Conquer Club

San Francisco [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby dominationnation on Thu May 17, 2007 8:42 pm

sorry if this has been discussed before but what happens if the only territory you have left is alcatraz. you have essentaily lost no matter what because you cant attack
Cook dominationnation

Postby casper on Thu May 17, 2007 9:04 pm

no chance of parole obviously. :-P just avoid getting in that situation if it looks like it might happen to you. and if you're down to one country you're 99% not going to win anyways.
Major casper

Postby dominationnation on Thu May 17, 2007 9:06 pm

unless its escalating and the card sets are up to the hundreds
Cook dominationnation

Postby casper on Thu May 17, 2007 9:09 pm

true enough. obviously i don't play escalating much. :-D yes that would suck but again with a little foresight then it can be avoided.
Major casper

Postby Wisse on Fri May 18, 2007 7:14 am

hah i killed johloh on his own map!
http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=423419
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby yeti_c on Fri May 18, 2007 8:48 am

Coleman wrote:
Stoney229 wrote:my firefox extension seems to indicate that alcatraz can attack out as normal.

That's just showing you that everyone can attack it. The script doesn't really understand one way borders.

If you read the bit that says "Map Inspect" then it tells you which borders are "defend only" and "attack only"...

C.

PS Johloh - what's that bit in the middle of the map? (I don't know SF geography at all)
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby johloh on Fri May 18, 2007 10:35 pm

do you mean the middle bit that isnt a territory?

thats a hill called twin peaks...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_Peaks,_San_Francisco,_California
my new site - http://www.spritestitch.com/ - A video game craft weblog...
Major johloh

Postby prplmnstr on Sat May 19, 2007 2:49 am

love the map, but i was pickled when all my territories but alcatraz were taken. i kept deploying armies while the remaining two players fought each other. when one of them died, the other wiped me out in one turn. this was pointless and annoying because i might as well have been dead. is there some way to make it so that an enemy must take alcatraz before the last territory when attempting to kill someone off?
Sergeant 1st Class prplmnstr

Postby johloh on Sat May 19, 2007 8:56 am

is there some way to make it so that an enemy must take alcatraz before the last territory when attempting to kill someone off?
nope.
my new site - http://www.spritestitch.com/ - A video game craft weblog...
Major johloh

Postby hulmey on Sat May 19, 2007 9:06 am

good idea but in practise not good at all...Should have been thought of before map was launched.

For example if this happens during RT is the player just meant to sit there pointlessly??
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby WidowMakers on Sat May 19, 2007 10:04 am

hulmey wrote:good idea but in practise not good at all...Should have been thought of before map was launched.

For example if this happens during RT is the player just meant to sit there pointlessly??
That is all part of being stuck on the Island. Don't do Bad things and you won't go to prison. :D
Major WidowMakers

Postby ranck3 on Sat May 19, 2007 10:40 am

Awsome, just get a rid of clouds, looks like its floating in air.
[img]If you are trying to read this you must have alot of time on your hands.
Cook ranck3

Re:

Postby djak. on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:56 am

hulmey wrote:good idea but in practise not good at all...Should have been thought of before map was launched.

Is it possible to make Alcatraz -4 each turn, and if a player has 4 or less it becomes neutral?
Lieutenant djak.

Re: San Francisco [Quenched]

Postby MrBenn on Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:17 pm

VestedPower wrote:Mr Benn,

Hats off to whomever created or supplied the San Francisco map. I'm brand new to the site, just learning, and was pleasantly surprised to find this map. If you know who did it, please send along my congrats, I'm from the Bay.

Good day,

VestedPower
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby jleonnn on Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:14 am

This is the first map on CC based on a satelite image... :0 good job!
Major jleonnn

Postby iancanton on Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:25 pm

a minor nitpick: McLaren Park on the map but Mclaren Park in the xml and game logs.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby natty dread on Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:53 pm

Can a losing condition be added to this map, so that if you only hold Alcatraz you're out of the game?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Re:

Postby perchorin on Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:42 am

WidowMakers wrote:

That is all part of being stuck on the Island. Don't do Bad things and you won't go to prison. :D

To all the people who complain about Alcatraz, I think Widowmakers said it best!
Still one of the most attractive maps CC has to offer in my humble opinion.
Silvanus wrote:perch is a North Korean agent to infiltrate south Korean girls
Major perchorin

Postby natty dread on Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:17 am

See, if you only hold alcatraz, you don't have any chance to win the game, you can't move anywhere, you can't even bombard. It's effectively as if you'd lost already. So making it a losing condition would be appropriate, and it would certainly be nice to freemiums who wouldn't have to hold a gameslot for a game they can't win.

Postby MrBenn on Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:21 pm

natty_dread wrote:See, if you only hold alcatraz, you don't have any chance to win the game, you can't move anywhere, you can't even bombard. It's effectively as if you'd lost already. So making it a losing condition would be appropriate, and it would certainly be nice to freemiums who wouldn't have to hold a gameslot for a game they can't win.

Although in a teamgame, you can pass on knowledge learned from inside the rock to your partners on the outside....
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby natty dread on Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:35 pm

MrBenn wrote:
natty_dread wrote:See, if you only hold alcatraz, you don't have any chance to win the game, you can't move anywhere, you can't even bombard. It's effectively as if you'd lost already. So making it a losing condition would be appropriate, and it would certainly be nice to freemiums who wouldn't have to hold a gameslot for a game they can't win.

Although in a teamgame, you can pass on knowledge learned from inside the rock to your partners on the outside....

Fair enough... that is one aspect I didn't consider. And I guess it would also affect assassin games, where eliminating your target would be easier by 1 territory...

Postby perchorin on Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:22 pm

natty_dread wrote:
MrBenn wrote:

Fair enough... that is one aspect I didn't consider. And I guess it would also affect assassin games, where eliminating your target would be easier by 1 territory...

Also, this isn't any different from being stuck in certain of the influence terts on the Iraq map.
Silvanus wrote:perch is a North Korean agent to infiltrate south Korean girls
Major perchorin

Previous

Return to The Atlas