Conquer Club

Christian hate group put this through my door yesterday

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Christian hate group put this through my door yesterday

Postby Symmetry on Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:07 pm

Weird stuff, a magazine for a group called the "Son's of Thunder" turned up on my doormat, apparently for a previous occupant. They kind of sound like a cult. I've dealt with a fair few weird Christian denominations in my time, and some of their "love" is pretty much indistinguishable from virulent hatred.

Any of you guys heard of them?
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Re: Christian hate group put this through my door yesterday

Postby crispybits on Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:10 pm

I was expecting a picture of a flaming dog turd or something like that....

A quick look at their website tells me that they "choose to extend liberty in all "non-essential" doctrinal matters". Having read Deuteronomy I'm wondering how they can find anything to be liberal about?
Major crispybits

Postby Symmetry on Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:15 pm

crispybits wrote:I was expecting a picture of a flaming dog turd or something like that....

A quick look at their website tells me that they "choose to extend liberty in all "non-essential" doctrinal matters". Having read Deuteronomy I'm wondering how they can find anything to be liberal about?

From their magazine I can tell you that they're planning a visit to Thailand to visit "ladyboys".
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby oVo on Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:18 pm

Doesn't that make them a form of Faux-Christian Hate Group?
Since God is Love and all true Christians abide in tolerance and
acts of kindness, these Thunder Bumpkins seem misguided
and not exactly the stuff of Christianity.

Christian Hate Group is an oxymoron. If you aren't too attached
to the literature they're spreading, maybe you should share it
with local authorities.
Major oVo

Postby Symmetry on Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:30 pm

oVo wrote:Doesn't that make them a form of Faux-Christian Hate Group?

with local authorities.

In these guy's case, it's more of a tautology. They are Christian, thus they hate.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:29 pm

Symmetry wrote:Weird stuff, a magazine for a group called the "Son's of Thunder" turned up on my doormat, apparently for a previous occupant. They kind of sound like a cult. I've dealt with a fair few weird Christian denominations in my time, and some of their "love" is pretty much indistinguishable from virulent hatred.

and????? where is the hate??? I don't get it, unless it's just something you wanted to include in the title in order to deal with your own hate issue?

I was expecting something like this...from a real hate group
Democratic Official Allan Brauer Wishes Death on Ted Cruz Aideā€™s Children

Kansas professor issues death wish upon children of NRA members

Did this Christian group issue a death wish to you Symm? Or threaten to cut off your head? What kind of hate are you talking about?
Major Phatscotty

Postby Ray Rider on Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:12 pm

Symmetry wrote:Weird stuff, a magazine for a group called the "Son's of Thunder" turned up on my doormat, apparently for a previous occupant. They kind of sound like a cult. I've dealt with a fair few weird Christian denominations in my time, and some of their "love" is pretty much indistinguishable from virulent hatred.

Never heard of the group...I would be kinda interested to see a sample of what they're handing out. I've only had JWs come to my door.

Meanwhile, Christians are being slaughtered wholesale in other areas of the world:
National Post wrote:It seemed this weekend as if it was open season on Christians across the Muslim world.

Seventy-eight Christians were slaughtered Sunday by twin suicide bombers at a church where I have attended services several times myself in Pakistanā€™s capital, Islamabad.

Less than 24 hours earlier a gang of Islamic militants from Somalia murdered at least 68 workers and shoppers, including two Canadians, at a mall in Kenya, allegedly shouting for Muslims to get out of the way so they could specifically kill Christians.

Coptic Christians in Egypt also have been targeted recently by supporters of the Muslim Brotherhood, and Christians in large numbers have left their ancient enclaves in Iraq and the West Bank after churches there were blown up or Christians were threatened.

The carnage had a special resonance in this predominately Christian town in Lebanonā€™s Bekaa Valley where Syrian Christians have taken refuge after being attacked by extremist groups linked to al-Qaeda such as Jabhat al-Nusra.

ā€œIf we stay in Syria, they will kill us. It is that simple,ā€ explained 36-year-old Rami Sammaan, after celebrating mass with his wife, Sally, and her mother, father and sister in the packed pews of St. Elias Maronite Church.
Highest score: 2221
Major Ray Rider

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:48 pm

That just gets him excited...
Major Phatscotty

Postby Army of GOD on Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:31 pm

Does the son own "of Thunder" or IS the son of Thunder?
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby 2dimes on Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:13 am

Symmetry wrote:

Sons of Thunder? You bet!
Corporal 2dimes

Postby macbone on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:43 am

Are you sure they're not some kind of pro-Teutonic gods group? =)

The name's a take-off of James and John, I guess, the "sons of thunder." What makes this group a hate group?

"Promoting liberty in all non-essential matters" sounds like they're trying to be more inclusive. The Vineyard is like that, too. The idea is to be accepting of others, as long as people believe basic Christian doctrine like Christ being fully God and fully man, etc. They'd say things like predestination or whether it's ok to drink alcohol is up to the individual Christian.
Colonel macbone

Postby rishaed on Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:19 am

Symmetry wrote: :lol: :lol:

Sorry I just don't see how this is a hate group. And yes I've heard of them. They also protest changes from KJV to NIV versions based on the fact that they say the translations are not the same (even with different wording).
aage wrote: Maybe you're right, but since we receive no handlebars from the mod I think we should get some ourselves.

Corporal 1st Class rishaed

Location: Somewhere in the Foundry forums looking for whats going on!

Postby Symmetry on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:18 pm

rishaed wrote:

Sorry I just don't see how this is a hate group. And yes I've heard of them. They also protest changes from KJV to NIV versions based on the fact that they say the translations are not the same (even with different wording).

Meh, just looked them up online, and the Southern Poverty Law Centre, which tracks hate groups, seems to list them as one.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Symmetry on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:21 pm

Army of GOD wrote:Does the son own "of Thunder" or IS the son of Thunder?

Mark 3:17, wiki tells me.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Night Strike on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:24 pm

Symmetry wrote:
rishaed wrote:

Meh, just looked them up online, and the Southern Poverty Law Centre, which tracks hate groups, seems to list them as one.

Find a better source. Anyone who is remotely right-wing is considered a hate group by then.
Major Night Strike

Postby Symmetry on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:27 pm

Night Strike wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
rishaed wrote:

Find a better source. Anyone who is remotely right-wing is considered a hate group by then.

Could you suggest a better source for tracking right wing hate groups?
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby fadedpsychosis on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:27 pm

Symmetry wrote:

with local authorities.

In these guy's case, it's more of a tautology. They are Christian, thus they hate.

I think you're getting your logic confused Sym... hate, being a base human emotion, is one that we are all subject to... and while it is true that if B is a subset of A, and one thing is true of all A, then it is true for all of B, it is not necessarily a defining characteristic of B. you could just as easily say that someone is an ice cream man, and thus he hates...
John Adams wrote:I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a Congress! And by God I have had this Congress!
Private fadedpsychosis

Postby Symmetry on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:31 pm

fadedpsychosis wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

with local authorities.

I think you're getting your logic confused Sym... hate, being a base human emotion, is one that we are all subject to... and while it is true that if B is a subset of A, and one thing is true of all A, then it is true for all of B, it is not necessarily a defining characteristic of B. you could just as easily say that someone is an ice cream man, and thus he hates...

Not really, that's the logic they employ. Are you aware of any person who claims that they became Christian because they hate homosexuals? I can point you to a group of people who hate homosexuals because they're Christian.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby fadedpsychosis on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:44 pm

Symmetry wrote:
fadedpsychosis wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

with local authorities.

Not really, that's the logic they employ. Are you aware of any person who claims that they became Christian because they hate homosexuals? I can point you to a group of people who hate homosexuals because they're Christian.

but you cannot say that of all Christians. again, if something is true of B, and B is a subset of A, it is NOT true to say that it is true of A. I can point to people who joined the military because they wanted to shoot people, but it neither makes it right, nor does it represent the military as a whole, nor even necessarily a large proportion of it.
one of the biggest problem with Religion (and I use the term for ALL religions, not just Christianity) is that it tends to focus on emotion, one way or another... and hate is a very powerful emotion. thus there will be those who seek to justify their hate by using religion (and honestly, you could have easily used better, more powerful examples to make your point... the Crusades or the Inqusistion for example, though both would have had the same logical flaw as what you used)
John Adams wrote:I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a Congress! And by God I have had this Congress!
Private fadedpsychosis

Postby Symmetry on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:50 pm

fadedpsychosis wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
fadedpsychosis wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

with local authorities.

but you cannot say that of all Christians. again, if something is true of B, and B is a subset of A, it is NOT true to say that it is true of A. I can point to people who joined the military because they wanted to shoot people, but it neither makes it right, nor does it represent the military as a whole, nor even necessarily a large proportion of it.
one of the biggest problem with Religion (and I use the term for ALL religions, not just Christianity) is that it tends to focus on emotion, one way or another... and hate is a very powerful emotion. thus there will be those who seek to justify their hate by using religion (and honestly, you could have easily used better, more powerful examples to make your point... the Crusades or the Inqusistion for example, though both would have had the same logical flaw as what you used)

And yet I feel that this argument applies more to your logic than mine. Clearly I'm talking about a Christian hate group, yet you seem to feel that this means that I think all Christians are members of a hate group, or that it's not possible to be a Christian hate group. I disagree with your logic on this Psychosis.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby jonesthecurl on Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:06 pm

Summary:
Sym says - these guys feel that to be Christian is to neeed to hate.
fp says - not all christians feel the need to hate.

OK. end of discussion.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby fadedpsychosis on Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:14 pm

Symmetry wrote: And yet I feel that this argument applies more to your logic than mine. Clearly I'm talking about a Christian hate group, yet you seem to feel that this means that I think all Christians are members of a hate group, or that it's not possible to be a Christian hate group. I disagree with your logic on this Psychosis.

not at all... from my standpoint to be a member of the human race is to be a member of a hate group... from your definition anyway.
Symmetry wrote:In these guy's case, it's more of a tautology. They are Christian, thus they hate.

I read this to mean that they hate, therefore they are a hate group. my point was simply that all humans with the capacity for emotion hate (so I suppose I should exclude schizos from the hate group list?)
Private fadedpsychosis

Postby Symmetry on Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:22 pm

fadedpsychosis wrote:
Symmetry wrote: And yet I feel that this argument applies more to your logic than mine. Clearly I'm talking about a Christian hate group, yet you seem to feel that this means that I think all Christians are members of a hate group, or that it's not possible to be a Christian hate group. I disagree with your logic on this Psychosis.

not at all... from my standpoint to be a member of the human race is to be a member of a hate group... from your definition anyway.
Symmetry wrote:In these guy's case, it's more of a tautology. They are Christian, thus they hate.

I read this to mean that they hate, therefore they are a hate group. my point was simply that all humans with the capacity for emotion hate (so I suppose I should exclude schizos from the hate group list?)

I have no idea what you mean by this, can you clarify? You've deleted my arguments leading up to this, so I do wonder whether you accepted them, or wish them forgotten, or whether there's something else here.

I'd rather you be up front about what you dislike.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby fadedpsychosis on Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:44 pm

Symmetry wrote:
fadedpsychosis wrote:

I have no idea what you mean by this, can you clarify? You've deleted my arguments leading up to this, so I do wonder whether you accepted them, or wish them forgotten, or whether there's something else here.

I deleted the extra because it was... well, extra. If you want I can re-quote absolutely everything up to this point, but I was trying to make it easy to see what I was talking about... if you think I'd
Symmetry wrote:wish them forgotten
I probably wouldn't be quoting in the first place...

anyway, my entire point is this: you use bad logic to reinforce your personal ideology which is what I personally hate most about politicians and religious fanatics the most... so I hate groups, does that make me a hate group?
Private fadedpsychosis

Postby Symmetry on Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:47 pm

fadedpsychosis wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
fadedpsychosis wrote:

I deleted the extra because it was... well, extra. If you want I can re-quote absolutely everything up to this point, but I was trying to make it easy to see what I was talking about... if you think I'd
Symmetry wrote:wish them forgotten
I probably wouldn't be quoting in the first place...

anyway, my entire point is this: you use bad logic to reinforce your personal ideology which is what I personally hate most about politicians and religious fanatics the most... so I hate groups, does that make me a hate group?

You seem to hate my personal ideology. Can you outline it for me? If it is your entire point, that is.
Sergeant Symmetry

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,