Conquer Club

Speed games automatically generated by CC

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Speed games automatically generated by CC

Postby D4 Damager on Fri May 31, 2013 3:25 pm

Concise description:
  • Speed games created automatically by the site

Specifics/Details:
  • They should be created one at a time, when the last one fills up the next one is generated
  • Should be placed somewhere obvious in Join A Game so that new recruits (and everyone else for that matter!) can easily find them
  • Classic map, 5 min turns would probably be best at least to begin with for ease of access

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
The great thing about this feature is that you know that whenever you log on, there will definitely be a game waiting. I can say from experience, this is quite an addictive feature, which I believe is what the site is trying to add more of :-) The only frustrating thing is when the games take a while to fill. This is not a blocker, however, because you can just drop the game in that case.
Colonel D4 Damager

Re: Speed games automatically generated by CC

Postby spiesr on Fri May 31, 2013 3:47 pm

It would have to include some method to automatically drop players after a certain time limit to avoid people signing up for it, forgetting, and deadbeating.
Captain spiesr

Postby maxfaraday on Fri May 31, 2013 5:06 pm

spiesr wrote:It would have to include some method to automatically drop players after a certain time limit to avoid people signing up for it, forgetting, and deadbeating.

Huh???
Isn't that already how it works with speed games?
To: maxfaraday

I have noted this post and if it continues, there will be consequences for you.
Sergeant 1st Class maxfaraday

Postby spiesr on Fri May 31, 2013 7:47 pm

maxfaraday wrote:
spiesr wrote:It would have to include some method to automatically drop players after a certain time limit to avoid people signing up for it, forgetting, and deadbeating.

Huh???
Currently the game is closed if it doesn't fill in a certain time, which I don't think you would want with this system.
Captain spiesr

Postby Metsfanmax on Fri May 31, 2013 8:25 pm

spiesr wrote:
maxfaraday wrote:

Huh???
Currently the game is closed if it doesn't fill in a certain time, which I don't think you would want with this system.

Yes, but there also is already a mechanism that drops you from any speed games you've joined after 15 minutes of inactivity.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby D4 Damager on Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:36 am

Metsfanmax wrote:
spiesr wrote:
maxfaraday wrote:

Huh???

Yes, but there also is already a mechanism that drops you from any speed games you've joined after 15 minutes of inactivity.

These are all good points. 15 minutes before kicking out would probably be too little, it takes a while to fill a 6-to-8-player game, but if you wait too long then the people that have joined forget or get impatient and end up deadbeating (although they could just drop the game, but apparently this is too difficult for some).

The way I have seen it done is that there is a fixed time until the game starts (30 mins, say) and then it starts with however many people have joined by then. So even if it is an 8-player and only four people have joined after 30 mins, a 4-player game is generated.
Colonel D4 Damager

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:27 am

D4 Damager wrote:The way I have seen it done is that there is a fixed time until the game starts (30 mins, say) and then it starts with however many people have joined by then. So even if it is an 8-player and only four people have joined after 30 mins, a 4-player game is generated.

This is an interesting thought...

I think I need a more concise description of the suggestion to really understand what you are thinking though. Do you mean speed games available for freemiums to join anytime they log on? If so, there may have to be a cap to how many of these you are allowed before you get "cut off" or else CC might be creating a golden goose.

The suggestion has merit though and may not even be a problem because it's not like premium when you can basically start as many speeders as you want right? There would only be one of these started every 30 minutes or whatever so there would still be ample motivation to get premium if you got addicted. :twisted: That is, as long as there are enough premium players around to fill your speeders.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby D4 Damager on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:50 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:This is an interesting thought...

I think I need a more concise description of the suggestion to really understand what you are thinking though. Do you mean speed games available for freemiums to join anytime they log on? If so, there may have to be a cap to how many of these you are allowed before you get "cut off" or else CC might be creating a golden goose.

The suggestion has merit though and may not even be a problem because it's not like premium when you can basically start as many speeders as you want right? There would only be one of these started every 30 minutes or whatever so there would still be ample motivation to get premium if you got addicted. :twisted: That is, as long as there are enough premium players around to fill your speeders.

I didn't really think about how freemiums could access this compared to premiums, I just thought it was a good idea in its own right. I suppose there's no reason why freemiums shouldn't play these, it would be a good way to introduce them to the excitement of CC and encourage them to join.
Colonel D4 Damager

Postby greenoaks on Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:18 pm

i don't see the point. if you want to play a Speed game and there isn't one waiting - create it.

having our coders spend valuable time writing a program to create games that can already be easily made if someone wanted to play them is a complete waste of resources.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby D4 Damager on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:30 pm

greenoaks wrote:i don't see the point. if you want to play a Speed game and there isn't one waiting - create it.

having our coders spend valuable time writing a program to create games that can already be easily made if someone wanted to play them is a complete waste of resources.

I already explained that having a game waiting can be, in fact, better than making one yourself so you missed my point.

CC can already generate games automatically, for Battle Royale, so there would not be too many extra resources needed to set this up.
Colonel D4 Damager

Postby greenoaks on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:55 pm

D4 Damager wrote:
greenoaks wrote:i don't see the point. if you want to play a Speed game and there isn't one waiting - create it.

I already explained that having a game waiting can be, in fact, better than making one yourself so you missed my point.

no you didn't. you said it is better. i say it is not.

creating a game you want is better than playing a CC generated one you don't want.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby D4 Damager on Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:25 am

greenoaks wrote:no you didn't. you said it is better. i say it is not.

creating a game you want is better than playing a CC generated one you don't want.

OK fine, so this suggestion is not for you. I think it would add something for people that enjoy 6-8 player Classic speed games. I created this suggestion in response to this comment:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=152877&start=720#p4184132

which leads me to believe there is some demand.
Colonel D4 Damager

Postby Tenebrus on Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:48 am

I like this. Would be nice to have some kind of top-end of the games section, with "approved" settings. Maybe one classic 8p seq, one fs, that kind of thing. And maybe give freemiums some extra games to join the "CC approved" games.

I hear what greenoaks is saying on "If you want a game, create one", but I think he's underestimating the power that giving something an "official" stamp can have. Could really encourage people to try out a setting and play with new peeps.
Lieutenant Tenebrus

Postby ljex on Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:16 pm

Bad idea...wont work at all. There is basically already one of them up whenever they have a chance to fill. If people arent willing to set up a game why would they be willing to play.

Instead you should open up settings so more freemiums can play.
Major ljex

Postby xxtig12683xx on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:14 am

ljex wrote:Bad idea...wont work at all. There is basically already one of them up whenever they have a chance to fill. If people arent willing to set up a game why would they be willing to play.

Instead you should open up settings so more freemiums can play.

+1

silly idea, hardly anyone speeds as it is, why would they waste time generating random games.

-tig
"there is no avoiding war, it can only be postponed to the advantage of your enemy" NM, 1502
Sergeant 1st Class xxtig12683xx

Postby Bruceswar on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:48 pm

I think what this idea is trying to promote is that there will always be a quick game ready to go at a moments notice and advertised as so in the my games page or some link from it. Basically it gives people a taste of speed games on a normal map and gets people to want more.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby nietzsche on Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:50 pm

New medals could be created for these kind of games, it would make them popular quickly.
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby IcePack on Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:14 pm

Bruceswar wrote:I think what this idea is trying to promote is that there will always be a quick game ready to go at a moments notice and advertised as so in the my games page or some link from it. Basically it gives people a taste of speed games on a normal map and gets people to want more.

Under battle royale, there could be a new tab added for "speed games" or "quick start speed games" that sends you to a specific style of speed games, or if its not quick start, and just speed games, it could be like an instant search for speed games and give more visability to the speed option

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Metsfanmax on Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:39 am

nietzsche wrote:New medals could be created for these kind of games, it would make them popular quickly.

Why would we give people a medal just for joining these games instead of other games?

Postby chapcrap on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:27 am

I guess I can see a very small benefit here. But, I think that all people know they can create a speed game. So, I think that implementing this isn't necessarily the best use of time, because people can already create what they want to play. I know that's what I do.

As far as this already kind of being in place for Battle Royales, I think that's a little bit of a different situation. Those are premium only, once a month things that took a very long time to code. Yes, the game generation aspect is there, but there would have to be a signifigant amount of changing to that code.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby IcePack on Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:14 pm

chapcrap wrote:I guess I can see a very small benefit here. But, I think that all people know they can create a speed game. So, I think that implementing this isn't necessarily the best use of time, because people can already create what they want to play. I know that's what I do.

As far as this already kind of being in place for Battle Royales, I think that's a little bit of a different situation. Those are premium only, once a month things that took a very long time to code. Yes, the game generation aspect is there, but there would have to be a signifigant amount of changing to that code.

If you were refering to my comment, i didn't mean for battle royales. i meant a tab added beneath BR's, like conquer cup, game finder etc above the new proposed "tab" on the left.

Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby D4 Damager on Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:38 pm

IcePack wrote:
chapcrap wrote:I guess I can see a very small benefit here. But, I think that all people know they can create a speed game. So, I think that implementing this isn't necessarily the best use of time, because people can already create what they want to play. I know that's what I do.

If you were refering to my comment, i didn't mean for battle royales. i meant a tab added beneath BR's, like conquer cup, game finder etc above the new proposed "tab" on the left.

Don't worry, he's talking about my comment. I'd implied it would be fairly easy to extend the BR code to Classic speed games. I apologise if that is not the case, I didn't mean to underestimate the work that the site developers do. I just meant it would be less work than starting from scratch I guess.
Colonel D4 Damager

Postby Metsfanmax on Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:43 pm

There's a large number of times when I clicked "Join a Game," went to the Speed Games tab, and when I saw nothing I liked, decided not to play a speed game at all instead of creating one. If other people are anything like me (admittedly, doubtful), then this might just increase the number of games played in an absolute sense.

Postby IcePack on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:30 am

Yeah I'm similar if I'm debating about playing extra games but don't see what I'm looking for often opt not to play

Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Return to Suggestions