Conquer Club

Questions for SoC Advisers

The SoC Training Academy and its Training Grounds provide basic training for new and old members looking to enhance their game strategy. "Train a Cook today, lose to a Sergeant tomorrow"

Moderator: Academy Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Questions for SoC Advisers

Postby Viceroy63 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:23 pm

I guess you can say that I like to recycle because I am not just going to let this thread go into the abyss. LOL. This thread was formerly, "Coming Soon to an SoC near You!" Now it's "Questions for SoC Advisers." I can't guarantee that the any Adviser will respond but if you have a question that you would like to see addressed then post it here and see who bites? LOL. This is a completely voluntary thread for the Adviser's. As is everything else in CC. Completely voluntary. Just so we understand. =)

I just wanted to say that this thread is now the thread for any and all questions to, for and about the SoC. This will eliminate starting up new threads just for a single question and will most likely get several answers not just from Adviser's but anyone can and should contribute to the topic talk here.

If the topic talk or question is interesting then an article may be written about it and a link posted in the SoC Report. I would encourage anyone who has an article idea or who enjoys writing, to PM Dhallmeyer, Macbone, Iron Butterfly or myself, Viceroy63 about writing articles for the SoC Report. Just click on our names to contact us.

Answers may or may not appear in this thread or may also be re-posted in the SoC Monthly Report. Also any ideas or comments should be posted here as well please. Anything you would like for the SoC Monthly Report to consider? Let us know. Thank you!
------------------------------------------------------------

(Before February 28, 2013)
Hi fellow students and SoC members and anyone who would like to be.

I would like to ask any and all persons reading this thread to leave a comment or to contact me personally and I would make it known to Dhallmeyer in order to get an idea of what sort of topics you would like to read about in an "SoC Report." I am thinking of things like Graduations and welcoming New SoC Students into the fold and things like that. Of that nature. Perhaps a student of the month or a play of the month, Any and all ideas that you may have.

We will eventually get around to forming an SoC Report, by the SoC and for the SoC. Would you like to be interviewed or hear about your fellow students? Let me know. Any idea at all that you may have or come up with to help us in this endeavor would be greatly appreciated. Also if you would be interested in helping to post such a report, then let me know that also as well or any of the SoC Advisers. Well, don't bother them. Just bother me. LOL. But seriously, this would be our "magazine" so your input is valuable to us. I personally will be one of the contributors to the SoC report and your help and assistance in making this a reality is most appreciated.

Remember that the SoC Report, by the SoC and for the SoC, will be coming to an SoC near You!

[Note]
THIS IS NOT A JOKE! AN SOC REPORT IS IN THE PROGRESS OF BEING CREATED AND YOUR SINCERE INPUT IS MOST WELCOMED AND APPRECIATED. THANK YOU!

Dhallmeyer, Macbone, and IB have final posting authority and the last word on any and all ideas, inputs and suggestions.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attachments
fg.jpg
fg.jpg (30.25 KiB) Viewed 20505 times
Last edited by Viceroy63 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:36 pm, edited 9 times in total.
An Unproven Hypothesis; The Rise of Ignorance.
Ultimate Proof of Creation. Click the show tab below.
show
Major Viceroy63

Location: A little back water, hill billy hick place called Earth.

Re: Coming Soon to an SoC near You!

Postby Koganosi on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:29 am

I would suggest posting it here. Since also more people would be reading it then. Players who didnt check this post or whatsoever could look into here just for reading forums or seeing the last post en be interested in what is happening here. And so joining the SoC as trainee or wanting to help as a trainer in anyway.

Emails could work to but then its to specific people. And people have tedency to not reply then or whatsoever or atleast they wont respond as much as reading it on the forums I quess.

Urs

Koganosi
Major Koganosi

Postby ben.cleuch on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:31 pm

Sounds like a very good idea. Would it also include a grads section?
ben.cleuch
Sergeant 1st Class ben.cleuch

Postby macbone on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:48 pm

I'd like another option. =) I'd like to read the Newsletter in the forum and also have it PMed to me in my CC Inbox (not my regular inbox). You can start a subscription list if you want, Viceroy.

But of those options above, I'll go with Forums for now. =)

And a grad section would be a grand idea!
Colonel macbone

Postby Viceroy63 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:05 am

Thanks for the input guys. I edited the wording on the votes to show "CC Inbox" because it would be a lot of work to send it to regular emails outside of CC.

It's actually very much easier to just send the SoC Report to every SoC Members CC Inbox But the problem would be if they did not want to receive it in the first place. They may think us soliciting for something.

We could create a separate list by subscriptions only and that would be the trick and the work. Other than that it would all be gravy.

Keep the ideas coming in People. We are aiming to start this next month, in February 2013.
show
Major Viceroy63

Postby dhallmeyer on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:54 am

I think both would be most effective at getting the word out, or perhaps just a pm with a link and a short explanation.
Major dhallmeyer
Senior SoC Training Instructor

Postby Viceroy63 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:33 pm

Yes; I like that Link idea. It's not too imposing and is just an "FYI" if you want to check it out sort of a deal. That's really what should have been done with the Newsletter I think. I personally don't read it as I am not in any clans or tournaments but I will be reading the SoC Report.

Well I guess I have to though if I am helping in putting it together. LOL.

BTW; While the SoC Report, is not yet ready, Mac's Honor Roll will have that section posted by the end of the day. Today! LInk is below...

SoC's Honor Roll
Last edited by Viceroy63 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
show
Major Viceroy63

Postby Rexara on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:05 pm

dhallmeyer wrote:I think both would be most effective at getting the word out, or perhaps just a pm with a link and a short explanation.

+1

I read the forums all the time so that will work just fine.
Sergeant Rexara

Re: Questions for SoC Advisers

Postby Viceroy63 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:56 pm

I just wanted to say that this thread is now the thread for any and all questions to, for and about the SoC. This will eliminate starting up new threads just for a single question and will most likely get several answers not just from Adviser's but anyone can and should contribute to the topic talk here.

If the topic talk or question is interesting then an article may be written about it and a link posted in the SoC Report. I would encourage anyone who has an article idea or who enjoys writing, to PM Dhallmeyer, Macbone, Iron Butterfly or myself, Viceroy63 about writing articles for the SoC Report. Just click on our names to contact us.
show
Major Viceroy63

Postby Degenerate Saint on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:05 pm

Hello, hope everyone is having a good day! I have a question regarding training time limits: I haven't played a single terminator style game yet. Is there a specific date in which all of my games must be completed in order to (hopefully) graduate? Should I try to play a few 6-7 member term games on the classic map first, or just delve right into this thing? Thanks for your time and assistance, I appreciate it!

1 YEAR

++I'm not accepting any game invites for a little while. Going to let my current slate of games run down, then take about a month off.++
Lieutenant Degenerate Saint

Postby Viceroy63 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:34 pm

Degenerate Saint wrote:Hello, hope everyone is having a good day! I have a question regarding training time limits: I haven't played a single terminator style game yet. Is there a specific date in which all of my games must be completed in order to (hopefully) graduate? Should I try to play a few 6-7 member term games on the classic map first, or just delve right into this thing? Thanks for your time and assistance, I appreciate it!

As far as I understand it, there is no time limit in which to learn the strategy. Some people take to learning quickly while others need more time to really understand the principles involved. The only thing that is really needed is the desire to learn and to stick with the program until you do graduate.

You will automatically meet the requirements for graduation upon learning and playing the strategy. Below is a link to read more about what those requirements are. Hope this is helpful.

Graduation Requirements.
show
Major Viceroy63

Postby dhallmeyer on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:58 pm

To echo what viceroy said, there is no schedule for training. It is entirely self-directed; you work at your own pace.
Major dhallmeyer

Postby Degenerate Saint on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:53 am

Thank you both for the timely response, I greatly appreciate it!

1 YEAR

++I'm not accepting any game invites for a little while. Going to let my current slate of games run down, then take about a month off.++
Lieutenant Degenerate Saint

Postby Lord_Bremen on Mon May 06, 2013 1:17 am

Why don't you guys do flat rate too? Much more strategy there, escalating 90% of the time that you lose it's cause someone else screwed up.
Major Lord_Bremen

Postby Viceroy63 on Mon May 06, 2013 7:25 pm

Lord_Bremen wrote:Why don't you guys do flat rate too? Much more strategy there, escalating 90% of the time that you lose it's cause someone else screwed up.

With the exception of the 90% of lost part, I do agree with you that you lose 'Sometimes' because another messed up and had a failed kill and the next player in line wins the game then. But it is my opinion, and I stand to be corrected here if I am wrong, that even in a perfect game, where everyone plays the strategy of the escalating spoils game perfectly, and waits for the right timing in which to do the kill that the most that you can win is perhaps 30% of your games.

I think that the reason for this is simple to understand. In order for there to be one winner in a 6 player escalating game, there must by necessity also be 5 loser's. lol. So all things being even, the math works out to my point of view and you must lose approximately 80% to 85% percent of your games. That's almost 90%.

I guess my point is that, "You can't win em all."

But to answer your question, and again this is my oppinion, But the "Strategy of the Stack," as I call it, is a simple strategy to teach. The SoC (as I see it) simply wants to instill an understanding of winning strategy principles, at the simplest level to those who really don't have a good understanding of the concept of winning strategy and may believe it to be all luck. That is why those players all have the rank of "Cook" because they play a "Hit or Miss" strategy and not a winning strategy. If your rank is higher than "Cook" then you obviously have a grasp or some idea at least, of the basics of winning strategic principles.

I do believe that an attempt was made for the more complex Flat Rate strategies but I am not sure what ever became of that. But the more complicated that something is, the more that can go wrong with it, the more attention to details that it needs, the more thought that has to be given it, etc. etc. etc. lol. In the end, just helping players grasp the basic understanding of winning principles, is the purpose for the SoC.

That's what I think anyway. :D
show
Major Viceroy63

Postby dhallmeyer on Tue May 07, 2013 9:47 pm

Viceryo touched on this, but I will go farther.

We teach the basics. Our goal is to give new and inexperienced players confidence and the skills they will be able to use elsewhere around the site.

We teach a very narrow strategy, and we freely admit it. But our purpose is not to teach every strategy, just to teach the basics so people can learn to enjoy the site. If you want more specialized instruction, try finding a mentor or joining a clan.
Major dhallmeyer

Postby currahee68 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:14 pm

I am involved in a game where I am the only one to follow the SoC guidelines. I just took my 3rd turn where the smallest stack near me was a 3. I attacked with a 7, lost 2, and ended my turn. Any suggestions on strategy? Not just for this game, but strategy in general for the situation. Thanks.
Major currahee68

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:03 am

currahee68 wrote:I am involved in a game where I am the only one to follow the SoC guidelines. I just took my 3rd turn where the smallest stack near me was a 3. I attacked with a 7, lost 2, and ended my turn. Any suggestions on strategy? Not just for this game, but strategy in general for the situation. Thanks.

1. Be patient. Sometimes it takes a couple turns for card spots to open up. Eventually they will.

2. If nobody is opening a card spot, use the chat window and ask someone to trade cards with you. Diplomacy is a part of the game.

3. If 1 and 2 both fail you, sometimes in the end you have to smash open a card spot by brute force. (Throwing stack versus stack.) That does happen, but it's rare. Make sure you really have given 1 and 2 a chance before using 3.

(If I'm guessing correctly about which game you're talking about, looks like it's opening up anyway. Take Hong Kong, combine your troops there, and get away from that bonus monkey in Oz before he comes out!)
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby currahee68 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:30 am

I know the CC game you are looking at, and that is my plan. The game I was talking about is in another Risk web site. But thank you much for the feedback.
Major currahee68

Postby weathertop on Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:27 pm

Hey there,
new to CC, but not new to online risk - been playing at another site for sheesh 4 years now. I've got a handle on the basic maps and looking for someone to help advise me on this site's more advanced maps.

I'd like to see what's possible on maps here, and all i've seen is classic fare with only way to tell who's who is colored numbers. are there maps where the whole territory fills up with color instead of just numbers (or the modified x##)?

what are some of the other unique map options (not game type, i can find those easy enough)? looking thru some of the forums it looks like there's factory type maps...(auto deploy?) what are some of those?

thanks for the help!
weathertop
Corporal 1st Class weathertop

Postby weathertop on Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:34 pm

glad to see there's people out there looking at the newbie forum...
Corporal 1st Class weathertop

Postby macbone on Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:09 am

Hey, weathertop. =)

This isn't exactly the "newbie forum" (we do need a Beginners forum), but this is a place to get help. =) You can also post in the Questions and Answers forum with any specific site questions, which you can find here: viewforum.php?f=57

To answer your question, no, there are no maps that have territories that completely fill with the player's color. Many maps use many different color schemes, and colors are used to distinguish which territories are part of which continent bonuses on a lot of maps.

One thing you can do if you want to see more clearly which player holds which territories is to turn on "colors" at the top right of your game map, right under the game number. That adds a letter for a color code to the number, so instead of a red 10 on one territory, you'll see a red r10. It helps me distinguish greens from blues, among other things.

Right, auto deploy gives you automatic extra spoils on a territory if you hold that territory for one round. Some maps that feature auto deploy include Peloponnesian War and Feudal War/Feudal Epic.

Another special feature is bombardment, where one territory can attack but not conquer another territory. Some maps that feature this gameplay are Waterloo and Stalingrad.

Some territories can one-way attack and conquer other territories. WWII Europe has a few of those, as does Greater China.

Some territories can mutually bombard each other, but cannot conquer each other. Stalingrad features this with the planes and AA guns.

Another feature is killer neutrals, territories that revert to neutrals if held for one round. Watch out for this type of territory on maps like das Schloss and Monsters.

For more information, check out Gameplay Features here: http://www.conquerclub.com/public.php?m ... tructions6

There's an addon called BOB that can show you which territories can bombard and one-way attack each other. You can get it in the Tools and Enhancements forum, found here: viewforum.php?f=526

For a description of game options like Fog of War and Trench, you can go to the Instructions tab up at the top, right under the Conquer Club masthead: http://www.conquerclub.com/public.php?m ... tructions3

Feel free to ask more questions, either here or in Q & A! =)
Colonel macbone

Postby Kragomac on Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:10 pm

I notice that many of the SoC Advisers have more than 2 training medals. I know about the 1st 2 - individual and team. What are the additional ones for?

Krag
Cook Kragomac

Postby dhallmeyer on Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:04 pm

Time Served. We award them if a teacher has been active for X months. Doesn't matter if it's their first time or not.
Major dhallmeyer

Next

Return to SoC Training Grounds