Conquer Club

How many players use clans?

Abandoned challenges and other old information.

Moderator: Clan Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: How many players use clans?

Postby angola on Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:40 pm

Agents of Chaos had 17k from 2008-13.
Highest rank: 48th. Highest score: 3,384. Feb. 9, 2014.
Captain angola

Postby patrickaa317 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:00 pm

TFFS has you all beat.

=D>
taking a break from cc, will be back sometime in the future.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby Lindax on Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:31 pm

QuikSilver wrote:
Serbia wrote:I've grown to mostly hate the clan scene on CC. I love the people in my clan, especially the ones who've been around for many years. But the clan scene, and all the petty drama that goes with it, I've got very little patience for.

This is the opinion of Serbia the CC user, not Serbia the Tournament Director.

Bollocks.

You don't talk about it, but you add a point, the tournament scene, that keeps interest if you don't want to get involve too much in a clan.

And tournament are very accessible.

I mostly agree with the above. I got fed up with the clan scene long ago. Not so much because of the Clan Department and/or CDs, but because of the users. The "petty drama" remark pretty much hits the spot.

I think the tournament scene does a lot more for CC and it's members. Not so much because of the Tournament Department and it's leadership, but because of the users. Many CC members love to play and/or organize tournaments. It's what got me hooked to CC in the first place. And it could be even more exciting and attractive, with a more vibrant, pro-active and enthusiastic Department Head.

Note: The above paragraph is not to be mistaken for flaming or the such. NS already knows what my opinion about the Tournament Department is and I'm purely stating my point of view, and it's nothing personal.

Lx
"Winning Solves Everything" - Graeko
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby Foxglove on Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:55 pm

I only stick around CC because of my clan.

I do loathe the petty drama, but I guess since I'm still here I enjoy my clan mates and the camaraderie more than I hate the spurts of drama.

I do think that the increasing activity of the clan world has has a detrimental effect on the tournament scene. I don't know about 1v1 type games because I don't play them, but there are far, far less of the large, epic, and interesting doubles/triples/quads tournaments. Whenever there are team tournaments now, they always seem to be of the "1 map, win 3 games" variety.
Brigadier Foxglove

Postby Bruceswar on Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:58 pm

Foxglove wrote:I only stick around CC because of my clan.

I do loathe the petty drama, but I guess since I'm still here I enjoy my clan mates and the camaraderie more than I hate the spurts of drama.

I do think that the increasing activity of the clan world has has a detrimental effect on the tournament scene. I don't know about 1v1 type games because I don't play them, but there are far, far less of the large, epic, and interesting doubles/triples/quads tournaments. Whenever there are team tournaments now, they always seem to be of the "1 map, win 3 games" variety.

I am soon to run another one with some complexity.. Not sure if you remember AndrewB's tournaments, but I hope to run something close to that.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Gilligan on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:08 pm

Bones2484 wrote:
Leehar wrote:I had an interesting discussions with Cav earlier. Apparently TSM have 30k posts in their forum (as a barometer, thats more than we have in Announcements :shock: )

I know at Empire we had only made it to 20k, it'd be interesting to hear what other clans have as an indication of activity levels

G1 has 55,089 posts since Oct 2007.

More than Callouts

All of our recent in-clan-forum war threads almost beat how much TFFS has altogether. :?
Captain Gilligan

Postby Lindax on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:15 pm

I think it's the other way around: The lethargic and unexciting way the Tournament Department is run, makes people come to the clan scene. There are much more interesting tournaments going on in the clan world than in the tournament part of the site. Plus the added bonus of hanging out with like-minded people is always a plus. I remember the good old days I ran Lx Doubles Series tournaments. You'd always get a core group of teams fighting it out every tournament. Kinda like hanging out with like-minded people. Don't see much of that anymore in tournament scene....

I went to the clan scene to run a tournament. Go figure, I'm not even in a clan....

Lx
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby mcshanester29 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:12 pm

Lindax wrote:

I think it's the other way around: The lethargic and unexciting way the Tournament Department is run, makes people come to the clan scene. There are much more interesting tournaments going on in the clan world than in the tournament part of the site. Plus the added bonus of hanging out with like-minded people is always a plus. I remember the good old days I ran Lx Doubles Series tournaments. You'd always get a core group of teams fighting it out every tournament. Kinda like hanging out with like-minded people. Don't see much of that anymore in tournament scene....

I went to the clan scene to run a tournament. Go figure, I'm not even in a clan....

Lx

Yes we get it!!! The TD department is terrible, we are all boring and drive people to the clan world :roll: ....as a TO I have found it no less or more exciting in the past 2-3 years. Some tournaments are really a lot of fun and some are not. Some are basic and some are more intricate. Some are more exciting and yet some are not.Sometimes you have 50 tournaments open for signups sometimes you only have 25. Its your right to criticize and all, but really its the same stuff you have posted over and over...you don't agree with how the TD's are doing there jobs we get it!!...can we move on now??

On a happier not..I am Glad you found your place in the clan world =D>

Oh yes and apparently it has to be said "This post is not meant to flame or bait, I am just stating my personal view"
Private mcshanester29

Postby IcePack on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:19 pm

Large tournaments have nearly gone away since the new large team tournament rules were put in place.

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby patrickaa317 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:32 pm

IcePack wrote:Large tournaments have nearly gone away since the new large team tournament rules were put in place.

This.
taking a break from cc, will be back sometime in the future.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby Lindax on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:43 pm

mcshanester29 wrote:
Lindax wrote:

Lx

Yes we get it!!! The TD department is terrible, we are all boring and drive people to the clan world :roll: ....as a TO I have found it no less or more exciting in the past 2-3 years. Some tournaments are really a lot of fun and some are not. Some are basic and some are more intricate. Some are more exciting and yet some are not.Sometimes you have 50 tournaments open for signups sometimes you only have 25. Its your right to criticize and all, but really its the same stuff you have posted over and over...you don't agree with how the TD's are doing there jobs we get it!!...can we move on now??

On a happier not..I am Glad you found your place in the clan world =D>

Oh yes and apparently it has to be said "This post is not meant to flame or bait, I am just stating my personal view"

I guess you don't get it!!!! I guess you're taking it personal.

No, you are not all boring.

Where have I ever said that I don't agree with how the TDs do their jobs? I think the TDs are doing a good job with the tools and leadership they have.

My beef is with the leadership of the Tournament Department and specifically that leadership being lethargic and basically not doing much for the tournament section of CC. Do I have to bring up the New Tournament Handbook again (for example)? Supposedly being written and finished when I was still a TD? I will keep posting over and over again. It's all I can do to maybe one day see something change.... Believe it or not, I still care very much for the tournament world on CC. And it could be so much better and exciting.

Lx
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby Lindax on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:48 pm

IcePack wrote:Large tournaments have nearly gone away since the new large team tournament rules were put in place.

I wrote those rules. There is nothing in there to prevent large tournaments.

There were never many large team tournaments before the rules came into effect.

I think you may be wrongly using the term "Large Team Tournaments". The rules are for tournaments with large teams, not for large tournaments.

Lx
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby Foxglove on Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:10 am

Lindax wrote:

Maybe it just depends on your perspective. :) Before KORT formed, and when we were still new and not constantly participating in multiple events, I feel like I played in quite a few big, fun tournaments. AndrewB's doubles league, quite a few fun quads tournaments that were themed on multiple maps (Credit Crunch [awesome job, Pedronicus!], Cruise, Mixed Maps, etc.). Bruce and I ran a large multi-map tournament. Your TLO tournaments. I remember thinking there were often good team tournaments to join, but then people stopped playing in them as more and more exciting clan events came into being (Conqueror's Cup, Clan League, and all of the others).

And now, whenever I check out the tournament section, I almost never see anything like those. I don't find the idea of playing in a single map 3 round tournament all that exciting (though it can be fun sometimes), and I miss the big tournaments. :)
Brigadier Foxglove

Postby Genoke on Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:31 am

Atlantis has 937 posts and was born march 5th
My CC:
show
Brigadier Genoke

Postby Qwert on Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:46 am

mythology have 32000 post
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Arama86n on Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:28 am

It was about 6 months ago I joined a tournament, and this is also the first time in six months I have one up as a TO. Have I made a conscious decision to stay away, not really, the answer is simple:
CC3, CL5, RLIII & 7UPII (which is technically a non-clan tournament I suppose, yay) I haven't had time for non-clan friends, let alone running around filling my schedule with tournaments...

The clan scene has become so busy that it doesn't surprise me at all that team-game tournaments are in decline. Most of the hard-core CC players that like team-games are obviously in clans, and their days are filled with Cups and Leagues. One after another, overlapping.
Even if people did have time to run/partake in said tournaments, they don't have an appetite for it in the same way anymore.

Is this a bad thing? Well I'd say that's looking at it the wrong way: It is simply a consequence of the changing clan scene. Team-game tournaments are in decline because the purpose they serve(d) is being filled in other ways, if you take my meaning.
Too look at that with regret is to indulge in pointless nostalgia.

And for those that would argue the point, may I suggest you go sign up for the Atlantis boys large-team WWII tournament instead. Seek and you shall find, every now and then :)

PS; TOFU has 36,000+
Major Arama86n

Postby Dako on Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:42 pm

I remember great doubles tournaments by ballenus. Oh how I wanted to win one of them each time I signed up there! They were one of the best. All TLO's are still considered one of the best team/clan tournaments there ever were. 7UP is another nice one. Some TOFU players like to play a lot of games and they sign up for tournaments. We also try to keep up with major large-team tournaments and join them if we have the capacity.
Colonel Dako

Postby Foxglove on Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:58 pm

Condescending remarks about pointless nostalgia notwithstanding, I think one thing that is hindered by the majority of competitive team play being within clans is that players don't have much opportunity to play those types of games with CC friends who aren't members of their own clan.
Brigadier Foxglove

Postby Dako on Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:59 pm

Yes, that is sad indeed. To many events? But I like them!
Colonel Dako

Postby Foxglove on Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:01 pm

Dako wrote:I remember great doubles tournaments by ballenus. Oh how I wanted to win one of them each time I signed up there! They were one of the best. All TLO's are still considered one of the best team/clan tournaments there ever were. 7UP is another nice one. Some TOFU players like to play a lot of games and they sign up for tournaments. We also try to keep up with major large-team tournaments and join them if we have the capacity.

Yeah, I think we're in a place now where pretty much all teams for the large-team tournaments are organized on clan lines.

I'm envisioning a tournament scene of the future, in which people compete with other players who might not even be from the same clan. :) :shock:
Brigadier Foxglove

Postby Foxglove on Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:02 pm

Dako wrote:Yes, that is sad indeed. To many events? But I like them!

Me too. A lot of us used to play more tournaments, and we obviously made the choice to participate in fewer tournaments and more clan events.

But maybe it's gone a little too far. :)
Brigadier Foxglove

Postby freakns on Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:05 pm

i used to like tournaments... i remember winning HA's biggest tournament by that time(625 participants), that was big time for me. i liked blitz money makers. quad tournament with different maps and interesting idea... and this is what tournaments are missing now, new, fresh ideas.
also, clans are much more interesting, because they show team play. you have 15+ ppl battling on your side, not everything is on your shoulders, just like in real life you have to depend on others... and truthfully, sometimes watching a game is more exciting then playing one! its just like WOW, you all go and play same stupid dungeons over and over, doing meaningless quests, just so you get ready for raids, because 25(or those 40 ppl raids from burning crusade... when i was young... and not this fat... and bit smarter... *sob*... man, those were fun!) raids are reason why so many ppl played WOW and not to do quests on their own!

as for posts, we have 3250... we just arent that active on forum. most of conversation is going via PMs and skype.
Brigadier freakns

Postby Lindax on Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:22 pm

Dako wrote:I remember great doubles tournaments by ballenus. Oh how I wanted to win one of them each time I signed up there! They were one of the best. All TLO's are still considered one of the best team/clan tournaments there ever were. 7UP is another nice one. Some TOFU players like to play a lot of games and they sign up for tournaments. We also try to keep up with major large-team tournaments and join them if we have the capacity.

I may do another TLO tourney again if you guys like it so much. I decided to stop doing them because I always seemed to make more people unhappy than happy when I had to make executive decisions....

Lx
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby Dako on Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:19 pm

Lindax wrote:

I may do another TLO tourney again if you guys like it so much. I decided to stop doing them because I always seemed to make more people unhappy than happy when I had to make executive decisions....

Lx

They were wonderful! It's good that you experiment with the format, but previous editions were great. If you ever run another TLO I am sure many clans will join and will offer help organizing the event. And I know what it feels to be a decision maker, all hard to be the one to get the ball rolling. But I doubt people have problems with that - it's your tournament in the end, so you are the boss. Just keep it that way, you will see that many many teams will join.
Colonel Dako

Postby Shannon Apple on Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:32 pm

I noticed something else that no one seemed to mention. I'm a fairly recently returned player after a break of a few years. I had never really thought about the clan scene or really knew what it was about until a few months ago, some clans asked me to join and I ended up with Kort.

One majorly annoying thing I noticed is that people don't want to discuss turns anymore in team games. I was put off joining tournaments for the most part because of lack of communication. You cannot play effectively without friggen some sort of communication, even if it's notes in gamechat about a direction to take. CC was certainly a different animal in that regard back in 2009.

Since getting into the clan world in the past few months, I've started to wonder... Is the unwillingness to communicate with people outside of your clan related to the fact that people are afraid to give away their strategies?

If the answer to this is "yes" then there goes your reason for the big team tournament's demise.
Brigadier Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

PreviousNext

Return to Clan Archives