Conquer Club

Best random dice generator

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Best random dice generator

Postby Agent 86 on Mon May 20, 2013 12:31 pm

You can find sources of truly random numbers, though (and without having to roll dice yourself). Some newer computers have a random number chip that generates random data from amplified thermal noise. If you don't have one of those, Random.org is a website that supplies streams of random numbers, generated by radio receivers tuned to atmospheric noise. You can access these random numbers R by using the random package from Dirk Eddelbuettel. This is as random as you can get: there's no way to predict one number from the last.

But for some people, even that isn't good enough. GamesByEmail.com used to use Random.org to generate the dice rolls for various games played via email, but some of the players complained that the rolls "weren't random enough". (Incidentally, I've seen similar complaints in the forums of every computer strategy game I've ever played where the results of battles are decided by random rolls, like Warcraft, Advance Wars, and the Civilization series. You'd be amazed at the lengths some players go to to "prove" that losing a 20-1 odds-on battle twice in a row is always "biased".) So the site owner fixed the problem by rolling his own true random number generator ... literally. The Dice-O-Matic Mark III rolls 800 dice -- real, physical dice -- down an irregular, spiral ramp to be loaded into a bucket elevator where a camera with image recognition software reads the pips to generate a stream of random dice rolls. You have to see this monster in action to believe it:

So there it is the perfect solution for CC, get one of these machines and then no-one can complain =D>

http://gamesbyemail.com/News/DiceOMatic

Agent 86 who is sick of Atmospheric Noise!!!
We are the Fallen, an unstoppable wave of Darkness.
Major Agent 86

Re: Best random dice generator

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon May 20, 2013 12:47 pm

Sounds similar to one of my ideas!

People will still complain the video is on a loop or something though. You need to allow field trips to the location to prove it's really running 24/7. Also, what happens if some of the dice become worn and are no longer identical? Are these dice tested for uniformity before they are put in the machine? This is a good system, but not perfect. ;)
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon May 20, 2013 1:33 pm

Internetz dice are the wurst, yo.

I suggested this one sometime back ago, and still stand by it: An Artist’s Game of Chance on the High Seas

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon May 20, 2013 10:20 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Internetz dice are the wurst, yo.

I suggested this one sometime back ago, and still stand by it: An Artist’s Game of Chance on the High Seas

--Andy

That would only work if there was a herd of whales playing underneath or something like blowing the dice up in the air with their blowholes constantly.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Agent 86 on Tue May 21, 2013 6:29 am

So 2 posts putting this idea on ice..no wonder I couldn't be bothered posting this in suggestions :lol:
Major Agent 86

Postby Funkyterrance on Tue May 21, 2013 11:03 am

Lol, you shouldn't give up so easily Agent. :D
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Agent 86 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:21 pm

Bump..get some real random dice happening..
Major Agent 86

Return to Conquer Club Discussion