and would disqualify your map.

But dragons fly and threfore there is no long distance for them? If this is a fantasy world, such thing should be allowed per se (it shouldn't be counted as a special feature if the flying creatures are involved)

If you have a region on the map that can attack over other regions (long range) you are fine. If you wanted the long range attacks to have a conditional border with them, you are buggered. No matter how you word this, you are after two extra GP elements. The rules are very plain on this.

3+1, this is more than enough to give a good gameplay and not confuse the hell out of people. Remember, this map is for the community and the community includes new players all the time.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby ManBungalow on Wed May 22, 2013 11:09 am

What is Classic gameplay?

Anything but Conquest (eg. Feudal) ?
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby koontz1973 on Wed May 22, 2013 11:17 am

ManBungalow wrote:What is Classic gameplay?

Anything but Conquest (eg. Feudal) ?

The map has to have normal game play. So yes to your answer. No feudal maps. Random drops all over and no to starting positions. But their is a huge amount you can do with this. This was poll 3so if you look in the thread, a huge discussion was had over the different types of classic gameplay we already have.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Dillybarr on Thu May 23, 2013 1:23 pm

I'm excited to see what somebody comes up with. I only play on my phone and have no skills at this type of thing! Although I wish it was a small map :(
Cadet Dillybarr

Postby koontz1973 on Thu May 23, 2013 11:51 pm

Dillybarr wrote:I'm excited to see what somebody comes up with. I only play on my phone and have no skills at this type of thing! Although I wish it was a small map :(

As the map is within standard sizes only, I really hope you can play this.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Dillybarr on Fri May 24, 2013 7:29 pm

I can play all maps, just prefer small ones :D
Cadet Dillybarr

Postby ender516 on Fri May 24, 2013 7:41 pm

koontz1973 wrote:
dakky21 wrote:

If you have a region on the map that can attack over other regions (long range) you are fine. If you wanted the long range attacks to have a conditional border with them, you are buggered. No matter how you word this, you are after two extra GP elements. The rules are very plain on this.

3+1, this is more than enough to give a good gameplay and not confuse the hell out of people. Remember, this map is for the community and the community includes new players all the time.

What about conditional bombardments? In my experience, bombardments are often "long-range" (Duck and Cover). So adding the conditional feature might be only one artist-selected item, might it not?
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby dakky21 on Fri May 24, 2013 8:52 pm

ender516, as bombardments are required by community, I belive conditional borders/bombardments are that one thing a map maker can implement.
Captain dakky21

Postby koontz1973 on Fri May 24, 2013 11:27 pm

ender516 wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:
dakky21 wrote:

What about conditional bombardments? In my experience, bombardments are often "long-range" (Duck and Cover). So adding the conditional feature might be only one artist-selected item, might it not?

Adding a condition to the bombardments is allowed.But that would then be your one and only extra game play feature.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Falkomagno on Tue May 28, 2013 2:15 am

A map of game of thrones!

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
Sergeant Falkomagno

Location: Even in a rock or in a piece of wood. In sunsets often

Postby koontz1973 on Tue May 28, 2013 3:10 am

Cannot be done. GofT is not high fantasy and copyrights forbid it.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby ender516 on Tue May 28, 2013 12:18 pm

koontz1973 wrote:

Cannot be done. GofT is not high fantasy and copyrights forbid it.

Well, copyright might be negotiable, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The "not high fantasy" issue settles it, though (for this competition at least). If someone can talk George R. R. Martin into okaying a map, then they can get underway in the Foundry independent of this topic.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby dakky21 on Tue May 28, 2013 8:57 pm

koontz1973 wrote:Cannot be done. GofT is not high fantasy and copyrights forbid it.

Forget about copyrights for a second, GofT is considered Epic Fantasy which is a synonym for High Fantasy. On the other hand, this map is found all over Google, and is not Falkomagno's work.
Captain dakky21

Postby koontz1973 on Tue May 28, 2013 11:19 pm

dakky21 wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:Cannot be done. GofT is not high fantasy and copyrights forbid it.

Forget about copyrights for a second, GofT is considered Epic Fantasy which is a synonym for High Fantasy. On the other hand, this map is found all over Google, and is not Falkomagno's work.

GofT is not considered epic fantasy, but may be considered epic in scale, it is low fantasy. The books are based on a rational world which may be fictional but they are still bound by the same laws we are. This is one of the sticking points of fantasy, many areas cross over into others. And those maps like a lot of shows are fan made. No one can stop someone drawing a map, posting a map but we can be stopped playing on it. Just like the original classic map and the original middle earth map.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby dakky21 on Thu May 30, 2013 12:46 pm

Quick question btw: if a map isn't chosen as a winner, are we allowed to present the map in the drafting room and continue to work on it (this time without the requirements)?
Captain dakky21

Postby koontz1973 on Thu May 30, 2013 11:47 pm

dakky21 wrote:Quick question btw: if a map isn't chosen as a winner, are we allowed to present the map in the drafting room and continue to work on it (this time without the requirements)?

Yes and no.

Yes, you can carry on working on it, no to straight away.

If the winning map falters like PNG winning map did, second place will then become the winning map and be awarded all prizes. After that, third and forth place will be bumped up. I guarantee, in the end, we will get a map out of this.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Next

Return to Competitions