Conquer Club

Gun Control

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Gun Control

Postby Woodruff on Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:29 pm

Woodruff wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
The Democrats defending IRS abuses and illegal spying programs are the same ones who insist they would never abuse a gun registry database.

Rep. Steve Stockman

What Democrats are defending the IRS abuses and illegal spying programs?

I mean, I've seen some Democrats who think the IRS thing is largely eyewash, but I haven't spoken with a single Democrat who isn't upset about the illegal spying program, and most of them have been well aware of it since before Obama was President.

Anything, Phatscotty?

Well, you're in the thread, so...anything?
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Night Strike on Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:57 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
TeeGee wrote:Living in Australia, I have no real opinion on gun control in A-merry-car or any other country or vehicle.. But saw this online.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/guns/toddlers-killed-more-americans-terrorists-did-year

seriously? Kids can get hold of guns??? or is it fiction?

less than 60 years ago, children used to bring their guns to school for show and tell. Children have had guns since guns were invented. Children have fed themselves and help feed their families with guns for centuries. My favorite thing to do at my grandpas when I was a child was shoot his guns. I would just tell him "we're going out shooting" and he would say "okay". Society and culture is screwed up and empty, it's not the guns.

Not sure where your shock is coming from.

That's because the "adults" get all bent out of shape over tiny Lego guns, poptarts chewed into a gun-like shape, and even kids talking about shooting guns with their parents over the weekend. The problem is the adults who are scared of guns and actively working to indoctrinate the kids to fear them as well in order to get them banned.
Major Night Strike

Postby Lootifer on Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:57 pm

Woodruff wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
The Democrats defending IRS abuses and illegal spying programs are the same ones who insist they would never abuse a gun registry database.

Rep. Steve Stockman

I mean, I've seen some Democrats who think the IRS thing is largely eyewash, but I haven't spoken with a single Democrat who isn't upset about the illegal spying program, and most of them have been well aware of it since before Obama was President.

Anything, Phatscotty?

You're probably foed.
I go to the gym to justify my mockery of fat people.
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby Woodruff on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:30 pm

Lootifer wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:

Rep. Steve Stockman

Anything, Phatscotty?

You're probably foed.

You're suggesting that I've been foed for the fifteenth time? How convenient for him. It always seems to happen so conveniently, in fact.

Funny that, because he would never avoid legitimate questions. Just ask him!
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby Evil Semp on Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:11 pm

Night Strike wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
TeeGee wrote:Living in Australia, I have no real opinion on gun control in A-merry-car or any other country or vehicle.. But saw this online.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/guns/toddlers-killed-more-americans-terrorists-did-year

less than 60 years ago, children used to bring their guns to school for show and tell. Children have had guns since guns were invented. Children have fed themselves and help feed their families with guns for centuries. My favorite thing to do at my grandpas when I was a child was shoot his guns. I would just tell him "we're going out shooting" and he would say "okay". Society and culture is screwed up and empty, it's not the guns.

That's because the "adults" get all bent out of shape over tiny Lego guns, poptarts chewed into a gun-like shape, and even kids talking about shooting guns with their parents over the weekend. The problem is the adults who are scared of guns and actively working to indoctrinate the kids to fear them as well in order to get them banned.

In this situation the problem isn't the adults who are scared of guns, it is the adults who did not secure those weapons.
Captain Evil Semp
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Woodruff on Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:15 pm

Evil Semp wrote:
Night Strike wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:

In this situation the problem isn't the adults who are scared of guns, it is the adults who did not secure those weapons.

Oh you...and your...facts.

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:24 pm

Guns aren't the issue, they've never been, it's always been human nature. Banning them/controlling them doesn't solve anything. A. Criminals don't follow laws, dur. B. There will always be guns, a need for guns, and the advancement of deadlier weapons. I'm not saying you need to have an assault rifle, but limiting magazine size, calibers, etc is idiotic, you'll still die if I shoot you somewhere vital despite the caliber, applies the same thing for a magazine, it just sounds like someone was wholly dependent on that the perp would be a terrible shot in every case. C. Guns are just about as deadly as a knife, a pen/pencil, a broken bottle, broken cue stick, whatever. The only major difference is that it's ranged and has a higher fatality rate due to easy use, or even improper use. (I hear it all the time, I can give examples of improper use if you'd like)

Note - This is everything I've heard or that's supposable affecting my state. Didn't read all 56 pages of this obviously.
Dukasaur wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:taking medical advice from this creature; a morbidly obese man who is 100% convinced he willed himself into becoming a woman.

Your obsession with mrswdk is really sad.

ConfederateSS wrote:Just because people are idiots... Doesn't make them wrong.
Corporal 1st Class DirtyDishSoap

Postby Phatscotty on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:32 pm

Evil Semp wrote:
Night Strike wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:

I can't find a link to the story today from California where the students had "gun safety day" where they did a "toy gun buyback program". Gun fearing adults are indoctrinating children to fear guns. This had got to be at least the 15th story like this in the last few months, not to mention the other we don't even know about.

And here is another interesting happening related to the issue. People are absolutely blowing things out of proportion, especially at a time where our gun-murder rate is getting lower and lower and lower. Shootings were twice as bad in the 70's and 80's, and that is with a far smaller population as well.

Actress Katee Sackhoff said she lost half of her Twitter followers when she tweeted a message urging people to practice gun safety.

After watching a television report about a four-year-old who accidentally shot and killed his father with a loaded gun that had been left unattended at a friendā€™s house, the ā€œBattlestar Galacticaā€ star tweeted Monday:

ā€œPlease practice gun safety. This is horrible!ā€

Soon after, Sackhoffā€™s Twitter feed blew up with followers advocating gun control instead of gun safety.

ā€œHere's a radical idea folks. How about NO gun?ā€ one wrote.

Sackhoff responded to her critics: ā€œNever gonna happen in the US. Proper gun safety is a necessity though.ā€

That did not satisfy many, who continued to criticize her initial comment.

Sackhoff tried to elaborate on her position: ā€œJust to be clear...I NEVER said automatic guns should be legal!ā€œ

But it was too late. While many came to her defense (ā€œI don't understand why @kateesackhoff got so much flack for a gun safety tweet. She's rightā€), her initial comment apparently cost her about 100,000 Twitter followers.

Later on Monday, Sackhoff tweeted: ā€œOn a lighter note since I've lost half my followers due to talking about gun safety...the sun is shining & Happy Monday! Love your neighbor today!ā€

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/20 ... z2W41AeMaL
Major Phatscotty

Postby thegreekdog on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:37 am

DirtyDishSoap wrote:Guns aren't the issue, they've never been, it's always been human nature. Banning them/controlling them doesn't solve anything. A. Criminals don't follow laws, dur. B. There will always be guns, a need for guns, and the advancement of deadlier weapons. I'm not saying you need to have an assault rifle, but limiting magazine size, calibers, etc is idiotic, you'll still die if I shoot you somewhere vital despite the caliber, applies the same thing for a magazine, it just sounds like someone was wholly dependent on that the perp would be a terrible shot in every case. C. Guns are just about as deadly as a knife, a pen/pencil, a broken bottle, broken cue stick, whatever. The only major difference is that it's ranged and has a higher fatality rate due to easy use, or even improper use. (I hear it all the time, I can give examples of improper use if you'd like)

Note - This is everything I've heard or that's supposable affecting my state. Didn't read all 56 pages of this obviously.

Just wanted to let you know (since you haven't read this thread) that you have two sides arguing stupid things. One side is arguing in favor of an ineffectual law and rules that is a mere placating gesture from the government. The other side is arguing that this ineffectual law will severely limit their constitutional rights and it will become even more dangerous to go out at night. Here's a couple of quick synopses:

thegreekdog wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:So, did y'all solve the gun control problem?

I think so. The plan is to have more or better background checks so that people who already cannot buy guns still can't buy guns. They will also make strawman purchases more illegal, which I'm told will solve all problems.

On the other hand, I've also been told that strengthening background checks will result in criminals killing everyone because no one will be able to get guns anymore.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby Woodruff on Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:00 pm

Phatscotty wrote:I can't find a link to the story today from California where the students had "gun safety day" where they did a "toy gun buyback program".

Heh...yeah, that's pretty dumb.

Phatscotty wrote:Gun fearing adults are indoctrinating children to fear guns. This had got to be at least the 15th story like this in the last few months, not to mention the other we don't even know about.

I'm gonna go ahead and call bullshit on that. There are more stories about kids killing someone with guns than there are stories about communities buying back toy guns from kids.

Phatscotty wrote:After watching a television report about a four-year-old who accidentally shot and killed his father with a loaded gun that had been left unattended at a friendā€™s house, the ā€œBattlestar Galacticaā€ star tweeted Monday:

ā€œPlease practice gun safety. This is horrible!ā€

I have no problem with this at all.

Soon after, Sackhoffā€™s Twitter feed blew up with followers advocating gun control instead of gun safety.

ā€œHere's a radical idea folks. How about NO gun?ā€ one wrote.

Sackhoff responded to her critics: ā€œNever gonna happen in the US. Proper gun safety is a necessity though.ā€

That did not satisfy many, who continued to criticize her initial comment.

Sackhoff tried to elaborate on her position: ā€œJust to be clear...I NEVER said automatic guns should be legal!ā€œ

But it was too late. While many came to her defense (ā€œI don't understand why @kateesackhoff got so much flack for a gun safety tweet. She's rightā€), her initial comment apparently cost her about 100,000 Twitter followers.

Big deal. Honestly. So she lost some Twitter followers...she lost the dregs of stupidity. As someone who doesn't Facebook or Twitter or any of that stuff, I can't say this bothers me in the least. This has literally zero impact on...anything. This is a complete non-story. She handled it well, and that's what matters. And she knows that, I'm sure.

Postby BigBallinStalin on Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:07 pm

DirtyDishSoap wrote:Guns aren't the issue, they've never been, it's always been human nature. Banning them/controlling them doesn't solve anything. A. Criminals don't follow laws, dur. B. There will always be guns, a need for guns, and the advancement of deadlier weapons. I'm not saying you need to have an assault rifle, but limiting magazine size, calibers, etc is idiotic, you'll still die if I shoot you somewhere vital despite the caliber, applies the same thing for a magazine, it just sounds like someone was wholly dependent on that the perp would be a terrible shot in every case. C. Guns are just about as deadly as a knife, a pen/pencil, a broken bottle, broken cue stick, whatever. The only major difference is that it's ranged and has a higher fatality rate due to easy use, or even improper use. (I hear it all the time, I can give examples of improper use if you'd like)

Can you give us some examples?

I'm always looking to avoid doing dumb things, so why not?
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:36 pm

Sure. A couple months ago a guy had hiccups, his buddy decided to scare him by pointing his loaded pistol at him to scare it away, he shoots him and his friend dies.

Another one is a guy gets drunk at a party, decides to show off pistol, the classic "It's not loaded! Look!" shoots himself.

My favorite is this dipshit i work with just got done cleaning his 9mm, decides to do a functions check making it sure works properly, only problem is he loaded it and shoots himself in the thigh.

An older story before I came into the service was that one fellow I worked with for a little bit was trying to breach a door with a shotgun, well he turns his head away and ends up shooting the guy beside him in the leg. Don't know how that was possible but yeah.

Only other one I can think of at the time was a little bit before we deployed a year ago, we went out to a firing range, a SGT grabbed his subordinates attention by yelling his name a few feet away, the guy turns around and for whatever unknown reason, shoots his shoulder.

Too many fucking idiots with guns.
Dukasaur wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:taking medical advice from this creature; a morbidly obese man who is 100% convinced he willed himself into becoming a woman.

Your obsession with mrswdk is really sad.

ConfederateSS wrote:Just because people are idiots... Doesn't make them wrong.
Corporal 1st Class DirtyDishSoap

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:45 pm

Thanks, good to know.

Nice quote, by the way. I'm gonna have a talk with ManB about that....
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Woodruff on Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:50 pm

DirtyDishSoap wrote:Sure. A couple months ago a guy had hiccups, his buddy decided to scare him by pointing his loaded pistol at him to scare it away, he shoots him and his friend dies.

That is fucking...unbelievable. Some serious neuron-firing going on there.

DirtyDishSoap wrote:Another one is a guy gets drunk at a party, decides to show off pistol, the classic "It's not loaded! Look!" shoots himself.

Yeah, alcohol and weaponry is a bad combination. Same with alcohol and fireworks. Hell, alcohol and anything, as far as I'm concerned.

Postby Nobunaga on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:17 pm

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/b ... -1.1381703

My wife, or my son, would have killed the bastard.
Sergeant 1st Class Nobunaga

Postby Lootifer on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:18 am

Nobunaga wrote:http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/beating-caught-homeowner-nanny-cam-article-1.1381703

My wife, or my son, would have killed the bastard.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10890792

And this guy + 3? 5? 10? 23? would also be dead in your same little gun-in-everyones-pocket world.

I am neither strongly against nor strongly for guns; but my point is posting some news stories where under different circumstances some bad dude might not have been allowed to be bad is fucking retarded.
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby Woodruff on Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:26 am

Postby hotfire on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:49 am

I'm all for requiring a key or credit card to operate a gun also....
Colonel hotfire

Postby Woodruff on Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:17 am

hotfire wrote:

Well at least you can congratulate yourself on getting the important information out of the article.

Postby hotfire on Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:57 pm

Woodruff wrote:
hotfire wrote:

Well at least you can congratulate yourself on getting the important information out of the article.

It's really distracting when the conclusion of the article could be improved with freshman year of college level editing...especially from a newspaper of status.
Colonel hotfire

Postby Woodruff on Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:06 pm

hotfire wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
hotfire wrote:

It's really distracting when the conclusion of the article could be improved with freshman year of college level editing...especially from a newspaper of status.

Except that the conclusion of the article wasn't that a gun should have a key or credit card to operate it. Perhaps it isn't the editor who had the issue with the Freshman year of college.

So did you have any thoughts on the actual content of the article?

Postby hotfire on Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:32 pm

it contains some valid points/criticisms, but it wasn't very motivating/moving....what about it impressed u worth sharing?
Colonel hotfire

Postby Woodruff on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:02 am

hotfire wrote:it contains some valid points/criticisms, but it wasn't very motivating/moving....what about it impressed u worth sharing?

The balanced way he approached the need for some added measures regarding guns without being unnecessarily hampering (for instance, background checks). I found it going against both of the "typical arguments" of "you can't do anything to guns or it's against the Second Amendment" and "we need to get rid of guns". Most articles and discussions regarding guns don't tend to be very balanced, even when the author is probably trying to be, so I found it refreshing.

Postby Nobunaga on Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:09 pm

Do citizens have the right to possess guns in Brazil?

What are they using to kill each other in such huge numbers if they don't have guns? Surely some kind of regulation is called for.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/07/18 ... -30-years/
Sergeant 1st Class Nobunaga

Postby Lootifer on Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:44 pm

What possible relevance does this have to the gun control debate?

The authors of the study blamed impunity (only five to eight percent of crimes are solved in Brazil compared with 80 percent in France) and insufficient efforts to combat a prevailing culture of violence.

Seriously Im tempted to report your post its that absurd...
Lieutenant Lootifer

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,