Conquer Club

Mayo?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Where do you stand?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:29 am

Total votes : 0

Mayo?

Postby Frito Bandito on Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:29 am

I love Mayonnaise!
Captain Frito Bandito

Re: Mayo?

Postby #1_stunna on Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:45 am

Worst shit ever made by man.
Last edited by #1_stunna on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12:17:31 ‹Pixar› im gonna be fappin to that all night long
10:59:12 ‹rhp 1› holy hell... that did it.. I pissed myself
15:15:52 ‹Ace Rimmer› Sackett58, I think I may get some action this weekend
15:16:05 ‹Sackett58› Right hand or left Ace?
Major #1_stunna

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:59 am

I pretty much never use Mayo for anything, nor am I really a fan of it. However, the one thing I do use it for (or did when I was growing up), was making sandwich meat.

show

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Woodruff on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:17 pm

Frito Bandito wrote:I love Mayonnaise!

I like it on french fries.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby JBlombier on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:37 pm

In Holland we have no idea what Hollandaise sauce is. Well, at least I don't and I never see it anywhere.
We all use mayonnaise regularly, though. Particularly for fries, like Woodruff stated. It's just a very good combination. Just don't put French mayonnaise on it, that has way too sour taste on it.
Colonel JBlombier

Postby KoolBak on Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:12 pm

I thot that was a great white hoser thang.....

"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant KoolBak

Postby jonesthecurl on Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:13 pm

I'm busy right now, but a coupla years ago I did give a recipe here for making yur own mayonnaise - anyone feel like digging it up? It's much better than bottled.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:18 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:I'm busy right now, but a coupla years ago I did give a recipe here for making yur own mayonnaise - anyone feel like digging it up? It's much better than bottled.

Only because I like you, Jonesy:

Subject: Whicch condiment is best?

jonesthecurl wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:
b.k. barunt wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:Except for that bear.

Where's that recipe for mayo?

Honibaz

Currently busy cooking - will post recipe later.

OK:this'll make you just over an English pint (20 fl oz). It contains raw egg yolk, so don't feed it to pregnant women or the elderly and infirm.

MAYONNAISE, JONESTHECURL STYLE

Take 4 egg yolks, and (in a refridgerated bowl)break em up and stir in a pinch of salt, and some mustard. Use a wooden spoon.

(A word about the mustard: if you are using mustard from a jar, there should be about a teaspoon.Dijon works well, English slightly better. Personally I like to use fresh-ground mustard seeds, but then you need only about half a teaspoon).

Now add 20 fluid ounces of oil.
( A word about the oil - you should experiment to see which you like best. Do Not use all Extra-Virgin Olive Oil. It will cost you several limbs, and the taste is overwhelming. Standard Olive oil is good (you can always add EVOO for the last ounce or so to boost the taste), Sunflower works well, Rapeseed/Canola not tasty enough for my money.)

At the beginning, add it literally a drop at a time. Beat it until the oil/egg mixture is a single consistency. After a little while you can add a bit more at a time. Once you are up to around 4 oz, ditch the wooden spoon and get out your whisk. (I use a stick whisk (a wire frame with a springy spiral-type thing on the end).

Incidentally, I strongly advice against using anything electrical for this - the whisk moves too fast, generates heat, and actually cooks the egg a bit.

Once you're up to about 10 ounces, beat in a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice and a little lemon zest.

You need a little vinegar at this point.
(A word about the vinegar: what you use depends again on personal taste. I love to use white balsamic, but cider vinegar works too as does white wine vinegar. The cheapest alternative is distilled white vinegar, and that works perfectly well).

From now until the end of the whisking alternate a dollop of oil and a drop of vinegar. You should use about 2 talblespons of vinegar altogether.

The mixture should be smooth and thick (much like me really) by the end of this process.

Taste it and add a coupla grinds of pepper plus some more salt if it needs it (no more than a pinch or two).

You now have perfect home-made mayo. It has only salt and vinegar as preservatives, but it'll keep for maybe three or four days in the fridge. I don't know, truly: it never lasts that long.

To make the perfect potato salad, take about three ounces of the mayo, add a teaspoon of pureed garlic.
Boil two pounds of potatoes (small and waxy rather than large or floury - In the US I use "fingerling" potatoes, back in the UK I favoured Jersey Royals) until they are cooked through but not falling apart*), chop two scallions/spring onions, including all the bulb and the green bit(but not the roots), and mix it all up with a large pinch of dried mint (you can use fresh, but only if you expect it all to be eaten within the hour - after that the fresh mint wilts and makes it look a bit sad). And, uh, that's it.

*an unhealthy, but delicious possibility is to use bigger potatoes, add LOTS of salt to the water - about four tablespoons, and let the potatoes cook for a long while at a low heat until most of the water evaporates. Drain, and return the potatoes to the heat until they're dry. They will have little crystals of salt all over them. I was inspired to this one by the Canary Islands speciality "Papas Aragudas" or "Old Lady Potatoes" (so called because they go wrinkly), which are usually served with a choice of spicy green and red salsas - but I discovered they go great in a potato salad too.

Y'know, it's not hard to get me going on about food...

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby waauw on Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:44 pm

Woodruff wrote:

I give you a belgian thumbs up for this :)
Lieutenant waauw

Postby betiko on Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:21 pm

I usually do my homemade mayo (i don t add vinegar personally cause the lemon does the job).

But yeah, mayo with fries, mayo with fish. Mayo with fish & chips. Mayo doesn t work with meat at all in my opinion. Any fish with no sauce deserves some huge lemoning + mayo.
Major betiko

Postby Woodruff on Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:44 pm

waauw wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

I give you a belgian thumbs up for this :)

I learned to like it while I was stationed in Germany.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby ManBungalow on Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:46 pm

I'm indifferent, so I voted both God's Ambrosia and Devils Spawn...given the lack of a kitten-based option.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby Frito Bandito on Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:46 pm

Kittens love mayo.
Captain Frito Bandito

Postby jonesthecurl on Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:18 pm

Well, they ain't getting none o' mine.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby The Voice on Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:32 pm

Funny...I saw this thread as I was eating my Panera asiago roast beef sandwich, which I just learned comes with mayo. I've taken to telling people I'm allergic. Good thing I'm not. The ubiquitous sauce has replaced cheese as the thing that gets put on ev-er-y-thang. Had a guy ask me Bill Clinton style if Chipotle mayo was really mayo. It's in the name!
Major The Voice

Postby Woodruff on Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:35 pm

The Voice wrote:Funny...I saw this thread as I was eating my Panera asiago roast beef sandwich, which I just learned comes with mayo. I've taken to telling people I'm allergic. Good thing I'm not. The ubiquitous sauce has replaced cheese as the thing that gets put on ev-er-y-thang. Had a guy ask me Bill Clinton style if Chipotle mayo was really mayo. It's in the name!

The difference is that cheese legitimately BELONGS WITH EVERYTHING. I loves me some cheese.

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:57 am

#1_stunna wrote:Worst shit ever made by man.

Truth.

-TG
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby Funkyterrance on Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:04 am

Well its crucial to some things like BLTs, cole slaw, etc.
I'm not crazy about it straight up but it's the main ingredient in one of my favorite condiments:tartar sauce. I eat as much fish as I can get my hands on so TS is a pretty important part of my diet. I also use tartar sauce on my fries, but never straight mayo, that's just nasty.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:29 am

Cinco?
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Ace Rimmer on Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:36 am

It makes great lube
Lieutenant Ace Rimmer

Postby KoolBak on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:30 am

Funkyterrance wrote:Well its crucial to some things like BLTs, cole slaw, etc.
I'm not crazy about it straight up but it's the main ingredient in one of my favorite condiments:tartar sauce. I eat as much fish as I can get my hands on so TS is a pretty important part of my diet. I also use tartar sauce on my fries, but never straight mayo, that's just nasty.

Well thank you Funky-T...couldn't have said it better myself. My bride works for the largest seafood wholesaler in the country and frequently brings fishy type products home; just brought some rock fish trim home last week (2 lbs for $2....hell yeah); breaded, fried, slathered in homemade tartar....mmmm mmm mmmm.....
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant KoolBak

Postby betiko on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:12 am

Ace Rimmer wrote:It makes great lube

Not true it irritates inner tissues
Major betiko

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,