Conquer Club

District of Alaska - v14.1 [2015-25-05] pg16 [QUENCHED]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Alaska - v6.5 [2013-05-30] pg8

Postby iancanton on Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:03 pm

codierose wrote:
Seamus76 wrote:
iancanton wrote:all port cities connect is unrealistic for the period of the map and ruins its shape. it's reasonably appropriate if u turn it into all airports connect, but that turns the map into one of modern alaska.
Right, and this is obviously not going to be a modern map, so what would you suggest? I know it's not realistic for the time period, which is tough to balance, because on one hand we're splitting actual, established, land borders (the Far North) in the name of gameplay, but on the other hand another gameplay element is unrealistic. I'm totally open to changing how the ports work, just let me know your thoughts.

i agree could the ports only connect in their body of water like the small boats. On the new world map ports on the same ocean can only attack each other.

possibly all ports border small boats within their own body of water and all ports connect within their own and adjacent bodies of water?

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Re: Alaska - v7.0 [2013-06-04] pg8

Postby Seamus76 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:43 pm

CURRENT UPDATE INFO - 2013-06-04:
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm trying to address everything as I go. Here are some of the main requested changes.

- Updated the Port text in the Legend to "Ports connect within their own, and adjacent, body of water. And border Small Boats within their body of water only." Thoughts?
- Due to the above I had to shorten the space between the letters for the Port and Ship text. Things are looking a little cramped over there.
- Added some grunge effects to make the map more antique-ish.
- Added more mountains to cut Baird off from Nigalek.
- Added a 1px white dot to all of the Sea Routes to help bring them out a bit more. Not sure it worked, but if not, I have one other option that will help, which is to go back and stroke them without applying a Gblur, which will make them sharper and maybe easier to see.

How do the starting numbers look?

I'll leave this in from last time...Other than that I'm not sure what else I can do on this one. Personally I really like the game play, especially how the Ship sets work. One question I do have is regarding the Base Camps. Currently they are +2 auto-deploy, but at the same time are on the Expedition Route, and will therefore lose 1 troop. Does that happen before or after the auto-deploy, and with that in mind does the +2 still work? Thanks.

CURRENT MAP VERSION

v7.0 - Large (840x800)
Click image to enlarge.
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

Postby iAmCaffeine on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:22 pm

Best mountains I've ever seen. :D
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby Seamus76 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:49 pm

iAmCaffeine wrote:Best mountains I've ever seen. :D

:D thanks, but unfortunately the only thing I can take credit for is finding them on the Internet. But it is hard to get them to look good, so thanks.
ImageImageImage

Postby iancanton on Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:17 am

Seamus76 wrote:Updated the Port text in the Legend to "Ports connect within their own, and adjacent, body of water. And border Small Boats within their body of water only." Thoughts?

that works!

Seamus76 wrote:How do the starting numbers look?

14 regions per player in 1v1 if all exploration trail regions start neutral, which is good.

Seamus76 wrote:One question I do have is regarding the Base Camps. Currently they are +2 auto-deploy, but at the same time are on the Expedition Route, and will therefore lose 1 troop. Does that happen before or after the auto-deploy, and with that in mind does the +2 still work?

according to both isaiah and koontz, the decay comes first, so there will always already be at least 3 troops on a player's base camp when is is about to deploy his troops.

i again suggest bonuses based on the 1910-1920 judicial districts, since the divisions we have just now are strikingly modern and the combined aleutian and inside passage super-bonus doesn't make sense. first and fourth districts are basically unchanged. second and third district obviously have to be divided, but otherwise work. cut off the western part of inside passage and call it cordova (part of second district) and merge mcgrath (which was part of the old fourth district or the modern interior) into sleetmute? anchorage did not exist in 1910, so u need to decide whether this is a 1910 or 1920 map.

http://laborstats.alaska.gov/census/map ... 101920.pdf

iancanton wrote:thematically troubling is the bland uniformity of the land areas. nowhere is more crowded than elsewhere and there are no wastelands represented by larger-than-average regions. there is no acknowledgement of the severe polar climate in the far north or the lack of roads or settlements (causing movement and supply difficulties) in most of the west.

i envisaged larger regions in the interior, north and southwest, with more crowded-looking regions in the south and inside passage. i do not propose to push this in a big way because, at this stage, it looks as if this will be a lot of work, with many regions being redistributed. i tried to find a way to include pack ice in the bering strait gameplay, but this requires too much explanation in the legend.

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Seamus76 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:18 pm

iancanton wrote:
Seamus76 wrote:Updated the Port text in the Legend to "Ports connect within their own, and adjacent, body of water. And border Small Boats within their body of water only." Thoughts?

that works!
Cross that off the list.

iancanton wrote:

14 regions per player in 1v1 if all exploration trail regions start neutral, which is good.
The original thought was to include the Exploration Routes in the starting numbers, but you're saying not to do that? Take a look at the OP for the 888 & Starting Neutral version and confirm that for me if you don't mind.

iancanton wrote:
Seamus76 wrote:One question I do have is regarding the Base Camps. Currently they are +2 auto-deploy, but at the same time are on the Expedition Route, and will therefore lose 1 troop. Does that happen before or after the auto-deploy, and with that in mind does the +2 still work?

according to both isaiah and koontz, the decay comes first, so there will always already be at least 3 troops on a player's base camp when is is about to deploy his troops.
Works for me.

iancanton wrote:i again suggest bonuses based on the 1910-1920 judicial districts, since the divisions we have just now are strikingly modern and the combined aleutian and inside passage super-bonus doesn't make sense. first and fourth districts are basically unchanged. second and third district obviously have to be divided, but otherwise work. cut off the western part of inside passage and call it cordova (part of second district) and merge mcgrath (which was part of the old fourth district or the modern interior) into sleetmute? anchorage did not exist in 1910, so u need to decide whether this is a 1910 or 1920 map.

Here's the dilemma, first I'm not a fan at all of the "judicial district names, or layout. This map is circa 1895, just prior to the Gold Rush. I purposefully did that so I could maximize my "antique" theme, and also so that I wouldn't muck the map up with a lot of "gold" stuff, etc. So technically the name of the map should be District of Alaska, which is what it was officially called from May 17, 1884 to August 24, 1912. With that being said, I can't really find anything that breaks down how the District of Alaska was done, and to me it seems like they may not have even been broken down until later on, maybe even 1910. (If you find a map please let me know). To that point, I can either leave the map open of bonus regions, as my initial inspiration map shows, or I can take a little artistic license and break them down in a more modern way, which is more inline with players expectations of the region. (i.e. having names like Far North, Inside Passage, etc. Not First Judicial District.)

There are plenty of maps showing the breakdown of the regions, the main one I used HERE, obviously shows how the Aleutians are part of the Southwest, but for Gameplay purposes I broke it out. If it makes you feel better we could certainly put the Aleutians back with the Southwest, but break it out much like the North and Northwest. So Aleutians would be a lighter color green to show they are part of the Southwest, but at the same time they are broken out to make better bonus opportunities, etc. (much like we did for the Far North).

Also, with regard to the combined Aleutians and Inside Passage, we can lose that based on if we go with combining the Aleutians and Southwest, and then create the Super Region bonus of South Central plus(+) Inside Passage. Not make them the same colors, since they are separate. But again I'm not a fan of the "judicial" breakdown or names, so let me know if this would work.

iancanton wrote:
iancanton wrote:thematically troubling is the bland uniformity of the land areas. nowhere is more crowded than elsewhere and there are no wastelands represented by larger-than-average regions. there is no acknowledgement of the severe polar climate in the far north or the lack of roads or settlements (causing movement and supply difficulties) in most of the west.

i envisaged larger regions in the interior, north and southwest, with more crowded-looking regions in the south and inside passage. i do not propose to push this in a big way because, at this stage, it looks as if this will be a lot of work, with many regions being redistributed. i tried to find a way to include pack ice in the bering strait gameplay, but this requires too much explanation in the legend.
Well I'm glad you won't push that. :lol: Yes it would be pretty much a complete redo at this point, and that's not really something I have in me unfortunately.

As always I really appreciate you taking the time to research and provide feedback. Keep it coming.
ImageImageImage

Postby Teflon Kris on Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:37 am

iAmCaffeine wrote:Best mountains I've ever seen. :D

They are certainly amongst the best - although - would they look even better if they had a mountain colour rather than the continent background? Maybe worth a check?

On a more general note, a very attractive map with some cool gameplay features - I will enjoy playing this one.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:47 am

Seamus76 wrote:
iancanton wrote:i again suggest bonuses based on the 1910-1920 judicial districts, since the divisions we have just now are strikingly modern and the combined aleutian and inside passage super-bonus doesn't make sense. first and fourth districts are basically unchanged. second and third district obviously have to be divided, but otherwise work. cut off the western part of inside passage and call it cordova (part of second district) and merge mcgrath (which was part of the old fourth district or the modern interior) into sleetmute? anchorage did not exist in 1910, so u need to decide whether this is a 1910 or 1920 map.

Here's the dilemma, first I'm not a fan at all of the "judicial district names, or layout. This map is circa 1895, just prior to the Gold Rush. I purposefully did that so I could maximize my "antique" theme, and also so that I wouldn't muck the map up with a lot of "gold" stuff, etc. So technically the name of the map should be District of Alaska, which is what it was officially called from May 17, 1884 to August 24, 1912. With that being said, I can't really find anything that breaks down how the District of Alaska was done, and to me it seems like they may not have even been broken down until later on, maybe even 1910. (If you find a map please let me know). To that point, I can either leave the map open of bonus regions, as my initial inspiration map shows, or I can take a little artistic license and break them down in a more modern way, which is more inline with players expectations of the region. (i.e. having names like Far North, Inside Passage, etc. Not First Judicial District.)

I think you did the right thing. There is a frequent debate in this forum between geographical/historical accuracy and playability, and it always comes down on the side of playability. Evocative names with personality are easier to visualize and remember (Arctic Village) and thus lead to a better player experience than dry algebraic names (like First, Second, Third, or like East, West, North).

Seamus76 wrote:
iancanton wrote:

Well I'm glad you won't push that. :lol: Yes it would be pretty much a complete redo at this point, and that's not really something I have in me unfortunately.

I can't comment on how much work it is, having never done it. I just wonder (and let me reiterate that I don't know, I just wonder) if two years from now you won't be kicking yourself for that decision. There are many times in my life when I've settled for something that was adequate, although I knew I could do better, and always it has led to many regrets. Sometimes I grow tired of something, and I just want it to be over with, but later regret that decision. Anyway, I don't claim the wisdom to make your decision, only to give you something to consider.

This is the kind of thing I quite honestly would have expected to see, with districts defined primarily by their available rivers and sea harbours, with many little districts around Juneau and Anchorage, and with the north slope and the upper Yukon being virtually vacant:
http://www2.census.gov/geo/maps/cong_dist/cd108_gen/st_pdf/cd108_AK.pdf
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby iancanton on Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:23 pm

alaska had two super-districts in the 1890 census: northern and southern. many places mentioned on our map appear for the first time in 1900. in 1890, the biggest city was juneau, population 1,253. in 1900, it was the new city of nome, at 12,488 (though many left after the gold rush). a map of the seven 1890 census districts, with their names, appears between intro pages x and xi.

http://laborstats.alaska.gov/census/map ... 901900.pdf
http://labor.alaska.gov/research/census ... 0inhab.pdf
http://labor.alaska.gov/research/census ... census.pdf

Seamus76 wrote:
iancanton wrote:

The original thought was to include the Exploration Routes in the starting numbers, but you're saying not to do that? Take a look at the OP for the 888 & Starting Neutral version and confirm that for me if you don't mind.

i calculate 18 regions per player in 1v1 if exploration trail regions start normally.

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Bruceswar on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:00 pm

Just dropping a line to say I really like the look of this map. Keep going!
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Seamus76 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:15 pm

CURRENT UPDATE INFO - 2013-06-20:

Bruceswar wrote:Just dropping a line to say I really like the look of this map. Keep going!
Thanks Bruce!!

Ok, I've been looking at this for a while now, and even tried changing the Aleutian Islands to lighter(and even darker) shade of green to see if I could replicate how well the Far North worked out, but it just did not look right, and totally threw off the map. So here is what I did do, and then some comments.
- XML question, regarding the 1v1 starting numbers. Is there a way to keep them at 14, and include the Exploration Route terts? Rather than go to 18? I don't like that at all, way too many.

- Tert Names. Koontz and I talked about them early on but I was a little lazy in updating them. Did a ton of research, and using multiple maps from 1867 through 1895 I have updated all of the territory names to be in line with the date of the map. So there were 3-4 terts that have been updated including Anchorage which is gone.
- The other somewhat major thing is the renaming of the map to District of Alaska, which in 1895 was the official Governmental designation for the state.

So, the more I look at the map, the more I think everything works very well, from the old time look and feel, to the more modern and relatable bonus regions and names. I also think the combined Aleutian Island/Inside Passage Super Region bonus makes sense. From an eye perspective, they are the on each side of the map and are the two smaller regions which go nicely together, from a game play perspective they might be the most attractive Super Region bonus on the map. It also fills out the bonus legend very well.

Speaking of the Aleutian Island bonus, as we bounced around, would it make you feel better if it was only a +1 rather than +2? Keep in mind I'm going off the number Koontz ran over a couple of days so I'm really not too sure they should, or need to, actually be changed.

CURRENT MAP VERSION

v8.0 - Large (840x800)
Click image to enlarge.
ImageImageImage

Re: District of Alaska - v8.0 [2013-06-21] pg10

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:00 pm

Seamus, hi...some comments if i may.

1. The 60 degree N line is quite distracting for me running through the middle of the map...is there any chance to reduce the opacity of lat and long lines?

2. i understand the one-ways from small to large vessels, but in their own body of water?
So that means if i understand correctly....Trident, Salak, and Ross connect with Klawak, Valdes, Kodiak, and Dutch Harbour?
Does Argonaut, Ladyard and Pond connect with Bethel? and does Circe, Mohun and Pike coonect with Dutch Harbour?

3. For me, the opacity in right legend of Inside Passage and Aleutian Islands region areas need increasing as they are not as strong as the ones above them; even southcentral could do with a little lift.

4. i think base camp graphics could do with a touch more clarity especially in bottom left legend.

5. Some continent to island connection lines are more faded than others....i.e. not as strong as Nome to St Lawrence.

Hope this helps somewhat for now. :)
Looking good.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby iancanton on Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:14 pm

Seamus76 wrote:- XML question, regarding the 1v1 starting numbers. Is there a way to keep them at 14, and include the Exploration Route terts? Rather than go to 18? I don't like that at all, way too many.

u can start all exploration route regions with n1 neutrals to make them easy to conquer, except for base camps being n3. if u do this, then each player in 1v1 will start with 14 regions and no-one will have an unfairly large number of exploration route regions.

Seamus76 wrote:- Tert Names. Koontz and I talked about them early on but I was a little lazy in updating them. Did a ton of research, and using multiple maps from 1867 through 1895 I have updated all of the territory names to be in line with the date of the map. So there were 3-4 terts that have been updated including Anchorage which is gone.
- The other somewhat major thing is the renaming of the map to District of Alaska, which in 1895 was the official Governmental designation for the state.

excellent. this cuts out some of the anachronisms.

Seamus76 wrote:
iancanton wrote:the use of the word region in the legend is confusing. area or district might be better.
I like area better than district, but technically they are referred to as the "five regions of Alaska", plus isn't "region" what most players would associate with the bonuses I'm excluding them from?

every time a player starts a turn, he sees in the game log that he has received some troops for holding a number of regions. unless the use of the word region in another sense is essential to the theme of the map, it's good to use a word in the legend that does not contradict the game log.

Seamus76 wrote:So, the more I look at the map, the more I think everything works very well, from the old time look and feel, to the more modern and relatable bonus regions and names.

on examination, a lot of it does work well (not surprising, given the amount of time that u and koontz have spent on it) and, though they aren't 100% accurate, most of the bonus areas have a closely-equivalent 1890 census district. i'm therefore pleased to accept the gameplay layout in its current form, broadly unchanged, except for two minor tweaks, being to extend the central mountains to protect sleetmute from talkeetna and to put kodiak in the kadiak (southcentral) bonus by connecting it with kenai instead of with egegik.

Dukasaur wrote:Evocative names with personality are easier to visualize and remember (Arctic Village) and thus lead to a better player experience than dry algebraic names (like First, Second, Third, or like East, West, North).

taking into account Dukasaur's comments about not using boring names based on numbers or directions, i recommend that u use the descriptive 1890 census district names (which are consistent with the time period): arctic for far north, yukon for interior, kuskokwim for southwest, kadiak for southcentral and unalaska for aleutian islands; i don't like southeastern as much as the existing inside passage or the older sitka.

Seamus76 wrote:I also think the combined Aleutian Island/Inside Passage Super Region bonus makes sense. From an eye perspective, they are the on each side of the map and are the two smaller regions which go nicely together, from a game play perspective they might be the most attractive Super Region bonus on the map.

although i disagree that it makes good sense, it's not necessarily bad for gameplay, so let's try it like this.

Seamus76 wrote:Speaking of the Aleutian Island bonus, as we bounced around, would it make you feel better if it was only a +1 rather than +2? Keep in mind I'm going off the number Koontz ran over a couple of days so I'm really not too sure they should, or need to, actually be changed.

despite the fact that i don't like it a lot, +2 isn't unfair and it can be attacked by most of the other bonuses. to avoid dutch harbour always being taken in preference to bethel and therefore probably being the first land bonus taken in nearly every game, i suggest that dutch harbor starts with one more neutral troop than bethel does, creating some variety.

after the changes just mentioned (and the more restricted port attacks), i recommend that north becomes +2, northwest becomes +5, yukon (interior) becomes +4 and kuskokwim (southwest) becomes +4. i subtracted 2 from the last two because of the presence of base camps.

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby dolomite13 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:31 am

Gorgeous map. Only thing that tripped me up was finding the edges of the sea zones. Once I realized it was listed along the longitude and latitude lines it was easy to see how it all fit together.

Look forward to this one

=D13=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby Seamus76 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:47 am

dolomite13 wrote:Gorgeous map. Only thing that tripped me up was finding the edges of the sea zones. Once I realized it was listed along the longitude and latitude lines it was easy to see how it all fit together.

Look forward to this one

=D13=

Thanks so much, and to everyone recently for the feedback. Cairns, great to have you back. I've been on vacation but should have an update later tonight, which will address this issue, and the others recently mentioned.
ImageImageImage

Postby Seamus76 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:10 pm

CURRENT UPDATE INFO - 2013-06-30:

Thanks for the recent feedback everyone, this version should fix or address most if not all of the comments.
Before I get to the changes, I need to ask about the starting numbers.
iancanton wrote:
Seamus76 wrote:- XML question, regarding the 1v1 starting numbers. Is there a way to keep them at 14, and include the Exploration Route terts? Rather than go to 18? I don't like that at all, way too many.

u can start all exploration route regions with n1 neutrals to make them easy to conquer, except for base camps being n3. if u do this, then each player in 1v1 will start with 14 regions and no-one will have an unfairly large number of exploration route regions.
Ian, at first glance this looked great, but when I started adjusting the map with the new neutrals it seems the numbers will now be off. Taking the Exploration Routes out of the starting numbers removes 12 terts, which is a lot. It makes 8 player games start with 3 per player (1 ship and 2 regular terts). Which I'm thinking won't work. Do you have any suggestions?

Changes:
- Updated all of the Bonus Regions names to fit the time period. (Far North to Arctic, etc.)
- Increased the opacity of the Kadiak, Inside Passage, and Unalaska mini-maps.
- Renamed Kodiak Island to Kadiak Island inline with the time period.
- Moved Kadiak Island from the Kuskokwim region to the Kadiak region.
- Moved Kadiak Island sea route from Egegik to Kenai.
- Added a dark highlight under the Latitude and Longitude lines separating the "Body's of Water", to help players distinguish them more easily.
- Decreased the opacity of all other Latitude and Longitude lines, so they are less distracting.
- In the small bottom left legend changed Base Camp info from "Part of no region" to "Part of no District".

Things to work on:
- Make the Sea Routes stand out more.

CURRENT MAP VERSION

v9.0 - Large (840x800)
Click image to enlarge.
ImageImageImage

Postby iancanton on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:12 am

Seamus76 wrote:Taking the Exploration Routes out of the starting numbers removes 12 terts, which is a lot. It makes 8 player games start with 3 per player (1 ship and 2 regular terts). Which I'm thinking won't work. Do you have any suggestions?

unless i've miscounted, there are 29 random starts, so 8-player games actually start with 1 ship and 3 land regions, which will work. if u want more, then adding the 3 expedition route regions that surround the base camps increases the random starts to 32, so that each player starts with 1 ship and 4 land regions. receiving one of these regions might be good or bad for a player because he has a 60%+ chance to take an auto-deploy bonus immediately, but only by killing 3 neutrals.

having looked at the base camps, it has struck me that they receive only a +1 net auto-deploy, not +2, if the holder puts extra troops on them for defence because the extra troops decay. to compensate, u might want to increase the kuskokwim, north and yukon bonuses to +5, +5 and +3 respectively. though players can often avoid the decay by forting out, this is sometimes not an option, for example in adjacent forts games.

Seamus76 wrote:- Added a dark highlight under the Latitude and Longitude lines separating the "Body's of Water", to help players distinguish them more easily.
- Decreased the opacity of all other Latitude and Longitude lines, so they are less distracting.

this is very good indeed. it's obvious that there are three bodies of water now.

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Re: Alaska - v6.4 [2013-05-28] pg8

Postby Seamus76 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:06 pm

iancanton wrote:
Seamus76 wrote:Taking the Exploration Routes out of the starting numbers removes 12 terts, which is a lot. It makes 8 player games start with 3 per player (1 ship and 2 regular terts). Which I'm thinking won't work. Do you have any suggestions?

unless i've miscounted, there are 29 random starts, so 8-player games actually start with 1 ship and 3 land regions, which will work. if u want more, then adding the 3 expedition route regions that surround the base camps increases the random starts to 32, so that each player starts with 1 ship and 4 land regions. receiving one of these regions might be good or bad for a player because he has a 60%+ chance to take an auto-deploy bonus immediately, but only by killing 3 neutrals.

having looked at the base camps, it has struck me that they receive only a +1 net auto-deploy, not +2, if the holder puts extra troops on them for defense because the extra troops decay. to compensate, u might want to increase the kuskokwim, north and yukon bonuses to +5, +5 and +3 respectively. though players can often avoid the decay by forting out, this is sometimes not an option, for example in adjacent forts games.

Thanks Ian. Every time I count I get a different number :lol:, but yes, it should be 29 available starting terts (plus 8 large ships), so that would be 3 random terts and 1 ship for each player in 8 player games. If you think that works we can give it a shot, just seemed low, but as I've said Gameplay is not my forte.

For now I'll keep the Exploration Route terts as starting 1n, as this might make the Exploration Route bonus more attractive. But if anyone has any thoughts one way or the other I'd like to hear it.

As for increasing the bonuses to compensate for the decay, take a look at all of the numbers Koontz ran, and let me know if you still want to change them.

koontz1973 wrote:
isaiah40 wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:Running all the numbers later tonight for all of the bonuses.

This is a bloody long night koontz! :lol:

Almost as long as nobodies dinners. ;)

Sorry Seamus, been extremely busy of late.

show

Considering the values given are somewhat different from yours, here is what I suggest. These numbers take into account the size of map as well and are in keeping with that as well.

North 3 (has an auto deploy as well so worth 5)
NorthWest 4
    Combined bonus of 10

Interior 7 (has an auto deploy as well so worth 9)

SouthWest 7 (has an auto deploy as well so worth 9)
South Central 5
    Combined bonus of 15

Inside Passage 3
Aleutian Islands 2
    Combined bonus of 7

On top of the numbers, make sure it says on the map that base camps are not part of bonus regions. Apart form that, you are good to go. Are you happy with these values? If yes, bung them on and will get you moved up, if not, why not?
ImageImageImage

Re: District of Alaska - v9.0 [2013-06-30] pg10

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:39 am

ian would of seen those numbers, without treading on anyone toes here, if ian says to change the numbers, I would. You will get no one better.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Seamus76 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:35 am

koontz1973 wrote:ian would of seen those numbers, without treading on anyone toes here, if ian says to change the numbers, I would. You will get no one better.

Fair enough, consider it done. Thanks.
ImageImageImage

Postby Seamus76 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:19 pm

CURRENT UPDATE INFO - 2013-07-03:
Changes:
- Updated the bonus value of North from +2 to +3
- Updated the bonus value of Yukon from +4 to +5
- Updated the bonus value of Kuskokwim from +4 to +5
- Updated the Super Region Bonuses of All South, and "Hold Both"
- Updated the 888 and Starting Number version, and included below.

Question:
Starting numbers: The 29 starting terts don't take into consideration the Exploration Ships, so 1v1 games start with 14 terts, as you said, but does that include the 2 Exploration Ships? It doesn't look like it does. This then takes the starting terts for 1v1 games to 16 each, which is way too many in my opinion. Am I looking at the numbers correctly? Also, Ian can you let me know your thoughts on all the starting numbers, and what they should be for each game type? Thanks.

Things to work on:
- Make the Sea Routes stand out more.

CURRENT MAP VERSION

v9.1 - Large (840x800)
Click image to enlarge.
ImageImageImage

Re: District of Alaska - v9.0 [2013-07-03] pg10

Postby Bruceswar on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:09 am

GFX suggestion.... Raise up the Sea names a bit. They can barely be seen.

Also if you going for that surveying looking, then a grid System would be best?

Click image to enlarge.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Re: District of Alaska - v9.0 [2013-07-03] pg10

Postby Seamus76 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:58 pm

CURRENT UPDATE INFO - 2013-07-06:
Changes:
- Brought out the Sea names a little more.
- Redid the Sea Routes to make them stand out more.

Question:
Starting numbers: Ian, can you please take a look and let me know if these are correct. For the 2 and 3 player games I divided by 3, as per our discussion regarding the game engine assigning out a third to neutral. They look right, but I could be wrong. Thanks.

Other than the starting numbers, which shouldn't effect much, I think the gameplay is pretty much done. Let's get this stamped. :D

CURRENT MAP VERSION

v9.2 - Large (840x800)
Click image to enlarge.
ImageImageImage

Re: District of Alaska - v9.2 [2013-07-06] pg10

Postby iAmCaffeine on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:38 am

Do not make it a grid system. Currently this is a great looking map, put a grid on it and you'll have a barrel of shit. That may be a bit blunt but I've had too much caffeine so heyho.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Re: District of Alaska - v9.2 [2013-07-06] pg10

Postby Seamus76 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:47 am

iAmCaffeine wrote:Do not make it a grid system. Currently this is a great looking map, put a grid on it and you'll have a barrel of shit. That may be a bit blunt but I've had too much caffeine so heyho.
Thanks! And don't worry I agree with you. For other maps it works great, but for this one it would be too distracting.
ImageImageImage

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas