Conquer Club

[Abandoned] Homeworlds

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Homeworlds - Battle Royale - Map Update 7/29

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:28 pm

JamesKer1 wrote:Hey just a heads up, couldn't find a post about this... Hypergate description has a typo, icreases instead of increases
Thanks =)

=D13=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby JamesKer1 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:57 pm

dolomite13 wrote:
OliverFA wrote:
dolomite13 wrote:
OliverFA wrote:Also, I know that's a lot of work, but making the geography less symetrical would make the map more interesting Some worlds closer, some worlds a bit more far, some areas with more wormholes, some with less wormholes.
I will look at doing that but I was trying to make all positions start on equal footing or as near to equal as I could get.

That makes sense. However, I think that equality of opportunity could still be conserved with a less symetrical map.

Let's say for example that A moves to 301 and D moves to 405. A is "safer" but also has a lower chance to get a second homeworld with its added income and hypergate-enabled travel. So the final result is that trading safety for added difficulty to grab higher income and capacity balances each other. On the other side D and H are now close to each other. They are a lot less safe, but they can also get higher tech sooner. Just keep the same number of home sectors and wormholes and move them a little bit. Some one hex, a couple of them two hexes, and some just don't move them.

I will take a look at moving things around a bit.

Maybe make links to opposite sides of the map? Like with Alaska and Russia on Classic Map, that's the only thing I can think of to explain it :roll:
Private JamesKer1

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:34 pm

JamesKer1 wrote:Maybe make links to opposite sides of the map? Like with Alaska and Russia on Classic Map, that's the only thing I can think of to explain it :roll:

Thats what the wormholes do

=D13=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:51 pm

Sorry for the delay, but this is now an official Battle Royal map!!!! :P =D>

So without further ado, we can hereby brand this Draft stamped!

=D> =D> =D> =D>
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:17 pm

Congrats dolomite! I look forward to playing this map one day, hopefully at least during the birthday celebration in January :)

BTW, I just noticed a small error in wordings. For Clone Facility, it should say 'starbase' instead of 'starbases', since there's only one starbase per system and there's a small chance it may cause confusion and make people think it makes the bonus +1 per starbase per research you own (ie. 3 starbases, 2 researches = 6 bonus).
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:26 pm

isaiah40 wrote:Sorry for the delay, but this is now an official Battle Royal map!!!! :P =D>

So without further ado, we can hereby brand this Draft stamped!

=D> =D> =D> =D>

Woo Hoo!

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Re: Homeworlds - Battle Royale - Graphics Update (8/9)

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:32 pm

Alrighty Then... let's have a graphics update!

Large - 900x735
http://imageshack.com/a/img16/3424/xquo.png
Click image to enlarge.

Large with 88's - http://imageshack.com/a/img43/2324/gyx8.png

I am testing various small map sizes to see if they are even viable

Small - 700x572

Small 88's test - http://imageshack.com/a/img818/6231/xqz.png
Cook dolomite13

Re: Homeworlds - Battle Royale - Map Update (8/9)

Postby deantursx on Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:14 pm

Looks very cool Dolo! I'm looking forward to playing this

Highest Score: 3047 - 2/11/13
Major deantursx

Postby Kabanellas on Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:09 pm

Like!!!
Major Kabanellas

Postby dolomite13 on Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:33 pm

So I am thinking of gating access to wormhole travel under Research and adding some movement through nebula spaces (although nebula would reset to 1 when held) based on amount of research.

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:36 pm

dolomite13 wrote:So I am thinking of gating access to wormhole travel under Research and adding some movement through nebula spaces (although nebula would reset to 1 when held) based on amount of research.

=D13=

I think that sounds like an interesting idea. Off the top of my head you could have a few different levels of research for movement which could affect the distance of travel hypergates offer, access to wormholes, hypergates working through wormholes, and movement throught he nebula, all at different levels of research. I think it would add another element to research and make it definitely more worthwhile to get more of them if you're planning on having them at pretty high neutral values.

BTW, I like the new graphics update, though I have to say the small map version looks really squished and difficult to read. I don't know how CC would feel about accepting this as a supersized map, but it may be something to consider.
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby dolomite13 on Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:03 pm

-=- Tanarri -=- wrote:
dolomite13 wrote:So I am thinking of gating access to wormhole travel under Research and adding some movement through nebula spaces (although nebula would reset to 1 when held) based on amount of research.

=D13=

I think that sounds like an interesting idea. Off the top of my head you could have a few different levels of research for movement which could affect the distance of travel hypergates offer, access to wormholes, hypergates working through wormholes, and movement throught he nebula, all at different levels of research. I think it would add another element to research and make it definitely more worthwhile to get more of them if you're planning on having them at pretty high neutral values.

BTW, I like the new graphics update, though I have to say the small map version looks really squished and difficult to read. I don't know how CC would feel about accepting this as a supersized map, but it may be something to consider.

Yea small map was just to see how everything was compressing. The images are already oversized and I figured it was just a given that a battle royal map would have to be oversized as well.

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:31 am

Just realized you already have the hypergate range being extended by having more hypergates, so the research idea for that which I had doesn't make much sense. Still, gaining access to the wormholes, hypergates working through wormholes, and travel through the nebula would be pretty neat for the researches as well and add some value to them.

BTW, in Hypergate, you have a typo I just noticed. "icreases" should be "increases". Also, I'm not sure if this is still on the to-do list or not, but the sector numbers to the right of the nebula are still pretty messed up. For example, there's three 1101's and an out of place 1201 to the right of them.
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby dolomite13 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:06 pm

Quick Update .... I am currently focusing on XML for Krazy Kingdoms... I will have a gameplay and graphics update in a few weeks when I have that complete.
Cook dolomite13

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:50 pm

dolomite13 wrote:Quick Update .... I am currently focusing on XML for Krazy Kingdoms... I will have a gameplay and graphics update in a few weeks when I have that complete.

Sounds great, I think finishing up Krazy Kingdoms before diving into this one full on is a good idea.
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:24 pm

Looks like Krazy Kingdoms will be getting the XML stamp shortly. I have started looking over the map again.

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:04 pm

dolomite13 wrote:Looks like Krazy Kingdoms will be getting the XML stamp shortly. I have started looking over the map again.

=D13=

I'm looking forward to this getting started again. I think the only issues which were brought up so far were a couple typos and the sector numbering problems.

Gameplay wise, I'm wondering if having it set up so you can only use hypergates from those systems you've built one in and having the range increase happen as a result of further research, to help break up the large gap in benefits between owning 8 researches and 16 researches. Perhaps it could be set up so with the gates have an inate 2 hex range with 6 researches giving 3 and 12 or so researches giving 4. One major problem with this thought will be finding the space in the research section to add the text.
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:56 pm

As far as gameplay is concerned I have decided that Homeworlds, Starbases, and Hypergates require you to conquer that space in the system. I plan to put all advancement for in the research location so you need to conquer those spaces to improve them.

NOTE: These changes are not yet reflected on the map. I will find some way to get all of this on the map somehow.

=D13=

Homeworlds - Are adjacent to the system sector they are in as well as their Hypergate, Starbase, and Research.

Hypergate - This device allows faster than light travel from one system sector to another up to 2 light years away.

Starbase - The last line of defense the starbase can bombard and be bombarded by the system sector it is in.

Sectors - Each hex is one light year and can assault their neighboring sector and their homeworld. They also bombard their starbase, hypergate, and research facility.

Wormholes - Can assault any other wormhole. Start with 7 neutral and are Killer 7. Hypergates do not work through a wormhole.

Nebula - Nebula sectors are impassible withought access to Long Range Sensors. Killer 1.

Research Facility - You gain access to all of the following advancements.
* Terra-forming - All homeworlds you control grant a +1 deployable bonus. This increases by 1 at at 2, 4, 8, and 16 researches.
* Hyper Navigation - Systems where you have a hypergate can assault other system sectors up to 3 light years away. This increases by 1 at 6 and 12 researches. At 9 researches hypergates may be used to travel through wormholes.
* Clone Facility - Starbases grant a +1 deployable bonus. This increases by 1 at 5 and 10 researches.
* Long Range Sensors - You may assault nebula spaces at 3 researches and Starbases can bombard adjacent sectors at 7 researches.

Current Levels/Advancements
May want to spread this out a little better...
2 - Terra-forming
3 - Long Range Sensors
4 - Terra-forming
5 - Clone Facility
6 - Hyper Navigation
7 - Long Range Sensors
8 - Terra-forming
9 - Hyper Navigation
10 - Clone Facility
12 - Hyper Navigation
16 - Terra-forming
Cook dolomite13

Re: Homeworlds - Battle Royale - Gameplay Update (9/3)

Postby OliverFA on Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:27 pm

I really like most of what you say, so I will concetrate in the very few things I have doubts about ;)

So the Hypergate allows to travel 2 hexes away and the Hypergate + the research allow to travel 3 hexes away? That sounds a bit too much for just one planetary system IMHO.
Welcoming the long awaited Trench Warfare Setting (Previously Adjacent Attacks).

My Maps:
Research and Conquer - Civilization meets Conquer Club

Best score: 2,346 - Best position: #618 - Best percentile: 4.87%
Private OliverFA

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:24 pm

OliverFA wrote:I really like most of what you say, so I will concetrate in the very few things I have doubts about ;)

So the Hypergate allows to travel 2 hexes away and the Hypergate + the research allow to travel 3 hexes away? That sounds a bit too much for just one planetary system IMHO.

Actually that 3 away can probably be dropped as there are actually no systems that are 3 apart unless you count the distance through a wormhole and in that case you need to have 9 researches.

I am considering dropping that travel through wormholes to force people through the neutrals in the wormholes and make using wormholes expensive. In which case you would start with 2 and at 6 you would bump up to distance of 4. I could add the ability to assault wormholes that are in range at 9 researches.

I wonder if adding a "lost 27th system" at the center of the map would be interesting. It could have a nice auto deploy and access to an alien artifact instead of research that could grant an additional ability. Not sure what though. Maybe it could access all wormholes?

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:18 pm

Homeworlds - Are adjacent to the system sector they are in as well as their Hypergate, Starbase, and Research.

Hypergate - This device allows faster than light travel from one system sector to another up to 2 light years away.

Starbase - The last line of defense the starbase can bombard and be bombarded by the system sector it is in.

Sectors - Each hex is one light year and can assault their neighboring sector and their homeworld. They also bombard their starbase, hypergate, and research facility.

Wormholes - Can assault any other wormhole. Start with 7 neutral and are Killer 7. Hypergates do not work through a wormhole.

Nebula - Nebula sectors are impassible withought access to Long Range Sensors. Killer (Amount currently needs to be decided)

Research Facility - You gain access to all of the following advancements.
* Terra-forming - All homeworlds you control grant a +1 deployable bonus at 2, 4, 8, and 16 researches.
* Hyper Navigation - Systems where you have a hypergate can assault other system sectors up to 2 light years away. This increases by 2 at 6 and 12 researches. At 9 researches hypergates may assault wormholes that are in range.
* Clone Facility - Starbases grant a +1 deployable bonus at 3, 7 and 14 researches.
* Long Range Sensors - You may assault nebula spaces at 5 researches and Starbases can bombard adjacent sectors at 10 researches.

Current Levels/Advancements
May want to spread this out a little better...
2 - Terra-forming, Hyper Navigation
3 - Clone Facility
4 - Terra-forming
5 - Long Range Sensors
6 - Hyper Navigation
7 - Clone Facility
8 - Terra-forming
9 -
10 - Long Range Sensors
11 -
12 - Hyper Navigation
13 -
14 - Clone Facility
16 - Terra-forming

I am thinking of adding this...

[b]Nebulon:[b] The 27th system lies at the heart of the nebula. Its system sector, homeworld, and starbase decay 2 per turn. Its hypergate is an alien artifact, if you conquer it , its system sector may assault any wormhole.

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:33 pm

I like the spread better, though based on your descriptions, I believe Hyper Navigation on level 2 should be moved to level 9.

I think some evening out is necessary regarding the alternation between getting a deployable bonus and getting a new ability. I'd suggest the following changes:

* Swap Hyper Navigation and Clone Facility at levels 6 and 7
* Swap Hyper Navigation and Clone Facility at levels 12 and 14

This should make it so for the first three research increases, you get a deployable bonus, which will make it worthwhile to take out all those neutrals or battle players who've already got the research territories, and then afterwards for each level (or two levels later on) you alternate between getting a special ability and a deployable bonus.

I think it'd be nice to offer a bonus at 1 research as well, likely a Clone Facility level, to make it worthwhile for someone to consider taking out all the neutrals while they're still building up their original sector.

I think the 27th system idea is worthwhile to consider, especially if others think the same. I also think it'd be interesting to make it's research offer an additional really nice bonus in addition to what's already been mentioned. Maybe an extra +1 per homeworld or even a +1 per homeworld and +1 per starbase deployable bonus on top of the regular research bonuses. This way it makes it really worthwhile to go for the nebula planet. Depending on how strong the bonus is, it may be worthwhile to arrange the techs so level 5 is hyper navigation, level 6 is clone facility, and level 7 is long range sensors, which would require the rest of the tech spread to be re-evaluated as well.

BTW, the Hyper Navigation level 9 text should be worded "hypergates may assault through wormhomes that are in range", unless something has changed that I'm not aware of. Also, level 10 long sensors being able to be included woudl be dependent on the site adding conditional bombardments. Which makes me think, maybe it'd be worthwhile to add a third level of long range sensors somewhere and have the first offer bombardments at range one, the second offer nebula access, and the third offer bombardments at range three... heck, if we re-did the order of the techs, you could even add further range to it as well... range 4 bombardments would be really useful for a higher level tech.

I think that covers it for my feedback at this point, hope it helps :)
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:28 am

-=- Tanarri -=- wrote:BTW, the Hyper Navigation level 9 text should be worded "hypergates may assault through wormhomes that are in range", unless something has changed that I'm not aware of.

Yea I want to change it so that hypergates can lock onto the sector a wormhole is in but not bypass the neutrals that are there.

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:25 am

dolomite13 wrote:
-=- Tanarri -=- wrote:BTW, the Hyper Navigation level 9 text should be worded "hypergates may assault through wormhomes that are in range", unless something has changed that I'm not aware of.

Yea I want to change it so that hypergates can lock onto the sector a wormhole is in but not bypass the neutrals that are there.

=D13=

So if I understand correctly, even with research you're not able to attack through the wormholes from say Sector C to Sector X?
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:42 am

-=- Tanarri -=- wrote:
dolomite13 wrote:

=D13=

So if I understand correctly, even with research you're not able to attack through the wormholes from say Sector C to Sector X?

Not through but to them so from K to 1508 would be possible once you hit movement 4. I am trying to decide in my head how faster than light travel works through a wormhole still. Right now I am leaning towards "it doesn't" But the wormhole is a big enough gravity field that you can lock onto it like you can a system sector.

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box