Conquer Club

[GO] [Rules] Rank Restricted Games

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Option to select which Ranks can enter your Speed Game

Postby nietzsche on Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:50 pm

Concise description:
Option to select which Ranks can enter your Speed Game

Specifics/Details:
Select by Minimum rank and Maximum rank.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:

I believe one of the reasons for the decline in the number of speed games available at most times of the day is due to the fact that high ranked players who play mostly casual have been bitten in the ass in the past, losing to lowed ranked players.

I'm aware this has been discussed in the past, but imagine this: Lots of high ranked players wishing to play a 1vs1, waiting behind the fence to join a speed game, but no one wants to start a game because it will be joined by player that has skill but has a low rank at the moment.

If you could put those high ranks behind the fence to play together, whats the harm? The "shoutbox" suggestion was not implemented either, it could serve the purpose also.

This could also serve low ranks, who feel comfortable in games playing with guys with the same skill.

Before you reject and archive this, give it a little bit of thought, not everybody thinks like you you know.

And look at speed games, look at how many games high rank start and play, but discount the freestylers, they don't care about rank, they are all about the speed.
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Re: Option to select which Ranks can enter your Speed Game

Postby rhp 1 on Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:06 pm

dumb....

back to the drawing board... though I think it's adorable people actually care about points...
Lieutenant rhp 1

Location: IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING, IT IS BEST TO DO IT....... QUICKLY

Postby Metsfanmax on Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:07 pm

Locking this topic for a little while so you two can cool down.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby blakebowling on Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:15 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:Locking this topic for a little while so you two can cool down.

I've taken care of it.

Unlocked.
Private blakebowling

Postby codierose on Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:59 am

love it +1 for me.
but you might find 4+ player games will never fill but i might be wrong.
Major codierose

Re: Make games require minimum or maximum points/rank [REJEC

Postby georgizhukov on Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:40 am

I am for a rating restriction of some sort. Why should players who pay to play the game have to endure new recruits who are playing for free and don't even know the rules.
Colonel georgizhukov

Postby betiko on Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:41 pm

How many suggestions is it going to take to make the admin change his mind? Also we have a new admin, has it even been asked again?
Major betiko

Re: Setting to not allow low ratings to join

Postby spiesr on Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:42 pm

Last edited by spiesr on Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added another.
Captain spiesr

Ability to limit joining players by score

Postby xroads on Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:56 am

[how about having a button on the game start menu that limits joining players by score. It could be as simple as limiting them to 250 points higher or lower]
PLACE THE NAME OF THE SUGGESTION IN THE SUBJECT LINE!

Things to remember when posting a new suggestion are that the dice are random, and that lots of analysis has been done on them both internally and public by community members. Also, please take time to search for previous similar suggestions and, if possible, to check current and archived threads before posting something "new". Delete the xxxxxxx, and substitute your text.

Any questions, contact one of the Suggestions Moderators.
[/Delete Me]

Concise description:
  • xxxxxxx

Specifics/Details:
  • xxxxxxx

• xxxxxxx
Major xroads

Re: Ability to limit joining players by score

Postby JamesKer1 on Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:07 am

Already Suggested, Modified, and Rejected.

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=704&t=274
Join CrossMapAHolics!

Stephan Wayne wrote:Every day is Fool's Day on CC.

A new era of monthly challenges has begun...
Private JamesKer1

Postby spiesr on Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:49 am

Captain spiesr

Re: Rank Segregation in Games

Postby chapcrap on Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:12 pm

This suggestion will no longer be considered rejected. I have updated the OP with a few words and MOVED this out of rejected.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby agentcom on Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:06 pm

:o :shock:

... very interesting
Colonel agentcom

Point minimums for joining games

Postby ViperOverLord on Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:35 am

Allow point minimums on joining games

This needs to be done already. Do you know why you rarely see stars, birds, and colonels creating a 1v1 game and instead are constantly going through their multiplayer underground networks? Cos CC has not added this painfully obviously needed function that has been suggested countless times. But, with a new admin who is more open minded; hopefully this can get some real traction now.

Specifics/Details:

Players can create minimum points for players joining: Suggested mins for 1v1 games (Players have to have the min score to request a game with a player of the min score):

Similar designs could be used for team games too.

* People will stop foe'ing players just because they're at a low score and are joining their games. Yes, the current system is not only encouraging a backward exclusivity; it is leading to undue animosities daily!
* Players will be able to more fluidly reach point destinations via the 1v1 games.
* Players who play 1v1 games can continue to play 1v1 games against qualified opponents and keep their rank moving higher without undue duress and then fairly sustain or build upon their rank. The way it is now, players rarely reach brig and general through 1v1 games and then they never sustain them though the same means for long.
* Building off the prior point, players can continue to play 1v1 games and won't have to switch to team games or multiplayer games (often through the underground system) as a means to keep their ranks.
* Lower rank players can have ladders to shoot for themselves. They will also have to earn their games with higher ranked players (generally speaking) and that is a satisfying experience; not an off-putting experience as has been alleged.
* No more point crashing! A colonel can lose about 60 points and then have to win three to five games in a row just to recover. Players who play players on the same plateau can more fluidly advance along the ranks.
* Much more 1v1 players in the brig/general/even conqueror ranks. Right now, due to the lack of point minimums; the top rankings are almost exclusively a function of multiplayer and team games.
* One will not have to go through the extraneous (even laborious) underground networks and can happily use the public gaming system while advancing his/her rank.
Captain ViperOverLord

Postby spiesr on Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:27 am

Captain spiesr

Postby betiko on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Sounds great if this moves forward!
Major betiko

Postby ViperOverLord on Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:18 pm

I'm not happy about having the idea merged with 'rank segregation.' (But, I reckon I'll get over it.) I had concise and cogent points that I would have preferred to have discussed with my OP starting point.

Furthermore, this thread is 60 pages long (and that's without a sticky). You'd think at some point CC would implement what the players are pressing for. This is done on other gaming sites and to the the satisfaction of the general population.
Captain ViperOverLord

Postby spiesr on Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:24 pm

ViperOverLord wrote:I'm not happy about having the idea merged with 'rank segregation.' (But, I reckon I'll get over it.) I had concise and cogent points that I would have preferred to have discussed with my OP starting point.
Is your suggestion substantially different than the one in this thread? Suggestions Forum policy is that all discussion of the same idea should be in the same thread.
ViperOverLord wrote:Furthermore, this thread is 60 pages long (and that's without a sticky). You'd think at some point CC would implement what the players are pressing for. This is done on other gaming sites and to the the satisfaction of the general population.
It was rejected by direct admin veto for years, until the new ownership indicated that they would be willing to potentially reconsider it.
Captain spiesr

Postby JamesKer1 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:30 pm

Speaking as a player who has been about as low as you can get (I think my lowest was like 500 points?) up to a captain (which still sadly isn't that good, but decently high), I personally don't agree with this. You can always go through the scoreboard if you want and find some nice opponents, and I know there are mailing lists and callouts available for certain games. There are alternate avenues available for this suggestion, they just require a little more work. And maybe that's part of the problem too, it takes more time/work than it should, and some people don't want to invest it (which is understandable). But, if you care about the points enough, then invest the time to take those avenues. I understand the frustration- I joined a game as a Corp 1st, and worked my way up to Capt before it ended- I lost 80 points that game, and it was miserable. Even then I still didn't think it was a good idea though.

Another thing about this that bothers me is the lack of games for new recruits and lower ranked players- they are part of the general population too right? It feels like a lot of games would disappear for their enjoyment and they would be stuck with just a few people still hanging at the bottom. A lot of this thread is mainly Captains and above supporting this, but what about the paying cooks and cadets? Keep in mind their $25 is worth as much as yours, so CC needs to keep them happy as well. I'm not saying to give them all the power, but do give them some, and remember that the majors and colonels are their way to come back up from the pit they are in.

I think that if implemented right this would work, but I also think it might be a bit of a waste of time if other things were improved on as alternatives, such as creating "Leagues" in the form of Usergroups and giving them Game Privileges (like TDs get).
Join CrossMapAHolics!

Stephan Wayne wrote:Every day is Fool's Day on CC.

A new era of monthly challenges has begun...
Private JamesKer1

Postby betiko on Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:23 pm

New recruits don t have access to complicated maps and high ranked players, so moot point.
This is a game option, not something that would work all the time. If at a certain point i want to create public games and i don t want people bellow 2000 to join well that s my problem.
If you want to join games with higher ranked, well i see there a good motivation for you to increase your score.
Major betiko

Postby agentcom on Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:37 pm

ViperOverLord wrote:

I'm not happy about having the idea merged with 'rank segregation.' (But, I reckon I'll get over it.) I had concise and cogent points that I would have preferred to have discussed with my OP starting point.

Furthermore, this thread is 60 pages long (and that's without a sticky). You'd think at some point CC would implement what the players are pressing for. This is done on other gaming sites and to the the satisfaction of the general population.

You know what, VOL? I think that may be my bad. I think I changed the topic title to that a very long time ago because the word is just about spot on for descriptive purposes. But I do see the pejorativeness of the term as well. Perhaps the title should be set back to something like "Allow users to restrict games by points" or (I'm sure) something better than that.

As for the suggestion, I think I've drunk the CC Kool Aid on this one. I think I've posted in favor of this idea before, but I like the tradition of generally discouraging these sorts of limitations. I've got a decent rank now, but I got here by playing much better players pretty much from the start. For the same reasons that I dislike playing lower ranks now, I loved to play higher ranks when I first joined. In addition to meaning more points for me, I also got to play skilled opponents and sort of learn the "right way" to play.
Colonel agentcom

Postby ViperOverLord on Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:49 pm

spiesr wrote:
ViperOverLord wrote:I'm not happy about having the idea merged with 'rank segregation.' (But, I reckon I'll get over it.) I had concise and cogent points that I would have preferred to have discussed with my OP starting point.
Is your suggestion substantially different than the one in this thread? Suggestions Forum policy is that all discussion of the same idea should be in the same thread.
ViperOverLord wrote:Furthermore, this thread is 60 pages long (and that's without a sticky). You'd think at some point CC would implement what the players are pressing for. This is done on other gaming sites and to the the satisfaction of the general population.
It was rejected by direct admin veto for years, until the new ownership indicated that they would be willing to potentially reconsider it.

I'm fairly knowledgeable about admin's past decisions regarding this matter. But, I don't think the majority of (stalwart) players agree with having to go underground to get the point ramifications they desire. Again, admin should go play yahoo hearts for two months and see just how beautifully this system works. Because it is absolutely marvelous.

agentcom wrote:
You know what, VOL? I think that may be my bad. I think I changed the topic title to that a very long time ago because the word is just about spot on for descriptive purposes. But I do see the pejorativeness of the term as well. Perhaps the title should be set back to something like "Allow users to restrict games by points" or (I'm sure) something better than that.

As for the suggestion, I think I've drunk the CC Kool Aid on this one. I think I've posted in favor of this idea before, but I like the tradition of generally discouraging these sorts of limitations. I've got a decent rank now, but I got here by playing much better players pretty much from the start. For the same reasons that I dislike playing lower ranks now, I loved to play higher ranks when I first joined. In addition to meaning more points for me, I also got to play skilled opponents and sort of learn the "right way" to play.

Yes. Point minimums is not absolute point segregation. Many players still prefer a mix of players (especially players who want to keep their win percentage high).

And, the system I advocate allows players to reach ranks in a fairly quick manner too. One doesn't have to get the extra 10-20 points (or more) from a colonel to get to the rank. And how fair is it to the colonel to suddently take a 40-50 hit against a quality opponent? I know that when my rank has slipped (or even where I am now), I've tended to not play more than 200-300 points up against players as a courtesy. Unfortunately, not all skilled players grant that courtesy.

And to demonstrate my earlier point about silly foeing further; let me just show you this pm exchange I got tonight:

ViperOverLord wrote:
NameOmitted wrote:ya medal hunting? wanted to join your poly game arms race

Yea, you're not a foe. Frankly, you might be the salt of the earth. :lol: I was point hunting though and I agree that captain isn't that low. But, I don't like handicapping the 10 points or whatever it comes out to against an equal opponent. This is why I keep telling CC to allow point minimums.

ViperOverLord wrote:
NameOmitted wrote:dude look at my range and current score. at the bottom of my range, i'd cost you 2 points over 20? at the top you'd cost me a lot

if you wanna play the numbers that close, fine.

I haven't looked lately at the differentials. I know I was in the 2200s and you were in the 1800s last time and it was 24 point hit, and I probably would have gotten what 16 or 18 for a win? That means I have to win 6 of 10 and more like 7 of 10 to really be worth it? Just so you know, this is why I tend to not play more than 200-300 points up on a player. Sometimes, I take some liberties Major to Colonel though. Cos a Colonel playing a public game is just asking for whatever comes his way. But, Major is the middle space. And that's why when I'm captain or less, I go for 300 or less differential, like I said. You have indicated that you don't care about such things. If you don't care, then how am I not going to foe you?

This is what I'm talking about CC. Do the point mins and stop us having to do this lame foe'ing crap! Then foe'ing would mostly just be a function against suiciders of multi-player games.

^^^
BTW, does the above exchange seem slightly petty? It does. But, CC's system inherently makes us petty and fosters animosity! This is the thing that CC is allegedly against with their current system.
Captain ViperOverLord

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions