Conquer Club

What do you do when you first start playing...

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

What do you do when you first start playing...

Postby CHCL on Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:56 am

...Have no idea of strategy, and have already lost your first game. :oops:

I am playing on world 2.1 and classic. What are the strategies of each?

BTW, is there any resign button? One of my games is totally lost. :(
Cook CHCL

Re: What do you do when you first start playing...

Postby sempaispellcheck on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:30 am

CHCL wrote:...Have no idea of strategy, and have already lost your first game. :oops:

I am playing on world 2.1 and classic. What are the strategies of each?

BTW, is there any resign button? One of my games is totally lost. :(

It happens to most of us, if not all. I lost more than 300 points in my first three months, and look at me know...not much better. Well, I did get up to 1850 at one point, so there's that. :D

I suggest joining the Society of the Cooks. You'll meet a lot of great teachers there - and while the official SoC strategy is geared toward one specific type of game, the teachers there know a lot about many other different types as well, and they're always willing to help out.

Above all, be patient, and give yourself time to learn. This site has a lot of different maps and a lot of different settings, and there are many different ways to play each one, so it may take you some time to find the maps, settings, and strategies that work best for you.
Relax, have fun, and remember that at the end of the day, it's only a game.

And no, there is no resign button. Many users have asked for one over the years, and it has been rejected each time.

sempai
High score: 2200 - July 20, 2015
Game 13890915 - in which I helped clinch the NC4 title for LHDD

Lieutenant sempaispellcheck

Location: Among the clouds and the skyscrapers, saving the world.

Postby waltero on Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:10 pm

Pick a High ranking player and Suicide on him...they expect it of you.
Gots to teach em who is boss! They will respect you for it.

You will find that no matter what your strategy might be, the high ranks will most likely target you (and almost always figure you for a suiciding fool). They know you are a rookie and a easy target. Then there is the point loss. If It comes down to you winning the game or a higher rank (than you) winning the game, the other players will generally target you, being that you are of low rank...and they do not want to lose any more points than they have too.
Cook waltero

Postby waltero on Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:14 pm

I do not play with Bob. Maybe one of these nice gents can tell you about Bob. It might be a great help to you.
Cook waltero

Postby Shannon Apple on Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:40 pm

LOL, don't listen to waltero. He sprouts a lot of nonsense about targeting.

Sempai gives good advice. Join the SoC as they will give you the basic strategy for playing on the classic map. The teachers there are generally nice people and very helpful. Good luck. :)
00:33:53 ‹riskllama› will her and i ever hook up, LLT???
00:34:09 ‹LiveLoveTeach› You and Shannon?
00:34:20 ‹LiveLoveTeach› Bahahahahahaha
00:34:22 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I doubt it
00:34:30 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I don't think she's into farm animals
Brigadier Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby waltero on Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:12 am

I speak jokingly for the most part. But I do not lie.
Tis true...watch out for the big guys (high ranking players). They are good.
Some of them are assholes and will kill (gang up)the weaker players first (Target low ranks). I do not mean simply taking the low ranks out of the game, they will lambast and ridicule you . Do not take it to heart. This is not a real War game.
Might want to stay away from multi-singles with too many High ranking players involved in one game.
Do not focus (solely) on the low ranking players.
Keep your eye on the Big guy (High rank) at all times, they are very good at exploiting weakness. They (not only the high ranks) will talk shit and try to persuade you to take other action (move in a different direction).

Psychological warfare!

As far as Strategy: What She said...post above this one.
But I can tell you something that might be useful to you now.
I will put it on your wall
Last edited by waltero on Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cook waltero

Postby macbone on Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:30 am

I don't recommend suiciding, CHCL, but waltero's advice about watching the higher ranked players in games and learning what they do (so you can beat them!) is good advice.

As the valiant sempai and Shannon said, it's a good idea to check out the Society of the Cooks, CC's official Training Academy. We can give you some pointers and directions, and although we teach more on the classic Risk-like settings, it's a good place to start. I joined up myself when I was a new recruit, and my teachers helped me out tremendously.

Here's our forum: SoC Training Academy

To sign up for training, just click on the first thread that says "Sign up here for training - new group starting soon."

Good luck, and see you on the battlefield!
Colonel macbone

Postby AyeTrain on Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:56 am

What to do when you lose your first game? Go play your second! Expect to lose the first couple of games, but pay attention to the winning strategies and learn from them. That's where playing the higher-ranked players is a good idea: I've never seen them target newbies per se, so don't be afraid of them, but on the other hand rookie commanders do tend to make mistakes, and a skilled commander will take advantage of them. That's part of good strategy, too.

You can minimize the learning curve by playing relatively few at a time (say 4-6) on simple maps, and don't try fog or nuclear right away. The Society of Cooks will certainly help you, or if you can find a good player that you like, you could ask them to mentor you a bit. Many of us have done that.
Lieutenant AyeTrain

Postby waltero on Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:08 pm

It appears that the page location thingy is not working properly. Or maybe it is me.
Goto your wall, hit "find all games" try going to a specific page number (little arrow pointing down). Where the hell does that bring you?
I could not find a game I was involved in. think it might have to do with non-premium player, then going premium...don't record your non-premium games, before you went premium? who knows.

Quote: I've never seen them target newbies per se, so don't be afraid of them.

It is somewhat irreverent at this point. You might notice it a bit more being a low rank player.

I had a specific game in mind...could not locate it.
I have played many a game where High rank has suicide and target Low rank (preventing them from losing to a low rank player).
Not so much lately.
Cook waltero

Postby Shannon Apple on Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:33 pm

waltero wrote:I speak jokingly for the most part. But I do not lie.
Tis true...watch out for the big guys (high ranking players). They are good.
Some of them are assholes and will kill (gang up)the weaker players first (Target low ranks). I do not mean simply taking the low ranks out of the game, they will lambast and ridicule you . Do not take it to heart. This is not a real War game.

There are assholes in every kind of game, but rank does not automatically mean asshole :P. For instance, if I went and joined a terminator game right now with players all lower ranked than myself, you can almost guarantee that I'd be the first one taken out for my points. I learned not to join term games anymore, unless they are close in rank to me. It makes sense that they'd do that though. The goal is to win points. You have to play smart and join games where there is less risk of that happening.

It works both ways. In a standard game, it is more beneficial to have a higher rank win than a lower rank and I have seen instances of a lower rank suiciding on another low rank who could have won because he knew he'd lose less points if the higher rank won. If you come across idiots like that, foe them. It's that simple.
00:33:53 ‹riskllama› will her and i ever hook up, LLT???
00:34:09 ‹LiveLoveTeach› You and Shannon?
00:34:20 ‹LiveLoveTeach› Bahahahahahaha
00:34:22 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I doubt it
00:34:30 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I don't think she's into farm animals
Brigadier Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby waltero on Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:15 pm

I think Newbs can play asinine, where as High ranks are more vocal in there asinine play.

You are right it works both ways.
Newbs and HR Suicide and target for all the same reasons (ignorance).
No need to fear the HR, it is the HR that fear the newbs.

I had more than a few examples of how silly some of the (lame) HR players can be.
Can not find the games. How could I be missing some of my games? I joined July fourth (non-premium) and I see no game that started after October (that is when I went Premium).
Have not encountered too many (HR assholes) since I went Premium.

Oh I love it when I do! Just counter there foul language and false tactics, with Logic and the game log...shuts them right up (they hit the foe button first).

I do not foe too often if ever. I live for that shit!
Cook waltero

Postby macbone on Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:35 am

Nope, waltero, all of your games are recorded, not just premium games.

Edit: Weird, I just looked through your games, and I had the same problem. I could manually hit the next page button, but I couldn't go to your last page or enter a specific page number.

Here, try this. Change the number at the end to the page number you want to view:

http://www.conquerclub.com/player.php?s ... =D&page=11

The point about being vocal is a good one, I think. Use the game chat! It's there for a reason. It seems like a lot of players never say anything in game chat.

I personally use mine for my soundtrack, but that's just me. =)
Colonel macbone

Postby Arama86n on Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:36 pm

A small piece of advice:
There is no overall strategy that's best for any map, as it comes down to what settings you are playing on. I see you are playing both flat-rate and escalating games for example, they require vastly different strategies.

As others here have suggested, Society of Cooks is probably a good place to start.

Welcome, and good luck out there.
Major Arama86n

Return to Conquer Club Discussion