Conquer Club

Which horror film scares you the most?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Which horror film scares you the most?

Postby thegreekdog on Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:26 am

Not a horror film, but the only time I've ever jumped from my seat in a movie theater was during Signs when the alien passes across the screen during the home movie.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:56 am

Haggis_McMutton wrote:
Juan_Bottom wrote:Ikiru was scary?

Guess it depends on the definition of scary.
Not scary in the "aahh it's a decapitated head" way, but scary in the "that actually represents the life of many people and it mind end up being mine as well" way.

Not sure if Ikiru was the best example of this, but it's the closest one I could think of. If we were allowed to put in books, I'd say The Tartar Steppe. That one really brings on the existential despair for me.

Right, I get what Haggis is suggesting with his Ikiru pick. The scariness in the film isn't necessarily fright like Nightmare on Elm Street. It has more of a disquieting quality maybe: "disturbance; uneasiness, anxiety, worry; restlessness, unrest.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:21 pm

thegreekdog wrote:Not a horror film, but the only time I've ever jumped from my seat in a movie theater was during Signs when the alien passes across the screen during the home movie.

That scene was great!

Evil Dead 2013 was very entertaining.

House of a 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects were enjoyable horror films (funny too).

(I can't think of any film which scares me though... :/ Usually, I sit there and wonder about what I'd be doing at that moment in the film. Then I hit this point where the characters are being ridiculously stupid, so I get bored).
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:25 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:
Haggis_McMutton wrote:
Juan_Bottom wrote:Ikiru was scary?

Guess it depends on the definition of scary.
Not scary in the "aahh it's a decapitated head" way, but scary in the "that actually represents the life of many people and it mind end up being mine as well" way.

Not sure if Ikiru was the best example of this, but it's the closest one I could think of. If we were allowed to put in books, I'd say The Tartar Steppe. That one really brings on the existential despair for me.

Right, I get what Haggis is suggesting with his Ikiru pick. The scariness in the film isn't necessarily fright like Nightmare on Elm Street. It has more of a disquieting quality maybe: "disturbance; uneasiness, anxiety, worry; restlessness, unrest.

--Andy

I view that film's main character as an example of extremely quick self-development. It's actually happy because without the cancer his life wouldn't have amounted to much.

Those underlined are necessary for individual development anyway, so perhaps some view that prospect as horrifying, but it should be perceived as better...
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:27 pm

Surely, I agree that there is a sense of self-development, and there is a sense of happiness at the end for the individual.

The bureaucracy seemingly remains though, which is a bit disheartening.

--Andy

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:34 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Surely, I agree that there is a sense of self-development, and there is a sense of happiness at the end for the individual.

The bureaucracy seemingly remains though, which is a bit disheartening.

--Andy

That's the story of this world.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:56 pm

That isn't a bit scary? :)

--Andy

Postby ooge on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:14 pm

anyone ever see this movie.http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0235198/ Audition 1999? I Cant say I think I know exactly what was going on in this movie,but what I think was going on is closer than some of the write ups I have read about it. Now most David lynch movies I have know clue.
Captain ooge

Postby ooge on Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:58 pm

ooge wrote:anyone ever see this movie.http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0235198/ Audition 1999? I Cant say I think I know exactly what was going on in this movie,but what I think was going on is closer than some of the write ups I have read about it. Now most David lynch movies I have know clue.

anyone seen this movie?
Captain ooge

Postby pimpdave on Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:02 pm

ooge wrote:
ooge wrote:anyone ever see this movie.http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0235198/ Audition 1999? I Cant say I think I know exactly what was going on in this movie,but what I think was going on is closer than some of the write ups I have read about it. Now most David lynch movies I have know clue.

anyone seen this movie?

anyone?
jay_a2j wrote:hey if any1 would like me to make them a signature or like an avator just let me no, my sig below i did, and i also did "panther 88" so i can do something like that for u if ud like...
Sergeant 1st Class pimpdave

Postby kizkiz on Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:33 pm

Not a film, but the old resident evil game.
The one where you run around the police station for bloody hours.
There's a corridor that you run down about a hundred times. nothing in the building respawns, so you know it's safe once a room is cleared.....until you go down the corridor at a certain point and a load of zombie hands come smashing through the windows trying to grab you
Scared the fucking shit out of me the first time
Major kizkiz

Postby gordon1975 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:26 pm

Jaws scared the shit out of evrybody,before that film people went in the sea and didnt hear that music,first film to scare the shit out of me was a 1954 film called The Creature From The Black Lagoon,still get shivers thinkin of the webbed hand slapping onto my bed(my boat)(Jaws was swimming bout in my carpet as well)then when i was about 7 my parents thought it would be cool for me to watch The Thing,1985 with kurt russel.laugh at the effects now,but that was some heavy shit!im scarred for life
God can judge my enemies, i will arrange the meeting.
Lieutenant gordon1975

Postby ender516 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:24 pm

I saw Tales From The Crypt when I was twelve, and was so glad I had gone to the matinee. The sun was setting as I walked home, and I was desperate to get there before dark.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby pimpdave on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:08 pm

anyone ever see this movie.http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0235198/ Audition 1999? I Cant say I think I know exactly what was going on in this movie,but what I think was going on is closer than some of the write ups I have read about it. Now most David lynch movies I have know clue.
jay_a2j wrote:hey if any1 would like me to make them a signature or like an avator just let me no, my sig below i did, and i also did "panther 88" so i can do something like that for u if ud like...
Sergeant 1st Class pimpdave

Postby PLAYER57832 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:14 pm

The scariest film has to be real life...
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby jonesthecurl on Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:00 am

Boo!
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby KoolBak on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:49 am

I saw Phantasm ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantasm_(film) ) when it came out; I was like 15...first horror film I'd seen and also one of the last....don't like them :evil: ....scared the CRAP outta me and probly is the reason I can't stand them....lol.

Been thinking of rewatching it to see how stupid the 1979 cinematography actually was.......

Scary / stupid B rated flicks....always loved Reanimator.... :lol:
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant KoolBak

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:01 pm

KoolBak wrote:always loved Reanimator.... :lol:

Such a good movie.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:34 pm

I saw that Soylent Green movie recently, it was pretty creepy.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby BoganGod on Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:00 am

Saw "Willow" on acid. Couldn't look at at possums, midgets or drunks with dreads without getting flashbacks for ages.
Corporal BoganGod

Postby Lootifer on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:18 pm

thegreekdog wrote:Not a horror film, but the only time I've ever jumped from my seat in a movie theater was during Signs when the alien passes across the screen during the home movie.

Haha I was going to post the exact same thing. Shit was great. I actually really enjoyed the movie (after you account for what it is: light/family scifi).

Also eXistenZ troubled me for a good week or so after watching it (the film itself wasnt great, but the themes were good, and I was reasonably young).
I go to the gym to justify my mockery of fat people.
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby ManBungalow on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:29 pm

crispybits wrote:The original "Woman in Black"... haven't watched the remake with Harry potter in it though.

I laughed here.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:42 pm

Timminz wrote:Sometimes, when I get up to take a piss in the middle of the night, I will have flashbacks of Paranormal Activity.

That can happen if you drink your own urine. Stop doing that and you should be fine.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby clangfield on Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:38 am

KoolBak wrote:I saw Phantasm ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantasm_(film) ) when it came out; I was like 15...first horror film I'd seen and also one of the last....don't like them :evil: ....scared the CRAP outta me and probly is the reason I can't stand them....lol.

Been thinking of rewatching it to see how stupid the 1979 cinematography actually was.......

Scary / stupid B rated flicks....always loved Reanimator.... :lol:

I saw Phantasm at the cinema on my first ever date (her mother worked for EMI and got free tickets :) ). Not particularly scary though in retrospect my reaction could have been mollified by the Ken Russell B movie (although it was more F-standard) that accompanied it. Complete and utter garbage.

I'd submit Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Not a scary film overall, but that scene with the child-catcher... once seen as a 6 year old, never forgotten.. :shock:
Lieutenant clangfield

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,