Conquer Club

SOS Africa -- Final Result

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

SOS Africa -- Final Result

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:26 pm

Ladies, Gentlemen, and Conquerors!

ImageImageImageImage

I welcome you to participate in Conquer Club's second official charity drive event for SOS Africa. It's been a solid two years since our last charity endeavor and we're certainly proud to be back on track. As some of you may recall, our last event featured the production of our Africa II map:

show: Africa II

This year, we'll be taking on a more tournament-based route, and I'd immediately like to thank the staff of our Entertainment Team, Tournament Directors, and Chatters, and a special shout-out to Dukasaur and TeeGee for all of their help in the coordination and development of this event. Their efforts are timeless and we certainly can't thank them enough (though we'll try)!

The time for this introduction is over! Let's get onto what Conquer Club has planned for you, the player, to help make a change (and get some medals and premium, of course :D)!

______________________________________________________________________________________

What is SOS Africa?

Some of us remember the old SOS Africa contests that Conquer Club held some time ago, but for all of our new faces and to refresh ourselves, here is a rundown of what SOS Africa is:

The SOS Africa Children's Charity is a small, non-profit, UK registered, predominantly volunteer-run Somerset charity, which funds the education and care of underprivileged African township children run by Conquer Club's very own Tactician.
show: More information about SOS Africa

We're hoping that this continued effort makes a difference in the lives of people involved with SOS Africa.

______________________________________________________________________________________

List of Events:

• This event will host a mega-tournament with a grand prize of 5 Years of Premium Membership. You may only enter this tournament via a donation on our JustGiving page, or by earning a spot in one of many Qualifier Tournaments [MAXIMUM OF FOUR ENTRIES PER PERSON].
  • Winning a Qualifier Tournament will reward you with a Tournament Medal, 3 Months of Premium, and a place in the aforementioned mega-tournament.
  • The Chatters will also be holding a Live Chat Event and a Forum Contest, with the winners of each gaining entry into the mega-tournament.

The Qualifier tournaments will be released in waves over the next few days to keep from clogging up the Join A Tournament page and the links will be featured in a following post.

How To Donate:

As we have done in the past, Conquer Club has set up it's very own JustGiving page! You could find us there, but we've made it a bit easier! Here's a big, red, 'Donate Here' sign ;);

DONATE HERE!

(Note: And if you reside in the UK, check out this post by a fellow UK Conquer Clubber which explains how you can have the UK Government attach some extra funds to your donation, at no extra cost to you!)

When donating, to claim your free entry into our Mega-Tournament, please INCLUDE YOUR CONQUERCLUB USERNAME in the "Your Name" field as shown below:

and be sure to keep the option to hide your donation "unchecked."

Concluding Remarks:

Well, that's certainly that! I'll keep you all updated as we strive to reach our goal of $500 USD, and reach it we will! To all who donate -- thank you for your continued support of not only SOS Africa, but also of Conquer Club -- we're in for the long haul and wish to do as much as we can not only for our community, but the communities of those that have less than us! If you belong or have organized any charities or fundraisers, please send an e-mail to info@conquerclub.com and we'll investigate our options together! Best of luck to you all in your tournaments (and with your good will ;)). Best,

--rdsrds2120 (Community Manager)
& Conquer Club Administration
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Qualifying Tournaments: SOS Africa

Postby rdsrds2120 on Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:18 pm

Links to the Qualifying Tournament threads will be posted here, with the username of the TO in parentheses, as they are released.
The 16 Qualifying Tournaments will be released in batches of 4. You may sign up for one tournament per batch of 4. This rule will be enforced.

First Batch - SIGN UP FOR ONLY ONE, PLEASE!!
Rorke's Drift Doubles (chapcrap)
Rails in Africa (JaneAustin)
The Nile Runs Red (sempaispellcheck)
Lower Egyptian Triple Trouble (ManBungalow)

Live Chat Event - African Safari

Postby JaneAusten on Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:18 pm

Image Image Image

Premise:

The SOS Africa Event is hosting an African Safari in Live Chat this week and we've imported a ton of African animals to the CC forums for you to find!

We will give five clues per animal as to what animal you are looking for and where. Then you must race against the other competitors to be the first person to spy all the animals. Each Safari session will have five African animals for you to search for, plus a sixth elusively hard-to-spot animal that only those with the sharpest eyes might spot. I've heard if you see that animal first, you might receive a small amount of something that ends with ...ium.

Details:

Date: Friday, October 4th
    Times: 3 African Safaris will be held that day at the following times [CC Time]:
    • 09:30
    • 14:30
    • 23:00
    Location: Live Chat, enter /join SOS Africa in the message box to join the room where the event will be held.
    Format: The first member who finds the all five African animals hidden within the CC forums wins. The winner of each session will not be allowed to compete in the following session/s. However, if you compete and are unsuccessful, you may compete in other sessions.
    Prizes: A shiny gold GA medal and a place in the SOS Africa Finals Tournament, which will be played on the Africa II map !

Image Image Image
Corporal 1st Class JaneAusten

Forum Contest - A Photojournal of Africa

Postby JaneAusten on Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:24 pm

Image Image Image

For our SOS Africa Event forum contest, we invite you to submit a photojournal of Africa. Since most of us have never been to Africa, you are welcome to pull the photos off the web and simply add your own captions. But if you have ever visited Africa or if you live there, we'd love if you to use your own photos. You will need to have a minimum of 5 photos and captions to go with them, but we suggest that you don't use more than 10 or so (your entry may be disqualified if it is too long).

Please PM me (JaneAustin) your finished photojournal and I'll post it in this thread for all to enjoy. Sunday, October 13th (CC time) is the last day to submit your entry. Only one entry per person. Entries will be judged by a mixed panel of mods and community members. If you submit a photojournal, you are not eligible to be a judge for the contest. Entries will be judged based on photo selections, quality of captions, and creativity in using your theme (see below for some theme ideas). First, second, and third place will each win a shiny General Achievement medal. The first place winner will also receive 3 months of Premium membership and an entry into the SOS Africa Finals tournament, which will be played on the Africa II map!

Of course you can be creative and come up with an original theme for your photojournal, but here are some ideas you can also choose from or be inspired by:
  • A reporter doing a piece for a newspaper or magazine on a topic involving Africa.
  • A tourist on an African safari
  • A visitor to a specific historical site or city
  • An adventurer jaunting to spots throughout the continent and posting to their blog or Facebook for friends and family to see.

Image Image Image
Corporal 1st Class JaneAusten

Re: SOS Africa -- Round 2

Postby sempaispellcheck on Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:33 pm

All right!! This is going to be so much fun!!

sempai
High score: 2200 - July 20, 2015
Game 13890915 - in which I helped clinch the NC4 title for LHDD

Lieutenant sempaispellcheck

Location: Among the clouds and the skyscrapers, saving the world.

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:52 pm

And we are off!
=D> =D> =D>
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Swifte on Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:04 pm

What an event this will be!
Colonel Swifte

Postby macbone on Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:57 pm

Wow, cool! Nice event, guys!
Colonel macbone

Postby rdsrds2120 on Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:18 pm

I've added some pertinent information to the first post about what SOS Africa is, and a small bonus to donations from the UK!

BMO

Postby D-Rock42 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:19 am

rdsrds2120 wrote:and be sure to keep the option to hide your donation "unchecked."

Why?
Colonel D-Rock42

Location: In a dark room, staring at screen. Or at the office, staring at a screen.

Postby Sparrowhawk#1 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:50 am

D-Rock42 wrote:
rdsrds2120 wrote:and be sure to keep the option to hide your donation "unchecked."

Why?

I expect it's so they know who it was that donated the money
Lieutenant Sparrowhawk#1

Postby D-Rock42 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:13 pm

Sparrowhawk#1 wrote:
D-Rock42 wrote:

Why?

I expect it's so they know who it was that donated the money

The only checkbox I see in the image above indicates it will hide the donation amount if checked.
Colonel D-Rock42

Location: In a dark room, staring at screen. Or at the office, staring at a screen.

Postby Mad777 on Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:31 am

=D> =D> =D> =D>.............That's all I want to say!
".....Under Phucumol treatment....."
https://youtu.be/zlusWzDY4qw
Lieutenant Mad777

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:22 pm

Can I ask what happened last year? Do we still sponsor the same person or did we let the side down and forget?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby macbone on Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:19 am

Any options for Discover, rds?

Paypal? Amazon?
Colonel macbone

Postby sempaispellcheck on Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:53 am

Second batch of tourneys has not yet been released, as there are still 3 tourneys in sign-ups and the purpose of releasing the tourneys in batches was not to clutter up the "Join A Tournament" forum.

sempai

Postby sempaispellcheck on Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:40 pm

The second batch of qualifying tournaments is now open for sign-ups!
See this post for more info on these tournaments and on the two SOS Africa non-tournament events!!

sempai

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:10 pm

Currently we are at $85 of our $500 fundraising target. I think we can do better than that!
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby jaxdadio on Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:00 am

sign me up for bread and beer please
Private jaxdadio

Postby sempaispellcheck on Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:51 pm

The Grand Finale tournament is finally underway!!

The Grand Finale tournament will consist of 26 games for each player. All games will be played on the Africa II map with automatic initial troops, sequential play order, chained reinforcements, 24-hour turns, and 30-round limits. Also, all games will have escalating spoils except for the 5-player standard games, which will have no spoils.

Scoreboard can be found on the "Finalists" tab of this spreadsheet

Games will be sent out in 6 batches:

Batch 1 will consist of 4 8-player quadruples games - two with fog and trench, and two with no special gameplay.
You will get 3 points for being on the winning team and 1 point for eliminating a member of the opposing team.

Batch 2 will consist of 2 7-player assassin games with no special gameplay and 2 6-player standard games with fog and trench.
The assassin games will award 5 points to the winner, 0 points for the eliminated player, -3 points to any player who eliminates an opponent's target, and 2 points to everyone else.
The standard games will award 5 points to the winner, 4 points for second place, 3 points for third place, 2 points for fourth place, 1 point for fifth place, and 0 points for last place.

Batch 3 will consist of 4 6-player triples games - all with fog, two with trench, and two with no trench.
You will get 3 points for being on the winning team and 1 point for eliminating a member of the opposing team.

Batch 4 will consist of 2 5-player standard games with no special gameplay and 2 5-player terminator games with fog and trench.
The standard games will award 5 points to the winner, 4 points for second place, 3 points for third place, 2 points for fourth place, and 0 points for last place.
The terminator games will award 1 point for eliminating an opponent and an extra 2 points to the winner.

Batch 5 will consist of 4 4-player assassin games, two with fog and no trench and two with trench and no fog.
These games will award 5 points to the winner, 0 points for the eliminated player, -3 points to any player who eliminates an opponent's target, and 2 points to everyone else.

Batch 6 will consist of 2 4-player doubles games, 1 1v1 game, 1 poly 2 game, 1 poly 3 game, and 1 poly 4 game - the doubles games will have no special gameplay, the 1v1 and poly games will have fog and no trench.
The doubles games will award 3 points for being on the winning team and 1 point for eliminating a member of the opposing team.
The 1v1 and poly games will award 2 points per win.

All teams and matchups will be assembled randomly.
Mad777 has agreed to act a placeholder to allow even groups for all games.

sempai

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:33 am

Games sitting empty. Replacements needed.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby sempaispellcheck on Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:28 pm

Dukasaur wrote:Games sitting empty. Replacements needed.

I had planned to step in as a placeholder, but I am in two of the games in question, so I can't do that.
So, the placeholders who will help even the groups for the 5- and 6-player games will be called into action a bit early.

sempai

Postby sempaispellcheck on Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:18 am

Moving this out of the archives to announce that, a year and a half after the start of this event, the mega-tournament at its center has finally concluded.
AND THE WINNER IS... GreenBaize!!
Congratulations!! Very well done!!I will be contacting you shortly regarding your prize.

Thank you to everyone who played in this tournament or otherwise participated in this grand event!

sempai

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:59 pm

sempaispellcheck wrote:Moving this out of the archives to announce that, a year and a half after the start of this event, the mega-tournament at its center has finally concluded.
AND THE WINNER IS... GreenBaize!!
Congratulations!! Very well done!!I will be contacting you shortly regarding your prize.

Thank you to everyone who played in this tournament or otherwise participated in this grand event!

sempai

Thanks for seeing this through, sempaispellcheck the master tournamentimator!

Congratulations GreenBaize on your win!

Image Image ImageImage Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Re: SOS Africa -- Final Result

Postby Gamefreakguy on Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:39 pm

Thanks for the fun and well-organized event! :)
"Never let your fear decide your fate."
"He who controls others may be powerful but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." Lao Tzu
Major Gamefreakguy

Next

Return to Announcement Archives