Conquer Club

How can you be Roman Catholic if you don't know Latin?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

How can you be Roman Catholic if you don't know Latin?

Postby 2dimes on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:58 pm

Just curious of other's opinions. Here's mine.

I'd like to live in France and fly out of a lovely grass strip I found, but I don't speak French. I would not be able to explain my intentions on the radio. You can not truly be part of a group if you don't know what the others are saying when they talk with each other.

Even if you are speaking in a language given to you by God himself, it's not good to use around others unless there is someone to translate it.

New American Standard Bible (NASB) 1 Corinthians 14:5-7 wrote:
5 Now I wish that you all spoke in tongues, but even more that you would prophesy; and greater is one who prophesies than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may receive edifying.

6 But now, brethren, if I come to you speaking in tongues, what will I profit you unless I speak to you either by way of revelation or of knowledge or of prophecy or of teaching? 7 Yet even lifeless things, either flute or harp, in producing a sound, if they do not produce a distinction in the tones, how will it be known what is played on the flute or on the harp?

You can not become a Ger tzedek without learning Hebrew and memorising much of the Torah. How then could I be a Roman Catholic if I don't speak Roman and learn to read their Latin bible?
Corporal 2dimes

Re: How can you be Roman Catholic if you don't know Latin?

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:06 pm

Unfortunately the Church has given in to the yammering masses and translated everything into the vernacular, so you needn't worry any more....:)
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby 2dimes on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:33 pm

Anyone else want to make up an answer that is not true?
Corporal 2dimes

Postby tzor on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:52 pm

First, you need to define "know." It is one thing to understand Latin when spoken and another thing to be able to speak it and get all the grammar correct.

The church doesn't use Latin all that often anymore. Even when it was the liturgical language, only the prayers of the Mass was said in Latin. I'm pretty sure that most of the Carmina Burana would have had most church goers scratching their heads at half of the worlds.

If you then go back a century or two everyone (even the Protestants) of education knew Latin, along with Greek.
Cadet tzor

Postby 2dimes on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:11 pm

Better... like the reformation that's a good start.
Corporal 2dimes

WhRe: How can you be Roman Catholic if you don't know Latin?

Postby chang50 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:14 am

tzor wrote:First, you need to define "know." It is one thing to understand Latin when spoken and another thing to be able to speak it and get all the grammar correct.

The church doesn't use Latin all that often anymore. Even when it was the liturgical language, only the prayers of the Mass was said in Latin. I'm pretty sure that most of the Carmina Burana would have had most church goers scratching their heads at half of the worlds.

If you then go back a century or two everyone (even the Protestants) of education knew Latin, along with Greek.

Which was very few people,200 years ago the overwhelming majority of people in Europe and N.America were illiterate in their native languages never mind the Classics.
Re the OP given most religious people across the board (Islam excepted possibly) are merely nominal followers with a sketchy knowledge of the tenets and holy books of their faith,there would be no followers left if the bar was set as high as knowing Latin.
Captain chang50

Postby notyou2 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:49 am

2dimes wrote:Just curious of other's opinions. Here's mine.

I'd like to live in France and fly out of a lovely grass strip I found, but I don't speak French. I would not be able to explain my intentions on the radio. You can not truly be part of a group if you don't know what the others are saying when they talk with each other.

Even if you are speaking in a language given to you by God himself, it's not good to use around others unless there is someone to translate it.

New American Standard Bible (NASB) 1 Corinthians 14:5-7 wrote:
5 Now I wish that you all spoke in tongues, but even more that you would prophesy; and greater is one who prophesies than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may receive edifying.

6 But now, brethren, if I come to you speaking in tongues, what will I profit you unless I speak to you either by way of revelation or of knowledge or of prophecy or of teaching? 7 Yet even lifeless things, either flute or harp, in producing a sound, if they do not produce a distinction in the tones, how will it be known what is played on the flute or on the harp?

You can not become a Ger tzedek without learning Hebrew and memorising much of the Torah. How then could I be a Roman Catholic if I don't speak Roman and learn to read their Latin bible?

First of all, air traffic communications are conducted in English.

Second, how can you be Latin if you aren't Roman Catholic?
Captain notyou2

Re: WhRe: How can you be Roman Catholic if you don't know La

Postby tzor on Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:54 am

chang50 wrote:Which was very few people,200 years ago the overwhelming majority of people in Europe and N.America were illiterate in their native languages never mind the Classics.

We are not talking literacy. Two hundred years ago, there was far less visibility of the printed word. There was very little need for most people in Europe to be literate. Mind you, their own languages were often one or two steps removed from Latin. The average Italian or Frenchman could probably guess the meanings of a significant number of Latin Words. A century earlier, Benjamin Franklin (I'm currently reading his autobiography) remarked that Latin was so much easier to learn once you learned Italian.
Cadet tzor

Postby notyou2 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:59 am

Duh?
Captain notyou2

Postby 2dimes on Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:59 am

notyou2 wrote:First of all, air traffic communications are conducted in English.

Only at large international airports. In most of the world you would need to arrange for English speaking ATC in advance. Some small airports like the one I'm talking about can not provide it. It's one of the reasons flying across the straight from Alaska to Russia in a small plane is a large challenge. That and Russia has quite a few restrictions on private foreign aircraft
Corporal 2dimes

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:31 am

2dimes wrote:How then could I be a Roman Catholic if I don't speak Roman and learn to read their Latin bible?

I guess two things.

(1) I thought the New Testament was originally written in Greek (I'm not saying that because of a bias). Old Testament was probably written in Hebrew (not Latin).

(2) The Baby Boomer generation of Catholics in the United States (e.g. my mother) all know Latin because the mass was said in Latin until the late 1970s.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby jonesthecurl on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:51 am

Well, I studied Latin at school (though I was never a Catholic), and those my friends who didn't go to my school but were Catholic had a very limited rasp of the language - beyond Ave Maria and Pax Vobiscum they were pretty much lost.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby jonesthecurl on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:53 am

Though they knew that Juliua caesar said that Britons were weeny, weedy and weak.
(thank you, Sellers and Yeatman)
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby tzor on Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:43 pm

thegreekdog wrote:I guess two things.

(1) I thought the New Testament was originally written in Greek (I'm not saying that because of a bias). Old Testament was probably written in Hebrew (not Latin).

(2) The Baby Boomer generation of Catholics in the United States (e.g. my mother) all know Latin because the mass was said in Latin until the late 1970s.

The first books of the Old Testament (The Law, the Prophets and some of the Writings) where written in Hebrew. The rest were written in Greek. Jews after Christ rejected the Greek works as not inspired.'

The Greeks translated the Hebrew Scriptures into Greek. Most of the New Testament references use this translation.

One Gospel was written first in Aramaic and then transcribed into Greek. The rest were written in Greek. The writings of the Apostles (especially that of Paul) were written in a traders form of Greek known as Kloine.

The Church in Rome translated the Greek scriptures into Latin, because this was the language commonly used and understood in the West. St. Jerome also used the original Hebrew writings; this became known as the "Vulgate." Here is a hint ... "Vulgate" means " The common speech of a people; the vernacular." In short it was the first attempt to translate the Bible to a language the people (of the West) were more familiar with.
Cadet tzor

Postby tzor on Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:46 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:Well, I studied Latin at school (though I was never a Catholic), and those my friends who didn't go to my school but were Catholic had a very limited rasp of the language - beyond Ave Maria and Pax Vobiscum they were pretty much lost.

My favorite is my friends who love to translate "I have a catapult ..." into Latin.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
I have a catapult. Give me all your money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.
Cadet tzor

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,