Conquer Club

What video/computer game are you currently playing?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: What video/computer game are you currently playing?

Postby thegreekdog on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:44 am

Sometimes people need a break from the old "sit and think" games. Hell, I play Call of Duty too.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby Woodruff on Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:43 pm

I just started playing "Faster Than Light". It reminds me a LOT of the old Rogue games, although it's really very different in nature. I like it. A lot.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:54 pm

FTL is pretty decent game, well worth the few bucks. I still haven't unlocked all the ships. Ha.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Lootifer on Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:35 pm

Woodruff wrote:I just started playing "Faster Than Light". It reminds me a LOT of the old Rogue games, although it's really very different in nature. I like it. A lot.

I liked it, but I felt it didnt have enough depth to it. My short attention span does tend to require a bit more feedback/reward from gomes structured the way FTL is. (I made a post about FTL a few pages ago).
I go to the gym to justify my mockery of fat people.
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby Woodruff on Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:27 pm

Lootifer wrote:
Woodruff wrote:I just started playing "Faster Than Light". It reminds me a LOT of the old Rogue games, although it's really very different in nature. I like it. A lot.

I liked it, but I felt it didnt have enough depth to it. My short attention span does tend to require a bit more feedback/reward from gomes structured the way FTL is. (I made a post about FTL a few pages ago).

I think your post is actually what got me to looking for it, if I remember correctly.

And I agree with you about the depth...I can only run through it once or twice at a sitting. But it's a great one-off game when I don't have a lot of time to spend.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby Lootifer on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:16 pm

Yeh it def is that. Very well polished for an indie game too.
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:35 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:I've heard that Fez is a decent game. Anyone play it? It is 9.99 on GOG.com, but I'll probably wait for even more of a deal.

Gog.com is having a massive sale, and Fez is a game I've been waiting to see if they mark it down (though 9.99 is a deal anyways). Now it is 4.99

FTL is also on sale for $2.50

Check it, and tons of massive bundles they have discounted: http://www.gog.com/

--Andy

Postby Woodruff on Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:49 pm

If you like RPGs and want a taste of something a bit...different...Recettear is a lot of fun. It really is a great game once you get into it, though the tutorial may give you the impression that it's silly...it's really peripherally silly, but a lot of fun.

In fact, BigBallinStalin in particular would probably LOVE it.

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:02 pm

Hrm, maybe. Even though I'm an economist, dealing with sales, debt, and money doesn't excite me too much.

I've been digging FTL. The uncertainty, the difficult decisions, and the inability to see one's plans come into fruition are extremely enjoyable aspects of the game. No saving before trying something risky. No steady streams of useful goods to purchase. No sitting around the same area to grossly level up. And there are plenty of regrettable mistakes to be made!

It's you and a dependable crew, battling through the blackness of space, trying to deliver crucial information to Whoever. In the battles, when you lose, you lose hard, and when you win, maybe you'll make it through the next one. Maybe...

FTL is probably the best RPG(ish) I've played. I really enjoy the uncertainty. Games get boring when you detect the patterns and play off them to your success. FTL can simply level your plans. It is one of the few games which challenges one's ability to design a robust enough team and ship to deal with a multitude of problems.

RPGs like Oblivion are boring because they're predictable and are not challenging. If they are 'challenging', they simply give the AI more health, but the level of uncertainty remains very minor, so the boredom becomes prolonged. You're always striding confidently through the game, defeating whatever, and not really worrying about much.

Where's the feeling of imminent doom? Where's the "oh shit!" factor? It occurs when you realize you might not win the battle--and if you retreat, you'll very likely die. In games like Oblivion, you can casually stroll from any fight while glancing off the fire and arrows. There's no agonizingly slow retreat because you can't get crippled in the game! Where's the game that punishes you for being a coward? Or punishes you for making a dumb mistake? With those games, money comes easily, risk and uncertainty are almost nonexistent, and the consequences are insignificant (e.g. invulnerable NPCs, offending an NPC doesn't permanently close off dialogue, choosing path X doesn't close the opposite path Y, choosing either X or Y doesn't really matter anyway, etc.). Fantasy: "You can do anything, and it doesn't have to make sense!" Reality: "Here's some scrap; make it gold."

Oblivion-esque is the World of Wimps with its glossy graphics and lame gameplay. Those games are for people who say No to life. FTL is for people who say Yes to life.* FTL is the tight rope over the abyss, and Oblivion is riding in a cab being fat, sloppy, and drunk.

*Actually, the people who said Yes aren't playing video games. :P
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:04 pm

Another good game was that side-scroller where you wake up from your apartment, and you've got to (1) figure out what('s) happened, and (2) dodge/kill extremely dangerous zombie freaks.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Woodruff on Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:29 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:Hrm, maybe. Even though I'm an economist, dealing with sales, debt, and money doesn't excite me too much.

The game really makes it highly enjoyable and EXTREMELY challenging, though. Like...high-end difficulty, in my opinion.

BigBallinStalin wrote:I've been digging FTL. The uncertainty, the difficult decisions, and the inability to see one's plans come into fruition are extremely enjoyable aspects of the game. No saving before trying something risky. No steady streams of useful goods to purchase. No sitting around the same area to grossly level up. And there are plenty of regrettable mistakes to be made!

It's you and a dependable crew, battling through the blackness of space, trying to deliver crucial information to Whoever. In the battles, when you lose, you lose hard, and when you win, maybe you'll make it through the next one. Maybe...

FTL is probably the best RPG(ish) I've played. I really enjoy the uncertainty. Games get boring when you detect the patterns and play off them to your success. FTL can simply level your plans. It is one of the few games which challenges one's ability to design a robust enough team and ship to deal with a multitude of problems.

It really is a blast. And much of what you list here is why I think of it so much like the old Rogue game (which I still also play). And after literally hundreds of play-throughs, I've managed to defeat the enemy mothership once. Not "three times for final victory once"...but rather..."only once of three needed".

BigBallinStalin wrote:

I don't think I like your attitude.

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:00 am

Woodruff wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:Hrm, maybe. Even though I'm an economist, dealing with sales, debt, and money doesn't excite me too much.

The game really makes it highly enjoyable and EXTREMELY challenging, though. Like...high-end difficulty, in my opinion.

I'll check it out then!

Woodruff wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:I've been digging FTL. The uncertainty, the difficult decisions, and the inability to see one's plans come into fruition are extremely enjoyable aspects of the game. No saving before trying something risky. No steady streams of useful goods to purchase. No sitting around the same area to grossly level up. And there are plenty of regrettable mistakes to be made!

It really is a blast. And much of what you list here is why I think of it so much like the old Rogue game (which I still also play). And after literally hundreds of play-throughs, I've managed to defeat the enemy mothership once. Not "three times for final victory once"...but rather..."only once of three needed".

I've won twice out of 33 times. I almost won a third time, but true to the nature of the game, shit got real suddenly, and I died. It took me a few seconds to understand what happened.

I can get there (usually without too much difficulty)* using the Engi Cruiser. You sit back, keep hitting their shields with the ion, and throw out an anti-missile drone, and an anti-ship drone. When their shields are down, cut into their ship with that beam cannon thing (halberd?).

If you want to get fancy, you can also wreak havoc with a fire cannon and teleport those Rock guys in there. Killing the crew earns greater profits, so half-way to 3/4 of the way through, you'll have enough scraps to max out shields and weapons/drones.

*The Engi Cruiser starts with a weak crew, so it's easy to be killed by intruders early on.

Woodruff wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

I don't think I like your attitude.

Major BigBallinStalin

Postby chapcrap on Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:04 am

Conquer Club.

I miss the days of game consoles though. Sadly, I haven't played much since Elder Scrolls 3. Then my XBox broke and I had a kid.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Woodruff on Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:38 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:I've won twice out of 33 times. I almost won a third time, but true to the nature of the game, shit got real suddenly, and I died. It took me a few seconds to understand what happened.

I have noticed that I get very tunnel-visioned when I have boarders on my ship, often failing to notice that my own drones have been knocked out.

BigBallinStalin wrote:I can get there (usually without too much difficulty)* using the Engi Cruiser. You sit back, keep hitting their shields with the ion, and throw out an anti-missile drone, and an anti-ship drone. When their shields are down, cut into their ship with that beam cannon thing (halberd?).

Of the three ships I have access to so far, the Engi Cruiser is BY FAR my favorite. The other two have good things about them, but the bad things are ENORMOUSLY bad, in my opinion. I agree with you on the "ion cannon thing with anti-ship drone" strategy...it's pretty devastating.

BigBallinStalin wrote:If you want to get fancy, you can also wreak havoc with a fire cannon and teleport those Rock guys in there. Killing the crew earns greater profits, so half-way to 3/4 of the way through, you'll have enough scraps to max out shields and weapons/drones.

I haven't experimented much at all with transporting my guys over, so perhaps that's what I need to start working on.

BigBallinStalin wrote:*The Engi Cruiser starts with a weak crew, so it's easy to be killed by intruders early on.

I really haven't found this to be true, to be honest. The Engi Cruiser's "auto-heal capability" (I don't remember what it's called) more than offsets that, in my opinion.

Postby Woodruff on Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:39 pm

chapcrap wrote:Conquer Club.

I miss the days of game consoles though. Sadly, I haven't played much since Elder Scrolls 3. Then my XBox broke and I had a kid.

The last game console I played on was an Atari (probably the 2600). That was before I owned a computer. I've never been very drawn to console gaming, to be honest.

Postby Gillipig on Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:30 pm

chapcrap wrote:Conquer Club.

Wow, so you gave birth? Impressive, especially if you're a guy ;)!
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:27 pm

GOG.com is having another big sale. FTL is like $3, Fez is like $5, Back to the Future: The Game??? Is $3.75. Lots of bundles too.

--Andy

Postby muy_thaiguy on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:37 pm

I say Andy should play the E.T. game.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:44 pm

Amazon selling Bioshock 1, 2, and Infinite for $40.00 (via steam download). I already purchased 1 and 2, so I'll just continue to wait for Infinite to drop in price, since I haven't even started #2 yet. Still working my way through X-Com, Enemy Unknown.

--Andy

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:02 pm

STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT 2 for PS2 lol. :P
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby Lootifer on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:05 pm

Woodruff wrote:If you like RPGs and want a taste of something a bit...different...Recettear is a lot of fun. It really is a great game once you get into it, though the tutorial may give you the impression that it's silly...it's really peripherally silly, but a lot of fun.

Jaysus, 20 bucks, f that.

Also BBS do you play FTL on easy? Cause i am terrible at games and failed like a trooper on normal; it kinda put me off.
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:37 am

Lootifer wrote:
Woodruff wrote:If you like RPGs and want a taste of something a bit...different...Recettear is a lot of fun. It really is a great game once you get into it, though the tutorial may give you the impression that it's silly...it's really peripherally silly, but a lot of fun.

Also BBS do you play FTL on easy? Cause i am terrible at games and failed like a trooper on normal; it kinda put me off.

I never play on Easy.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby Woodruff on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:44 am

Lootifer wrote:

Is it that much at the moment? Yes, I would wait for it to be on Steam-Sale. That's how I got it. Definitely keep it on your list, though - it's worth $20 to me now that I've played it, but I probably wouldn't have gotten it initially for $20 either.

Lootifer wrote:Also BBS do you play FTL on easy? Cause i am terrible at games and failed like a trooper on normal; it kinda put me off.

It's DEFINITELY MUCH more difficult on normal (but not unplayable). I prefer easy mode myself, and I definitely use easy mode to unlock different ships and such...but I venture into normal on occasion when I want "the big boy challenge!".

Postby GreecePwns on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:48 am

Jdsizzleslice wrote:STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT 2 for PS2 lol. :P

Damn, are the online servers still up for that?
Chariot of Fire wrote:As for GreecePwns.....yeah, what? A massive debt. Get a job you slacker.

Viceroy wrote:[The Biblical creation story] was written in a time when there was no way to confirm this fact and is in fact a statement of the facts.
Corporal GreecePwns

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:26 pm

As someone else mentioned in another topic on this forum I believe, Steam is having their summer sale starting today through the 22nd. Lots of pretty decent deals. Anyone have any Steam discounted games to recommend?

Bioshock 1, 2, and Infinite are discounted. Skyrim and the DLCs are discounted right the next shor while. FTL is discounted. XCom Enemy Unknown discounted. The Cave is discounted. Civ 5 is discounted. I'm waiting to see is REUS gets discounted.

--Andy

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,