Conquer Club

[Vacation - retooling] Q*onqr (1v1)

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[Vacation - retooling] Q*onqr (1v1)

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:40 pm

Q*onqr

Map Name:Q*onqr
Submitted: 7/11/2013
Mapmaker: Dolomite13
Number of Territories: 50
Max Players: 2
Special Features: conditional borders, starting positions, auto deploy, win conditions.
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made: I would love to see more dedicated 1v1 maps and I had a thought that if the game play were done in format utilizing conditional borders and a few different win conditions it could be a challenging mental puzzle. I also added the little monsters to make it feel like a classic 80's video game and to make it feel a little more lighthearted.

*@#!$ and ?!#@ are locked in an epic struggle for the isometric land of Q*bia. Who will the menacing Q*bions side with?

Assaults
- Yellow spaces may not assault any other space (these are dead ends)
- Spaces on each side of the map marked with a star and diamond can assault the disc on their side of the map.
- Discs may assault any yellow space.
- Green and Purple can assault their same color spaces in bordering hexes.
- If you control the yellow space in a hex the Green and Purple spaces in that hex are adjacent.

Bonuses
+1 for holding all three spaces in a given hex.
+2 autodeploy on the three hexes bordering the Power Ball

Win Conditions
if you hold all of the spaces of a given color at the beginning of your turn you win.

Starting Troops
- All cube sides start with 3
- Disc's start with 5 neutral and are Killer 5
- The marked territories start as player 1 or player 2 (red or green) all other are neutral

Decay
Spaces in the three hexes that border red monsters lose one per turn

Killer
Disc’s reset to 5 every turn when held

Map 0.0.8
http://imageshack.com/a/img809/433/rtjq.png

0.0.4 - Draft - http://imageshack.com/a/img20/9461/uh2y.png
0.0.3a Draft - http://imageshack.com/a/img89/3536/nikz.png
0.0.3 Draft - http://imageshack.com/a/img89/3536/nikz.png
0.0.2 Draft - http://imageshack.com/a/img841/9095/m983.png
0.0.1 Draft - http://imageshack.com/a/img841/9095/m983.png

The Copyright Agreement

The author retains copyright on their work, and gives Conquer Club permission to use the imagery free of charge, for as long as Conquer Club sees fit on the Conquer Club website. Conquer Club cannot sell, lease, or lend the right to use the images to anyone else. The author swears that their map is their own work, or a legal derivative work and by submitting it, do hereby claim all responsibility for that being true.
Last edited by dolomite13 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Re: Q*onqr (1v1) - Idea/Proposal

Postby Aleena on Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:06 pm

I see that each monster starts with troops - but does not state what areas these monsters can assault if any - I assume they would be a 1-way access to the map and onto Purple and green spaces - but not sure which ones.

How I understand it -
in one cube - purple can attack green and vise versa
Both purple and green can attack yellow
Once on yellow your trapped but it opens up the purple and green spaces to be able to attack adjacent cubes of the same color sections.

If you only start in a yellow - then you can not move at all in this game - if you must move off your monster - where does the monster target...

Outside of that I think it is a cute idea - I like the top left monster, but the bottom right monster not so much....
Private 1st Class Aleena

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:30 pm

Aleena wrote:I see that each monster starts with troops - but does not state what areas these monsters can assault if any - I assume they would be a 1-way access to the map and onto Purple and green spaces - but not sure which ones.

Oops .. monsters can assault any territory that is yellow, purple, or green

Aleena wrote:How I understand it -
in one cube - purple can attack green and vise versa
Both purple and green can attack yellow
Once on yellow your trapped but it opens up the purple and green spaces to be able to attack adjacent cubes of the same color sections.

Sort of .... except that the only assaults at the start of the game are from monster to the game board ... the game board drops you randomly on 6 yellows... conquering a purple or green where you ahve a yellow grants you access to neighboring green or purple from the game board... purple and green never attack one another.

Aleena wrote:If you only start in a yellow - then you can not move at all in this game - if you must move off your monster - where does the monster target...

Yes .... monsters can assault any territory that is yellow, purple, or green

Aleena wrote:Outside of that I think it is a cute idea - I like the top left monster, but the bottom right monster not so much....

Me too ... looking for a good free replacement still... if I do the map I will probably draw it myself

Thanks so much for your feedback

=D13=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby Aleena on Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:39 pm

I think it would be better if the monsters only can attack the two purple or green spaces that are adjacent to them...

So the monster on the left can attack the purple space to the right and below it
And
the monster on the right can attack the green space to it's left and below it.

Having the monsters the ability to attack any and all spaces - sort of takes away from the unlocking feature you've placed in the cubes... This way it's sort of like a maze for both sides until they meet in the center and fight for dominance.
Private 1st Class Aleena

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:46 pm

Aleena wrote:I think it would be better if the monsters only can attack the two purple or green spaces that are adjacent to them...

So the monster on the left can attack the purple space to the right and below it
And
the monster on the right can attack the green space to it's left and below it.

Having the monsters the ability to attack any and all spaces - sort of takes away from the unlocking feature you've placed in the cubes... This way it's sort of like a maze for both sides until they meet in the center and fight for dominance.

Need monsters to be able to assault yellow to get the win condition related to that. And with a random deploy on the yellow to start I would see it being possible to start with an advantage.

The unlocking feature is more for keeping play viable in nukes games but I agree there probably needs to be some limits on the monsters.

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby Aleena on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:57 pm

If the players Control the Green and the Blue of the same cube they can attack the Yellow - so with this aspect alone - they are able to reach the win condition - for what they need is to capture both the purple and the green of eight cubes and from those attack their yellows... Might be hard - but possible. No need to have the monsters bombard or assault yellows at all... If I understand this correctly...

you have 19 cubes - If you have the drop on 18 of them - having 9 yellow randomly assigned to monster "A" and the other randomly assigned to monster "B" then have the center cube's yellow spot as a special bonus if controlled and is the only one that starts out as an neutral - I do not think no matter what the drop is - that their would be an advantage. Though I'd raise the win condition in this case to 10 (or 12) cubes instead of 8.

The reason I do not think their would be an advantage is because the map if cut in half is pretty much the same on both sides - so even if the first monster get's all the yellow closet to itself - by extension so would the other monster for that is what is left over.
Private 1st Class Aleena

Postby Bruceswar on Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:51 am

QBERT! Welcome back NES! Interesting idea for a map. :)
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:05 am

Bruceswar wrote:QBERT! Welcome back NES! Interesting idea for a map. :)

Good old Q*bert predates NES by a year but your @!#?@! close as Q*bert might say ;)

Aleena wrote:If the players Control the Green and the Blue of the same cube they can attack the Yellow - so with this aspect alone - they are able to reach the win condition - for what they need is to capture both the purple and the green of eight cubes and from those attack their yellows... Might be hard - but possible. No need to have the monsters bombard or assault yellows at all... If I understand this correctly...

Actually purple and green are completely separate. They only attack the same color as themselves in bordering hexes if you hold the matching yellow. This makes it so you can only attack the board from the monsters. However if your monster was nuked out of the game you could not take any new yellows and would have a much harder time winning. I would like to come up with a solution for this problem.

Aleena wrote:you have 19 cubes - If you have the drop on 18 of them - having 9 yellow randomly assigned to monster "A" and the other randomly assigned to monster "B" then have the center cube's yellow spot as a special bonus if controlled and is the only one that starts out as an neutral - I do not think no matter what the drop is - that their would be an advantage. Though I'd raise the win condition in this case to 10 (or 12) cubes instead of 8.

The way I understand 2 player game drops is that all of the randomly assigned territories are divided by 3 with player 1, player 2, and neutral being assigned one third each.

- With 19 each player gets 6 and 7 start neutral.
- With 18 each player gets 6 and 6 start neutral.

Overall I am looking for a map that does the following things.

- encourages you to take territories that match the yellows you start with the neutral drop on.
- encourages you to not just conquer neutrals but to selectively counter your opponents moves
- doesn't penalize either player if their monster is nuked out.

===========================================================

What if

Assaults & Bombards
- Monster could assault any yellow on the map
- Monsters could assault their color anywhere on the map (player 1 - purple / player 2 - green)
- Monsters could bombard their opposite color in a hex if you controlled your color in that hex (player 1 - green / player 2 - purple)
- Green and Purple could assault their respective monsters (that way you could get it back or reinforce to it)
- If you control both the yellow and your color in a hex the color in that hex can assault its same color in neighboring hexes.

Bonuses
- Troop bonuses are +1 for every 3 territories
- For every "yellow and your color in a hex combo" you get a bonus of +1
- Monsters auto deploy 2
- green & purple autodeploy 1

Win Conditions
- Control 10 yellow & your color combos (1 more than 1/2 the yellows) and win the game
- Control all of your color and win the game

Starting Troops
- Yellows start with 5
- Green & Purple start with 2
- Monsters start with 1

Thoughts?

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby Aleena on Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:54 pm

I still think your giving the monsters too much power - what about this?

oh, and your right about on a two player map it drops in 3 sections, one of AI.
Sorry I forgot...

Assaults & Bombards
- Monster could assault only adjacent cubes of same color
- If you control the yellow of a cube then the color (purple, green) in that hex can assault its same color in neighboring hexes.
- Green and purple areas in same cube can assault each other.

Bonuses
- Troop bonuses are +1 for every 3 territories
- For every completed cube (control all 3 areas) you get a bonus of +1
- Monsters auto deploy 2
- center cube top deploy 3

Win Conditions
- Control 10 yellow & a monster to win the game
- Control a monster and all of the colors of that monster to win the game

Starting Troops
- Yellows start with 5
- Green & Purple start with 2
- Monsters start with 1
-Cube top links to monsters start 5
-center cube top 9

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

If you like this, then you might have to move the right monster down one cube to be equally lined-up with the other monster and equal distance from the cubes that assault the monsters.

The new cubes work the same as the other cubes except when controlling the top portion - instead of allowing the bottom sections to attack adjacent cubes - it allows them to attack a monster instead. So once in one of these two cubes the only way out is through a monster and that is only if you control the top section.
Private 1st Class Aleena

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:38 pm

Some interesting ideas there Aleena.

I think all of those changes might make it too much of a standard conquer style map and I would be more inclined to make the map smaller rather than larger with these sorts of changes. My mantra on this one is to try and keep it as simple as possible but create a map where what you conquer is more important than how much you conquer. I'll think about it and post more comprehensive thoughts when I get a chance to fiddle with my maps this weekend.

Thanks for your feedback it is greatly appreciated.

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:03 pm

I like the idea.... mainly because I used to love that game! :)

I hope you can make it work.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Aleena on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:49 pm

Good Luck,

Over all I think it's a cute idea and I hope you make it work...
Private 1st Class Aleena

Postby Seamus76 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:19 am

Dukasaur wrote:I like the idea.... mainly because I used to love that game! :)

I hope you can make it work.
I agree, great idea,it looks fun. I played this on my Commodor64 when I was a kid.

I'll be back to see if I can help out with anything.
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

Re: Q*onqr (1v1) - Gameplay Update 7/29

Postby dolomite13 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:25 pm

Major Game Play Update.

=D13=

Assaults
- Monster could assault any yellow on the map
- Monsters could assault their color anywhere on the map (player 1 - purple / player 2 - green)
- Monsters could bombard their opposite color in a hex if you controlled your color in that hex (player 1 - green / player 2 - purple)
- Green and Purple could assault their respective monsters (that way you could get it back or reinforce to it)
- If you control both the yellow and your color in a hex the color in that hex can assault its same color in neighboring hexes.

Bonuses
+1 for every 3 spaces of any color.
+3 for spaces in the three hexes bordering the Power Ball
No Standard Territory Bonus

Win Conditions
If you hold at least ten of a given color spaces and their matching yellow space or if you
hold all of the spaces of a given color at the beginning of your turn you win.

Assaults
- Yellow spaces may not assault other spaces.
- Space that border their corresponding color disc may assault that disc.
- Disc’s may assault any yellow space.
- Green and Purple spaces may assault the opposite color in a hex where you control the yellow space.
- Green and Purple spaces may assault their same color in adjacent hexes

Starting Troops
- Disc's start with 7
- The marked territories start as player 1 or player 2 (red or blue) all other are neutral

Decay

Killer
Disc’s reset to 7 every turn when held

Map 0.0.3
http://imageshack.com/a/img89/3536/nikz.png
Cook dolomite13

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:37 pm

Hmmmm maybe a classic video game look?

D13

Cook dolomite13

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:14 pm

I used to play a little Q-bert back in the day, but I was young enough at the time that I think the game was a little beyond me at the time. I think this would make for a cool CC map :) I like the gameplay as it is, it's different than any other CC map that I can think of. I also like the old style arcade version better than the older version, as far as graphics go, since it fits the theme nicely.
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Re: Q*onqr (1v1)

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:29 pm

Any further feedback before I push for a Draft stamp on this one?

Assaults
- Yellow spaces may not assault any other space (these are dead ends)
- Two spaces on each side of the map that border each color disc can assault that color disc.
- Discs may assault any yellow space.
- Green and Purple can assault their same color spaces in bordering hexes.
- If you control the yellow space in a hex the Green and Purple spaces in that hex are adjacent.

Bonuses
+2 for each space in the three hexes bordering the Power Ball

Win Conditions
if you hold all of the spaces of a given color at the beginning of your turn you win.

Assaults
- Yellow spaces may not assault other spaces.
- Spaces that border their corresponding color disc may assault that disc.
- Disc’s may assault any yellow space.
- Green and Purple spaces may assault the opposite color in a hex where you control the yellow space.
- Green and Purple spaces may assault their same color in adjacent hexes

Starting Troops
- Disc's start with 5 neutral and are Killer 5
- The marked territories start as player 1 or player 2 (red or blue) all other are neutral

Decay

Killer
Disc’s reset to 5 every turn when held

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Re: Q*onqr (1v1)

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:52 pm

dolomite13 wrote:Any further feedback before I push for a Draft stamp on this one?

=D13=

None from me at least.
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Re: Q*onqr (1v1) - Final Feedback Before I Push For Draft St

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:55 am

dolomite, before you can get a stamp, you need to enter the drafting room. Would you like this there? Also, have you asked for 2 players only for nobodies?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Q*onqr (1v1) - Final Feedback Before I Push For Draft St

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:37 am

koontz1973 wrote:dolomite, before you can get a stamp, you need to enter the drafting room. Would you like this there? Also, have you asked for 2 players only for nobodies?

I messaged him this afternoon and we shall see what he says =)

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Re: Q*onqr (1v1) - Seeking 1v1 Approval

Postby dolomite13 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:34 am

I am officially asking for permission to create this 1v1 map.

If accepted please move it up to the drafting room when you have time.

=D13=

I know there is a 3 map limit in the foundry but here is the status of all of my maps.
* Conquer 500 - is in Beta and should be quenched soon after the latest update is pushed.
* Krazy Kingdoms - is in XML check and should be in Beta soon.
* Homeworlds - Is in Gameplay and Graphics development in the main foundry
- Q*onqr - In the Melting Pot awaiting 1v1 approval.
- Valentines Day Map - Still in melting pot awaiting approval to become a seasonal map.
Cook dolomite13

Re: Q*onqr (1v1) - Seeking 1v1 Approval 9/9

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:20 pm

Currently reconsidering how discs work. Currently only two spaces on the map can assault each disc. I would like to change this and probably will.

Possible New Idea
- Purple sides that border the left edge of the map (their are 6) may assault the purple disc.
- Green sides that border the right edge of the map (their are 6) may assault the green disc.
- Discs can assault any yellow location that borders either edge of the map.
- Discs reset to ??? neutral when held.

* Need to add a symbol to the sides that are linked to the discs.

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:12 pm

It has been a while that there's no more map limit in the foundry... :)

Anyway, I have no reason to not allow this map as 1vs1 only.
Remember that it doesn't mean you have a free pass through the foundry. ;)

Let's move this into the drafting room, where we can understand a bit better if there's desire for this map...if there's...then it can be a 1vs1 map.

Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby dolomite13 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:10 pm

Excellent ... ok so who wants to see this as a 1v1 map. We need some interest here so that I can continue work on this... I know we had a lot of feedback in the melting pot but now that were in the drafting room a whole new round can begin.

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby DearCyrus on Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:30 pm

I will be honest... I'm kinda on the fence with this one. I like the look, but I am not in love with the gameplay. The worst part is I have no real idea how I would adjust it. I will try to post more after I review it again.
Corporal 1st Class DearCyrus

Next

Return to Recycling Box