[GP/UI] Semi-Auto Assault

This forum is a storehouse for all Finalized Suggestions to be periodically reviewed during Feature Updates.

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[GP/UI] Semi-Auto Assault

Postby joeyjordison on Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:43 pm

Huegelkoenig wrote:Suggestion: Advanced Auto-Assault

At the moment, the Auto-Assault-Button is implemented like this:
  • Attack as long as you have more than 3 troops and the enemy has more than 0 troops.
    or
  • Attack until you have less than 4 troops OR the enemy has less than 1 troops.

My suggestions would be, to add two textboxes next to the Auto-Assault-Button, where players can enter the amount of troops, for the Auto-assault to stop, manually.

How this will benefit the site:

You often find yourself in a situation like this:
Large stacks vs large stacks.

If cyan wants to attack Maghreb, cyan has two options:
1. Choose Spain or Greece and click Auto-Assault.
2. Choose Spain or Greece and click Assault manually.

The downside of these two options are simple:
Option 1.: Cyan has to advance the remaining troops to Maghreb and his second stack of 400+ troops is left behind the border.
I know, cyan can reinforce them, but maybe cyan already needs to reinforce troops somewhere else.
Option 2.: It takes time and a lot of clicking. And i know, there are games with stacks way larger than the 400...

If you would be able to choose "Auto-Assault Spain->Maghreb until Maghreb has less than (e.g.) 5 troops", you could go on by attacking the remainaing 3 or 4 troops from Greece and have a large stack at your new border.

Another possibility would be, if cyan (in the situation above) doesnt want to conquer Maghreb, but just weaken red there.
He could choose e.g.
"Attack Spain->Maghreb until Maghreb has less than 200 troops or Spain has less than 300 troops"
and
"Attack Greece->Maghreb until Maghreb has less than 10 troops or Greece has less than 300 troops".
Cyan would end up in a situation (except he gets very very bad or very very good dice) where he has ~300 at Spain and Greece and red has ~50 troops at Maghreb.

-----------------

To prevent users from making wrong inputs, you could also consider using dropdown-menus instead of textboxes

• It should be possible to disable this feature (to reduce interface clutter) from the Control Panel.
show
Last edited by spiesr on Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: [GP/UI] Tag
Major joeyjordison

Medals: 2
Tournament Contribution (2)

Postby hecter on Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:27 pm

This has been suggested before, but not quite like this. I still think it's a good idea though.
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby Forza AZ on Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:37 am

Maybe you can make a 3rd option, which makes 10 attacks at 1 time (in stead of having to fill in a number yourself). This might be somewhat easier to implement. So you just get 3 buttons: attack, attack 10 times, auto attack.

So with 70 vs 50, you can press the 10 attack button, and then see how it turned out before you go on (or not).
Colonel Forza AZ

Medals: 80
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (13) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (7)
Tournament Contribution (30) General Contribution (2)

Postby lackattack on Sat May 19, 2007 11:40 am

I think I like the x10 concept better than specifying the number of rolls in a drop down or text field.

Since I don't want to clutter the interface, what about getting rid of the Auto-Attack button and instead having optional checkboxes below the attack button:

Auto-Attack [] x5 [] x10 [] until 3 attackers
Private 1st Class lackattack
Retired Administrator

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)

Postby wcaclimbing on Sat May 19, 2007 11:44 am

lackattack wrote:I think I like the x10 concept better than specifying the number of rolls in a drop down or text field.

Since I don't want to clutter the interface, what about getting rid of the Auto-Attack button and instead having optional checkboxes below the attack button:

Auto-Attack [] x5 [] x10 [] until 3 attackers

would we have to check it each attack, or would it remember which one you used last time?
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (2)

Postby cyberdaniel on Sat May 19, 2007 11:45 am

Or you might have the text field, or drop down box somewhere else, say in "my settings" and keep the interface the same just the auto attack button will roll up to the number specified by you in the settings page.
"Every battle has been won before it's been fought." Sun Tzu
Captain cyberdaniel

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (3)

Postby lackattack on Sat May 19, 2007 12:24 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:would we have to check it each attack, or would it remember which one you used last time?

check it each attack. the default should be normal because your next attack might be something completely different.
Retired Administrator

Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)

Postby wcaclimbing on Sat May 19, 2007 12:41 pm

lackattack wrote:
wcaclimbing wrote:would we have to check it each attack, or would it remember which one you used last time?

check it each attack. the default should be normal because your next attack might be something completely different.

to me, that doesnt sound like a great idea.
I think it should keep both the attack button and the autoattack button, with the auto-attack button defaulted at attack until 3 are left like normal, but with check boxes under just the auto-attack button.

Having to check the boxes for EVERY attack would take a lot of time, and would also just be another "I CLICKED ATTACK WITH ALL INSTEAD OF ATTACK ONCE!!! YOU NEED TO FIX THE BUTTONS!!!".

If you are going to do this, at least leave the two buttons the way they are, just add the check boxes under the Auto-attack button.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (2)

Postby lackattack on Sat May 19, 2007 3:23 pm

i think you misunderstood. the checkboxes would be optional and you attack normally if none are checked. Maybe it would need to say:

Auto-Attack (optional): [] x5 [] x10 [] until 3 attackers

Is that clear enough or will newbies be confused?
Retired Administrator

Postby happy2seeyou on Sat May 19, 2007 3:30 pm

lackattack wrote:i think you misunderstood. the checkboxes would be optional and you attack normally if none are checked. Maybe it would need to say:

Maybe instead of "attackers" you could say "armies". Some people may not get it.
Captain happy2seeyou

Medals: 40
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby AAFitz on Sat May 19, 2007 3:31 pm

lackattack wrote:i think you misunderstood. the checkboxes would be optional and you attack normally if none are checked. Maybe it would need to say:

there will undoubtedly be some new players that will be confused, and it is approaching the complicated zone, but its not too bad...its too bad you cant just have Auto [] x5 [] x10 [] all but 3

but then new players would definitely be confused
john9blue wrote:"honestly i think martin might be better off dead"

sekretar: "i go to russia and then, without comp, i hoppe, i forgot this shit who kill my nerves long time!"
Major AAFitz

Medals: 84
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (8) General Contribution (2)

Postby lackattack on Sat May 19, 2007 3:34 pm

I said attackers instead of armies to differentiate between defending armies.

How about this...

Auto: [] 5 rolls [] 10 rolls [] to the death!

EDIT: Now I'm having second thoughts about this whole thing. It will mean an extra click to do an auto-attack which would annoy me because I use it very often!
Retired Administrator

Postby happy2seeyou on Sat May 19, 2007 3:41 pm

lackattack wrote:I said attackers instead of armies to differentiate between defending armies.

How about this...

EDIT: Now I'm having second thoughts about this whole thing. It will mean an extra click to do an auto-attack which would annoy me because I use it very often!

hahaha. Nice (to the death) but I thought that was what Auto did anyways... well I guess when ever I use it. I really like the idea of this option, but I am pretty sure that newbies won't understand it. What if it was an add on option that you could use on Mozilla?
Captain happy2seeyou

Medals: 40
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby AAFitz on Sat May 19, 2007 3:49 pm

lackattack wrote:I said attackers instead of armies to differentiate between defending armies.

How about this...

i think thats the cleanest....and youre gonna get questions anyways...so it might as well be pretty i was going to suggest that exactly, but i figured you wanted to put the 3 in there...I say leave it out...much more sporting looking...

also...you may want to hold off on the auto...you might win one...i stopped using it gained 1100 points...got cocky...and lazy...used it again and lost 800
john9blue wrote:"honestly i think martin might be better off dead"

sekretar: "i go to russia and then, without comp, i hoppe, i forgot this shit who kill my nerves long time!"
Major AAFitz

Medals: 84
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (8) General Contribution (2)

Postby lackattack on Sat May 19, 2007 6:41 pm

happy2seeyou wrote:Nice (to the death) but I thought that was what Auto did anyways...

Yes, checking that off would be the equivalent of today's auto-attack button. Maybe this could be tucked away untill you click an [options] link next to the attack button. Maybe then we could also display

Advance: [] all [] none

Maybe all this should go live along with in-game popup help, which is somewhere on my to-do list...

AAFitz wrote:also...you may want to hold off on the auto...you might win one...i stopped using it gained 1100 points...got cocky...and lazy...used it again and lost 800

I dunno... I sucked at this game even before we had auto-attack :(
Retired Administrator

Next

Return to Submitted Suggestions