Conquer Club

How to make a map (updated 17-Mar-2006)

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby ThuMp on Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:36 pm

Nobunaga wrote:... For each country in the XML, the x & y coordinates are entered. What location, specifically, are those coordinates marking?

... Is that the x & y of the upper-left corner of the number used to show armies present? Is it the x & y of the center of where that graphic will be drawn?

Did you ever get an answer to this?
Sergeant 1st Class ThuMp

Postby lackattack on Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:17 am

x and y coordinates are from the top left.
Sergeant lackattack

Postby mjs94 on Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:42 pm

since you have a copywrite "clause", why not give credit to the map maker? For instance, on the Asia map (Far East) you could post a credit to Prussian and who ever updated it...
guess I'm not a newbie anymore...
Major mjs94

Postby lackattack on Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:37 am

Thanks to Jota, who provided the XML checking code, there is a new form on the mapmaker page that tests your XML for errors such as a territory that can't be attacked. This should reduce the cycle of bug reports and fixes when a new map is published.
Last edited by lackattack on Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant lackattack

Postby Nobunaga on Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:48 am

Way to go, JOTA!!! :lol:
Sergeant 1st Class Nobunaga

Postby Hoff on Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:05 pm

I'm having trouble with the small map. I go to test the coordinates and when the map loads its too big and you cant see the whole thing. But I know the map is within the coordinates of what you said in your first post. What can i do? help please!
Sergeant Hoff

Postby thegrimsleeper on Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:13 pm

It sounds like your image is larger than what you specified in the xml. Double-check the beginning of your xml to make sure you correctly entered the dimensions of each size.
Sergeant 1st Class thegrimsleeper

Postby Hoff on Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:20 pm

thanks it worked!
Sergeant Hoff

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:01 pm

Though I don't make maps, I do have one piece of advice to contribute to those that do. Don't rush. Let me say that again. Don't rush. Too often a map is in development and after only a day or two with little edits it has instantly become 'playable'. All good maps need to go through some sort of evaluation process to work out the kinks and bugs. It's rather sad to see a good map with potential, gone to waste due to bugginess and unbalance.

Edit: And to add what I said above, be open to suggestions. People in the Foundry are always looking to make the map making process more efficient so that the quality of the maps can be upped now that we have a good quantity.

Also, try to find something unique that can distinguish your map from the rest, so it isn't just 'another map'. That uniqueness could be an interesting feature, or perhaps the base location for the map, or any number of things, but something must set your map apart from others.

--Andy
Last edited by AndyDufresne on Thu May 18, 2006 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby freakshow on Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:38 am

It might seem odd to see me say this (beacuse I know Andy's post is directed at me) but he makes a good point, trust me, rushing a map doesn't help even if you end up with the balance right is more work then it's worth fixing mistakes once it's up. In addition I'd like to recomend some programs for people who would like to make maps but currently only have paint installed on their computer.

The Gimp (http://www.gimp.org) This is an open source alternative to photoshop. Since it's open sourced versions are available in most languages for every operateing system. There are tons of online forums and tutorials which will help you learn everyaspect of this program. My advice is to learn the power of the path tool, it's all to often over looked but it offers a very easy way to draw perfectly even lines, even if you aren't artistically inclined.

Inkscape (http://www.inkscape.org) I've seen the term vector graphics thrown around alittle here, for those of you who don't understand the diffrence between vector graphics and pixel graphics don't worry. Inkscape while tricky to use provides a free alternative to programs that sell for several hundred dollars. Like the Gimp it too is open sourced which means that it will run on your computer, no matter what operating system your running.

Blender 3d (Blender3d.org) For those of you adventureous enough to consider doing some 3d modeling as part of your map creation this would be a good start. Alternatively if you don't know how to model in 3d it's always a good time to learn how. Blender is by far the best open source 3d modeler available, it can do anything that programs costing several thousand dollars more can. Again there are tutorials available if you find yourself lost in the interface (you will).

All the programs listed above are totally free, most of them are pretty intuitive once you get past the inital learning. I'd also be willing to post a map making 101 if anyone is interested, I'm sure other mappers would be willing to help.
Private freakshow

Postby kevinc on Wed May 17, 2006 3:58 pm

To add to Freakshow's software suggestoins Paint.NET is also a really decent tool. It's like a basic version of Photoshop, and would be quite suitable. I would second Inkscape's recommendation aswell, it's a great tool.
Corporal kevinc

Postby gavin_sidhu on Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:07 am

I think this should be made a sticky. I am making a map atm (sort of, just playing around to see if it works), and found it heaps useful to read all the comments in here made by users who ran into problems that i am running into.

And freakshow, im not sure if u have done it, but if you havent can u publish the map-making 101? (I need all the help i can get).
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby Haydena on Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:22 am

Obviously you don't read.

And I don't think freakshow is still very active on the forums because his Indochina map hasn't been finished off.
Sergeant 1st Class Haydena

Postby gavin_sidhu on Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:09 pm

Haydena wrote:Obviously you don't read.

And I don't think freakshow is still very active on the forums because his Indochina map hasn't been finished off.

Ive read that, but it doesnt have solutions to common problems like this has.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:59 am

Really this post has little more to offer, hence the reason it was unstickied a while ago. You've ressurected it from the ashes of the Foundry Furnace.

--Andy

Postby nascarfan38124 on Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:46 pm

i was just wondering what is the difference between the update and the old "How to make a map" except that it is an easier to undersand order.
because i have the old one printed out and i can just write in the differences
also i would aslo like to see the map making 101 be posted it could help me on the map i am currently making
petebob wrote:You should drop out of school immediately--it's impinging on your game!
Lieutenant nascarfan38124

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:49 pm

The difference....is that it's easier to understand an in order. And Lack isn't officially dealing with maps (One of my Domains), that is why it is stickied, and this one is unstickied. Feel free to reference this one at any time, but I consider this thread closed. It doesn't really need to be bumped.

--Andy

Previous

Return to Foundry Discussions