Conquer Club

Zimmerman vs. DMX - Boxing Match?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Concerning Zimmerman Verdict

Total votes : 0

Re: Zimmerman Preparing Lawsuit Against NBC

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:03 am

George Zimmerman sues NBC over edited 911 call

SEMINOLE COUNTY, FL (RNN) - George Zimmerman, the man charged with the shooting death of Trayvon Martin, has filed a lawsuit against NBC Universal, claiming the network portrayed him as "a racist and a predatory villain" in the wake of the shooting.

The suit, filed in Seminole County, FL, claims "NBC saw the death of Trayvon Martin not as a tragedy but as an opportunity to increase ratings" and, in their coverage, created a "false and defamatory misimpression" of Zimmerman.

In a news report, NBC edited Zimmerman's 911 call to make it sound like he said to a dispatcher, "This guy [Martin] looks like he's up to no good. He looks black."

The actual exchange with a 911 operator went as follows:

Zimmerman: This guy looks like he's up to no good, like he's on drugs or something. It's raining and he's walking around, looking about.

911 Operator: OK, this guy, is he white, black or Hispanic?

Zimmerman: He looks black.

The suit cites four other instances where the call was allegedly doctored and aired and accuses the network of "manipulating Zimmerman's own words, splicing together disparate parts of the recording to create the illusion of statements that Zimmerman never actually made."

NBC fired three people and issued an apology after an internal investigation into the edit, saying "it became evident that there was an error made in the production process that we deeply regret. We will be taking the necessary steps to prevent this from happening in the future and apologize to our viewers."

The suit names two terminated employees, plus a reporter still employed at NBC.

In response to the suit, a spokesperson for NBC told the Associated Press, "There was no intent to portray Mr. Zimmerman unfairly. We intend to vigorously defend our position in court."

The suit doesn't specify damages sought.

Zimmerman faces second degree murder charges in the death of 17-year-old Martin.

In February, Zimmerman called police to report a suspicious person - Martin, who was unarmed - walking through his gated Florida neighborhood.

The two reportedly got into a scuffle, and Zimmerman shot him at close range.

Martin supporters say he, as a black teenager, was the victim of racial profiling by an overzealous neighborhood watch captain.

Zimmerman, who is Hispanic, claims he was acting in self defense, citing Florida's Stand Your Ground law which allows someone to use deadly force if they feel their life is in danger.
Major Phatscotty

Re: Zimmerman Sues NBC

Postby notyou2 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:14 am

My sympathies to Bob Dylan for sharing a name with that racist bastard.
Captain notyou2

Postby CreepersWiener on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:35 am

When will people quit trusting NBC news? I stopped trusting them when I remember watching this report about GM trucks and then GM found out that NBC put explosives in the gas tanks:

Dateline NBC aired an investigative report on Tuesday, November 17, 1992, titled ā€œWaiting to Explodeā€. The 60 minute program was about General Motors' Rounded-Line Chevrolet C/K-Series pickup trucks allegedly exploding upon impact during accidents due to the poor design of fuel tanks. Dateline's film showed a sample of a low speed accident with the fuel tank exploding. In reality, Dateline NBC producers had rigged the truckā€™s fuel tank with remotely controlled model rocket engines to initiate the explosion. The program did not disclose the fact that the accident was staged. GM hired Failure Analysis Associates (FaAA, now Exponent) whose investigators studied the film, and discovered that smoke actually came out of the fuel tank six frames before impact. Acting on a tip from someone involved in the Dateline crash test, FaAA investigators searched through 22 junkyards in Indiana before finding the charred wreckage of the GM pickups.[7][8] It was also later revealed that the Dateline report had been dishonest about the fuel tanks rupturing and the alleged 30 mph speed at which the collision was conducted. The actual speed was found to be higher, around 40 mph, and after x-ray examination of the fuel tanks from the C/K pickups used in the televised collision, it was found that they had not ruptured and were intact.[9][10] GM subsequently filed an anti-defamation/libel lawsuit against NBC after conducting an extensive investigation. On Monday, February 8, 1993, GM conducted a highly publicized point-by-point rebuttal in the Product Exhibit Hall of the General Motors Building in Detroit that lasted nearly two hours after announcing the lawsuit.[11] The lawsuit was settled the same week by NBC, and Jane Pauley read a 3 minute 30 second on-air apology to viewers.

The General Motors lawsuit and subsequent settlement was arguably the most devastating blow for NBC in a series of reputation damaging incidents during the 1990s and early 2000s. Within NBC, Michael Gartner, who resigned shortly after the incident, was the source for much of the blame. Then-NBC News President Reuven Frank stated Gartner was hired in 1988, despite no TV news background, in an attempt to satisfy parent-company General Electric by replacing current journalists with cheaper, less experienced reporters and producers.[12]

The following Dateline NBC producers were dismissed: Jeff Diamond, executive producer; David Rummel, senior producer; and Robert Read, producer of the report on the pickups. Michele Gillen, the reporter involved in the segment, was transferred to Miami station WTVJ. Michael G. Gartner, president of the news division, resigned under pressure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dateline_NBC

NBC should be sued by Zimmerman. They edited information and tried to spin it off as Zimmerman being some kind of racial profiling executioner!

Never trust NBC news reporting...EVER~!
Army of GOD wrote:I joined this game because it's so similar to Call of Duty.
Sergeant CreepersWiener

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:58 am

NBC news was pretty good when Jane Curtin and Bill Murray were doing Weekend Update. It went downhill after that.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby notyou2 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:18 am

And Akroyd and Curtain in Point/Counterpoint. To quote Akroyd..."Jane you ignorant slut"
Captain notyou2

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:25 pm

OT without Scotty just isn't the same.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Neoteny on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:41 pm

Praise Jesus.
Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
Major Neoteny

Re: George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin

Postby greenoaks on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:04 pm

Phatscotty wrote:How did Zimmerman get a broken nose? How did he get a cut on the back of his head?

who cares?

going after someone and shooting them dead is overkill.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Nobunaga on Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:30 pm

Unprecedented, and in violation of Mr. Zimmerman's rights...

http://www.infowars.com/judge-in-zimmer ... istration/
Sergeant 1st Class Nobunaga

Postby Woodruff on Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:37 pm

Nobunaga wrote:Unprecedented, and in violation of Mr. Zimmerman's rights...

The judge absolutely comes across as at the very least (and certainly more in my opinion) unprofessional and unbecoming of a judge. That being said, how the hell do they tie that to Obama again? I mean, it's like they're taking a legitimate problem and trying as hard as they can to make a farce of it. Is that Alex Jones' thing or something?
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Phatscotty on Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:52 pm

To the people who are threatening to riot and do violence and harm to innocent people and property if their mob rule and social justice demands are not met based on their version of edited lies, give it up.

Martin was a thug and Zimmerman a stand up law abiding citizen just trying to protect his neighborhood that was being completely devastated by a rash of burglaries. It's true that if Zimmerman did not get out of his car, Martin would still be alive. But that's only as true as if Martin was not suspended from school for having drugs in school and didn't get kicked out of his moms house and have to go stay with his dad, he would still be alive. It would also be true that Martin would still be alive if he wasn't high on marijuana to comprehend the situation that he was a stranger who did not live in that neighborhood. If he had only said "I'm staying with my father, Mr. Martin" he would still be alive. perhaps if Zimmerman had stated that he was a neighborhood watchman, Martin would have volunteered the information and dealt with the situation much more rationally and less aggressively. If all the suspects and witness accounts had been of short fat white males plaguing the neighborhood and committing a constant stream of burlgaries and robberies and all kinds of crime, Martin would also still be alive, since people in that community would have been looking/"profiling :roll: " for short fat white males. None of that has anything to do with it though.

All that matters is the dispatcher told Zimmerman "we don't need you to do that" when asked if Zimmerman was following Martin, to which Zimmerman COMPLIED "OKAY." Then Trayvon jumped Zimmerman and used his MMA training and 8 inch height and 14 inch reach advantage to almost beat Zimmerman to death. Zimmerman did the right thing waiting to pull out his gun until the last moment, until it was clear there were no other choices, until it was clear he was having his head bashed into the concrete.
Major Phatscotty

Postby Nobunaga on Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:18 pm

Woodruff wrote:

The judge absolutely comes across as at the very least (and certainly more in my opinion) unprofessional and unbecoming of a judge. That being said, how the hell do they tie that to Obama again? I mean, it's like they're taking a legitimate problem and trying as hard as they can to make a farce of it. Is that Alex Jones' thing or something?

I'm not tying it to Obama. The article also fails to make that connection, imo.

Though his administration certainly has their hands dirty in this whole mess.
Sergeant 1st Class Nobunaga

Postby Phatscotty on Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:30 pm

Nobunaga wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

I'm not tying it to Obama. The article also fails to make that connection, imo.

Though his administration certainly has their hands dirty in this whole mess.

I believe he is referring to Eric Holder's involvement. And there is also the issue of the mayor and lawyers from the DOJ pressuring the police chief into charging Zimmerman.

But the political involvement doesn't go any further than opportunism by the President and the Democrats. And it was brilliant and it worked. Somewhere in this thread I posted the # of "Trayvon supporters" who were then herded from the rally and transformed into a registered voter. I believe it was around 250,000.
Major Phatscotty

Postby Woodruff on Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:38 am

Nobunaga wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

I'm not tying it to Obama.

Yeah, I didn't mean to blame you...that's why I tried to point out that it was an Alex Jones thing. Sorry about that.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby premio53 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:14 pm

If the head is split you must acquit.
http://iowntheworld.com/blog/?p=193277
Lieutenant premio53

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:48 pm

premio53 wrote:If the head is split you must acquit.
http://iowntheworld.com/blog/?p=193277

Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby patrickaa317 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:12 pm

verdict is in, zimmerman was found not guilty
taking a break from cc, will be back sometime in the future.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby patches70 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:31 pm

Before people go all nuts about the injustice of the verdict, they should understand the instructions given to the jury in the case of manslaughter. The 2nd degree murder charge was total BS and that should be painfully obvious by now given the facts. Manslaughter was the only really possible charge that could have had had a chance to stick. The instructions, this was included-

"George Zimmerman cannot be guilty of manslaughter by committing a merely negligent act or if the killing was either justifiable or excusable homicide,"

You should understand that phrase "a merely negligent act".
Sure, Zimmerman probably shouldn't have gotten out of his car.
Sure the whole situation could have been avoided.

But Zimmerman wasn't trespassing, he was on a public street and was completely lawful for him to be there. Once he started getting his ass kicked, rather badly, he defended himself.

And also to note, the Stand your Ground law had no bearing on this case. It was a case of simple self defense or not. Upon viewing all the evidence, the jury found him not guilty. It's probably a fair decision. But let the riots begin for those who care not about the law or evidence.
Those who say that Zimmerman should have been convicted because he got out of his truck, or was carrying a gun, they should read those instructions again. He couldn't be convicted of manslaughter because of "a merely negligent act" and understand that that reasoning falls right into the intent of the instructions the jury had to follow.

You can't convict someone of manslaughter just because they did something stupid that in hindsight seems rather dumb. For self defense the jury just has to be sure that Zimmerman wasn't actually doing anything illegal (he wasn't) and that he had a genuine fear for his safety (he did) which led him to defend himself.

I'm glad this is finally over. And NBC is going to be paying Zimmerman some $'s for the BS they did. It'll be an out of court settlement in the end I'd bet. What Zimmerman is going to do now though, moving forward, isn't going to be very pleasant most likely. He can't be sent to jail for being stupid but life has ways of punishing stupidity none the less. Best of luck to him. He'll need it.....
Private patches70

Postby codeblue1018 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:40 pm

patrickaa317 wrote:verdict is in, zimmerman was found not guilty

Just as I said would happen the day this whole debacle occurred. Is anyone really surprised by this verdict? The state has the burden of proof and failed to prove Zimmerman guilty beyond any reasonable doubt on the evidence presented, period!! This case was brought to justice simply due to political purposes, nothing more. Don't hate Zimmerman, hate Florida law.
Lieutenant codeblue1018

Postby karel on Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:42 pm

glad they found him not guilty,about time the courts got it right...props to his lawyers,been a long time since the courts got it right
Private 1st Class karel

Postby saxitoxin on Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:18 pm

The first head to roll ...

An employee of the Florida State Attorney's Office who testified that prosecutors withheld evidence from George Zimmerman's defense team has been fired.
Ben Kruidbos had been on paid administrative leave since May 28 from his job as director of information technology for the State Attorney's Office.
A spokeswoman for Fourth Judicial Circuit State Attorney Angela Corey said Kruidbos was no longer an employee of the office.

Kruidbos said that, when he printed a 900-page Florida Department of Law Enforcement report from Martin's cell phone in late 2012 or early 2013, he noticed information was missing. Kruidbos said he generated a report that was more than three times the size of the one that had been handed over. For example, Kruidbos said that 2,958 photos were in the report given to the defense but that his report contained 4,275 photos. Kruidbos also said that he has been told to not put specific case-identifying information into internal e-mails. Through his attorney, Wesley White, Kruidbos informed Zimmerman's defense team that the information existed.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/13/justice/z ... ?hpt=hp_t2
ImageImage
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby Woodruff on Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:42 pm

Well, now he's free to live in hiding. Sadly, I'm rather serious...how does one go about living their life after this sort of exposure?

For what it's worth, this seems to me like it was probably the right verdict. Despite the fact that I consider Zimmerman to be SIGNIFICANTLY responsible for the incident, the burden of proof for the charge simply wasn't there. I am glad that it seems to have not been a political decision.

Plus it looks like the prosecutors were doing things that were at the least unseemly, as far as providing information to the defense.

That being said, how is the following justice in comparison (I hate to mention the obvious difference):

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57434757-504083/fla-woman-marissa-alexander-gets-20-years-for-warning-shot-did-she-stand-her-ground/

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:40 am

saxitoxin wrote:The first head to roll ...

An employee of the Florida State Attorney's Office who testified that prosecutors withheld evidence from George Zimmerman's defense team has been fired.
Ben Kruidbos had been on paid administrative leave since May 28 from his job as director of information technology for the State Attorney's Office.
A spokeswoman for Fourth Judicial Circuit State Attorney Angela Corey said Kruidbos was no longer an employee of the office.

Kruidbos said that, when he printed a 900-page Florida Department of Law Enforcement report from Martin's cell phone in late 2012 or early 2013, he noticed information was missing. Kruidbos said he generated a report that was more than three times the size of the one that had been handed over. For example, Kruidbos said that 2,958 photos were in the report given to the defense but that his report contained 4,275 photos. Kruidbos also said that he has been told to not put specific case-identifying information into internal e-mails. Through his attorney, Wesley White, Kruidbos informed Zimmerman's defense team that the information existed.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/13/justice/z ... ?hpt=hp_t2

Yeah, I found that to be very odd.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:42 am

Woodruff wrote:Well, now he's free to live in hiding. Sadly, I'm rather serious...how does one go about living their life after this sort of exposure?

For what it's worth, this seems to me like it was probably the right verdict. Despite the fact that I consider Zimmerman to be SIGNIFICANTLY responsible for the incident, the burden of proof for the charge simply wasn't there. I am glad that it seems to have not been a political decision.

Plus it looks like the prosecutors were doing things that were at the least unseemly, as far as providing information to the defense.

That being said, how is the following justice in comparison (I hate to mention the obvious difference):

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57434757-504083/fla-woman-marissa-alexander-gets-20-years-for-warning-shot-did-she-stand-her-ground/

The government owns and operates the courts. What do you expect?
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby gannable on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:30 am

There is justice for the little punk Trayvon

shot and killed

got what he deserved
Lieutenant gannable

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,