The Discworld Map..

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

I...

Support the proposed revamp
79%
Oppose the revamp
21%

Total votes : 138

Re: The Discworld Map..

Postby Aleena on Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:19 pm

Your suggestion with the witch - is cute....

But actually I sort of love the idea of making it look more real-life
In the original design I love:
the Sun, and solar glare
the shimmering waters
and the wavy ozone in the south...

Not sure if it is possible or likely, but I'd suggest to try to make it look like a real world seen from space instead of a cartoonish feel... But that's just my opinion.... And I'm a noob....
Private 1st Class Aleena

Medals: 1
Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Gilligan on Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:21 pm

That turtle is my new best friend.
Captain Gilligan
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 191
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (29) Clan Achievement (7) Challenge Achievement (4)

Postby ManBungalow on Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:57 pm

Gilligan wrote:That turtle is my new best friend.

You'll like his/her* slightly more detailed friend:

Click image to enlarge.

*gender actually unknown

Even so, I'm not sure that's the way to go with adding a turtle to this map. It doesn't look like something I'd expect on a CC map. But I want to keep it as simple and clear as the rest of the image.
Colonel ManBungalow

Medals: 84
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (10) Clan Achievement (12) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (6)

Postby Metsfanmax on Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:18 am

Found this thread through nobodies' signature. As someone who has played a whole three games on Discworld, I fully approve.
Lieutenant Metsfanmax
Head Thinker
Head Thinker

Medals: 41
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (2)
General Contribution (6)

Postby macbone on Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:05 pm

ManB, the first map you posted in this thread is beautiful. Man. I'd love to play on a luscious map like that.

I love the Discworld series and Sir Terry, but our map is a bit dated. A Discworld II would be fantastic, though. (There's actually a GURPS Discworld and a GURPS Discworld II, so there's precedence. (= ) If Pratchett agreed to the first one, perhaps he'd agree to a new one as well?

I like the turtle in your new one, man, but it may be too similar to the original map. Apparently one of the things that Jota was asked to take away was the turtle on his original.

Here's the map the CC map was based on:

Click image to enlarge.

I dunno, though. Your turtle is significantly different from the original, so it might fly. Or swim, rather.
Major macbone
SoC Training Instructor
SoC Training Instructor

Location: Looking out over Victoria Harbor, thinking about Middle Earth and how good my wife looks
Medals: 76
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (9)
Training Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (7)

Previous

Return to Foundry Discussions