The Discworld Map..

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

I...

Support the proposed revamp
79%
Oppose the revamp
21%

Total votes : 138

Re: The Discworld Map..

Postby greenoaks on Sat May 25, 2013 6:16 pm

ender516 wrote:I tend to agree with you. It seems a bit harsh to throw away someone's hard work just because tastes have changed. I would rather see the site implement a "skins" system on maps so that different versions of graphics could be used by different players on the same map. This could allow old versions and new versions to coexist, as well as specialized ones (more colour-blind friendly, perhaps?) or extra sizes.

i would like a skins system for the entire site, like what PokerStars has.
Sergeant 1st Class greenoaks
Tech Contributor
Tech Contributor

Medals: 138
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (14)
Tournament Contribution (34) General Contribution (4)

Postby DaveH on Tue May 28, 2013 5:56 am

I think you need to capture more of the spirit of Terry Pratchett's writings and perhaps have a few "magical" links from Ahnk to other parts of the map - and perhaps the linkages across the seas and some other parts of the map carry a -1 or more "bonus"

Discworld II perhaps?
Lieutenant DaveH
Media Volunteer
Media Volunteer

Medals: 102
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (30) General Contribution (9)

Postby Ace Rimmer on Thu May 30, 2013 9:04 am

Funny, Wisse (developer of Greater China) stopped in live chat just now to see if we thought he should revamp his map. I said yes, but he doesn't see an issue with his graphics.

I agree with griff that some of the newer maps are ugly but that's subjective. What I like to see revamped are ones that are flat or hard to follow because of the gfx choices made. Of the ones Griff posted, I would say the ones needing revamp are Actium (hard to follow), Greater China (BORING), Hong Kong (1996 era graphics), and Land and Sea (designed by a first year art student). Some of the others you may not like but at least they have graphics instead of flat looking colors thrown onto a map.

I'm fine with CMC being removed. The gfx are nice, gameplay sucks though.
Captain Ace Rimmer

Medals: 72
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (9) Map Contribution (1)
Tournament Contribution (7) General Contribution (4)

Postby rdsrds2120 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:35 pm

I voted yes. From an administrative standpoint, holding work for the sake of work is backwards thinking. If we can assert ourselves to aim to provide our users with a more top-notch experience in every aspect of the site (yes, yes, things haven't been perfect, I know), then I believe that we certainly should! The perfect solution would be ender's skins idea, but that is something that would take quite a bit of time to setup and complete.

BMO
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120
Retired Administrator

Medals: 90
Conquer Cup Bronze Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (9)
Clan Achievement (7) Training Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (9)

Postby ender516 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:58 am

If you like the skins idea, keep in mind that the large/small map size feature has the basic elements of skins in it.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516
Tech Contributor
Tech Contributor

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)
Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (11)

Postby Leehar on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:09 am

revamp over new maps? :)
show
Brigadier Leehar
Head Clan Director
Head Clan Director

Medals: 125
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (31)
General Achievement (21) Clan Achievement (13) Training Achievement (7) Challenge Achievement (1) General Contribution (8)

Postby Armandolas on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:28 am

IcePack wrote:Lets revamp the site to not look 1996, then we can look at the maps.

This

About topic. I agree with somepeople. There are other "gaphically unplayable maps" that would need a revamp first
(the previous version with the giant turtle is beautifull)
Brigadier Armandolas

Medals: 78
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (14)
General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (4) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (14)

Postby MrBenn on Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:59 pm

If this map is to be revamped then it should be done in an appropriate cartoon/fantasy/surrealism style that befits the Discworld Series.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby thenobodies80 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:20 am

Just to clarify: The site and the CAs are not pushing for this revamp in any particular way. We agreed that we have some maps that can be revamped as well.
We're not here to make a list or a sort of "rank" of the maps we can revamp. We are here because we think that the map could be revamped if there's desire from the community.
ManB has approached me with this idea and the first thing I've said him was: "sure, if the community wants it."
So, everyone here can make a list of maps to revamp or not, this because as others have said, it's a very subjective thing. But here we want to discuss only if we want to try to develope a revamp of THIS map.
Now, it seems to me that 78% could be considered a sort of "yes, go with it"...no?

ManB, apart what you said to me via PM, what's your thoughts? Do you want to collect more feedback before to go?

Nobodies

Give every man your ear, but few thy voice. Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.
show
Corporal 1st Class thenobodies80
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (8) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (17)

Postby greenoaks on Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:05 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:I voted yes. From an administrative standpoint, holding work for the sake of work is backwards thinking. If we can assert ourselves to aim to provide our users with a more top-notch experience in every aspect of the site (yes, yes, things haven't been perfect, I know), then I believe that we certainly should! The perfect solution would be ender's skins idea, but that is something that would take quite a bit of time to setup and complete.

BMO

would you be interested in a skins system for the entire site? there was a Dark Conquer Club addon that did that a few years ago.
Sergeant 1st Class greenoaks
Tech Contributor
Tech Contributor

Medals: 138
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (14)
Tournament Contribution (34) General Contribution (4)

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:48 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:Now, it seems to me that 78% could be considered a sort of "yes, go with it"...no?

Only if it was done right ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby ManBungalow on Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:05 pm

Okay, so...

Reading through this thread, there's a distinction I should have made when creating the poll:

*Develop the image I posted in the OP.
*Update the existing map, but not like the OP.
*Don't do it.

Nevertheless, the 79% support is reassuring.

My ideal course of action now is to demonstrate an update like that which was made to the Asia map.

This should assure the nostalgia, pay proper homage to the Jota image, and hopefully give the map a cleaner appearance. The word 'refreshing' would be my campaign buzzword if I had one.

I'll do my best to draw in a space turtle too.

I'll come back soon with a new image for some feedback.

Thanks all for contributing your opinions.
Colonel ManBungalow

Medals: 84
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (10) Clan Achievement (12) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (6)

Postby Bruceswar on Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:28 am

Lets see where you go with this :)
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Major Bruceswar

Medals: 140
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (18) Training Achievement (6) Map Contribution (1)

Postby ManBungalow on Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:00 pm

Some ideas...

Obviously not finished, but I re-interpreted the borders here:
Click image to enlarge.

Original map for comparison: http://maps.conquerclub.com/Discworld.L.jpg

I'd appreciate feedback on that image before I go any further (or not), because now is the best time to hear "borders too crisp" or "add more stuff at X"...

And for your enjoyment, here's my first attempt at drawing a turtle in the simplistic style of the rest of the map (it's not as easy as it looks, kids):
show
Colonel ManBungalow

Medals: 84
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (10) Clan Achievement (12) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (6)

PreviousNext

Return to Foundry Discussions