Conquer Club

Assured armies on first turn of games

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Fair play Troop allocation at start of game

Postby spiesr on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:45 am

Captain spiesr

Postby Funkyterrance on Tue May 07, 2013 10:42 am

Reading through all 6 pages I've had a few thoughts:

Having each player start their first turn with a lower number would be more "fair" than each player start with a higher number. This is due to the fact that in the beginning stages of a game, the relative size of a deploy makes all the difference. If you get a 5 deploy you can do much more damage to your opponent than 3 or none and the amount of damage/reach/forethought can only increase depending on the map. That being said, if any "fix" were to be added to the first turn deploy it ought to be that each player need get the same low number as opposed to high.

This suggestion, if it were to be enacted, would have to be optional. This change could affect too many maps/settings in too many different ways for it to be automatic for all games since doing so would eliminate a lot of fun options that people are used to and might actually enjoy.

1v1 games will always appear "unfair" since all of the factors of luck are amplified in these games by nature, including dice rolls. So basically if you're hoping for some kind of fix to make a 1v1 game more even, it will most likely have a nominal affect on the overall outcome of the game. The very beginning may be more even but the middle and end will generally progress to uneven, that's just how it goes with the dynamics of 1v1.

Overall I'm in favor of this suggestion being an option since it would obviously be beneficial on at least some maps/settings(the example provided where the first players got the full 6 troops and the last players got 3 springs to mind). However, I don't think it should be viewed as a cure-all for unbalanced play in a game comprised partially of luck. After all, even in chess white goes first. ;)
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby reptile on Tue May 07, 2013 10:32 pm

its not a cure all... dice will always take center stage in the 1v1's and will take a big part in the rest as well. its not intended to be a cure all and there is no such thing as a cure all...

however it is unfair for anyone to start with a disadvantage in any game. this is just one small step (one that i have no clue why it hasnt been enforced yet as it is obviously a great suggestion and just dumb that it hasnt been implimented yet) towards making things more fair for EVERYONE. if someone really leans on "who goes first"then they have wondered into the wrong site and should go play checkers or tic tac toe.

i still cant believe this has not been implemented yet. what are we waiting on?
Major reptile

Postby Funkyterrance on Wed May 08, 2013 10:11 am

reptile wrote:its not a cure all... dice will always take center stage in the 1v1's and will take a big part in the rest as well. its not intended to be a cure all and there is no such thing as a cure all...

Right, I'm agreeing with you. My point was that some people might expect this change to affect games more than it actually will.
A good way to know if this suggestion will actually be helpful would be to do a study of games in which the initial deploys actually made a difference in the outcome. If you bring actual numbers into the picture you will convince a lot more people that this change needs to be made.
reptile wrote:however it is unfair for anyone to start with a disadvantage in any game. this is just one small step (one that i have no clue why it hasnt been enforced yet as it is obviously a great suggestion and just dumb that it hasnt been implimented yet) towards making things more fair for EVERYONE. if someone really leans on "who goes first"then they have wondered into the wrong site and should go play checkers or tic tac toe.

Some people actually like the imbalance of these games in that they give them up to a 50/50 chance of having an advantage off the bat, which is good odds depending on your rank. ;)
reptile wrote:i still cant believe this has not been implemented yet. what are we waiting on?

The key is support. I'm sure there have been a lot of great suggestions in the past but if they don't draw the right amount of support(I'm not sure what the "right" amount is to be perfectly honest), they don't get enacted.

A lot of players have just chosen to avoid those games where going first dramatically affects first deploy. The reason being this site has so many options that you can easily find other options for games that are perfectly fair. Could there be even more fun options if this were enacted? Probably, but it may not be a big issue for a lot of people since they can just play something else.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Lord_Bremen on Sun May 12, 2013 9:34 pm

Everyone should just get 3 (or the map minimum) in the first round. This would be especially helpful in 1v1 when going first is a massive advantage.
Major Lord_Bremen

Postby agentcom on Wed May 15, 2013 1:52 am

reptile wrote:
however it is unfair for anyone to start with a disadvantage in any game. this is just one small step (one that i have no clue why it hasnt been enforced yet as it is obviously a great suggestion and just dumb that it hasnt been implimented yet) towards making things more fair for EVERYONE.

You are just as likely to benefit from the advantage as to suffer. In that way it is fair. Using your line of reasoning, it is "unfair" that anyone should get bad dice. However, it is completely fair in another way since the dice are random.

I'm not necessarily opposed to this as an option (as FT suggests) or as something that could be coded into a particular map (a set deploy based on whether it's your first, second, etc. turn), but I don't think that it should be the default.

Keep in mind that we are all playing a game that is based on rolling dice. Some people may disagree on how much luck should be involved, but it will always be part of the game.
Colonel agentcom

equal initial deployments

Postby marius on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:30 am

Baltic Peninsula is a perfect example
if you play one on one, the player who goes first has a 98% chance of winning
change the rules so that in round 1 both players get equal deployments. right now the player who goes first wipes out the other and so the player who goes second doesn't get equal deployment in round one
Lieutenant marius

Postby Metsfanmax on Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:36 am

MERGED
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby Donelladan on Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:38 am

I suggest, quit playing 1vs1 game, it sucks anyway, or play it only on map where who goes first almost doesnt matter :)
Colonel Donelladan

Postby reptile on Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:51 pm

*editing my book i just wrote to simply:

HOW is this not being submitted yet?

(also so many of these similar suggestions are merged its like a big circle, can we take it as a more serious suggestion?)
Major reptile

Re: equal initial deployments

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:47 am

marius wrote:Baltic Peninsula is a perfect example
change the rules so that in round 1 both players get equal deployments. right now the player who goes first wipes out the other and so the player who goes second doesn't get equal deployment in round one

I think you mean Baltic Crusades, since the new Baltics map hasn't been released yet.

If so, my win rate going second is almost as good as my win rate going first. Invite me to some games and I'll show you.

reptile wrote:*editing my book i just wrote to simply:

(also so many of these similar suggestions are merged its like a big circle, can we take it as a more serious suggestion?)

I guess they're still worried it's too radical a change.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Re: equal initial deployments

Postby chapcrap on Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:56 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
marius wrote:Baltic Peninsula is a perfect example

I think you mean Baltic Crusades, since the new Baltics map hasn't been released yet.

If so, my win rate going second is almost as good as my win rate going first. Invite me to some games and I'll show you.

reptile wrote:*editing my book i just wrote to simply:

I guess they're still worried it's too radical a change.

My guess is he meant Balkan Peninsula. viewtopic.php?t=75928
Lieutenant chapcrap

Everyone should get same # of troops at 1st turn

Postby cdub13 on Tue May 13, 2014 8:26 pm

Everyone has had games where they were taken out early before their first turn. This is just an unlucky start, but the fact that one may get less troops on the first turn seems unjust. Going first already gives an advantage and this is one advantage that should be taken away. In case I haven't been clear, I think all players should get the same number of troops on the first turn. One exception would be maybe if you happen to have bonus troops based on an area. This is not what I am trying to address. Thanks for listening and I would be interested in other opinions. I apologize if this has already been posted.
Major cdub13

Postby spiesr on Tue May 13, 2014 10:13 pm

Captain spiesr

Fixed Round 1 Deployment

Postby JPlo64 on Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:33 pm

Concise description:

Make the amount of troops that all players deploy in the 1st round of a game be determined by the the amount of territories held at the start of the game (as opposed to at the start of their turn) and make bonuses not come into play until round 2.

Specifics/Details:

All players will deploy the amount of troops they would if they were the first player to take a turn without any additional bonuses.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • Takes some luck out of the game
  • All players deploy same number of troops in Round 1.
  • Allows players to have a chance to counter a dropped bonus, thus making it less likely that a dropped bonus decides a game.
  • Takes some 1st turn advantage away in games in instances where the player with the first turn can lower opponent's deploy before their opponent gets a chance to take a turn.
Major JPlo64

Re: Fixed Round 1 Deployment

Postby iAmCaffeine on Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:52 am

How much of a difference is it going to make though? If someone drops Oceania in Classic and it doesn't count until the second turn, they still get the first turn to protect their bonus and fort, making it unlikely the second player will break anyway, and then the +2 comes into effect on the next round.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby jmyork82 on Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:20 pm

iAmCaffeine wrote:How much of a difference is it going to make though? If someone drops Oceania in Classic and it doesn't count until the second turn, they still get the first turn to protect their bonus and fort, making it unlikely the second player will break anyway, and then the +2 comes into effect on the next round.

Well, think of other maps too. It may not be much of an issue with the classic map, but when you think about all of the other maps on this site with all of the unique bonuses that are available, there is a fair point to be made here.

I can think of some 1v1 games where my opponent starts off with a bonus and there is not much that I can do to win the game from there.

I doubt this topic will gain much traction, but I do understand the concept.
Lieutenant jmyork82

Postby iAmCaffeine on Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:55 am

jmyork82 wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:How much of a difference is it going to make though? If someone drops Oceania in Classic and it doesn't count until the second turn, they still get the first turn to protect their bonus and fort, making it unlikely the second player will break anyway, and then the +2 comes into effect on the next round.

Well, think of other maps too. It may not be much of an issue with the classic map, but when you think about all of the other maps on this site with all of the unique bonuses that are available, there is a fair point to be made here.

I can think of some 1v1 games where my opponent starts off with a bonus and there is not much that I can do to win the game from there.

I doubt this topic will gain much traction, but I do understand the concept.

I used Classic because it's an obvious example. The map in case is irrelevant; the same thing would happen on any map in the scenario I used.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby mookiemcgee on Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:45 pm

Donelladan wrote:I suggest, quit playing 1vs1 game, it sucks anyway, or play it only on map where who goes first almost doesnt matter :)

^ Bump

Or play in sets of 3 or 5 or 7 games.... Or play poly, all of which will already mitigate the imbalance that will always exist. Someone will always have an advantage anyway you slice it. Someone has to be first, and someone has to be second.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby JPlo64 on Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:10 pm

Donelladan wrote:I suggest, quit playing 1vs1 game, it sucks anyway, or play it only on map where who goes first almost doesnt matter :)

One of the main points of the suggestion is to make 1v1 suck LESS
Major JPlo64

Postby JPlo64 on Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:14 pm

mookiemcgee wrote:

^ Bump

Or play in sets of 3 or 5 or 7 games.... Or play poly, all of which will already mitigate the imbalance that will always exist. Someone will always have an advantage anyway you slice it. Someone has to be first, and someone has to be second.

Yes, someone will almost always have an advantage, but this suggestion is about minimizing the advantage(or the probability of an advantage), thus resulting in a more skill-based and fun game.
Major JPlo64

Re: Assured armies on first turn of games

Postby Lord_Bremen on Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:54 am

Would it be that difficult to hard-code 3 deploy on the first round for everyone on every map?

This would eliminate a ton of [unnecessary] luck with no drawback whatsoever.
Major Lord_Bremen

Postby JPlo64 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:02 pm

Lord_Bremen wrote:Would it be that difficult to hard-code 3 deploy on the first round for everyone on every map?

Yes! Shouldn't be difficult
Major JPlo64

Postby WingCmdr Ginkapo on Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:05 pm

Lord_Bremen wrote:Would it be that difficult to hard-code 3 deploy on the first round for everyone on every map?

So basically move the issue of 1v1;s being massively luck based from turn 1 to turn 2! Fantastic.

Or not.
Major WingCmdr Ginkapo

Postby Conchobar on Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:06 am

I appreciate the purpose behind you idea. I really do despise maps that allow a bonus to be dropped.
Italy, for example, is ridiculous like that. Surely it wouldn't be difficult to fix these maps so bonuses are neutral or just can't be dropped in their entirety?

I know some people enjoy an element of luck and maps like Pearl Harbor are beyond repair.
But it has so many bonuses dropped that it actually evens out in the long run.
Some of the older, standard maps though should be a really easy fix.
Like Montreal, for instance. Just make Downtown neutral! Problem solved.
I thank you. 8-)
Colonel Conchobar

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions